• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LiquidSword

Oct 25, 2017
Lol this thread is hilarious. Dark comedy has bacially existed since we first started writing. There was probably dark humor in the tribal stories we told before writing. So no, the SJW boogeyman you guys have created in your head is not taking the dark comedy away. Some of the posts in this thread are so edgy and embarrassing lmao

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Comedians are free to tell jokes like they always were. If they are good people will laugh, if they aren't then they wont. The distinction between a poor, off-colour joke and a genuine opinion is still an easy one to make.

What we will see less of is random Hollywood people making terrible rape jokes on their public social media accounts. Leave the edgy jokes to the comedians and stick to making movies about talking raccoons.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
There are two ways to handle the the unjust actions of a cruel world. You can laugh, or you can cry about it. As long as someone chooses laughter, there will always be dark comedy.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dark jokes/comedy deserve to continue. But the way they are delivered to others needs to change and move away from social media sites.

What I'm trying to say is that a social media account is supposed to be a representation of it's poster. A poster says something messed up, that post may have thousands, if not millions, of others who see it despite not being interested in it or the person who wrote it. Which is unlike a movie/show or a standup special where the only people who'll pay it any attention are those who have an interest in hearing such jokes (and the crowd being more than aware that they are jokes).

It's like this. I tell a lot of fucked up jokes from time-to-time. Jokes that I wouldn't want most to hear (including the majority of my family), but I say it to some of my friends who know I'm just trying to get arise out of them. I'm making jokes that I know my audience will appreciate, and others would look at me with disgust. I think most everyone has dealt with something similar albeit in a lesser degree.

But social media doesn't allow you to pick and choose who sees what unless you put restrictions in place. People can see it and read it within seconds without any context or any barrier to entry. Not to mention how hard it is to convey sarcasm when in written form.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
They're not, but what if they were? What it would it mean to you? Would it really be such a loss to your life that someone couldn't shock someone by using the word rape?

Comedy changes.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
There's a way to do it where you empathize with marginlized classes instead of laughing at their expense.

See: Blazing Saddles
Inglorious Basterds
The Producers
Django Unchained

Or ways to criticize ruling classes & power structures (rich white straight people) using dark comedy.

See: Heathers
Royal Tenenbaums
Ghost World
American Psycho
Election
Idiocracy
Addams Family + Values
Dr. Strangelove
Early Simpsons
Much of Monty Python's work, especially life of Brian

Or use dark comedy without laughing at anyone's expense, other than horrible people

See: Fargo
Evil Dead series
Gremlins
Turbokid

Comedians and writers just have to be more talented and creative. Which I know is really hard for some of them. Poor guys can't even laugh at overweight women or kids who get raped anymore. The oppression...

deli

Oct 25, 2017
Lol this thread is hilarious. Dark comedy has bacially existed since we first started writing. There was probably dark humor in the tribal stories we told before writing. So no, the SJW boogeyman you guys have created in your head is not taking the dark comedy away. Some of the posts in this thread are so edgy and embarrassing lmao

Threads about comedy on this forum are always the best for this reason.

Oct 28, 2017
And i'd like all forms to stick around..?

You could just ignore the ones you don't like. Instead of wishing it would die
I didn't wish anything to die. I said I wouldn't mind if it died off. Why do you want them all to stick around for? I'm not actively trying to remove some form of comedy. I just won't mind if it goes away. But why do you WANT heinous forms of comedy to stick around?

JudgeN

Oct 25, 2017
Not fully but most of it probably. Just have to look into the past, I still to this day watch chappelle show regularly knowing good and damn well it wouldn't work in today's world.

I laugh my ass off and just chill thinking about how must better life was 15 years ago.

Last edited:

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Dark Comedy isn't bad for your career as long as it's actually good. Shock humor for the sake of it is lazy and rightfully criticized.

I assume that you don't mean racist, sexist, or homophobic "jokes" when you say "Dark Humor".

Also, it really bothers me on a deep and personal level that you apparently refuse to spellcheck anything you post, OP.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a big fan of dark comedy myself, however I would consider dark comedy to be a critique of ongoing injustices in the world, not race or sex jokes. As long as we live in a flawed society, we're going to have comedy to cope with and make light of that.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
There's a way to do it where you empathize with marginlized classes instead of laughing at their expense.

Inglorious Basterds
The Producers
Django Unchained

Or ways to criticize ruling classes & power structures (rich white straight people) using dark comedy.

Royal Tenenbaums
Ghost World
American Psycho
Election
Idiocracy
Addams Family + Values
Dr. Strangelove
Early Simpsons

Or use dark comedy without laughing at anyone's expense, other than horrible people

Evil Dead series
Gremlins
Turbokid

Comedians and writers just have to be more talented and creative. Which I know is really hard for some of them. Poor guys can't even laugh at overweight women or kids who get raped anymore. The oppression...

This, basically? I think we can come down on a lot of specific humor while there's still so much space for "shocking" and dark humor.

Kurona

Apr 12, 2018
Don't worry, your dark humour is fine as long as you aren't critiquing Great & Glorious Supreme Leader Trump.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
No. Dark comedy will always be around. Comedy that takes advantage of the issues faced by minority groups to provoke a cheap laugh, though? That's probably on its way out of the mainstream.

Remember: people used to think Jeff Dunham was funny, now it's fairly well-accepted that his "humor" is culturally insensitive at best and openly racist most of the time.
I was just listening to Gabriel Iglesias' stand up the other day and wow the impersonations he does are pretty racist. He mimics a stereotyped voice of black women, black men, Hawaiian men, white women, white guys, and an extremely racist rendition of an Asian woman speaking broken English.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I didn't wish anything to die. I said I wouldn't mind if it died off. Why do you want them all to stick around for? I'm not actively trying to remove some form of comedy. I just won't mind if it goes away. But why do you WANT heinous forms of comedy to stick around?

Because it can be really funny. Because it has been really funny? Some of my favourite stand up bits have made fun of horrible acts. If there's a possibility that I can laugh as hard as I did with Daves "how old is 15 really?" bit then i'm always going to be a fan of not crapping on rookie comics working on their craft of "punching down" comedy.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think people who have a history of child rape jokes will have trouble transitioning to a career at Disney

That's about it

Oct 28, 2017
Because it can be really funny. Because it has been really funny? Some of my favourite stand up bits have made fun of horrible acts. If there's a possibility that I can laugh as hard as I did with Daves "how old is 15 really?" bit then i'm always going to be a fan of not crapping on rookie comics working on their craft of "punching down" comedy.
It takes an unempathetic mind for it to be funny.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to go away but the people who make them probably won't be in highly visible positions in entertainment for highly curated brands

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Comedy changes. Watch Eddie Murphy's classic stand up then watch his interview where he comments on the subject matter and how things have changed and how that stuff that was okay for comedic effect then he wouldnt feel comfortable saying today at all.

See times change. Values change. This is why I don't get Disney being so pissy over a tweet that happened like years before James Gunn even worked for Disney.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
giphy.gif

Is this you?

Deleted member 3853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Inglorious Basterds
The Producers
Django Unchained

Royal Tenenbaums
Ghost World
American Psycho
Election
Idiocracy
Addams Family + Values
Dr. Strangelove
Early Simpsons

Evil Dead series
Gremlins
Turbokid

I'm familiar with most of these and I've probably laughed more in 1 Jeselnik or Chappelle show than everything I've seen from that list combined.

I prefer when comedians will just use whatever is the funniest shit that comes to their mind even if they'll catch some hate for it.

Oct 25, 2017
I think that comedians will now have a better understanding of what is actually funny and what goes too far. Dark but clever humor is great, vulgarity for the sake of provocation is not. Hopefully more comedians will be able to make that distinction and provide us with funny but not offputting material.
What about vulgar, provocative humour that is also clever? Because that seems to be partly what's at issue here.

Many here are treating this as a tension that can be dealt with cleanly with defined boundaries, but I don't see that at all.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what's meant by dark comedy here. Are people going to go around making jokes about being a pedo or raping kids after this? Probably not, but I think it's unreasonable to suggest that any comedy that's dark is going to disappear now that two people got seriously called out on Twitter

People who make these sort of jokes will continue to have difficulty in being hired by family-friendly corporations, but comedy about more taboo subjects has been around for a long time and will continue to be. They may be framed differently, with clear intent being shown that "Hey this is a bad thing, don't do this", but I highly highly doubt that comedians are going to stop making "mean" jokes

And I still don't even know what is meant my dark humor here. If you mean racist, homophobic, or transphobic jokes, yeah I absolutely think you're going to see fewer of those, but beyond that I doubt it. That being said, people will draw their own lines, and as a culture progresses the line has generally gotten brought further and further, and if we can all agree that something a comic did wasn't cool then yeah fuck em and fuck their brand of humor. I just don't think we're at a point where we sort of banish any form of dark humor
hmm why do you need comedy to be dark and disturbing and Satanic?

i think its wrong, comedy should be for everyone, it should not be offensive at all. its just not funny if you try to offend or shock.. its unethical and WRONG, and should be called out.

in my honest opinion there just isnt any reason in 2018 (!!!) to openly support problematic and extreme "offense comics" like George Carlin, Bill Burr or Jerry Seinfeld.

I think this is a bit, but I honestly can't tell. I think there's a clear divide between Seinfeld and Burr and depicting a child doll being raped, but what do I know?

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I think people need to remember that "dark comedy" isn't making fun of something or even belittling the issues, it's a way to engage with "off limit" topics and try to get people thinking about what it is they're actually hearing.

You know a scene that uses this to great effect? The crucifixion scene in Life of Brian. Here you have a load of people up on crosses about to die singing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life". It's literally taking a brutal execution and making it light hearted. Even if you don't like the film, it serves the point perfectly - here's a dark subject matter being used in a comedy.