• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I'm a diehard Playstation gamer (primary systems have been PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4) and I switched over to Xbox because of GamePass (and also their commitment to backwards compatibility). I did the buy 3 years of gold and then upgrade to 1 dollar trick and I'm paid off until late 2023. To take advantage of this I got a Series X for me and a Series S for my kids to play on and both systems can use my GamePass subscription.

So far it's been amazing. It was awesome buying two pieces of hardware (and some extra controllers) and then instantly having a huge collections of games to pick from. My kids have been playing Goat Simulator, Minecraft, Overcooked 2, Grounded, New Super Lucky Tail, Golf with Friends, etc. through our GameFly Subscription. I on the other hand have played through Gears 4, Halo 5 and Quantum Break all through Game Pass.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
It depends. If you skipped all last gen of Xbox titles then yes its worth it but if you beat all of Microsofts exclusives already then I don't think its quite worth it JUST for a Series X right now. Wait for some of their big titles like Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5 etc. The only thing you're really getting with the Series X right now is a huge quality of life upgrade.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Gamepass is pretty simple. Look at the games, look at the price and then make your decision. If you don't care about new games it's an amazing deal, the best in gaming.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
It's by far and away the best gaming value there is. I've been a die hard playstation fan since the first one came out, and I'm still super excited about my ps5 , but my xsx has gotten wayyy more play and I don't expect that to change going forward.

Hummel003

Mar 23, 2020
Its really good but getting an xbox for only gamepass... i dont know. You always buy other games too that arent on gamepass. But its really worth the money yes

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
It depends on your gaming purchasing habits and genre preference. Are you interested in MS's new games? I suggest you looking at their list and decide yourself.

Ogopogo

Sep 4, 2019
Game Pass + Microsoft Rewards = Unequaled value in the video game space. You're paying a fee in order to get access to 100s of video games and then you're earning MS Rewards points on achievements you earn from those games. I've had MS Rewards for less than two months and have already earned $20 in rewards that I put towards my pre-purchase of Cyberpunk 2077. Like most things in life, you get out of it what you put into it. Those that say "It's not worth it" literally have no idea what they're missing out on. It's not JUST the hundreds of games. In a few days I'll be earning another $10 for doing almost nothing and putting that towards something else.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
At $1 for 3 years? Sure. At regular price? Not really for me. I'd rather just purchase what I like at discounted prices like I've been doing. I pretty much know what games I like at this point.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's a really good cost/benefit if you like playing videogames.

If you don't like playing games then nah it's nothing special. Like if you're into needlework or crocheting, then gamepass doesn't do it for you. But if playing videogames is your thing then it's a really good benefit for the price.

Personally I don't think I'd "buy a console* just for gamepass. But as an xbox owner who also has xbox live it's a fucking no brainier. I've already gotten 3 or 4 years worth of value from it on games I would have paid money for that were included, and uncounted value in games I probably wouldn't have bought but enjoyed playing because they're included.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I won't stay subscribed forever, but it's been great to discover stuff I wouldn't have bought otherwise. It really is great value, you can use the money you'd spend on a $60 game and play lots of new releases instead, provided they're on gamepass.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Not right now. Not enough nor good enough MS Studios output for a monthly sub. But in a few years? Going to be amazing.
We're in the minority but I kinda feel the same. The GP hype got me to sign up here recently and I browsed the games and wasn't terribly amazed.
Other than day one MS games, I think PSNow + PS Plus is just as good if not better. *runs*

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
It is easily the best value and best service the gaming has ever had.

It is that damn good.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought 3 years in preparation for getting a XSX. I still don't have an XSX but have gotten more than my money's worth on PC and Android. Absolutely great deal.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
It is, but that's from someone who hasn't paid RRP for it since it came out. If they stop offering the deals and I have to start paying $15.95AUD/month, well that's a different question.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
It is, but that's from someone who hasn't paid RRP for it since it came out. If they stop offering the deals and I have to start paying $15.95AUD/month, well that's a different question.

once the avalanche of MS first party begins, it's going to be hard to avoid game pass to be honest

even at 4 year cadence, they're expected to have at minimum 6 titles a year starting around 2022 so just on MS first party alone, it's likely going to well worth it

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I played games I would have otherwise never touched like that Disneyland game so yeah, it's nice. Plus, for games I really like, I just get the actual copy whenever it goes on sale.

Regular rates are a bit too high for me tbh so sale game pass subscriptions make it a bit more bareable

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I played games I would have otherwise never touched like that Disneyland game so yeah, it's nice. Plus, for games I really like, I just get the actual copy whenever it goes on sale.

Regular rates are a bit too high for me tbh so sale game pass subscriptions make it a bit more bareable
Yeah, im not sure if would pay the regular rates for it, but Gamepass deals can be easy to find throughout the year i just stack up whenever there is a good deal. Im good to go until summer 2023.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It has Pathologic 2 and Katana Zero on it so it's worth the cost of admission at the very, very least. Great value.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I was a xbox guy for OG and 360 gen, jumped ship on ps4. Simply having all my old games there, and knowing all the 1st parties will be there day 1 without shelling 70€ makes it worthy. Then, add older AAA which you may have wanted to try at reduced price and cool looking indies and...yeah, worth it.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Yes, definitely. I can't honestly think of not having it or something similar - and paying full retail or discount on single games feels like a rip off... Sort of what happened with Steam in the PC space... Impossible to go back.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Gamepass is so fucking good, lot of games I wouldn't have tried without it
Yep. Since getting GP, I've had all of the experiences you can. Gave games a shot to realize I'd have been disappointed if I bought them as they didn't hook me like I thought they would (Night in the Woods) or that one playthrough was enough and moved on (Katana Zero). In the case of something like Yakuza 0, I found a new series I want more of and bought because of playing it on GP. It's seriously a great deal.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Depends on the type of games you like. I'm a big rpg person (turn-based) and would easily say gamepass is not as good as ps now for me.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's better than any other gaming service at this point. I've bought 4 games in 2 years. RDR2 and AC Odyssey in 2018, AC Valhalla just now and DOA6 during black friday sale. And Xbox One X and now Xbox Series X is my main console. There is so much to play that it's honestly overwhelming, it's not quite like Netflix yet but with EA Play added as well there is something great to play in all genres.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on how much time you have to play the games, and how often you play new games vs sticking to a few games where it would have been better if you just bought them instead of subbing to a service to access them, never owning them.

You'll still be spending money on games because not all games will be on it, especially at launch. Then will you spend more time playing your owned game, letting that sub time slip into the next month paying $10 or more for that gamepass sub to play more Game X for 3 hours that month while you spent most of December playing Cyberpunk 2077 and COD?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
PS5 is my primary console but I use my brother's Xbox here and there.

Gamepass is the real deal. It is extremely difficult to overstate how awesome a service it is. They've got a great selection of AAA games there but to me the real value has been all of the indie games I've tried on a whim and ended up loving thanks to the service. Sony's lucky their first party output is so strong otherwise I'd easily be switching to Series X

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Yep I think it is the real deal. If you like the games in the library, It's a no brainer. If not, then I could see how you wouldn't like it or find value in it.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I'm finding a lot of value in it as someone with their first ever Xbox because it has Halo/Gears on BC.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
If you can get friends on Game Pass, it's even better! You guys can try out different games together as they come land on the service.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Let's put it this way. If you complete 3 games on it, then you have paid for it. In the last year, I've completed over 20 games on it and dabbled in about 30 more.

So, yes it's that good and yes it's the best thing in gaming today.

Jan 11, 2020
Short answer is abso-fucking-lutely..
For the past year ive not bought a single game, it feeds my cravings perfectly.
Aand ive been playing more than in a decade thanks to all the great sleeper hits I never would have tried without it :).

Gamepass alone makes a series worth a buy imo.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
It is a good service, but in my opinion is quite overrated. I think it is great if the games on the service really match your tastes and you like to discover some games, or as a complimentary service to an average gamer.
It also depends on price, when on our is great value, no doubt, at full price, it is okay but not outstanding.
If their cloud service improves i will probably sub for a month every now and then if there's an
exclusive game I'm interested to play,

PcPlasticFuzz

Nov 4, 2017
The best value in gaming right now. Unbelievable. Played games I would never have tried without it that were fantastic (Hotshots racing im looking at you).

Being able to also use gamepass to play on my phone is fantastic. I love it.