Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
So with all the stuff that's been habening lately I feel like dark comedy is going to go away. Now gunns jokes were pretty shitty jokes but they were just that jokes, and that shit has got out of hand. Now I have a dark sense of humor so I don't want to see it go away.

It's always sunny is easily my favorite comedy series and man that shit is dark. There's a whole episode about the implications of a women being stranded on a boat with Dennis and it's ducking hilarious. Now I don't codone that shit at all buts it's funny to laugh at messed up people.

With all the stuff going around tho I'm pretty scared that comedians are going to be to scared to do anything even remotely offensive becuase they'll lose there whole career in and instance. Honesly that's something I really don't want. Comedy is sapose to push boundaries and laughter is how a lot of people cope with stuff so if we take that away then what are we left with.

Anyway I want to know what all of you think. Are we about to head into a future where sunny and South Park are no more, or am I just over reacting?

Oct 27, 2017
It is the natural lifecycle of comedy. As values change certain things stop being funny. *See: jokes around gay people, transgender people and AIDS

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You're overreacting to people overreacting from a series of manufactured overreactions.

It'll never go away fully.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
No, but dark comedy by people who want to claim the moral high ground in a political debate probably is.

leenbzoold

Apr 5, 2018
What's cool and what's not cool changes over time, yes.
I dont think we need to worry about somehow running out of things that are cool.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
DUJ-D-rWAAAmPPw.jpg

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I think that comedians will now have a better understanding of what is actually funny and what goes too far. Dark but clever humor is great, vulgarity for the sake of provocation is not. Hopefully more comedians will be able to make that distinction and provide us with funny but not offputting material.

rhydon321

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it'll go away entirely. I think we're going to see a lot more people drawing a line regarding what is and isn't considered "acceptable" to make jokes about, kind of like how fucked up jokes about 9/11 were considered in poor taste for 5 or so years after it happened.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Nah. It's just the alt right trying to weaponize a manufactured outrage. Of course Disney would cave to it, they're pretty much ran by right wing people anyways. But I don't think many others will, because no one's actually upset that comedians are doing dark comedy.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Will dark comedy go away?

........no?

That's like asking if movies with violence will go away because of school shootings or something.

What's considered acceptable or "crossing the line" in the mainstream will change over time but that's nothing new.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Better Call Saul is dark comedy and a good one at that, next season should come in a couple of weeks or so.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
nope it won't go away. People may get up in arms on twitter or something but just stay away from social media and enjoy it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No. Dark comedy will always be around. Comedy that takes advantage of the issues faced by minority groups to provoke a cheap laugh, though? That's probably on its way out of the mainstream.

Remember: people used to think Jeff Dunham was funny, now it's fairly well-accepted that his "humor" is culturally insensitive at best and openly racist most of the time.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Not as long me and my friends are still alive.

More seriously, for US centric mainstream, yeah, maybe. But that's it.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Comedy changes. Watch Eddie Murphy's classic stand up then watch his interview where he comments on the subject matter and how things have changed and how that stuff that was okay for comedic effect then he wouldnt feel comfortable saying today at all.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dark comedy will be in higher demand, or, to be more specific, those who know the inner workings of how to successfully perform dark comedy will be in higher demand.

Those performing (or badly attempting to perform) shocking dark comedy, like we've seen surface this week; who are or were fucking around with obviously very little real understanding of what they wanted to do or say beyond "Haha, this is offensive so it must be funny", that brand of humour is likely to lie low for a while.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all.

Corporations are cracking down to cover their asses, but that's just the butterfly effect created by Trump.

OP
OP
Thewonandonly

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I think that comedians will now have a better understanding of what is actually funny and what goes too far. Dark but clever humor is great, vulgarity for the sake of provocation is not. Hopefully more comedians will be able to make that distinction and provide us with funny but not offputting material.
This is a great quote!!! Like the boat episode of sunny is all about rape but seeing the reactions of the other member makes it one of the best! If done right a certain topic even if it's horrendous like that can still be funny.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If people wear their dark humor as a badge of honor, it won't hurt them.

It's the people who have claimed to be progressive beacons, who have joke skeletons in their closet, who have a big target on their back.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No because the vast majority of people don't actually care about most of the jokes being told. People who live in their twitter bubbles think they're way more powerful than they actually are. There's a reason none of these recent fake outrage campaigns that went after actual comedians worked. Most people still understand context and how comedy works especially ones who are employed by places like comedy central.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
You can't put a limit on topics for jokes because they might offend someone. You don't know what everyone in your audience has been through so you never know who might be offended. You can look at individual jokes and criticize them or not laugh. If the joke doesn't work, the comedian will change it until it does work or eventually drop it. This includes when jokes aren't socially acceptable anymore.

But putting a limit on the type of jokes isn't going to work. You have to let comedians fail and fail often. It's the only way a great joke or bit is created. Yes any topic can be made funny. Humor helps us deal with the world around us and that includes the darkest and most taboo of topics. Comedians that deal with dark humor know this and will keep working their material.

So, no, I don't know see dark, offensive humor going away.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
No, I do enjoy an occasional dark joke from comedians like Jerrod Carmichael and Daniel Tosh. Though I feel like they've gotten a hell of lot tamer in comparison to their old stuff

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
If people wear their dark humor as a badge of honor, it won't hurt them.

It's the people who have claimed to be progressive beacons, who have joke skeletons in their closet, who have a big target on their back.
Comedians are fine. They have no masters. Gunn was intimately connected with The Mouse, which has been historically known as a family friendly company. And Marvel films target kids as well. Disney was in a very hard spot.

OP
OP
Thewonandonly

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
No, I do enjoy an occasional dark joke from comedians like Jarod Carmichael and Daniel Tosh. Though I feel like they've gotten a hell of lot tamer in comparison to their old stuff
Ya Daniel tosh is the only stand up I've watched but that shit me dying. What he said was fucking terrible but man it got me to laugh haha

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
It's definitely more difficult now, and it won't get better. The internet don't forget, and (some) people don't forgive. A comedian could do an edgy joke now and probably be ok for a while, but after a few years people could feel offended because certain things have become more offensive than before.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it's not and I'm glad. Good comics will continue making great jokes about horrible topics and "edgy" goobers will continue making shocking just to be shocking jokes.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's such a fallacy that 'dark comedy' has to come at the expense of good standing. Still plenty of heinous shit in the world to make fun of people!

Branu

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
Gunn's comments weren't jokes or anything meeting a proper definition of "dark comedy." "Dark Comedy" is Brojack Horseman. Californication (no, his tryst with a young girl is not the same thing at all), etc. Gunn's "jokes" were windows into a very disturbed individual who needs help.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dark/black comedy will continue to exist but it seems more likely to exist in indie scenes than full blown Hollywood pictures.