• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think the Nintendo Switch is a good value at $299?

• Yes

Votes: 1,338 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 868 39.3%

• Total voters
Jan 10, 2018
A home console releasing in 2 months has more power than a hybrid which released in spring of 2017.

Who would have thought.

Oct 26, 2017
The Vita is a good example. Both 3DS and Vita were released at 250€, having the 3DS weaker hardware (by a huge margin). Both had good price cuts on the following months (both were 70€ cheaper before the year the systems were released ended), being the 3DS a surprise considering how Nintendo manages their prices.

But the 3DS, even if it was less powerful and had the 3D thing that nobody liked, sold like 5-6 times what Vita sold, and this is because Nintendo decided to developer more software for the system and Sony abandoned it really quickly and only niche Japanese games were released for the Vita during the following years.

So keeping software releases for the system seems an important point of the "value" of buying a system.
Yeah, I think people on Era tend to forget that most folk tend to hold software libraries up higher than the tech of the systems. Not that that's all they care for but, so as long as the system is affordable, people don't care quite as much. The GameCube got dropped to $100 early into it's life and it's sales never picked up. More recently, the PS4/XB1 don't exactly have mind-blowing tech for $300 anymore. It's the games people want. So as long as they're good and people know about them, it'll sell your system

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It's easily worth it, and will be even moreso with a price drop. And yeah I'm already down to upgrade to a pro one if rumors are true.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
It's also a handheld, and it plays all Nintendo games on the go, so yes, and the demand shows it.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
You buy consoles to play games. The Nintendo Switch has a ton of great games. So yes.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to play Nintendo games, yes. If you want the ability to play many different games portably, yes. If you're just going to hook it up to your TV and aren't particularly enthused by Nintendo's stuff, it's a waste of money.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
I mean 299 + RingFit is already cheaper and yet more fun than most home exercising machines without sacrificing effectiveness.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Actually tech was not dated when Switch was launched, when Switch was launched Tegra X1 was less than 2 years old.

Maybe Tegra X1 was relatively new but compared to the tech of the current gen consoles and cell phones, and the freaking 720p screen, it did not feel like a new game console. I still bought one but it was more like i had to put up with the inferior graphics/performance to play some cool Nintendo games instead of being wowed or impressed by what i was seeing and playing. I understand other people feel differently but I don't remember anyone being wowed by anything the Switch was outputting to HDMI or the 720p Handheld screen.

I still think its worth it for me to have the Switch, but I in no way think its worth $300 now. Nintendo is in the process of developing an upgraded version for a reason.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Tegra X1 was relatively new but compared to the tech of the current gen consoles and cell phones, and the freaking 720p screen, it did not feel like a new game console. I still bought one but it was more like i had to put up with the inferior graphics/performance to play some cool Nintendo games instead of being wowed or impressed by what i was seeing and playing. I understand other people feel differently but I don't remember anyone being wowed by anything the Switch was outputting to HDMI or the 720p Handheld screen.

I still think its worth it for me to have the Switch, but I in no way think its worth $300 now. Nintendo is in the process of developing an upgraded version for a reason.
That doesn't change the fact that it has more modern tech than the PS4/XB1. It's a portable system, not sure what exactly you were expecting. It's not like smartphones in 2017 were or even necessarily could run BotW-level games. This would be like comparing the Vita to the PS3 and wondering why it doesn't have anything as impressive as The Last of Us. In my own group, which isn't Nintendo friendly, they were impressed that something so small could run these big games and I was more or less the same till I got used to it

That's no different than Sony and Microsoft putting out updated versions of their systems

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
People make a great effort here to shit on Nintendo lmao.

TheRatedD

Apr 15, 2018
Considering the fact that I got the Gamestop Black Friday deal from a couple years ago (a Switch with Mario Kart 8, and a $50 gift card, all for just $300) I can't say I think a new Switch alone at $300 is a good deal. That said, I know the deal I got was amazing, but you can understand where I'm coming from. Regardless, it has great exclusives, and I can't wait for the 3D Mario collection here in a couple weeks.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Why would there be a price cut. The thing is selling like hot cakes.

It's still too expensive for casual families I think. My sister's family almost got one last year for christmas but they decided to buy more wii u games instead and get more mileage out of that system. A $250 price tag would go far to get people buying more I think, but I definitely understand them not doing a price cut.

But it seems to be goodwill to offer something more on a system that's been out for awhile. Playstation systems get pack-in deals pretty quick.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

Tech and power are different things, Switch tech is couple years newer tech than current gen has.
Switch like real hybrid and with detachable Joy Cons felt like true next gen, only if you look through power it didn't, Switch was impresive for what represents, I mean running full current gen games on portable form factor is impressive.
We talking about hybrid in portable form factor, so there are restrictions what kind of power and hardware you can put in it.

Yeah the Switch launch a little over a year after the Google Pixel C tablet did (a tablet with the same Tegra X1 processor), and that was $500-$600.

As for price drops ... good luck with that when its the best selling game system on the planet. Microsoft has to price Series S at $299.99 because they are the lowest selling hardware manufacturer.

Agree, MS is forced to have very low price point and to sell its hardware to quite a loss, on other hand 3.5 years later Nintendo is still selling Switch at launch price point.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
It's still too expensive for casual families I think. My sister's family almost got one last year for christmas but they decided to buy more wii u games instead and get more mileage out of that system. A $250 price tag would go far to get people buying more I think, but I definitely understand them not doing a price cut.

But it seems to be goodwill to offer something more on a system that's been out for awhile. Playstation systems get pack-in deals pretty quick.

That doesn't make sense. Your family does not represent the world. Once it is selling enough then there is no reason to price cut. What company would price cut their own product for no reason?

We will see how it sells after the other four consoles are out.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
yes and no.

sure it's good value if you want to play mario/pokemon/zelda etc. but the thing cost £280 here and we're about to get the Series S which is £250 and will play way more games and will be good for the next 6-7 years.

i think nintendo need to really think about a price cut. maybe drop the lite to £149, standard switch to £229 and offer a Pro model for £329.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Majority of 'essential' Switch games are ports of titles I already have. So I'm basing this on tech, and for me £280 is ridiculous. I can't believe it hasn't had a price reduction in 3 years. So no, it's not good value.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yes and no.

sure it's good value if you want to play mario/pokemon/zelda etc. but the thing cost £280 here and we're about to get the Series S which is £250 and will play way more games and will be good for the next 6-7 years.

i think nintendo need to really think about a price cut. maybe drop the lite to £149, standard switch to £229 and offer a Pro model for £329.

Apples and oranges.

The same argument was used when switch launched. People said you can an xbox or PS4 for similar price and those two had a much deeper catalogue of games etc etc etc.

The hybrid form factor is the big pull as well as Nintendo software.

I agree the Xbox S looks incredible value but what it brings is different to the switch.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I think it all depends on the games. Not gonna lie that XSS attracts me, but then I think that I don't play the mainstream games. I choose Nintendo and Sony for their Ips, and Xbox Ips don't attract me in the slightest.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Value is a pretty subjective and personal thing.

There are many games that I was glad to pay full price for and thought that they were bargains and I have seen other people claim they wouldn't want to pay more than $20 for the game. Neither person is wrong.

Everyone will always be happier to pay less for something. No one is going to cry if the PS5 releases for $300 instead of $500.

For convenience and the fact that you get a handheld and regular console for $299 for me and a lot of other people the Switch has amazing value. But if you are just going to keep it plugged into the tv all the time and don't like some of the unique software on the system I can see people thinking it is shit value.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Once the Series S is out there's definitely an argument that could be made but I would still lean towards the Switch. Having said that, with an upgraded version of the Switch looming on the horizon I would be more hesitant to recommend someone to run out and buy a Switch right now than a Series S, because even if they have no interest in the upgraded unit they'll presumably be able to get the current Switch for notably less at that time. BUT just on first party output alone Nintendo blows MS out of the water (this coming from a Halo & Gears fan) and even in terms of 3rd parties+indies I think the Switch is fairly comparable to what the Series S will have on day 1. Also, it's both a portable and a console (excluding the Lite) which I guess is something you can kind of achieve with xCloud on Android but it's not the same.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
That doesn't make sense. Your family does not represent the world. Once it is selling enough then there is no reason to price cut. What company would price cut their own product for no reason?

We will see how it sells after the other four consoles are out.

How about building good will? How about competing with Sony and Microsoft, who do have game bundles and price cuts?
Look I get it, but your eagerness to the corporate philosophy is chilling.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
that will of course be subjective, but Switches are still flying off shelves at their current price so evidently enough people think it's a good value at the moment for it to not get a price drop

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
How about building good will? How about competing with Sony and Microsoft, who do have game bundles and price cuts?
Nintendo clearly is dancing at their own beat. They really have no reason to directly compete And just do their thing.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
it's library say "yes", the hardware says "no" ... your choice
This is how I see it. The Switch definitely has the games. But from a pure hardware perspective, you could get a Series S for the same price. I wouldn't be surprised if they either...
  1. Phase out the existing Switch for an enhanced version at the same price point.
  2. Drop the price of the existing Switch upon the arrival of said enhanced Switch.

Darth_Kramer

Aug 17, 2020
Easily, between the robust collection of first party games and the handy handheld option I feel I've easily gotten well over that value wise

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
$250 might be a bit more reasonable, but I've been 100% satisfied with my launch day Switch. I never want to be tethered to a TV again, although I love the option - Luigi's Mansion 3 looks absolutely stellar on my tee vee.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017

"eagerness to the corporate philosophy" Dude, what are you even talking about?

They literally can't keep the systems on the shelves. Why would they price drop? Building goodwill for who? People are buying their games and consoles. What goodwill?

This sounds like a personal issue you have.

I wonder if MS or Sony would show some goodwill and sell their consoles to be for $50 each.

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
Of course it is. The hybrid functionality and a stellar library of games offer a good value. It's a unique console on the market. Not everything is about specs.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hardware wise? it's definitely due for a price drop. 300 usd can get you a nice ass chinese phone these days.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does it offer the games you want in a quantity where you won't get bored?
If so, then buy it.
Sure would be nice for Nintendo to drop the price after 3 1/2 years, but why should they? This thing is a cash cow
and is selling like hot cakes. Sure the Series S offers more power for the price, but it would be a bad value for me.
Why? Because I dislike 90% of AAA stuff, most Microsoft games bore me and newer titles are years down the road.

It's always about the software, about the games and maybe even about other feature to complement it.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
A home console releasing in 2 months has more power than a hybrid which released in spring of 2017.

Who would have thought.
*for exactly the same price

Yeah.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It's got an incredibly well rounded library if you're not obsessed with the latest AAA releases from third parties.

If anybody voting "No" expected otherwise... welll... 🤡

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
nevermind the price. let's talk about how expensive games on that console are. that's the biggest detractor for me

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Like someone said, value is a pretty subjective and personal thing,
but generally locking Switch is selling like crazy so it has good value for general market.