Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly not surprised - the US has tools that can see Iran without having to fly in their airspace...or fly extremely high.

This was intentional on Americas part. Trump trying to get his war

Oct 25, 2017
Not much of a big imo, they've done it for years and if I recall correctly even hacked and landed an advanced model years ago.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Honestly not surprised - the US has tools that can see Iran without having to fly in their airspace...or fly extremely high.

While I get your point, I think it is worth stating that there are some things that you can't see without a low and slow drone with a badass camera.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose I'm fairly indifferent on this.

I'm not against the US sending unmanned reconnaissance drones over Iran's potential nuclear facilities and I'm not really upset that a sovereign state shoots an unmanned drone down within their own airspace.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

1) Shooting down a drone both over ones own air space or international airspace is nowhere near justification for a war.

2) The US would not put one of it's newer drones on a suicide mission that could be intercepted and reverse engineered by it's key foreign adversaries in Iran and Russia.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cross posting this because mods are asleep and there are two Iran threads going right now with the same news.

Considering they have been targeting civilian tankers, there is rather clear escalation if they are openly targeting drones that are potentially in international airspace.

The more I think about what has been going on in the last few weeks and months, the more I'm starting to suspect this is a larger play by Iran that is almost a "cornered animal" response.

Their economy is in shambles since Trump killed the nuclear deal and reimposed sanctions on their oil exports. If Iran starts thinking their country is at risk of collapsing due to pure economic stress, then the more likely and willing they are to lash out using force to call Trump's bluffs or use these minor attacks as warning shots of the consequences that Iran can impose on the world at large if it so wants.

That is, Iran can take down a large part of the global economy if it finds itself in a situation where it can not win and has nothing to lose. Showing that it's willing to take down tankers in the middle of the most importing shipping lane is a very clear and blatant "don't test us" message to the US.

This article has some good topics about what could be going on and why

Deleted member 26398

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Cross posting this because mods are asleep and there are two Iran threads going right now with the same news.

Considering they have been targeting civilian tankers, there is rather clear escalation if they are openly targeting drones that are potentially in international airspace.

The more I think about what has been going on in the last few weeks and months, the more I'm starting to suspect this is a larger play by Iran that is almost a "cornered animal" response.

Their economy is in shambles since Trump killed the nuclear deal and reimposed sanctions on their oil exports. If Iran starts thinking their country is at risk of collapsing due to pure economic stress, then the more likely and willing they are to lash out using force to call Trump's bluffs or use these minor attacks as warning shots of the consequences that Iran can impose on the world at large if it so wants.

That is, Iran can take down a large part of the global economy if it finds itself in a situation where it can not win and has nothing to lose. Showing that it's willing to take down tankers in the middle of the most importing shipping lane is a very clear and blatant "don't test us" message to the US.

This article has some good topics about what could be going on and why
I think that's what happening here. As an Iranian, I much rather die in a war than starve to death. US is making a situation where Iran's best option is war.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
iOYtz1J.gif

Oct 25, 2017
'Murica trying to start shit like always.
Couldn't convince the rest of the world that Iran attacked the tankers, gotta find other ways to escalate.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was the Obama administration, we didn't have a highly suggestible president surrounded by war hawks.
We're years into Trump's presidency and we have a history of him backing down on issues that are unpopular and cared about by both sides. On top of that, Trump in this instance already doesnt want a war.

Stop fearmongering.

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
For those who don't know, if it's the triton that was shot down, that aircraft was going to be deployed for the first time ever later this year. It means it was on a secret mission, and you don't do secret missions over international waters.

Coupled with the fact that Iran announced it first (shows they were confident it was in their airspace)
And the US dragging its feet to confirm what happened (and in particular which drone was shot down) makes me believe Iran this time.
The US has no business over Iran and Iran reserves the right to protect their airspace.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
For those who don't know, if it's the triton that was shot down, that aircraft was going to be deployed for the first time ever later this year. It means it was on a secret mission, and you don't do secret missions over international waters.

Coupled with the fact that Iran announced it first (shows they were confident it was in their airspace)
And the US dragging its feet to confirm what happened (and in particular which drone was shot down) makes me believe Iran this time.
The US has no business over Iran and Iran reserves the right to protect their airspace.
Your post about the tritons operational date is completely inaccurate.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Small reminder that, just three years ago, relations between Iran and the West were the best they've been in years thanks to the Nuclear Deal all parties were happy with and now, thanks to the US getting out of the deal unprovoked and completely destroying Iran's economy, this is where we are.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Correct me then, because am pretty sure the Triton's were going to Guam later this year for their first Operational Deployment.

It was supposed to be deployed last summer to Guam, but the Triton's are on indefinite flight hold due to a crash. Since they use the same body as a global hawk, I have a feeling the US official just got confused on the nomenclature since the Triton's aren't currently flying.

Also the Triton was designed for maritime ops; it wouldn't be the drone of choice over land if it was supposedly shot over Iran. .

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
Small reminder that, just three years ago, relations between Iran and the West were the best they've been in years thanks to the Nuclear Deal all parties were happy with and now, thanks to the US getting out of the deal unprovoked and completely destroying Iran's economy, this is where we are.

This need to be repeated over and over and over again. Trump is to blame.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
We're years into Trump's presidency and we have a history of him backing down on issues that are unpopular and cared about by both sides. On top of that, Trump in this instance already doesnt want a war.

Stop fearmongering.

What has he ever backed off of? Te only thing he's pushing against is a war because even his insane base doesn't want that. He still tried to kill the ACA even when it dragged his approvals to the mid-thirties. He kept family separations up for months on end. His tariffs are still in place.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
So this is the second drone in a week iran/iran supported groups shot down.

If war comes it will all be down to the US violating JCPOA.

Vic2003

Dec 8, 2017
This ain't no small civilian drone were talking about. It's a full sized aircraft - Global Hawk drone valued around $150M

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
It was supposed to be deployed last summer to Guam, but the Triton's are on indefinite flight hold due to a crash. Since they use the same body as a global hawk, I have a feeling the US official just got confused on the nomenclature since the Triton's aren't currently flying.

Also the Triton was designed for maritime ops; it wouldn't be the drone of choice over land if it was supposedly shot over Iran. .

You are right that it was supposed to go to Guam last year, but it was supposed to be towards the end of the year, the crash in September led to them putting a hold on that. My mistake on that part.

On your point of it being designed for maritime ops, well, wasn't it downed near the coast? And I doubt there is any restriction on it flying over land if needed. But like you said, it could be a case of mistaking identity,they both look similar. Whichever one it is, I find it doubtful that it was having a stroll in international waters near Iran. More likely that some people in command thought Iran was incapable of shooting down a drone.

Dynamic3

Oct 31, 2017
Notable detail from The War Zone:

We are now getting multiple reports that officials within the Pentagon are confirming that this was an MQ-4C. This means the aircraft secretly deployed to the region. They are also adamant that the loss occurred in international airspace.

It's important to discuss the MQ-4C's capabilities here in context to the situation. It is not just a standoff radar, imagery, and electronic intelligence gathering platform optimized for the maritime environment. It uses its MTS electro-optical turret to check targets out in detail by dropping down to lower altitudes and approaching them. In other words, it is meant to fly at lower altitudes as well as higher ones, unlike the Global Hawk. It also has a lower operating altitude than the RQ-4 in general. It has anti-icing systems for penetrating bad weather because of these factors. So there is a chance it may have been operating at medium altitude, or even lower momentarily, depending on its mission profile and what its operators were seeing. This puts it into a larger number of SAM systems engagement envelopes.

MQ-4C isn't just a 'blue water' surveillance tool. It can watch areas of interest in the littorals and keep track of an enemy's actions in a high fidelity manner. It is an amazing system. The closer you get to say a port of interest the better the quality of certain types of intel it can gather. So just staying far away means you are not maximizing the aircraft's unique capabilities as a multi-intelligence gathering platform. Fusing radar, electronic, and image intel together—all of which the aircraft can provide—over long periods of time is really why its capabilities are so awesome. To get the best out of all three, closer proximity to a target area may be required. So there are tradeoffs when it comes to risk versus reward.

Also, if this was indeed an MQ-4C on its first deployment, a secret one, remember it would have been totally new to the Iranians too. They could have been seeing a Global Hawk doing stuff a Global Hawk doesn't do. This would draw interest and likely targeting priority.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Yes exactly.

Irans nuke program was contained until the US realized it wanted to drop the agreement because it hates muslims.

Trump hates Muslims and Iran so he unilaterally killed the agreement.

lol @ trump not attending. not sure whether that increases or decreases the likelihood of a military response.

Is Bolton in the room is real question, who cares what puppet President thinks?

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trump hates Muslims and Iran so he unilaterally killed the agreement.

Is Bolton in the room is real question, who cares what puppet President thinks?

*puts on tinfoil hat*. I feel like trump is trying to get Iran to "strike first" with something big then use it to start war before the election. If the mass public believes trump is Just acting on defense of a nation he will gain extra votes. If the mass believes he started the war - he loses votes.

It's basically GWB all over again. If a equivalent scenario like 9-11 and afghan happens, he gains much. If it's a iraq scenario, he loses much.

Idk. I just dislike trump and refuse to believe he doesn't have some BS schemes planned for 2020.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018

lol @ trump not attending. not sure whether that increases or decreases the likelihood of a military response.

There won't be a military response, and Iran knows it. Everyone knows the only play against Iran is their complete destruction, and the US isn't going to do that over an old drone or oil tankers.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
There's a chance this may come back to haunt me, but I feel like most people are ignoring the fact that Trump hates war, since it's unpredictable, and loves deals, because they make him look good.

He'll try to find a way to humble Iran and then claim a yuge win no matter the actual circumstances. Because that's what Trump does.

I mean, let's look at the brain dead situation with North Korea. Iran would have to go further in order to warrant a hail storm of cruise missiles.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
You're not going to get folks on board for a war based on a drone being shot down where both sides disagree what airspace it was in.

Also.....it was probably in Iranian airspace.