Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I been doing a lot of thinking about the oscars. And I don't think it will be in it's current form in 5 years. I can see it not being on tv at all in 10. The whole org is out of touch, and just just admit it's an industry award.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I watched the video and he seemed to show legit contrition and he apologized. And he said he apologized in the past multiple times for it as well.

I don't care if he hosts or not but what else do people expect him to do?

That's the impression I got too, he said he was an immature comedian looking for cheap laughs and didn't fully understand the impact of what he was saying, now he does which is why he doesn't say such things anymore and seemingly hasn't for a long time. My feeling is he has grown up a lot and means what he says, and is a better person now. I don't think people should be haunted by past mistakes forever if they've truly bettered themselves.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That's the impression I got too, he said he was an immature comedian looking for cheap laughs and didn't fully understand the impact of what he was saying, now he does which is why he doesn't say such things anymore and seemingly hasn't for a long time. My feeling is he has grown up a lot and means what he says, and is a better person now. I don't think people should be haunted by past mistakes forever if they've truly bettered themselves.
He literally blamed everybody else and claimed to be a victim. Does that sound like someone who has "truly bettered themselves"?

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I don't either. Unfortunately for Hart he never actually apologized until he was fired from hosting the Oscars for not apologizing. And he's tried to gaslight everyone into thinking that he actually did apologize before that. And now he's acting like a victim.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He literally blamed everybody else and claimed to be a victim. Does that sound like someone who has "truly bettered themselves"?
I'm almost done trying to get the point across. Just some randos posting opinions without actually researching.
He apologized he apologized! you guys are a bunch of haters!
It's tiring.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK, so what was the point of all of this? He just wanted to redeem himself, get the Oscars to offer offer him to return and then decline it?

Dec 9, 2017
Oscars got maaad Black Panther related jokes that they can't get off without a black host. They skressin right now.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Kevin would take a second and pen an honest and introspective apology for his words and actions.

He's not a bad man. Don't believe he's homophobic. Believe he's too proud and headstrong to admit mistakes he knows in his heart he hasn't fully atoned for though.

Do the right thing, Kevin. Please.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wish Kevin would take a second and pen an honest and introspective apology for his words and actions.

He's not a bad man. Don't believe he's homophobic. Believe he's too proud and headstrong to admit mistakes he knows in his heart he hasn't fully atoned for though.

All he would have had to do is admit that he should have apologized long ago and issued sincere/introspective statements about how strong it is to say homophobic things.

Instead he avoids it, blames others, refuses to address the specifics of what he said, and issues some obviously bullshit PR apology hours after he said he would never apologize.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

That's gonna be a yikes from me. Stop coddling homophobes and think they're not what they show the world multiple times.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif
Truly a prophet of our time

Oct 29, 2017
Don Lemon had a long and good segment about the whole situation.

Powerful stuff.

And all the more disappointing at what Hart chose to do and how he viewed it. He's made it entirely about himself "I don't get why people are mad at ME, I don't know why people keep talking to ME about this instead of moving on", because it's not a comfortable topic for him but rather than face it head on he wants people to forget about it and drop it simply because he wishes to. He'd rather run from the topic and pretend he's "addressed it" (not "apologized", he's never claimed to have apologize and always and only says he's "addressed it") than to actually turn outward and listen and think why people are angry.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad he centred this on Black LGBT folk, and more specifically Black Queer youth. They, the ones most targeted by Hart's comments have been utterly erased by most in this conversation

This is what gets my goat. Black kids out there getting disowned, abused and killed for being gay/trans, but let's forgive the rich dude that will never be affected by the carelessness of his words.

I stg, if someone else comes here and says "b-but he apologized!"

OBVIOUSLY NOT NEARLY ENOUGH, when all people are getting out of this is "man, people are so SEnSiTiVE" and not "We need to treat black LGBTQ+ people better."

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I don't either. Unfortunately for Hart he never actually apologized until he was fired from hosting the Oscars for not apologizing. And he's tried to gaslight everyone into thinking that he actually did apologize before that. And now he's acting like a victim.
Did he not? He brought up multiple specific instances.

If he's lying, that's weird and fucked up. I'm still though, someone who can't get on board with actively punishing someone for something they don't currently do. It just doesnt feel right to me, as fucked up as past actions have been. And with that in mind, there's some amount of me that understands a combative attitude towards it. I know if I worked hard to get a dreamjob, and just after i got it, someone was like "hey dude, you fucked up some years ago", my initial reaction would be like, "huh? what? fuck off" before anything else.

I dunno man. Looking into the claim of him apologizing/not apologizing. To try to take some positive out of it. At least he doesnt currently do that shit. Right?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

These things are sensitive. Timewise I mean. Most won't admit it, but he was buried when he didn't apologize (in a specific way) before his job was threatened. That was the only way he could clear this. You have very limited time, and your apology can't be something you have a PR person write because if it sounds like some "Im sorry you were offended" shit instead of "I apologize for my behaviour" specifically, then it won't be accepted.

Then after that window passes even if you double back and apologize in a raw fashion (like he did do on the show) it still doesn't matter because "you should have done that before you lost out on this and that". No one can be sure if your apology is genuine past a certain point and that's just going to ruin you forever with certain folks.

Oct 27, 2017
So now that they're willing to let him host he doesn't want to?

When he originally got ousted didn't he say something about how he hopes they'd meet again or something?

This is either a power play to say to say now that you want me, fuck you

or he just wants to avoid the whole thing knowing he'll just magnify the backlash if he does host.

The latter is probably the best option to not have this be a bigger blemish on his career

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Did he not? He brought up multiple specific instances.

If he's lying, that's weird and fucked up. I'm still though, someone who can't get on board with actively punishing someone for something they don't currently do. It just doesnt feel right to me, as fucked up as past actions have been. And with that in mind, there's some amount of me that understands a combative attitude towards it. I know if I worked hard to get a dreamjob, and just after i got it, someone was like "hey dude, you fucked up some years ago", my initial reaction would be like, "huh? what? fuck off" before anything else.

I dunno man. Looking into the claim of him apologizing/not apologizing. To try to take some positive out of it. At least he doesnt currently do that shit. Right?
And the bar continues to drop.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
God, I hope this whole situation gets adressed properly in speeches by the winners. Hart is very good in playing the victim here, it's completely disgusting.

newline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
OK, so what was the point of all of this? He just wanted to redeem himself, get the Oscars to offer offer him to return and then decline it?
Yep, it's all just him sending out a signal that this can't take him down. He's got Ellen forgiving him & the oscars crawling back even without proper acknowledgement of his actions. He's telling people this isn't affecting his career.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Ellen on going along with Kevin Hart's obvious power move.

I saw this coming after that interview.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Kevin Hart's ego is too big to ever truly apologize.

In his mind he never did anything wrong in the first place, he told some jokes without malicious intent (in his eyes), jokes that "everyone" else was making at the time. And, now people are coming after him for those past comedy bits, trying to "destroy" him. It can't be that people find that stuff offensive and were hurt even back then and just want a real apology. Now, sure he could apologize now but why should he? He never did anything wrong except tell a few jokes, and he felt sorry about them later so technically he's already apologized. I mean, sure it wasn't some public official apology, but it was a different time and he's not telling those same jokes so isn't that the same as an apology. Plus, what about us black folk? Why we gotta apologize for shit when people still offend us? So, aren't I the real victim? Why aren't people going after Ricky Gervais or those other white comics who hosted in the past? Plus, I'm bigger than the Oscars at this point, I'm the highest paid comic alive, who are they to demand anything from me? Honestly, I would've apologized anyway but I don't negotiate when threatened, that's the American way. If they never threatened me, I would've apologized. Still, I'm the bigger man and stepped down with an apology. I didn't want to distract from the issues and the night. I truly was sorry that people were hurt by what I said, but I'm not sorry for trying to get people to laugh, since when did that become a crime? I'll never apologize for trying to get a laugh, why is everyone taking stuff so seriously these days? It was just a joke. I don't have hate in my heart, I've got gay friends. See, here's my friend Ellen. Hey Ellen...

May 17, 2018
a man makes a mistake (going for a ignorant laugh with an ignorant joke/tweets) 10-11 years ago, learns from that mistake, shows he learns from his mistakes over the next 10-11 years, man's progress is ignored, man is ridiculed, man botches apology, everyone is in glass case of emotion.

I hate you all lol.

if only Kevin didn't have a movie coming out next week so all of this can go away.