• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is the 2020 election the last chance for American democracy?

• Yes...vote like our country depends on it. Trumpism must be defeated

Votes: 400 49.3%
  • No, we are headed towards fascism sooner or later. Biden is only a stopgap.

Votes: 45 5.5%
  • I have some bad news. We lost our democracy on November 3, 2016

Votes: 25 3.1%
  • American democracy has been dead for a long time. Trump is just the inevitable conclusion

Votes: 215 26.5%
  • Not sure/don't care

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • I disagree strongly...we are nowhere close to fascism

Votes: 72 8.9%
  • America is going to get more deranged, anti science, and racist (as usual) but our basic democratic

Votes: 41 5.0%

• Total voters

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I don't think it'd be the end of democracy, but it would be a bleak period of minority rule and would further damage to our reputation, as well as cause irreversible damage to our climate. And maybe the end of the US as the sole superpower. But I don't think it means we could never get back (or get to) a system where the wills of the majority would be reflected again. We'd just need to get the guillotines out

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call a corporatocracy a true democracy. Even then, almost half the country would probably vote to dismantle the country and its institutions, anyway. Having said that, things can always get worse (and will keep on doing so until people are willing to fight).

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
American Democracy started to die when Ronald Reagan introduce Neoliberalism in the 1980s.
That was the point where the course was set towards a power structure when a small elite owns most of the countries wealth and gets to make most the crucial political decisions for the country.

Quickly this financial elite bought politicians and media outlets to push narratives justifying their own interests as national policy.

If we looked at the rise in GDP and real wages, we saw similar trajectories until the 80s. After Reagans reforms GDP continued to rise while real wages stagnated.
The discrepancy between the two trajectories represents trillions of dollars. This money made the new ruling class of the United States.
Today, 40 years later, the US has long been declared an Oligarchy by most serious pol. sci. institutions.

The reality of this disenfranchisement of the middle class obviously impacts people, but they didn't know what was going wrong, which made them susceptible to demagogues.
Before Trump, the US had two neoliberal parties taking turns not changing anything and not daring to challenge the new system that had secretly been introduced to the US by Reagan.

But Trump is a straight-up fascist now, so it's a new level of bad.
The US is now in need of a revolution. A vote won't do.
Biden won't change anything and the next generation of fascists will be ready in 2024. They will likely be much more competent than Trump is and competence is really not a trait you'd like to see in a fascist.

BlueGeezer

Oct 28, 2017
How about no only the last chance to be in its current form without a revolution. If trump gets in again then I would imagine there would be some form of uprising leading to change (good or bad who knows).

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
America has needed major reforms since forever, Trump didn't change that, he just made it even more abdsurdly obvious.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
We're definitely at a crossroads here. Once the courts go, that's probably it. At least for our lifetime.

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
America is a Corporatocracy. Trump is a symptom of that.

I disagree. We've had a corporatocracy for decades. Corporations want stability and a compliant populace in order to maximize profit. Trump only provides chaos and rage.

Trump started with Newt Gingrich in the '90s. Trump is a symptom of over 20 years of straight-up GOP propaganda and hate speech masquerading as news on Fox. Trump is a symptom of the dumbing down over decades of our school system curriculums. Of extreme gerrymandering. Trump is a symptom of a populace and a news media that no longer cares or is informed enough to be a check against tyranny and foreign subversion. The GOP machine has weaponized their constituents against America itself.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
If Trump wins, it will be because he successfully managed to keep millions of votes from being counted. And most likely then was vindicated by the Supreme Court. That will provide a blueprint for the GOP to repeat in the future. So, yes, democracy is literally at stake.

I'd like to point out that this "cheat to win, then make cheating legal" strategy is hardly new to the GOP, or Trump. But the number of votes that are not counted is going to be higher than ever before, guaranteed, win or lose.

And then something has to be done about this shit. The GOP can not be allowed to continue stopping people from voting, or stopping votes from counting.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Democrats do it too. They are just more sneaky about it and want to do it in the primary rather than the general election like the GOP. You have state parties purging registered voters, having incredible rules for switching party allegiance (like having to do it a ridiculous amount of time before the actual primary), and having multiple primaries that all go toward the same general election. All of this stuff leads to people being unable to vote in a primary election or to fewer people participating in the process.

The GOP tactics are super obvious and blatant with ridiculous voter ID stuff, the poll tax for felons in Florida, and closing of polling places, but to say that only one party engages in this practice or that I need to be quiet for bringing it up is not great.

Parties are organizations, not governments. They are allowed to have their own rules. That is not remotely the same thing as the GOP does. That is some seriously flawed "both sides" bullshit.

Of course, in a country with only two viable parties, yes, it is still problematic. But it is not the same.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Even if Trump wins, it's not going to be fascism/authoritarianism in the way that most people think. We're probably not looking at old school Soviet Union tanks driving down the street or Hitler-esque military ceremonies as a precursor to invasion of our neighbors. It's more a cyberpunk-style authoritarian world where wealth corporatists can essentially do whatever they want to the extent that "government" is just another arm of the rich. The authoritarianism aspect will come from the rich who will have everything. In essence, it will look more like a neofeudal corporate future in my opinion.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
wish i could've voted for "American democracy has been dead a long time. Trump is just the inevitable conclusion" and "No, we are headed towards fascism sooner or later. Biden is only a stopgap", because both are true

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you could make a pretty strong case that democracy never really "worked" in america in the first place

Our country was designed from the onset for elites to rule over the working class and that divide has only become more severe as the disparity between the haves and the have nots has grown.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump is the inevitable conclusion. Both parties went in on the crony capitalism, both parties allowed the American worker to drown without throwing them a life jacket, and both parties have sadly leaned in on the racism or racism apologia. This is what America is, at its core, Donald Trump is just the mask off version, the one that lacks the veneer of civility.

I think you could make a pretty strong case that democracy never really "worked" in america in the first place

It certainly hasn't worked for everyone, not ever.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Trump has shown that sycophants in Congress and the Courts can absolutely enable tyranny in the good ol' US of A. The founders did not anticipate this level of corruption and all the gentleman's agreements stuff have to be enabled in the Constitution by law. Executive orders have to be curbed (maybe max 5 a term or something so they have to use it only when necessary). Imagine if there was a corrupt GOP candidate this brazen but smart enough to hide and much more charismatic. Trump has shown the US is not above a dictatorship given the right swampy mix of Party over country.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
All of these options basically rely on a binary understanding of how democracies and government work.

Last chance? Like forever? No.
Are we in for a real fucking shitshow of a time for the forseeable future if he wins? Absolutely.
Has American "democracy" basically been an oligarchy stoking the flames of whatever cultural touchpoints maxmizes their profits (and thus control)? 100% yes.
Is there any reason to hope for a more just and equitable future? 100% yes.

There's not like a definitive answer to this.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
If you can't win 2020 you guys are done for(as in if the last 4 years weren't enough to make you win over the lunatics what will be?) like the real question is if you win can you prevent a smarter trump from taking 2024, 2028, 2032 or are you going to forget and let the scum of the earth reign again. Also don't forget about taking congress it's not just about the presidency.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
We are fucked if he gets re-elected. No chance of recovery.

If Biden wins, we stave it off for 4 more years and hope to god either the battered GOP re-discover some semblance of American values or they never win another election.

Our position in the world is assuredly ruined though, no matter what. And I don't see Biden slashing executive power.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Trump won in 2016 due to massive voter suppression and propaganda efforts. He's in an even worse position in 2020 and is redoubling his efforts, nevermind having staggering more power to suppress the vote. It's difficult to imagine a scenario where Trump wins a second term in such a manner, let alone what that means he's done to our electoral process in order to win. From there, who could trust Trump would then step down after his second term and things go back to "normal?" All evidence points to Republicans embracing this corruption of our Democracy and working to further it in their own favor. It would get worse, not better.

I want to believe that the USA could push through Trump winning a second term. That our state election structure would enable Democrats to retake the Senate so as to check Trump or further Republican presidential nominees' power regardless of Republican federal-level corruption. But I don't have faith in that. This feels like a last effort. Or worse, like we've already failed our last effort and just don't fully realize it yet. If not for 2018 I'd have little faith in our national-level election process.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
genuinely rules how it's august and we still have this tier of take

What does this even mean. Does the policy history of candidates not matter? Does the current state of the party they are heading not matter?

The platform that Biden is running on is still a neoliberal platform and what has his campaign done to inspire confidence that they will adhere to their progressive platitudes other than championing Bernie's political corpse? Give more of a platform to Republicans than actual progressives at the DNC? Fucking LOL

The idea that simply voting Trump away will solve the problems that lead to his ascension are incredibly naive. The American political and electoral system birthed Trump as a result of its institutions. He is not an anomaly.

And he will not be the last.

Kind of delusional to think that America was perfect until Trump getting elected spun things out of control.

If anything it just brought to the surface things a lot of folks already knew.

No, you see everything was fine until Trump took office. All we need to do is get rid of the big orange man and prosperity will be restored.

Last edited:

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I voted for the first option, but I hate the term "Trumpism." He is not unique, and he is not separate from the Republican Party. He is just its next natural evolutionary step.

And really, this administration has made all too clear just how broken our institutions are. We are staring vast systemic failures of design in the face, and winning this election doesn't even begin to fix it. It is only the first step of many. I don't see how even a congress full of the smoothest, most brilliant political operators could unfuck all this in 8 years, even if they wanted to. This is why it's so important that things like DC statehood and making election day a federal holiday need to happen the very moment it is within the Democrats' power.

This is our last out, we're down by six, and nobody's on base.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The platform that Biden is running on is still a neoliberal platform and what has his campaign done to inspire confidence that they will adhere to their progressive platitudes other than championing Bernie's political corpse? Give more of a platform to Republicans than actual progressives at the DNC? Fucking LOL
if you don't get why i'm mocking your takes after this post where i snip-quote the part of this post where you're cribbing from this site's wing of people who got approximately every major take of the year (and frankly the last 5) dead wrong, you're going to have a hard time getting much of anything

Nov 21, 2017
Hate to say this, but I'm from the history field, but American has never been a democracy. Its constitution republic. U.S Constitution is the rule of law in the United States.

Last edited:

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Democrats do it too. They are just more sneaky about it and want to do it in the primary rather than the general election like the GOP. You have state parties purging registered voters, having incredible rules for switching party allegiance (like having to do it a ridiculous amount of time before the actual primary), and having multiple primaries that all go toward the same general election. All of this stuff leads to people being unable to vote in a primary election or to fewer people participating in the process.

The GOP tactics are super obvious and blatant with ridiculous voter ID stuff, the poll tax for felons in Florida, and closing of polling places, but to say that only one party engages in this practice or that I need to be quiet for bringing it up is not great.

Yes, machine politics in some blue states are kind of shitty, but the two are in no way equivalent.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone needs to vote against Trump. If you dont you are responsible for the disastrous future you and everyone else will live through.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is set in stone. Trump winning would suck but things can only get worse if we collectively let it happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Some of you all seem very comfortable with the idea of continuing down this path we're on.

No, we're not all gonna be okay if Trump wins again and is defeated in 2024.

N0xtis

Nov 19, 2019
NJ, USA
Well if Trump wins then it's KO for American democracy; however, even if Biden wins that is not the end of our journey towards fascism. Trump-ism, the GOP, QANON, fox news, etc. will still be here after. So, a Biden win is only going to stall it's momentum. I think we will be on the edge of one Republican president from fascism unfortunately for some time.

In order to avoid that, a Biden administration is going to have to work its ass off and keep democrats in control of congress. Assuming, dems also get control of the senate.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
republicans are only going to get more bold from here on out. the only chance we got is if we vote them out before they can rig the vote.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
if you don't get why i'm mocking your takes after this post where i snip-quote the part of this post where you're cribbing from this site's wing of people who got approximately every major take of the year (and frankly the last 5) dead wrong, you're going to have a hard time getting much of anything

ah yes I too love not making arguments

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
A shocking number of folks think that democrats, "the left", "Antifa", Black Lives Matter, and all affiliated parties are the true fascists and if Biden wins this year that democracy is truly over for this country.

So yeah, no matter what "side" of this you're on November 3rd could be a great or miserable day.

Theworld

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 6, 2020
It's more a cyberpunk-style authoritarian world where wealth corporatists can essentially do whatever they want to the extent that "government" is just another arm of the rich. The authoritarianism aspect will come from the rich who will have everything.

The rich already have everything. The population was left with just enough to not go in the streets and riots. It worked for some decades and it clearly doesn't work anymore, as we can see with what's happening in the world.

You're already living in that dystopian future you're describing.

A shocking number of folks think that democrats, "the left", "Antifa", Black Lives Matter, and all affiliated parties are the true fascists and if Biden wins this year that democracy is truly over for this country.

So yeah, no matter what "side" of this you're on November 3rd could be a great or miserable day.

Except Biden never crossed all the lines Trump did when he was VP, as far as politic go at least. The duo Obama/Biden never turned the US upside-down afaik, Obama always had unity of the population at heart. Regardless of whose side your on, it's hard to deny something is very, very wrong with the way Trump is managing the country.

Last edited:

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
The rich already have everything. The population was left with just enough to not go in the streets and riots. It worked for some decades and it clearly doesn't work anymore, as we can see with what's happening in the world.

You're already living in that dystopian future you're describing.

That's the part that will be different. They won't even leave the scraps anymore. There will only be the ultra-rich and the extremely poor.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

Because people think violence = fascism not understanding that politics is nothing but the application of violence.

Perhaps in a couple decades things will be good again.

When were things ever good? I don't understand the rose tinted glasses for life before 2016.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Some people never miss a chance to discourage people from voting even in a thread made in the context of scheme to discount votes.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Democracies become dictatorships on a fairly regular basis when you look through history. It is just an inevitability, I think.