HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yes why not release a 180 dollar controller instead of a 30 dollar attachment for something everyone already has?
This. Plus DS4s usually go for $40 something in the US (similar here in Peru) so the full setup would cost you about $70-80. I might get one just to try and see how it goes as they might be doing this to futureproof controllers. Better get used to use paddles now.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Me thinks that screen is going to make the battery life on this even worse than it already is.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The screen seems so unnecessary. You can't even see it most of the time. Could have just put the settings in the PS4 menus and brought down the cost to $10-$20 or something.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is... actually a very smart idea! Not sure there's any point in having the screen, but the addon itself is great. As someone who loves the paddles on my Elite Controller, and the Back Buttons on the Steam Controller, it's about time PS4 got its own.

Hopefully they are built into the DS5.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I adore back buttons since I started getting used to it on the Elite, but 2 buttons only? A useless screen on the back (that you'll use like the first time then never again) that really just drains the battery? Also, what is up with that design? I'm happy Sony is embracing the back buttons but this is rather meh. I'd love if it became a standard feature come next-gen but it's practically certain this won't be the case.

Deleted member 10234

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That screen sure is a weird choice, but paddles are always nice. I can only assume they're making this to make PS4 controllers compatible with the PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
If this is to precede the DS5 and it comes with the back paddles they damn sure better be removable, I ripped those things out of my Xbox Elite 10 minutes after opening it.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Strange thing to just drop out of nowhere.

I can see it's uses. I'll have to see how it behaves in the wild and what the full extent of functionality is, but I'm interested.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
The screen probably effect the battery all that much. It wont be on all the time, only when programming it or are people just trying to be funny and failing when mentioning draining the battery?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'd way rather have a $30 USD thing that works with the controllers I already own than spending $180 USD on a new controller that's incredibly hard to find.
Yeah, I agree. For $90 I can have all 3 of my current controllers get upgrades.

Nice.

I didn't even know 3rd party accessories like this was a thing until this thread.

But I'm really intrigued.

Deleted member 10428

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A compact version for R3/L3 world suffice for me. This half pillbox seems too big for what it actually adds if you can remap the buttons anyway.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
i guess there's some potential as a move towards better Accessibility options for people that might have issues with the ds as is, but it's a bit odd.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Oh god... this thing... I need it as replacement of those fu**ing L3 and R3... why the OLED screen on the BACK tho? jeez, only to justify the 30$ price tag I guess... but then, I need this thing :/

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
I like the idea but damn that OLED screen is so unnecessary, what the hell were they thinking?
Isn't the battery life already abysmal on this controller?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's ugly as sin, but I want it. The OLED screen will probably only be on when you press it (since it's a button). Wouldn't make sense for it to be always on since 99% of the time it's facing away from you.

The Xbox Elite controller has software where you can map the buttons. I guess this doesn't and you'll have to map 'em on the attachment itself. That's probably why it has/needs a screen.

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was shocked by this announcement. Actually a pretty neat idea and shocked at how cheap it is. I personally use a Nacon Revolution and love it, so I don't think I'll be getting one unless it 100% works on ps5.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Really cool, but not something I'll see myself buying right now. Gladly buy them for DualShock 5 tho

Jun 23, 2019
Holy shit! Now I can finally get paddles for Call of Duty? For those that have an Elite style controller for PS4, do paddles make a difference in FPS for you?

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
It's super tiny and monochrome (plus I doubt it's on unless you touch it). I bet it barely takes 5 minutes off of the battery life overall.
A low res monochrome OLED display like that is going to take an absolutely insignificant amount of battery for the brief time it is on while configuring and switching it. OLED makes sense because then you don't have to back light the tiny screen. I think a lot of people see OLED and think this is a cut out chunk of a LG 4K OLED display or something. It would be stupid to have anything but an OLED display on this thing if including a screen was your goal.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OLED screen..
I dont like that their doing this so late in the game here..
But I'll take it DAY 1 on a Dualshock 5 though.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit! Now I can finally get paddles for Call of Duty? For those that have an Elite style controller for PS4, do paddles make a difference in FPS for you?
They make a massive difference when you get use to them. You can always keep your thumbs on the sticks and do so comfortably (looking at those freaks who use claw).