• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is the 2020 election the last chance for American democracy?

• Yes...vote like our country depends on it. Trumpism must be defeated

Votes: 400 49.3%
  • No, we are headed towards fascism sooner or later. Biden is only a stopgap.

Votes: 45 5.5%
  • I have some bad news. We lost our democracy on November 3, 2016

Votes: 25 3.1%
  • American democracy has been dead for a long time. Trump is just the inevitable conclusion

Votes: 215 26.5%
  • Not sure/don't care

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • I disagree strongly...we are nowhere close to fascism

Votes: 72 8.9%
  • America is going to get more deranged, anti science, and racist (as usual) but our basic democratic

Votes: 41 5.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legitimately, what does this mean?

Like in a practical, functional sense, what does this mean? We're all just dead? The country blew up? He wins and on November 8th everyone who didn't vote for him just eats a bullet or leaves?

On a basic level, stuff like Operation Legend and what happened at Portland would not be limited to just a couple of states, it would morph into a common thing and you could say goodbye to peaceful protesting.

RBG is running on fumes at this point, so that's another supreme court turning conservative. Breyer is also getting close, he's 82 and would be 86 at the end of the next term, and that's without any surprises like cancer or etc.

Corruption would be at an even higher scale, because who is going to go after them, Barr's DoJ?

And that's not even going into things that would be harder to pull like a third term, going after his political rivals for real and not just posturing, etc.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
On a basic level, stuff like Operation Legend and what happened at Portland would not be limited to just a couple of states, it would morph into a common thing and you could say goodbye to peaceful protesting.

RGB is running on fumes at this point, so that's another supreme court turning conservative. Breyer is also getting close, he's 82 and would be 86 at the end of the next term, and that's without any surprises like cancer or etc.

Corruption would be at an even higher scale, because who is going to after them, Barr's DoJ?

And that's not even going into things that would be harder to pull like a third term, going after his political rivals for real and not just posturing, etc.
This doesn't paint a picture of "no chance of recovery" to me. Plenty of other countries have gone further than what you're even describing here and the people have fought their way back.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't paint a picture of "no chance of recovery" to me. Plenty of other countries have gone further than what you're even describing here and the people have fought their way back.

Of course many countries went further than that, many had to deal with even the military.

But in how many of those countries did the government had the backing of over a third of the population, same group which is armed to the teeth, and the cops?

Unfortunately the sheer amount of guns and the massive militarization of the police makes a true revolt or pushback multiple times harder than what it would be elsewhere.

BTW I'm not trying in any way to shape this into american exceptionalism. It's actually ironic that the devotion to guns and the second amendment made applying it basically impossible, since the nuts with the guns are siding with the fascists who are ruining the country.

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
If I could force it, we would address the super loud and obnoxiously aggressive apathetic people first.

So quick to talk about how nothing can be done, and how both sides are really the same actually, and how the ship has long sailed, but wont miss a fucking BEAT to show up during anything that has to do with the left generating energy or momentum....

Primary candidate chosen? They are right there to shit all over the discussion and doomsay every step of the way.

VP chosen? Yep, right there to push the same nonsense.

Democratic Convention? Let me tell you about how much everyone there sucks and how I wont listen to any of the speeches because nothing matters.

If you don't care, if you don't and wont vote, and if everything and everyone is equally bad and already doomed, then go to your box and sit and leave everyone else alone while you wait on Armageddon with the Evangelicals man.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's certainly one of its last chances to show it actually gives a shit about it. Genuinely I will be planning my exit from the US if this country fails a second time and re-elects him.

yeah im also seriously considering my options for leaving the country next year if trump wins again.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Don't screw up guys... America is already a half assed democracy (3M more people voted for Clinton, that is the population of entire countries.... yet she was not elected)

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Biden has my lukewarm vote, but this country is heading down a drain. Not the man's fault, but this is America.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
It's been over for awhile. At least since Vietnam and 68.

Money rules, not people.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Sadly, I feel even if Biden wins, the train has left the station.
There will be more Trumps. I feel like Republicans are going to drag this entire county to its knees and then set everything on fire.
So while I'm excited at Biden possibly winning to stem some of the damage that has been done, I don't think all this is magically
going away.
I mean, in 2024, if Biden wins this year, he will likely have Nikki Haley, DJT Jr, Ivanka, Ben Shapiro, and others vying for the presidency.
And everything I've seen in the last 4 years says that they absolutely could win, and continue the march into...whatever the hell
we are marching into.

For the first time in my life, I hate living in the US and wish I was not born here. Complete corrupt broken shitshow of a country.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
With the surveillance and tech available becoming ever more advanced I can't see how a resistance could ever overcome those in power in the near future.

Whoever is sitting down when the music stops will be impossible to move, only within their own group could change happen.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
That democracy already failed is evident by those people here in this thread and generally, that blindly believe that fascism is impossible because it either hadn't happened yet or that the check and balances would stop it.

Democracy isn't possible because you take it for granted, it is possible because people fight for it, defend it, and are healthily paranoic about other elements trying to subvert it!

So maybe you sleep better closing your eyes and telling yourself that a fascist takeover isn't possible. Don't be surprised when you wake up in the Fascist states of America.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
There won't be a peaceful transition of power, in that sense the American democracy was already lost after the 2016 election.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honest question, what is the likelyhood of conservative vs liberal violence we should be expecting this November, and if so, what should I do to prepare myself and my family? I dont know how bad things will get later this year, and im pretty terrified.