• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
"LMAO your school got shot? And you're asking to not get shot again? Look at this kid!"
*crowd laughs*
Comedy.

Amazing how it got exponentially worse every time he opened his mouth.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Something being a joke doesn't give you 100 percent carte blanche to spew whatever horrible shit you want. I mean yeah maybe if you're an asshole.

Louis CK is an asshole

There's arguments that being a comedian does give you the carte blanche to say whatever you wish in the name of comedy. It's akin to the court jester being the only person allowed to mock the king. This often gets misinterpreted as anything being fair game so long as it's a joke, which misses that the joke teller just be unconsciously decided to be able to tell these jokes (basically by being considered a top tier comedian like C.K. was prior to getting found out for sexual assault). C.K. told plenty of offensive jokes on the past, but it was cool because he was the court jester. Given the response to this bit, is pretty clear he's no longer considered as such.

Oct 27, 2017
Mild apologist? Please tell me how you can apologize for constant sexual harassment
Back when it all broke, it also came out that he apparently hadn't done it in years and had had gone out and apologized to some of them. Not sure if any of that got disputed. But anyways, he put out a big, seemingly heartfelt apology. Figured he'd fade into the mist for a couple years. And, as a personal usually pretty self deprecating comic, he'd have a big thing in his next act about how shitty he was. Wouldn't call him a great guy even he honestly did change but I'd watch that special. Instead we got no self reflection at all.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
There's arguments that being a comedian does give you the carte blanche to say whatever you wish in the name of comedy. It's akin to the court jester being the only person allowed to mock the king. This often gets misinterpreted as anything being fair game so long as it's a joke, which misses that the joke teller just be unconsciously decided to be able to tell these jokes (basically by being considered a top tier comedian like C.K. was prior to getting found out for sexual assault). C.K. told plenty of offensive jokes on the past, but it was cool because he was the court jester. Given the response to this bit, is pretty clear he's no longer considered as such.
I don't recall him telling jokes about kids being shot in school previous to this either.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Uuugggh! Inconceivable! Don't think I have much else to say besides fuck him! That wasn't funny in the slightest!

It pains me that people like Louis C.K. and Kevin Spacey (I thought there couldn't be anything worse than the video he posted) do not own up to their mistakes, shrug things off and hypocritically insults others. Hope they fall into obscurity for the rest of their pathetic lives.

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. As a fan of his earlier stuff that I honestly still find funny today, this set was pretty depressing. He's turned. Or maybe he always was? I dunno but this really finds itself catering to the right with the trans/gender shaming and the parkland survivor shitting.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for posting that. I thought it was pretty funny.
Pretty funny.

The Milo comparison is outrageous.
Come at me. I also thought it was funny. Humor is inherently subjective.
Damn, he's still got it!

Honestly, this is milder than his old stuff. By far. He has this one set from 2005 where he just jumps from awful subject to awful subject and I think it's far more offensive than this.

EDIT: here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv8d_ry-u-Q&t=521s
The set was pretty good, but it was a struggle listening to that leak with that one dude's laugh.
We're against telling jokes now? OK.

See, at least some good came out of this asshole's "comedy."

It exposed the assholes that are hiding in this forum and made them crawl out from underneath their rocks.

Amazing how in 2018 "comedy is subjective!" is still being treated as a defensive to bigotry...

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Never been a Louis CK guy, his shit wasnt that funny to me.
Whats the consensus on Dough Stanhope here? I was a big fan of him because his jokes are always pushing it on or over the edge. But he wasnt (havent seen his new stuff since a long time) always friendly on like anything at all.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

The jester is allowed to mock the king, not align himself with the poor. A jester with no limits is a jester without a head

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
It'd be a joke if he had some sort of insight or new perspective. None of what he's saying is new material at all. So he's not trying to be clever with fresh views on things or a neat turn of phrase. He's just being mean. And he's being mean to people who already have it bad.

If you're mean to the king, you risk getting your head cut off. If you're mean to someone down on her luck, then you're just an asshole.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm not really a fan of taking stand up out of context and judging based off of it... But yeah, I'm not really sure what context there could be to make this remotely tolerable joke craft.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It'd be a joke if he had some sort of insight or new perspective. None of what he's saying is new material at all. So he's not trying to be clever with fresh views on things or a neat turn of phrase. He's just being mean. And he's being mean to people who already have it bad.

If you're mean to the king, you risk getting your head cut off. If you're mean to someone down on her luck, then you're just an asshole.
Well put.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I think the sadest part of all of this is that this shit is not original nor funny. Alt right comedian have used the same exact approach of making fun of "libtards." I guess it makes sense as he lost significant audience. What's left that still supports him is the trash. The logical next step is making content that makes the trash happy. The situation reminds of Evilore on the old forum. Going from progressive and inclusive person, to MAGA alt right almost over night. It's kinda disturbing how easy this seems for them to just do.
When something has been your primary source of income and you're accustom to a certain type of life/profile... having that "taken" from you could easily breed enough resentment in a narcissist's mind to justify such an about-face appeal to those who'll still pay your bills. Not that this is necessarily the true explanation but it's how I've interpreted it.

Deleted member 37303

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 2, 2018
There was some funny stuff if you listened to the whole set. I liked the bit about losing $35 million in a day, fake-friends, some French woman taking her temperature rectally (though that was mostly because I found his terrible French accent funny), calling the police on someone who wanted to fight him, "boyfriend jeans" for 9-year olds. Not all of them were fully-formed, but there's some potential there at least.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017

Don't misconstrue my post as a defense of Louis. As I stated earlier, this bit it's bad, lazy, and mean.

I was just responding to a post saying that a joke doesn't give someone carte blanche to say anything, to which I overall agree with the caveat that comedians are allowed by the public to push limits and that C.K. has clearly lost that privilege.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's so predictable and boring. LCK can stay gone. So many other comedians that are more deserving of your time and attention.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Unreal. It's like he was reading youtube comments for material and just decided to replace the words "attack helicopter" and call it his own.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There is a kernel of comedy in the idea that youth today are more "lame" because they are socially aware and sensitive to offense when they "should" be carefree and crazy. This was effectively satirized in the movie 21 Jump Street.

Transphobia and dismissing mass shooting survivors is an absolutely disgusting way to frame that kind of comedy.

Really garbage set from someone who used to be one of the best.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
It was kind of funny, but also just a little weird.
What part was funny?

Don't misconstrue my post as a defense of Louis. As I stated earlier, this bit it's bad, lazy, and mean.

I was just responding to a post saying that a joke doesn't give someone carte blanche to say anything, to which I overall agree with the caveat that comedians are allowed by the public to push limits and that C.K. has clearly lost that privilege.
Yeah there's a point to be made about that, but it's telling that the limits he's trying to push aren't decades or centuries old limits. It's not like he's trying to dismantle the Hays Code or something. He's pushing the "limits" that progressive people just finished setting up. Those limits haven't been up long enough for us to forget why they're there.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Lol isn't it funny how kids growing up with no social safety net at all take fewer risks and are more politically engaged?

Fuck them, am I right?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I bet not even trans people think about pronouns as much as this kind of people do.

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't CK also do some sketchy material about child molesters for an SNL opener once?

I believe it was also him who claimed that if you're being an asshole, you dont get to decide whether or not you're an asshole, that's up to everyone else. Looks like those words of wisdom have escaped him.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm glad this is gaining a lot of attention. This dickhead should have lost his job the moment he pulled his literal and figurative dick out.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great and so close to the 4th anniversary of Leelah Alcorn's sucide.
There is nothing funny about the struggle of trans people, espically trans youth.

It's some of the most depressive shit you can imagine.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He could have gone somewhere with "Kids aren't assholes as much these days." but instead turned it into "You're boring for caring about things."

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I feel like the jokes he's making here would have been satirized in his show, or otherwise used as a means of criticizing the type of comic making them.

To see that there's no intelligent punchline at play here is sad and pathetic.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He could have gone somewhere with "Kids aren't assholes as much these days." but instead turned it into "You're boring for caring about things."

This is what has always bothered me about conservative comedy. There are so many ways they COULD come at their targets and their (supposed) flaws, but they always go the cheapest, safest route "Look at those stupid kids that care about shit! HAR HAR HAR!."

Its just so spineless.

Swab

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what is more disgusting, Louis CK or the people in the audio clip laughing at his "jokes."

Once again we see hateful rhetoric being masqueraded as "comedy" and it is completely distasteful. Why is this shit allowed?

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Didn't a surprising number of comedians come to his aid after his serial masturbation came to light? I wonder if they're going to be sticking their neck out again for this.

Dec 13, 2018

Well put. I do really feel that you should be able to joke about anything, but these weren't even jokes, it just came off as lazy and hateful

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what is more disgusting, Louis CK or the people in the audio clip laughing at his "jokes."

Once again we see hateful rhetoric being masqueraded as "comedy" and it is completely distasteful. Why is this shit allowed?

What should we do with comedians you find distasteful or guilty of hateful rhetoric?

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't find the material funny and he seems kind of angry compared to his usual work. But I find it pretty ridiculous that people are getting automatically banned for just saying they found it funny. What is the point of this thread then? Just complain how you think Louis is a piece of shit?

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Yeah Louis I dunno if I would do a school shooter bit if you are trying to get back on the people's good side.

Also that was just a horrible bit anyways

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck this loser piece of garbage and his defenders .

The bits don't even work as jokes because the premise was for kids to fuck up and not take themselves seriously. This is a decent set up to a bit but the problem is this is coming from a grown ass man who masterbates in front of grown ass women against their will.

Status
Not open for further replies.