• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do You Still Regularly Play Your Wii U?

• Yes

Votes: 111 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 503 81.9%

• Total voters

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I probably would leave it hooked up if it weren't for the tablet. I really hate this shit. Great console other than that.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I think I'll go mod it for some retro gaming for my Xmas break project. I bought 4 Wii-U's for some insane reason due to Cowboom.

Oct 30, 2017
Can the Wii U still be easily modified to play Gamecube games?

My memory doesn't really serve me. Could it read gamecube discs in particular?

hutna

Oct 25, 2017
I still play xenoblade x every week on it; over 100 hours stuck on a whole different planet.

RiggyRob

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I need to go back and finish Wind Waker & Twilight Princess HD, wondering whether I should go all the way and homebrew it for emulation now 🤔

Comparing the Wii U tablet to the Switch, it really does just feel like a clunky prototype that's awkward to find space for!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I actually only just boxed it back up this week, I wouldn't say it had regular use over this year but as the machine hosting my wii and virtual console libraries as well as Wii U it was still dipped into at points.

Unfortunately my Gamepad slowly but surely lost the ability to keep a stable connection with the console leading to missed inputs and lag like symptoms so it was effectively on its way out anyway.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
No, because I basically beat every major game I have for it. I have a few games I might finish or replay, though.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
nope. would enjoying playing some vc stuff but the battery is bad on my pro controller and i really hate the pad. i have ergo problems with it. suffered through fatal frame out of love but probably will never touch that pad again

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still play it occasionally (I replayed Pikmin 3 a couple weeks ago) but I didn't even frequently play it when it was current due to the low quantity of exclusive games.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I use mine for retro games. The GBA and Wii VC libraries are great in this device. Also has a great selection of TG16 games. Gets monthly use for sure, which is more than my other old systems.

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Backlog aside, now I'm trying to get the major number of costumes in Mario Maker before the online goes tits up, so it's at least half an hour at day (if the gamepad battery lasts).

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
It's my official wii machine for the most part, but there are still a few games I never played for it and have to grab like Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong. I'd rather pay $10 for the Wii U versions than $60 for the Switch ports just for the deluxe features, and 'play on the go' isn't much of a consideration anymore.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I still have a backlog on it that I return to occasionally. This year I played through Paper Mario: Color Splash and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, which I never got around to before.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not regularly, but I occasionally boot it for Xenoblade X. Wishing so badly they'll bring that over to the Switch one day with a bunch of QOL improvements like the original :(

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Not regularly, but it's still in my entertainment center. With all but a couple major games upgraded to Switch (most notably XCX), I use it more often for the Wii BC than I do for Wii U games.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I am actually thinking of hooking back up my Wii U, though it'll just be for the family to play some Wii games like Wii Sports Resort. (I really miss that Frisbee golf!)

But I might just hook up the regular Wii instead, because I don't feel like having everyone deal with the GamePad.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sold mine around the time the Switch came out for just under $200. Amazing decision in hindsight considering how much stuff got ported over. Though I am bummed that I'll never play Nintendo Land again. Hands down one of my favorite local multiplayer experiences out there.

I never played it "regularly" to begin with, Only when it had a good exclusive I cared about, which wasn't very often.
Also this

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably has ten layers of dust on it. Smash 4 was the last remaining reason I had to keep my Wii U out, but after Ultimate I've not touched it.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
It's the only console from the beginning of that Generation I still have hooked up launch Xbox and PS4 have been retired to my collection shelves.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is my second plattaform. Basically, every time Nintendo pulls a game from the eShop, I go and buy a physical copy in the hopes of making a buck selling the rare version in the future.

Last game I finished was pikmin 3, and I bought a wiimote to play skyward sword next.

However, I only touch it every 3 months or so.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I didn't for a few years but I just moved it from the living room to my room and me and my wife started playing Yoshi and DK tropical freeze. I know they both have Switch ports but I don't have them.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I just started using it again as an emulation machine. Before that, I last used it at the beginning of 2019 to replay Wind Waker HD.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I want to say yes but it's not the case right now. I had been using the WiiU and 3ds combo as my main gaming source for the last few years, but I got a Switch and a PS4 this year so my time shifted to those since I installed them on my room, which no space for more consoles there.

My gaming time is always focused on finishing stuff I bought (not so much of a replayer/score/multiplayer person) and I have a lot of indies and virtual console games gathered on the WiiU, so there's always something left to do with it.

As for disk games, I had Deus Ex, Darksiders 2, Starfox Zero, Sakura Wars 5 and The Last Story left, so I still want to keep playing it. But with the pandemic my parents are at home all day watching TV at the living room. I COULD use the gamepad, but I feel like those games would be more comfortable on the TV (not having to use headphones, HD graphics, Starfox Zero being the way it is, or Wii games simply feeling better on the TV despite having the option to play in "tabletop mode".)

In any case, something that the WiiU is pretty good for even with this situation are 2D platformers, since they are great to play on the couch without having to look too closer to the screen or worry about audio inmersion. I still need to finish the extra campaigns from Shovel Knight and Shantae Half Genie, so I might try playing some more... if Age of Calamity stops being so much fun.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Nope.

It's the only Nintendo console I've ever owned that is bricked. Not sure where to go to get it repaired as Nintendo stopped doing them.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
No, but only because I lent my Wii U to a friend because they have no systems while I have many. She loves Boom Blox and now it seems she and her boyfriend love Tropical Freeze.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Homebrew on it is great so sometimes I play the occasional DS, Gamecube or Wii game on it. Not having to grab my DS to replay the Castlevania DS trilogy and also playing them on a big screen is pretty cool.

Though not every DS is compatible, so something like RIZ-ZOAWD or Solatorobo won't work on it and in those cases I do have to grab my copy of it and the DS to play.