• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If no witnesses in the senate, then Pelosi needs to let the House finally take their gloves off and consider all the weapons at their disposal.

Inherent contempts need to start flying, and the first guy I target is Bolton. Start off with punitive fines enforced by the GAO.

They withdrew the Bolton subpoena and there is no way the House reopens impeachment discussions around Ukraine.

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda wish in this answer that Schiff brought up that even if Hypothetical Obama had a legitimate concern to investigate, he would at least be running it through official State channels and not directing those involved to his personal attorney.

Yeah the problem with that is you're saying it's okay for the President to direct the DoJ / FBI to investigate a political opponent. That's not okay either. It's one of the things Nixon was impeached for. So Schiff couldn't concede it was okay for the President to direct the government to target a political rival. It's a sign of how far we've fallen when that is the suggested alternative.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Yeah the problem with that is you're saying it's okay for the President to direct the DoJ / FBI to investigate a political opponent. That's not okay either. It's one of the things Nixon was impeached for. So Schiff couldn't concede it was okay for the President to direct the government to target a political rival. It's a sign of how far we've fallen when that is the suggested alternative.
I don't bring it up to say that Hypothetical Obama doing that would be okay--it wouldn't be--but more to highlight just how absurd and obviously-personal Trump's motives were in what was actually committed here. They can't possibly claim that the aid witholding was a matter of legit policy when all discussions about it were being funneled through a private, personal attorney.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
If no witnesses in the senate, then Pelosi needs to let the House finally take their gloves off and consider all the weapons at their disposal.

Inherent contempts need to start flying, and the first guy I target is Bolton. Start off with punitive fines enforced by the GAO.

They should've done this already. But yes, they still need to. Because at this point, it's clear: subpoenas by Democrats are optional.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
They should've done this already. But yes, they still need to. Because at this point, it's clear: subpoenas by Democrats are optional.

Definitely. I was screaming that the entire impeachment, and going back even further when the Dems were weighing their options back in the summer. Schiff expressly brought up how they can utilize inherent contempt in the modern day, so it's always been a tool at their disposal.

The whole "we're sooooo reluctant to do x and say y" stuff is so 2019; so if the GOP does what the GOP does in this senate trial, then it's time for Democrats to boldly answer.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
To the GOP's credit at least they've sent two questions to the other side.

I really wish the Dems would challenge the defense council. Put them on their toes. It would be more productive than just listening the House Managers read prepared statements.
agreed. This is a waste of time so far.

If that happened, we'd be lucky if Sekulow spent half a sentence actually addressing the question. We'd get 4 minutes and 50 seconds of BS. I don't blame them for not engaging a legal team who is fundamentally not acting in good faith.

Maddness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I think about calling C-SPAN and talking about Cthulu's return and how the signs are there etc.

Maddness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"I was eating a burger at Del Cristo down on St. Bernard Rd when I saw Hunter Biden walk over to the trash can to throw away some trash and he missed the trash can and the PAPER FELL ON THE FLOOR HOW CAN THIS MAN LIVE WITH HIMSELF!!!!!!"