• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What version would you prefer in a hypothetical Zelda Collection?

• N64

Votes: 156 22.2%
  • 3DS

Votes: 547 77.8%

• Total voters

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
3DS easily. The N64 character models are horrendous. Am disappointed the DS version of Mario 64 isn't the one used for the 3D Mario All Stars collection too.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I feel quite sad looking at that poll result, I guess it shows how many people actually care about Majora's Mask since the 3DS version was a serious downgrade.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
3DS. I just wish they'd fix the fall into roll bug in OoT and revert back to the original Zora controls in MM. Oh and move the bank back in its alley, it doesn't make any sense to have it behind the clock tower. I'm seriously angry about that!

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sure but you're still only taking a brief moment to swap them out, and it very rarely makes you rapidly swap them on and off. The game as a whole kind of has that issue of having to pause every few minutes to swap one of your item buttons out to what you need at the moment.
Sure? I'm not going to die on a hill over this or anything, it's a mild annoyance in an otherwise stellar game that didn't affect my overall opinion on it. If they can fix it, cool, if not, cool. I still prefer the N64 version all day even with this issue being present.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing they changed in MM impacts the core mechanisms of the game, which are brilliant.
I'd call swimming a core mechanic, and the save system, and the bomber notebook, and the boss fights. They are all significantly worse in the 3DS version. The visual "upgrade" was anything but as well (completely ruining the atmosphere), bar a few QoL changes the 3DS version did nothing right.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
3DS for sure, then return Zora swimming and Twinmold to how they worked on N64. Boom, you've got a perfect collection.

Bonus points if a Bunny hood equivalent is added to Ocarina, that's the main reason I prefer Majora.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's far from turning the game into garbage. 'Ruined' is a strong word to describe what they did.
I mean, they factually did ruin the transformations insofar as the original game's world and dungeons and environments were built around how they functioned on the Nintendo 64. Deku Link's momentum gain being nerfed in particular is extremely egregious with regards to how much it's needed for jumping on lily pads.
3DS for sure, then return Zora swimming and Twinmold to how they worked on N64. Boom, you've got a perfect collection.
If they don't fix Deku Link's momentum, it's in no way perfect.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
I'm actually okay with either. I love both versions of OOT and MM.

I didn't realize there was a lot of vocal dislike for MM3D. I've played MM so many times, but I never had any gripes with the 3DS version (granted I've only played this version once and it was five years ago). I'll take Majora's Mask in any format, tbh.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Just Put Zelda: LTTP/Zelda: OoT/Zelda: MM and Zelda: Twilight Princess in one set and I am happy with my Switch purchase.

By the time I beat all of the games, Switch 2 will be out.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm actually okay with either. I love both versions of OOT and MM.

I didn't realize there was a lot of vocal dislike for MM3D. I've played MM so many times, but I never had any gripes with the 3DS version (granted I've only played this version once and it was five years ago). I'll take Majora's Mask in any format, tbh.
You should look into the changes made to the boss fights, the Zora Link swimming, and Deku Link momentum. It's tragic, because those changes are so unnecessary and actively ruin large chunks of the game.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Start with the 3D remakes and then fix them. There's also no reason not to include upscaled versions of the originals too though (except the framerate).

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
I mean, they factually did ruin the transformations insofar as the original game's world and dungeons and environments were built around how they functioned on the Nintendo 64. Deku Link's momentum gain being nerfed in particular is extremely egregious with regards to how much it's needed for jumping on lily pads.

If they don't fix Deku Link's momentum, it's in no way perfect.
I would welcome a return to the original Deku physics, but it honestly didn't hinder my enjoyment much.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The correct answer is the 3DS versions. Since we're in the realm of make believe anyway, the few quirks in MM3D like that one bomberkid running up to you when you teach the two girls to dance can easily be fixed in this proposed package.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played both versions of each in a long time, so it's hard to say. Consistency-wise, if they did one, they'd probably only include one and it'd be that generation's version (so in this case N64). I picture OoT, WW, and TP. They'd probably spin off and release SS separately since it's the most recent and stands to gain the most with a new control scheme and other features.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The originals play at unsteady 20fps. The 3ds versions play at solid 30fps. This does lead to some awkwardness in some animations, but for playability and responsiveness alone the higher framerate of the 3ds makes it the go to.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I never got to play the 3DS versions of any of them but I hold them as the definitive versions. A lot of enhancements without changing the core game. (Unlike the Mario 64 DS remake.) So just port those. I wouldn't want them to just throw the N64 ROMs on a cart. Obviously I'd want big changes. And since they already have nicer polished versions available just bring them over.

They won't though. I hope I get to eat my hat though.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
For the love of God, please no more original shitty 64 graphics, unless it's a toggle option. That deserves a spot on VC Nintendo online.

3DS actually looks like the box art/promo art. But I also want an actual upgrade beyond 1080p. Would it kill them to increase lighting, shadows etc. Not asking for a remake with a character model redesign.

Edit: yes minimum 30fps framerate like 3ds versions too

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So what about the 3DS version in your eyes is such an overwhelming improvement that it makes up for those swimming controls and boss fights? The fixed fan version I could understand.
I would prefer a "best of all worlds" with fixed swimming, Deku momentum, etc.

... But the 3DS version is still my preferred version. The save system is incredibly more forgiving and respectful of my time and availability. Having lost HOURS of progress in prior versions before (whether they be botching the very end of the Kafei quest, or the Gamecube version freezing on me after clearing a dungeon, collecting all its fairies, obtains several heart pieces and masks, etc.), being able to just save the game is amazing.

Visually, it's also my preferred version, with the refined visuals and animation really bringing the dreamlike and surreal Termina world to life in a way the N64 just wasn't able to. Seeing it in HD emulation is life-changing and I don't think I can go back.
11qwAB_k-RJsMxuBfNArSw1zQSWaLKGXs-O0JD0rhZ0b3dzergDhxlBnQjzoGY3e2kDxq6SWS4f_-djFJmW5e426B07xQ8x-yS0AANhW5g-SyizifWGNwHI

I actually enjoy a lot of the boss changes (not all of them), and the redone Bomber's Notebook makes keeping track of people, events, and schedules significantly more manageable. Stuff like the Zora egg quest is a LOT smoother, the addition of my ever-favorite fishing game was delightful, the additional 2nd-stick camera controls are great, gyroscopic aiming is intuitive, and the Song of Double Time allowing you to jump to the EXACT hour you need to be at is a massive time saver. The remixed fairy locations were mostly better too (with TWO exceptions...), and it's just a significantly more clear and focused experience. There's new sidequests even.

Yes, I do wish a few alterations would be fixed, but overall this is still a phenomenal upgrade over the original, I believe.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I had forgotten about the changes to some controls. I'd heard about them. I guess they could just revert them?

Either way, I'd be happy enough with the 64 versions with widescreen and tweaked modernized controls. But seeing as they couldn't give Mario 64 widescreen we'll probably just get 720p 4:3 and have to suck it.

Just give me them in some form really. All I have is the GameCube ports and Wii VC versions. I'd rather have them on my Switch so I can buy them one last time.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Both would fit on a Switch card, so...

But the best would be a clever mix of both, with some added improvements. OoT desperately needs a free camera option and a dedicated "change boots" button in the absence of a second screen, and a lot of the changes made to MM on 3DS weren't for the better. Keep the QoL features in the Bomber's Notebook and stuff like that, but gimme back the old Zora swimming and forget you ever did that shit with the demon eyes or whatever those things were on the bosses. Changes to the Twinmold boss fights weren't that bad though, the problem with both versions of that is the camera. Also, I preferred the save system in the N64 original, but I think I'm not in the majority there, lol.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
N64 version by a wide-mile. The MM lighting direction is pretty screwed up in the remake and ruins a lot of the atmosphere from the original. Probably to compensate for the 3DS's tiny screen.

3EcRhF4.png

Mar 30, 2019
I'm expecting the N64 releases cleaned up a bit. I do prefer the 3DS editions, especially for Majora's, mostly because the schedule tracking they added was a nice QOL bonus. I get the gripes for the differences, but the 3DS editions are just great. I really don't expect an All-Stars type collection though.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind the 3DS remaster but please, for the love of god, fix MM's fucking swimming controls.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely the 3DS versions. Maybe it's just because I don't have the same attachment to the original Majora's Mask as some here, but I enjoyed the 3DS version a ton and really didn't mind the changes that were made.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
They fixed too many issues with the 3DS versions to go backwards. Easier to add things to that build or revert the things people didn't like than go with the N64 builds. Especially since the FPS was improved.