• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

crimsonlink

Oct 29, 2017
YOOO I love that name! DualSense, sounds really powerful. I don't like the color so an all black option would be appreciated. But as long as it works and doesn't break easily is all that I care for in the end. If I can handle the N64 controller, I can handle this one too.

killer7

Banned
Nov 22, 2018

49747503557_566da5ebc8_3k.jpg

49747502797_ba4ef26976_3k.jpg

49746632758_470c1cca29_3k.jpg

My question is: the console will be white and black?

casnix

Apr 19, 2018
New Hampshire
At first I kinda hated the look of it. Now I'm kinda digging it. I also hated the DS4 at first. And if this thing has what looks like a VITA D-PAD OMG WTF YES!

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the futuristic look - hoping battery life is way better and the L2/R2 triggers are way snappier.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
All I see is a leotard when looking at renders.

But who cares what it looks like. As long as it's comfy and durable, it can look like a sex toy for all I care.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of the two-tone design, but the mockup where the whole thing is black looks fine.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Should either be all white with blue accents or all black with blue accents. Looks pretty ugly as is.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Internal mic is cool, headset support is fine.

I really just want to be able to use my Bluetooth headphones though. Please Sony. Fucking please.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
This shit looks crazy. i- Robot crazy. I kind of like it. Nevermind what it looks like though, I'm excited to get my hands on it. The features sound like a worthwhile upgrade.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
That's awful.

Looks way too chunky.

If anything this puts me off the ps5. At least the analogue sticks are in the right place for people that have both thumbs the same length

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I think the action/face buttons may light up when the controller is on? If they do, there goes your iconic Playstation colors people, you'll have them.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Analog location is a preference, nothing more. Some people love it. Some don't.
It is most definitely a preference, and I prefer the sticks to be placed where our thumbs rest naturally. Sony puts them both where thumbs need to stretch to reach, which was fine when analog sticks weren't the main input method, but now that they are I would love to see them update the design for the sake of ergonomics.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
My first thought was that it was a fan mockup until I saw it on the official Twitter and thought "Wait... this is real?!?"

Also, it looks like it uses the same sticks as the DS4, which is excellent. That means I can quickly replace them with Xbox sticks.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How much do you think it will cost, 80$US, 100$CAN?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Trigger tension? That could actually add a lot to immersion but I'm not sure if the level of tension I am thinking about would be possible in a wireless controller. If it's just slightly more tension then that's a shame.

Yeah, we don't know the 'dynamic range', so to speak, of the tension. Patent filings suggest something very promising - from very loose, all the way up to a dead stop on trigger travel. But we will have to see - I feel they could do a blog post/video on the triggers alone, to explain these details.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I'm ok with this. A few thoughts:
  • I'm hoping the white/black color scheme suggests we see a white PS5 at launch.
  • I still prefer that controllers include colored face buttons. Especially when base PlayStation and Xbox controllers have always had it. Probably ddoesn't make a big difference for me or anyone on this forum. But for people new to the platform/gaming in general, I could see it being useful.
  • Since they released that rear button thing for the PS4, I assumed there would be some form of button/triggers on the back side of the controller. We don't have a rear shot of the PS5 controller, so I guess it could still be revealed closer to launch. Guess we'll see.
  • The "PS" button seems kind of weird. Not sure why they went that way instead of a normal circular button like the PS4.
Ready to see the console, please.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
You do realize millions of other people (many millions) will just as vehemently disagree with you? I cannot play anything on Xbox pads besides shooters and racers. I hate the stick layout, the oval buttons and think it's one of the worse d-pads. It's very very personal and completely unique to each individual what controller you like. There is hardly any denying that DS4 layout is pretty much standard though.
Oval buttons? I'm talking about the Xbox One controller, not the OG Xbox Duke or S. And yeah, I get it, millions will disagree. Millions will agree as well, since offset analog sticks (where one thumb can rest on the left stick and the other on the face buttons) feels more natural to many than having the thumbs rest on the d-pad and face buttons, where so many games now don't even use the d-pad beyond menu navigation. And even then, I never found using the d-pad for an hour or two on the Xbox One to be uncomfortable, while it never felt right on the DS4 due to how the grips differ for both controllers.
It's adaptive triggers not rumble triggers. They are not the same.
Not the same how? It sounds to me like just another buzzword for rumble motors in the triggers. Microsoft called theirs "impulse triggers". Doesn't make either one special; it's just a distracting gimmick for applying force feedback on a per-trigger basis based on specific in-game actions.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I will almost certainly end up adding a PS5 to my console collection eventually, so I am glad that it at least looks like it might feel better in my hands than the DS4. I can understand some liking the futuristic vibe, but in my opinion visually (maybe due to the two tone color with white?) it comes across a little bit too "try hard" in its design.
I think the words you are looking for is futuristic classy

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. I'll continue to buy Sony consoles and complain about stupid design decisions. Why would I buy I console I dont want? Or are you of the opinion that you have to love everything about the console you buy?
It isn't a stupid design decision. They're symmetrical sticks. All this bullshit talk about asymmetrical sticks making more sense is fucking asinine. Is your left thumb somehow in a different position than the right? No. Stop trying to argue that symmetrical designs don't make sense. You have a preference for a different style which is fine but that doesn't mean their controller is wrongly positioned.

Zoyos

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The FGC need not worry about this, it's the SAME TRADITIONAL D-PAD, albeit now with a glossy finish?

Also,

PLEASE BE EQUAL TO OR HAVE LESS INPUT LAG THAN THE DUALSHOCK 4

DS4 already has a ~4 to 8 ms response time depending on version, distance, interference, and if it's plugged in. That's faster than a 120fps equivalent refresh. It could be slightly more latency over bluetooth due to added features if they keep the hardware the same, but I do expect it to be lower on average even though it absolutely doesn't need to be.