• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing. I think it's pretty much become Xbox's identity now.

The only real surprise is that it hasn't yet created a fall guys/rocket league success story, although I'm sure we'll see one at some point this generation.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Here in Denmark with the convert Gold to GPU deal you get three years of gaming for less than two full priced launch games. People say Xbox had a weak launch, but three YEARS of gaming, instead of buying two games at launch really puts things into perspective. That'll be hundrends and hundreds of games you have access to, including every single Microsoft first party game on day one.

It's amazing value normally, but with the deals it enters bonkers territory, where we play for "free" almost half the generation. No offer comes even close to that in the console industry.

Please enlighten me! :O

I'm Swedish but I assume it can be done here as well.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

www.resetera.com

PSA: You can convert XBL gold into Game Pass Ultimate (up to 3 yrs) even without the $1 deal

So I feel like I'd have to make this thread since over the last weeks I saw so many topics and posts that made me realize that people don't know about this. I know many know that MS offers the possibility to let you convert your XBL Gold sub into a Game Pass Ultimate sub for only $1 (or € or...

I made a thread on it because I really didn't think people were unaware of this.

Jun 20, 2018
I didn't think Game Pass was for me. I don't buy games on day 1 or even close. Most games I buy are less than the monthly cost of game pass. Still, got a Series X and did the upgrading Gold method to get a year for £35.

The saving money side isn't the best but about it, it's the fact you will try games you'd never have touches otherwise, no matter how cheap they were.

I do wonder how long the upgrading trick will work, as a lot of people are surely on very discounted game pass subs and MS's first party games will certainly make a lot less now not everyone needs to buy them.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
My impression when I looked at the list of games a couple of months ago was that there were a lot of good games but I already owned a healthy portion of them, and most of the ones that would have sold me on the service. I wish I'd started paying attention to Game Pass earlier. I ignored it because I assumed I'd be skipping Xbox again this gen and so I just bought Outer Wilds, Pathologic 2, etc a la carte. Under normal circumstances I think it looks great, especially if you wait awhile to play games anyway so you can get them on discount.

Oct 27, 2017
What about Dishonored 2, Doom Eternal, The Witcher 3, NieR Automata, Alien Isolation, Batman Arkham Knight, Shadow of War, Battlefield V, Destiny 2 and all of its expansions, FFXV and all of its expansions, Resident Evil 7, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, Titanfall 2, Dragon Age Inquisition...?

Red Dead Redemption 2, Metro Exodus, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Devil May Cry 5 have all been on Game Pass, too. The majority of AAA third party games are added to Game Pass eventually.

Dishonored 2 and DOOM Eternal are first-party now. Destiny 2 is F2P (though the GP version has all the expansions, true). FFXV Royal Edition, Resident Evil 7, Shadow of War, Arkham Knight, Metro Exodus, Tomb Raider have been/are available on other subscription services (PS+, PSNow). Jedi Fallen Order, Titanfall 2, DAI are available on EA Play (which is bundled with GPU, true, but also available on PC and PS4).

If you're invested in other services, most of the games that you mentioned won't be a differentiating factor that makes the scales tip in favor of Game Pass.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

Cdkeys has a year of Xbox Live for DKK353. In comparison a new game like Demon's Souls is DKK599 in Denmark. Buy three years of Gold, convert for DKK10 (available for new subscribers like OP) and you'll have three years of gaming for less than two full priced games.

That's almost half the generation you're gonna be playing for the price of those two games. It's ridiculous and no console has ever offered new customers value like this.

EDIT: Always check if the deal is still available, since it could run out at any time. I can't see if it's still running, since I already used it.

Last edited:

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't buy nearly everything day 1 it's fantastic value.

For me it's not so good outside of day 1 releases and xbox exclusives. But i payed only around 100 bucks for ultimate until 2022. So i can't complain.

In the future i'll only sub if i see a game i would normally buy.

ejo

Oct 27, 2017
Hawaii
game pass ultimate is amazing. i love being able to play on both PC and Xbox. for me at least, i'm able to try out indie games that i wouldn't have given the time of day otherwise. didn't think i'd enjoy the touryst as much as i did for example.

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Dishonored 2 and DOOM Eternal are first-party now. Destiny 2 is F2P (though the GP version has all the expansions, true). FFXV Royal Edition, Resident Evil 7, Shadow of War, Arkham Knight, Metro Exodus, Tomb Raider have been/are available on other subscription services (PS+, PSNow). Jedi Fallen Order, Titanfall 2, DAI are available on EA Play (which is bundled with GPU, true, but also available on PC and PS4).

If you're invested in other services, most of the games that you mentioned won't be a differentiating factor that makes the scales tip in favor of Game Pass.
Game Pass is the only subscription that has them all, that's my point. PS+, PS Now, EA Play, Origin and all the other subscriptions you would need to have the same games would cost much much more money than Game Pass.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

But they are 3rd party aaa titles...Which is the point. Every game on gamepass is obtainable or accessible in other ways or on other platforms. It doesn't detract from what it offers in one service.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Easily the best thing in gaming right now. When you start seeing bangers from XGS including Bethesda, I think they will be in a very unique market position for gaming.

I've spent so much time in games from the service. It just makes sense to play there and purchase add ons where I want to invest more time in the games.

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass is pretty great right now. But when MS get their development pipeline straightened up and you have a few years of AAA waiting, it's going to be exceptional.

Macnair

Oct 27, 2017
Game pass for PC is great and I hardly play my PS4 now. Dragon Quest in Dec will be sweet!

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I really like about Game Pass is that it gets around the need to double dip. There are lot of games I already own on PS4 that I would want to play on my shiny new Series X because of the 4K and better performance, but it'd get pretty expensive to buy them all a second time.

Thanks to Game Pass I don't need to because a lot of those games, like RE7 and Destiny 2 for example, are included. The only Xbox One games I've actually bought so far are The Evil Within 2 and Control (both were deeply discounted in the sale anyway), with the other thirteen or fourteen last gen games installed on my Series X coming from Game Pass.

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass is the only subscription that has them all, that's my point. PS+, PS Now, EA Play, Origin and all the other subscriptions you would need to have the same games would cost much much more money than Game Pass.

OK, yes. But having them all doesn't mean 1. you'll want to play them all and 2. are not available in other services that you can sub to, with a different selection of games. You'd be paying more if you subbed separately, yes, but you wouldn't be subbing just for those games. (EA Play and Origin are the same, though).

My point is that, while appealing games, they are also available in other places, which makes it hard to me to accept that Game Pass is a superior offer to others for having them. Unless you want to play specifically those games, in which case yes, it's a great deal.

What would move the needle, IMO, is having third-party exclusives on the service. Games not made by Microsoft (or Sony in the case of PS+) that can only be played by subbing to the service. Then again, that'd be real bad for consumers in the long run...

But they are 3rd party aaa titles...Which is the point. Every game on gamepass is obtainable or accessible in other ways or on other platforms. It doesn't detract from what it offers in one service.

Yes, again: they are third-party AAA games. And it's great that you can play them on Game Pass, since they are good games. But, to me, since they are also available on other services they are not a decisive factor to say that GPU is better than other subscription services. They are so commonplace, really, that they are part of the basic offering of a service like this one in my eyes.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
For me it is like Netflix.

Is everything I want to play on there? Not even close. Yet, it is still somewhat worth the price of admission.

I did the Gold conversion trick. At that price it is worth it for me. At full price? Not really. There is a lot of good games there, but many don't interest me.

If I didn't already have a backlog it would be worth more to me.

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
OK, yes. But having them all doesn't mean 1. you'll want to play them all and 2. are not available in other services that you can sub to, with a different selection of games. You'd be paying more if you subbed separately, yes, but you wouldn't be subbing just for those games. (EA Play and Origin are the same, though).

My point is that, while appealing games, they are also available in other places, which makes it hard to me to accept that Game Pass is a superior offer to others for having them. Unless you want to play specifically those games, in which case yes, it's a great deal.

What would move the needle, IMO, is having third-party exclusives on the service. Games not made by Microsoft (or Sony in the case of PS+) that can only be played by subbing to the service. Then again, that'd be real bad for consumers in the long run...
Microsoft has already said that all games on Game Pass will always be able to be bought individually.

And no, EA Play and Origin Access (now called EA Play Pro) are not the same.

Deleted member 16753

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, its value is massively overstated. It's kind of crazy, really.
I used it for a month to play Tell Me Why and I couldn't find any other game I was interested in. It's all either MS first party, which are doing nothing for me, or it's indie games, which are also doing nothing for me. If you're looking for AAA 3rd party games, look elsewhere.

I really don't get this extreme hype, it almost seems forced to me. I don't know.

I'm currently playing Jedi Fallen Order, Resident Evil VII, and Final Fantasy XV.

I must be very mistaken about the definition of third party AAA games...

If you've already purchased and played those games then that's on you, and not a flaw of game pass. I don't buy games anymore, and that is the best way to get the absolutely insane value out of game pass.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
GPU has saved me money - games I would have bought, or passed on to save cash, have appeared on the service.

GPU has helped me discover new games - games I would never have even thought to buy and try.

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft has already said that all games on Game Pass will always be able to be bought individually.

And no, EA Play and Origin Access (now called EA Play Pro) are not the same.

... OK? How does that have any bearings on what we're discussing? What I'm saying is that while the service has "AAA third-party games", I can find those games elsewhere, either buying them or subbing to another services that has a different offer of games on top of those. That adds little value to Game Pass for me. Again, it's simply not how I play games.

Origin Access no longer exists, so I don't see why you need to bring it up. It's all EA Play now.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, again: they are third-party AAA games. And it's great that you can play them on Game Pass, since they are good games. But, to me, since they are also available on other services they are not a decisive factor to say that GPU is better than other subscription services. They are so commonplace, really, that they are part of the basic offering of a service like this one in my eyes.

Most people interested in this would rather have as many games in one spot as possible. The collection of games available is what adds value...regardless if you can get it somewhere else.

Pointing out that you may like more games on another service is pretty irrelevant...since subjectivity is built into these discussions.

Oct 27, 2017
Most people interested in this would rather have as many games in one spot as possible. The collection of games available is what adds value...regardless if you can get it somewhere else.

Pointing out that you may like more games on another service is pretty irrelevant...since subjectivity is built into these discussions.

I've been saying since my first post that to me having all these games available is of no consequence regarding the value of the service. It's you and Adrifi who have been hammering how wrong I am 🤷‍♂️

It's fine, though. You're not going to convince me to extend my Game Pass sub (which is set until Jan. 2022 or something like that) because it's such a great deal, and I'm not going to convince you why I personally don't find it valuable anymore for me. Let's agree to disagree.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
A Plague's Tale has become one of my favorite games in the last years. If it wasn't for Gamepass, I would never have tried it. That says a lot to me.

I love that I can try a bunch of games and see what stick, instead of being anxious about what I'm buying.

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
It's clearly a good deal (and is the only thing that might make me consider getting an Xbox in the future) but how sustainable do you think it is? Do devs make enough money from it?

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
It's clearly a good deal (and is the only thing that might make me consider getting an Xbox in the future) but how sustainable do you think it is? Do devs make enough money from it?

While I'm sure I'm falling for a meme here.

When some indie developers are getting their full production budget covered by being available day 1 on Game Pass with no restrictions placed on where else they can sell their game. I'm sure they're more than happy with that arrangement.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I'm currently playing Jedi Fallen Order, Resident Evil VII, and Final Fantasy XV.

I must be very mistaken about the definition of third party AAA games...

If you've already purchased and played those games then that's on you, and not a flaw of game pass. I don't buy games anymore, and that is the best way to get the absolutely insane value out of game pass.
I can play two of those on a service that costs half of gp. But i wouldn't call it that service THAT good either . Value is very subjective

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I've been saying since my first post that to me having all these games available is of no consequence regarding the value of the service. It's you and Adrifi who have been hammering how wrong I am 🤷‍♂️

It's fine, though. You're not going to convince me to extend my Game Pass sub (which is set until Jan. 2022 or something like that) because it's such a great deal, and I'm not going to convince you why I personally don't find it valuable anymore for me. Let's agree to disagree.

Not trying to convince you of anything. Your argument is basically gamepass doesn't have value because it doesn't have exclusives.

I'm saying...factually...the value of a service like this is the overall collection regardless of being able to get it elsewhere. Even if you yourself don't really care... that fact doesn't change.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

That sounds horrible for everyone involved especially the consumer. Microsoft pay more, developers need to throw all their eggs in one basket, consumers have less choice elsewhere, and ultimately there's less content on Game Pass because the deals become more expensive per game.

When Streets Of Rage 4 came to Game Pass it had just as much value as an exclusive to me, more actually as I could play it day 1 without spending anything additional. Deliberately restricting where else the game could launch wouldn't have been of any benefit to anyone.

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
... OK? How does that have any bearings on what we're discussing? What I'm saying is that while the service has "AAA third-party games", I can find those games elsewhere, either buying them or subbing to another services that has a different offer of games on top of those. That adds little value to Game Pass for me. Again, it's simply not how I play games.

Origin Access no longer exists, so I don't see why you need to bring it up. It's all EA Play now.
Regarding your first point:

1) You get a 20% discount if you buy those games via Game Pass, which is why many people buy third party games that are on Game Pass.

2) Again, you would need multiple subscriptions to have those games which makes Game Pass cheaper and even then, many third party games are only on Game Pass - A Plague Tale Innocence, for instance - and not on any other subscription.

3) I was only informing you that what you suggested - third party games that can only be played via Game Pass - will not happen because Microsoft has said it won't happen.

In regards to your second point, I only brought up EA Play because you said EA Play and Origin Access are the same but they are not, because the latter is now EA Play Pro, meaning that to play some games that are there and on Game Pass but not on EA Play, you would have to pay even more money.

You might prefer to pay for multiple subscriptions, okay, whatever, but for the vast majority of the people that's not how they play games and they see value on Game Pass even for third party games, too. Also, the majority of AAA third party games get added to Game Pass eventually, I can't think of many that have not been on Game Pass at some point. It's much better in terms of third party offerings that PS Now or EA Play.

I respect your opinion, though, and I get your thinking.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know anybody with an Xbox who doesn't sub to Game Pass. It's that good.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have one of the consoles yet, but I just got a new phone yesterday, and my PC gamepass ult allows me to stream console games through it at really low latency. Gamepass is pretty sick. The cloud saves allow you to swap your platform without losing progress.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Its ok not everything going be for you, and MS first party games are not really my thing and they still rare to coming out and not all first party games are on there im looking at you Double Fine!

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Yes, its better.

Game Pass Ulitmate is my default recommendation to any core gamer casual.

For the price the library you get it amazing and the fact it also allows you to have a shared library to play with friends is just great.

Its completely changed the way I play and discover games for the better and saved me so much money.

If anything I now enjoy my hobby more and play more.

Nov 1, 2017
Nah, its value is massively overstated. It's kind of crazy, really.
I used it for a month to play Tell Me Why and I couldn't find any other game I was interested in. It's all either MS first party, which are doing nothing for me, or it's indie games, which are also doing nothing for me. If you're looking for AAA 3rd party games, look elsewhere.

I really don't get this extreme hype, it almost seems forced to me. I don't know.

You can always spot the people who haven't actually used it and just want to downplay how good GP for (I'm assuming) console warring reasons a mile off from posts like these. "All either first party or indie games" and "If you're looking for AAA 3rd party games look elsewhere" cool OK does that mean we're supposed to ignore:

<deep breath>
Doom and Doom Eternal, Dishonoured 1 and 2, 4 Fallout games, 3 Yakuza games, 7 Resident Evil games, Monster Hunter World, Devil May Cry 5, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, more Fifa and Madden games than i even know to count, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Tales of Vesperia, Dragon Quest 11 (in a week or so from now), these are literally games from memory, if I really wanna drive the point home and embarrass you some more I could sit here and research all the games I've missed but i think you get the picture.
<exhale>

This is to say GP isn't for everyone, if you're someone who only plays Fortnight, or likes to buy games full price when they launch (but refuses to play any Microsoft games) then sure GP isn't for you but let's try to avoid the kind of complete nonsense than this Sachsenpaule person is trying to peddle.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I have been a PlayStation fan my whole life. That and Nintendo. Naturally I have a ps5 and switch. TBH, don't really like the switch as online is trash...was thinking about jumping in on a series x....my question is game pass alone worth it. I wouldn't have too many friends on it. What do you guys think?!
It probably is but:
- if you're in to third party content, go buy it
- if you're in to massive 1st party productions, don't buy it

Unfortunately I'm the latter so Game Pass just isn't a deal for me.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
For the price the library you get it amazing and the fact it also allows you to have a shared library to play with friends is just great.

This is a big part that I actually overlooked for a while but is a great bonus. My brother picked up a Series S following the Behesda deal and due to the value that comes with Game Pass. He hasn't bought a single game yet but we've got 100s of games we can play online together. New Destiny expansions? Halo campaigns? Gears? Forza? We both own them all so know if the other is online we will own the game and can jump on and join them.

It's a huge benefit.

Nov 1, 2017

No one is saying those games are only on Game Pass, that other poster was trying to claim that there are no AAA 3rd party titles on GP which a bunch of people including myself have already deservedly debunked. Not sure why you're trying to prove here.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Depends how you consume games. I have it and haven't used it in months. At the price I paid it's still worth it though.

The Netflix comparisons is pretty good. I have that but I also buy 4k discs, digital movies a lot. I watch what I want regardless of whether it's on Netflix or not. Other folks will scroll until they find something they like, I don't do that.