• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I do think some of the hype is oversold. The game is good, but it's kinda standard in a lot of ways. The basic gameplay is totally normal "learn the enemies, dodge their attacks, hit them whenever" kind of deal. Yeah, your attack options can get pretty varied, which is kinda nice, but your defense options really don't: unless you're using the shield, you only ever have the dash, which is just... a dash. Maybe a Deflection boon, but the best place to put that is on the dash, so...

The characters are good. The metaprogression is nice at first, although gets too RNGy in the postgame IMO, when you're trying to build up someone's relationship and they just... don't want to show up in the House. And you're left thinking, should I just be doing suicide runs to grind? Which is, yeah, efficient, but... feels super lame.

Like, the game is good, and if you've missed out on the last decade of roguelites this is a great jumping on point, but if you've been playing Enter the Gungeon and Heroes of Hammerwatch and Rogue Legacy most of it will feel pretty familiar and samey and you'll be left thinking "this is what the internet was saying is the best thing ever?"

I dunno, I'm also pretty sensitive to hype. My expectations get high, and then I get very disappointed when they're unmet. It's... it's not great for me. And there's a lot of people raising the bar on this game.
I think Hades is a great game but not a great Roguelite. Which is ok in my book; I love Roguelikes/lites but I also love great games.

Nov 21, 2017
It is a marvel in handheld mode on Switch. I might double-dip and get it on PC, too. But yeah, its one of the best games of this generation, and the best roguelike in my opinion.

Scarlet0Pimp

Feb 4, 2018
If it comes to xbox or PS I'll definitely buy it looks great. I just hate the switch controller buttons are just too small. I've got the Pro controller too but I'm not into the cheap feel of it and the face buttons stuck out too much reminds me of some crap pc game pad I used to have. Also I don't really want to get it for my pc as I'd rather play it on my TV sat on the couch rather than at my desk.
Any word of other console releases?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Hades is really more of an RPG with a roguelike structure than any of those, and the structure is harmonious with the narrative they're telling. The dialogue and characterization is a draw for me but it's punchy and succinct, the game isn't precious about making sure you see it all, just that it doesn't repeat. Not really a loot game either, the diversity in build variety during each run and the strategies formed after learning what's possible and getting better is a bigger draw. Wave based action RPG combat is pretty central to the experience though, and while I think it's expertly tuned with weapons that are all viable and fun, if that doesn't click it won't be for you.
I think it's the 'wave based action RPG combat' which is especially unappealing. The reason I enjoy combat in Breath of the Wild is entirely because the environment can be used to with burning some grass or throwing boulders down the hill. I have no interest in Hyrule Warriors because it is entirely combat without climbing and using the space in a playful way.

Really Hades seems like a game for people that dislike traditional roguelikes, and enjoy brawler/arena combat common to modern mainstream games.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I hit a pretty big wall with Hades, I have 40~50 runs and have only made it to Hades twice. I just don't seem to be improving, mirror upgrades are so small percentages I barely notice them, and I end up having to rely on RNG of the boons to get me through. Had fun but I don't know how much more I have in me.
God Mode is there for a reason, and there are no consequences at all for using it; all rewards and story beats stay exactly the same.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I think it's the 'wave based action RPG combat' which is especially unappealing. The reason I enjoy combat in Breath of the Wild is entirely because the environment can be used to with burning some grass or throwing boulders down the hill. I have no interest in Hyrule Warriors because it is entirely combat without climbing and using the space in a playful way.

Really Hades seems like a game for people that dislike traditional roguelikes, and enjoy brawler/arena combat common to modern mainstream games.
That's possible to an extent in Hades too - each map has environmental triggers like traps, destructible columns, and timed explosives that you can use to your advantage, and some boons granted by gods are specifically geared to that kind of playstyle such as more damage from wall slams, inflicting poison, combat from a distance, etc.

For what it's worth I have a severe aversion to Warriors games, which I find pretty mindless, and love a traditional roguelike like Spelunky. Hades definitely scratches the roguelike itch, and I've seen the combat described as closer to an isometric Bayonetta given the variety and tight control, and while it's not as emergent and systems heavy as BOTW the strategic elements are there. Not to try and convince you if you know it's not your thing, just want to be sure folks have the right impression!

Last edited:

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The game is a fantastic combat experience, but ultimately I don't think it's for me. After about 10 runs I was starting to feel the repetition of the game's structure. I was wishing for there to be more to vary it up, like branching levels or greater boss diversity outside the three furies. The weapons are the main source of variety, though I'm only really keen on the bow and shield, and few (if any) of the boons significantly change how you have to approach the game. Supergiant put a lot of eggs into the basket of ever-changing dialogue and character interactions, but that stuff is ultimately just window dressing to me. Idk, I wish I liked it more.

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California
What the OP said. I am really enjoying this game and I'm not usually a rogue-like player. Great storyline, colorful graphics, fun gameplay. I highly recommend it for PC.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
It is absolutely phenomenal, loving every second with it, and will likely play it on PS5 again!

Sadly, I am terrible at it lmao. 36 runs in and consistently reaching the final boss, but yet to beat him. Lowest I've gotten him is like 25% health remaining.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
As someone who doesn't really like Roguelikes (didn't get much out of Gungeon and Dead Cells), I'm really not convinced I'll like despite despite all it has going for it.

May 17, 2019
I'm aware there's an OT, but I ask you bear with me... I want to ensure you're aware that Pathologic 2 is Exceptional and you should try it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't really like Roguelikes (didn't get much out of Gungeon and Dead Cells), I'm really not convinced I'll like despite despite all it has going for it.

I did not like Gungeon or Dead Cells at all, and I love Hades. Only other Roguelike I could remotely stand was Binding of Isaac.

Hades has enough permanent progression in both the mechanics and the story/characters (which is the most important part IMO) that it doesn't even feel like a Roguelike.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
My first couple runs I was like "Okay, this is good, but I don't see what all the high praise is about."

The more and more I played I started seeing the depth and all the systems and last night I played for a few hours and the time just flew. I can see myself spending a lot of time with the game.

However, one question: it feels like I missed something at the beginning. Like I was just dropped in the world without much explanation and it felt like there was an opening cutscene or something that I should have seen to explain what was going on.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
My first couple runs I was like "Okay, this is good, but I don't see what all the high praise is about."

The more and more I played I started seeing the depth and all the systems and last night I played for a few hours and the time just flew. I can see myself spending a lot of time with the game.

However, one question: it feels like I missed something at the beginning. Like I was just dropped in the world without much explanation and it felt like there was an opening cutscene or something that I should have seen to explain what was going on.

You'll actually eventually see a couple flashback cutscenes that explain the backstory a bit better.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Big roguelike fan and I have to be somewhat of a naysayer on this one...I love Supergiant's art and storytelling to death, but their gameplay, while very polished, is never what I'm looking for. I own all their games and none of them really hit with me. I tried Hades and I do appreciate it, but it can't replace Nuclear Throne, Enter the Gungeon, Dead Cells, etc. for me. I'll give it another go at some point because the presentation is really beautiful.

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know what this game was, watched the trailer on YouTube and couldn't even finish it. This type of game is absolutely not for me.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't parse any of the screenshots people post of this game that's aren't just menus. The visual design is extremely noisy and distracting

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Its pretty damn good. The amount of dialog and interactions was super impressive for a rogue like. Ive had it for about a year i think but haven't played it since the big update before launch. I might have a look today.

I'm yet to get any further than Elysium :(

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. I couldn't get into any other one of Supergiant's games despite people singing their praises as well. Tried playing Bastion again recently and everything points to "cool fucking game" but I just got bored by it.

Not super into the art style either.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Progress is ok if it doesn't change the balance of the game.
If it makes it easier I am not interested in playing the genre.
Slay the Spire is my perfect spot as an example of good game of that kind.

I'm not sure if I want to try Hades as I didn't like Supergiant's previous game that much.
I mean they're good, but it didn't grab me enough to make me reach the end and think I wanted more. I'm not sure I even finished Transistor which I liked more than Bastion.

I know some people disliked these and loved Hades but that's no guarantee, especially bot knowing what exactly they disliked in previous titles or what grabbed them in Hades.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Progress is ok if it doesn't change the balance of the game.
If it makes it easier I am not interested in playing the genre.
Slay the Spire is my perfect spot as an example of good game of that kind.

I'm not sure if I want to try Hades as I didn't like Supergiant's previous game that much.
I mean they're good, but it didn't grab me enough to make me reach the end and think I wanted more. I'm not sure I even finished Transistor which I liked more than Bastion.

I know some people disliked these and loved Hades but that's no guarantee, especially bot knowing what exactly they disliked in previous titles or what grabbed them in Hades.

Progress does make it easier but up until a point. After that you need to set new difficulty modifiers to make any more progress, up to like 35 of them at once.

Also I've never played or been interested in any of their other games but I love Hades.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fantastic game that is only slightly let down by the lack of variety when it comes to the boss fights. Having a selection rather than Meg - Hydra - Bull ect would of made the game pretty much complete for me.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fantastic game that is only slightly let down by the lack of variety when it comes to the boss fights. Having a selection rather than Meg - Hydra - Bull ect would of made he game pretty much complete for me.

With the extreme measures pact you get to drastically change up each fight, but yeah they could do with some more variety.

Also there are a couple of hidden/optional bosses

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Progress does make it easier but up until a point. After that you need to set new difficulty modifiers to make any more progress, up to like 35 of them at once.

Also I've never played or been interested in any of their other games but I love Hades.
Thanks for the input.
It'll stay on my radar. I'm just always a bit less sure about action game. I like to have the time to think ha ha. On that aspect I liked Transistor.

The feeling of the gameplay for action game is really important and it's hard to totally grasp.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
can't decide whether to grab it now on PC or later when I get a Switch (if there's ever going to be a good deal for it).

Would be an insta buy if it had co-op, though.

It definitely looks super cool and ticks off a lot of my checkboxes.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
How is it on Switch compared to PC? I'm tempted to get it on Switch because of the portability, but I'm also worried about how much strain I would put on the joycons playing it. Enter the Gungeon damaged my right analog stick, and I'm trying to avoid repeating something like that.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
it looks very appealing, but I tried so many roguelikes/lites whatever that were called amazing games that I simply won't fall for it again, it's just not for me and I have come to accept that

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
it looks very appealing, but I tried so many roguelikes/lites whatever that were called amazing games that I simply won't fall for it again, it's just not for me and I have come to accept that
I disliked most rogue likes/lites I´ve played before. Hades is different. It`s more engaging and more motivating because of its` interesting story, its` fantastic characters, the superb writing, the wonderful art design, the excellent music and of course, the outstanding controls and addictive gameplay. Also, dying in Hades rarely feels frustrating because you are always "rewarded" with new lore, new dialogue etc.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
As a lover of roguelikes, Hades is a top 10 best roguelikes ever made for the presentation alone, its reels you in soo quickly, been playing it for days straight.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
I tried playing for about 2 hours...i really didn't care for it. I was pretty bored. But honestly i think i just hate single player games.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
It's pretty good. Didn't think the gameplay was all that great and the Switch version definitely has some performance issues at times, but I had fun with it. I loved the voice acting and writing.

I wonder if there is any endgame though after completing the story (and the credits roll) besides the heat levels and completionist stuff.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked bastion but was terribly bored by transistor. So I'm on the fence. I also just burned out on dead cells which seems kinda similar soooo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked bastion but was terribly bored by transistor. So I'm on the fence. I also just burned out on dead cells which seems kinda similar soooo
This really is nothing like Dead Cells. I did not like Dead Cells at all and I'm obsessed with Hades.

The progression, the story mechanics, the actual gameplay, all of that is wildly different between the two games.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Damn, that second track in the OP: I was ready to close the tab at around 3:30 but then a few seconds later...

Hades looks and sounds great. I'm a sucker for roguelikes and I think this'll make a fine addition to the Switch library.
Got too much to play right now, but I'll get it at some point.

Thanks for the write up, OP!