• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think the Nintendo Switch is a good value at $299?

• Yes

Votes: 1,338 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 868 39.3%

• Total voters

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
This is how I see it. The Switch definitely has the games. But from a pure hardware perspective, you could get a Series S for the same price. I wouldn't be surprised if they either...
  1. Phase out the existing Switch for an enhanced version at the same price point.
  2. Drop the price of the existing Switch upon the arrival of said enhanced Switch.

I'm thinking number 2. I believe they can get by with one more holiday season at $299 but next year when the Pro comes out, they'll probably insert it at that price point. I'm not sure how they position the current model and the Lite in terms of price though. If they dropped $50 off current Switch they're gonna have to drop $50 off the lite and I dont see them selling the latter that cheap. Then again, Switch has been a roaring sales success so maybe there is some wiggle room for that but the market is telling them $199/$299 is still fine based on hardware sales. There is a third option of the Pro releasing at $349, dropping the current to $249, and the Lite to $169 or something like that. *Shrugs* to all of those pricing theories though, who really knows.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I was of the impression it's as much about accessing the ecosystem as much as the price based on the 'worth' of the hardware spec-wise. Same reason the iPhone is priced at its levels while a similarly spec phone can be sold for considerably less. You're paying to access IOS.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Yes it's worth the money. The Switch has hundreds of quality titles - Nintendo first party, Indies, even third party support. And I love the hybrid nature of the device. Even after only three years, it's become my favourite console and handheld of all time.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Not for me. The 3DS is still the superior handheld with the superior library. The true exclusives of the Switch aren't even that amazing and there are way too many remakes and remasters that I already own on Wii and Wii U.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It's a solid travel device but in terms of power and exclusive games, I can't say that I'm the biggest fan. Usually I only play when I'm abroad. If you don't care about portability, you can get a much more powerful console with the Series S for the same price. So I hope Nintendo releases either an enhanced Switch for the same price or drops the current price.

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
Xbox will never be a good value for the market if it don't have what they want i.e exclusive big brand games.
I don't give two shits about next gen consoles irrespective of how "great value" they are. My pc may be a bit expensive than them but it does vastly more things than they are capable of. That is a big value for me.
This is similar to switch, it has games that me and my family wants to play and a convenience that are not there on pc. Hence it's a good investment.
Microsoft can sell the Xbox series x at $50 with a year of game pass subscription, but I still won't give a second look at it because it doesn't have the software I want.

And judging by the sales most of the spending consumers think so.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
It's the only way to play Nintendo games, it's a portable device, its follow-up is still at least a year away. So yeah, my opinion is that it's still worth its price. Worth goes down if you don't plan to use it as a handheld though.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
- It runs Nintendo Games
- It runs games anywhere

Yeah, it has value for people that look for at least one of those things.

Scarlet0Pimp

Feb 4, 2018
I regret getting mine back in May tbh. I got the animal crossing version a pair of extra joy cons a pro controller and a few games. Played Mario Kart alot when it first arrived with my son but he is bored of it now and the other games we just dont enjoy, Smash Bros, Tetris 99 and Splatoon 2. We played a few NES and SNES games that you got with online, but not even got it plugged in any more since it was just getting dusty and my young daughter kept messing with it in the dock.
I bought Crysis for it for the novelty, but its so uncomfortable to play with the tiny buttons in had held mode and quite heavy gives me craps in my hands after half an hour. So not even completed the first level of Crysis.
To make matters worse the Joy Cons that came with the console started to drift like crazy after only a month. Hopefully it will still command a decent price once the new consoles come out so i can trade it in.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Xbox One will lose its value over being inferior and obsolete compared to the upcoming gen, but I don`t see how the value preposition of the Switch is affected.
Depends on the "value preposition". I don't care for the portable side of the Switch for example. Most games aren't even optimized for handheld play, with tiny text size and such. So if I'm looking for a console to be used in a home cinema setup with big surround speakers and a 86" TV, an option which the Switch technically offers, XBox Series S gives me better hardware for the same price.

I'm talking hardware, not games. From a technical standpoint, the Switch itself doesn't offer a home cinema experience nearly as good as XBox, with compressed audio (and often only stereo sound), bad image quality and even worse performance, but costs the same.

It depends of what you're looking for, so of course the answers here differ from person to person. Some say "Yes, because it can play Zelda!" Others say "No, because games run in 720p, 30fps and stereo sound, in the year 2020!"

This is how I see it. The Switch definitely has the games. But from a pure hardware perspective, you could get a Series S for the same price. I wouldn't be surprised if they either...
  1. Phase out the existing Switch for an enhanced version at the same price point.
  2. Drop the price of the existing Switch upon the arrival of said enhanced Switch.
Yeah.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Depends on the "value preposition". I don't care for the portable side of the Switch for example. Most games aren't even optimized for handheld play, with tiny text size and such. So if I'm looking for a console to be used in a home cinema setup with big surround speakers and a 86" TV, an option which the Switch technically offers, XBox Series S gives me better hardware for the same price.

I'm talking hardware, not games. From a technical standpoint, the Switch itself doesn't offer a home cinema experience nearly as good as XBox, with compressed audio (and often only stereo sound), bad image quality and even worse performance, but costs the same.

It depends of what you're looking for, so of course the answers here differ from person to person. Some say "Yes, because it can play Zelda!" Others say "No, because games run in 720p, 30fps and stereo sound, in the year 2020!"

Yeah.

I pointed out that the current Xbox One will lose value. You pointed out that Nintendo Switch has already no value for you.

So yeah.