Is Quiet the worst character design this gem?

• Yes

• Unfortunately not

Results are only viewable after voting.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
I prefer honesty with the explanation of the design, it's much better say "yeah it's a horny design" than some bullshit explanation. I still laugh about Quiet "breathing through her skin".

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Kojima's first tweet regarding Quiet's design was the real honest reason.

twitter.com

HIDEO_KOJIMA on Twitter

“The initial target is to make u want to do cosplay or its figurine to sell well.”

The words and deeds comment came afterwards after he received backlash for the above comment. But it only ended up making the situation worse. Should have stuck to his guns.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
A lot of the time it actually does. Oftentimes the rules of character design are thrown out in favor of the designer's personal fetishes. Which they speak about openly in interviews and such. When you see a character like Link, every aspect of his design tells you about his role. Every little belt, piece of equipment, pouches, etc. you get the full picture:
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Folliebarder%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F10%2Fzelda_breath_art_new-1200x675.jpg

meanwhile, sexualized character designs often look like an almagation of the designer's fetishes and/or designed to appeal to a presumably straight male audience's fetishes:
latest

ok so the designer clearly likes
-catgirls
-knee high boots
-revealing outfits that make no sense

Oh.. she has a witch hat, she must be a witch, now if only the other aspects of the outfit reflected that.

It's a poor approach to character design especially since it's such a one sided affair. We've gotten some fantastic character designs when it comes to designers putting in effort beyond "Well my fetish x so this character needs that" and they all fit the bill as a result in the same way Link does.

Ostracised queen turned assassin:
sergey-kolesov-emily-badass-pose.jpg

Parkour expert in a futuristic dystopian city:
mirrors_edge_catalyst.0.0.jpg

Former pilot turned superhero:
tracer-ptr-buff-overwatch.jpg

Struggling Survivor in a zombie apocalypse:
19139.jpg

Inquisitor who hunts jedi and works for the empire:
star-wars-jedi-wallpaper-16x9-3.jpg

An assassin in Ancient Egypt:
latest

Quiet's outfit tells me nothing about the character because that's not it's intent first and foremost. Which just tells me that it's bad character design for a poorly written character. 👏
I'm quoting this post because it is really good and should be further preserved.

May 13, 2019
What the..

Game seemed pretty cool. Wouldn't have expected any characters like that. :/
va11halla.fandom.com

Dorothy Haze

Rebecca Dorothy Willow Graem (otherwise known as Dorothy Haze) is a Lilim sex worker, a close friend of Julianne Stingray, and a regular patron at VA-11 Hall-A. She is a DFC-72 class Lilim. Dorothy has short, red hair, red eyes and extremely pale (almost white) skin. Her fingers are robotic in...

The article's random trivia is pretty damning too.

Rebecca's work aliases Dorothy Haze and Dolores Haze are references to Lolita, in which a middle aged man has a sexual relationship with a 12-year-old girl named Dolores Haze.
DFC (Dorothy's model) is a reference to a 4chan term which stands for "Delicious Flat Chest".

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
va11halla.fandom.com

Dorothy Haze

Rebecca Dorothy Willow Graem (otherwise known as Dorothy Haze) is a Lilim sex worker, a close friend of Julianne Stingray, and a regular patron at VA-11 Hall-A. She is a DFC-72 class Lilim. Dorothy has short, red hair, red eyes and extremely pale (almost white) skin. Her fingers are robotic in...

"DFC is a reference to a 4chan term which stands for "Delicious Flat Chest"

gmXENmu.gif

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It really shows, most of them have really revealing outfits. Totally unneccesary. Especially coming from a Nintendo owned studio.
It's too bad because the game before, one of the main characters with Elma is actually a really solid design. It feels like they saw the appeal that fire emblem started really getting with waifu type characters, and then rolled with it in xb2.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
va11halla.fandom.com

Dorothy Haze

Well this is just about the worst thing I've read on Era in a month.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
va11halla.fandom.com

Dorothy Haze

Yikes. I remember seeing people praise this game all the time on some threads.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
va11halla.fandom.com

Dorothy Haze

Lord. This was on my wishlist but I think I might take it off. Optimistically there's some developer reasoning for this, but I can't think of a lot that would justify that beyond the sort of tone that I don't think the game is going for.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It really shows, most of them have really revealing outfits. Totally unneccesary. Especially coming from a Nintendo owned studio.

FWIW Someone being a hentai artist probably isn't that meaningful of a distinction as it's apparently very common for manga artists to do it. I'm not actually sure which of the guest artists have done hentai but the vast majority of them were established artists either in mainstream video games or anime.

For instance Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon had designs by Masamune Shirow(of Ghost in the Shell fame) who has done plenty of hentai.

Oct 27, 2017
She is definetly one of the worst.
I don't know what happened but Japan keeps getting worse at character design these days. Everything is strings and weird uncovered spots.

I wish we would get something sensible.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
It's too bad because the game before, one of the main characters with Elma is actually a really solid design. It feels like they saw the appeal that fire emblem started really getting with waifu type characters, and then rolled with it in xb2.
I agree. Especially XB2 has a age rating of 12 in Germany. If you see those designs I am not sure if kids should see that. I am not sure why they started this whole stuff with Fire Emblem.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
FWIW Someone being a hentai artist probably isn't that meaningful of a distinction as it's apparently very common for manga artists to do it. I'm not actually sure which of the guest artists have done hentai but the vast majority of them were established artists either in mainstream video games or anime.

For instance Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon had designs by Masamune Shirow(of Ghost in the Shell fame) who has done plenty of hentai.
Amazing that Shirow is still in business. I still remember the first manga I saw from GitS.
But why are two Nintendo studios use artists which have those backgrounds? Or are they just go for variety ?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
She is definetly one of the worst.
I don't know what happened but Japan keeps getting worse at character design these days. Everything is strings and weird uncovered spots.

I wish we would get something sensible.
Whereas western designs are getting better. Kassandra, Aloy, Ellie...I guess both tlou and 2, etc.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing that Shirow is still in business. I still remember the first manga I saw from GitS.
But why are two Nintendo studios use artists which have those backgrounds? Or are they just go for variety ?

As I said it's apparently not all that uncommon for manga artists.

Off the top of my head Langrisser/Growlanser also had art by an Hentai artist(Satoshi Urushihara) and the modern day Shining games do as well(Tony Taka).

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically the shower scene for example can narratively be viewed as an expression of her condition and the epitome of what she had to endure during his life, it even may be a touching moment of freedom. Its not because the frame and camera underline that other males characters view her as an object or reduced to her body that the player has do the same. I think its design and some moments ingame seem cringey or offensive only when we separate these things from the overall themes. I can't see her as objectified or reduce her to a sexy body because she is a confident and strong woman with some deep flows. She basically tries the whole game to appropriate to herself this exposed body and goes beyond her condition by embracing it. It's overly sexualized if we merely posta screen of her on a forum, and that's this gesture that objectify her (like the game detects the camera in the helicopter scene to trigger the script)
I am glad this thread happened so we could get this hilarious post.

May 13, 2019
I think that's up to the directors/producers of every project. Like Masatsugu Saito, the main character designer of XC2, was brought to the project simply because the producers really loved his work in Expelled from Paradise.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved MGSV, but Quiet was embarassing. Though at the time, my girlfriend loved her? No idea how that works.

I wouldn't say she's the worst character design though, there are too many Japanese games that are far worse. DOAX3 for example.
DOAX3 isn't bad character design, it's the game design that is awful (or are some of the girls underage?).

A bikini makes sense for what the game is about, volleyball, pool sports etc.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Yeah the west is doing a much better job. Hopefully Resident Evil triggers a movement that changes the way japanese artists design characters.

Jill, Carlos, Claire, Leon. They did a really good job with them.
I love Carlos for Hispanic representation. Usually it's thicc women like Loba in Apex Legends which I do love but seeing a heroic and loyal character like Carlos is awesome.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
My biggest wtf character design this gen was Cindy. Quiet and XB2 cast are worse but ffs Square

latest

And every interaction with her is just filled with male gaze camera angle BS so they knew exactly who they were targeting.

This is actually one of the worst ones for the characters role (mechanic) cus of what motor oil does to exposed skin. IE: rashes, dermatitis, irritation, etc...

Not even a sliver of thought to her job or role in the game. Just straight up "make her sexy" and little else.

Exist 2 Inspire