Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Literally posted two hours ago.
Your response to my statement that some European countries have mandated vaccines is asserting that some didn't? Here is an overview of the vaccination schedule per EU country:

Vaccine Scheduler | ECDC

Giving insight in the vaccine schedules in all countries of the EU, provided by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC).

And of course that doesn't take into account countries where vaccines aren't mandatory, but enough people are in any case vaccinated because the vaccination is done through schools. Like I'm quite sure I only managed to avoid getting them from the school doctors by having proof that I got them from my personal GP.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
referring to it as a "hastily developed medical product" is disinformation, when it is clearly going to be subjected to all the regulatory approvals that any vaccine is in any nation where it's deployed

I don't think governments should force it on people, but I think it should affect people's ability to do things like travel and work in some fields (just like it currently works for a number of vaccines in healthcare for instance). Not just let them "take the risk" - because it's not just themselves they're putting at risk. That's the whole point.

I have seen interviews with people who work on vacancies warning about companies rushing to get vaccines out. Don't pretend as if it isn't a valid concern and that it puts people into the antivaxer group.

Oct 27, 2017
I have seen interviews with people who work on vacancies warning about companies rushing to get vaccines out. Don't pretend as if it isn't a valid concern and that it puts people into the antivaxer group.

Yea go listen to Paul Offit talk about the decades it took to develop the rotovirus vaccine and then we can talk about how we are gonna have a widely useable, safe vaccine for this shit in two years. I just don't see how it's possible.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I looked up TB vaccine and found this interesting article from yesterday.

news.umich.edu

Mandated TB vaccination predicts flattened curves for COVID-19 spread

ANN ARBOR—If the United States had mandatory tuberculosis vaccination in place several decades prior, the total number of coronavirus-related deaths might not have reached triple digits by late March. In fact, according to a new University of Michigan report, the U.S. would have suffered an estim

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
People who don't take it should be forced to wear a large letter C in public.

Also the vaccine should be free.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
yes it should be a requirement for everybody that can take it. any job or school should have everybody take it unless there is some health reason they cannot. by health reason i mean an actual reason and not some excuse provided by a quack doctor just looking to get paid for the note. any excuse needs to be carefully looked at and verified if the person is exempt.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Your response to my statement that some European countries have mandated vaccines is asserting that some didn't? Here is an overview of the vaccination schedule per EU country:

Vaccine Scheduler | ECDC

Giving insight in the vaccine schedules in all countries of the EU, provided by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC).

And of course that doesn't take into account countries where vaccines aren't mandatory, but enough people are in any case vaccinated because the vaccination is done through schools. Like I'm quite sure I only managed to avoid getting them from the school doctors by having proof that I got them from my personal GP.

My bad, I misread your post as basically saying "Europe doesn't mandate and it's doing fine." That's on me trying to post while working, and I apologize.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you have a medical condition that prevents it, sure, skip it, like every vaccine.
But if you're a precious little shit who's decided they'd count on others, fuck you, and there should be a price to pay. Like with other vaccines.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Of course outside of allergies/medical complications

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
Oh, fair enough, I misinterpreted that point. And full agreement on forcing vaccine creation, although I would broaden that out to a long-proposed (I know Elizabeth Warren talked about it, but it predates her) idea of having government manufacturing capacity for generic, necessary medications. Government-produced insulin, for instance, could be made incredibly inexpensively as well as renew research into modern antibiotics, antivirals, and vaccines that have fallen by the wayside in the push for lifestyle drugs in recent decades.

I agree 100%. It's a travesty that insulin (and most generic drugs) are not being manufactured at scale by the govt. There have been some horror stories coming out of those "generic labs" making these drugs. Antibiotics and vaccines are not on big pharmas radar at all due to the limited amount of $ they can make on it. Really, read "An American sickness". It's a depressing read, I had to read it in several sittings.

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't taken the vaccine? No treatment for you!

Leave the treatment/ICU beds for people who can't take it or who have taken it but it's not proved effective for whatever reason.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Australia has mandatory vaccinations you miss out on government benefits of you don't, we have also stopped anti Vax talkers from flying into Australia...so sure don't see a problem with it.

Nov 7, 2017
It def would be mandatory for "essential" workers (healthcare especially) and for schools so basically everyone would have to get it

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Yes, it should be required. I was talking to my wife today about this. I wonder if after there is a vaccine if you'll be required to have it to get into big public events, like concerts or sports games.

Oct 25, 2017
No, let the stupid people get sick if they want to

Not really how it works. The fewer people vaccinated, the higher the chance for an eventual mutation that nullifies the vaccine. Also Vaccines don't 100% work on all the people who take them forever. Vaccines aren't an end in and of themselves, the goal is to leverage herd immunity into driving the virus into eventual extinction.

Good luck enforcing that, America.

It's been enforced in America without much of an issue for over 100 years.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Forcing it isn't necessary. It'll end up backfiring if it's forced. Just make it mandatory for schools and adults will follow suit.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Seeing how we are struggling right now, it will be a mandatory vaccination for sure in France.
Not having it will bar you from being a public servant, registering to schools, and most likely most businesses will require a vaccination certificate, unless you are allergic to all formulations (unlikely but could exist).
At least the first few years, then maybe relax if the recurring strains are not as bad, with strong recommendation remaining for the elderly and voluntary (and free) for the others. .

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
Assuming its proven safe and effective yes without a doubt. In fact we need to enforce more vaccinations. I'm not super well versed in each one but from a layman's perspective it seems insane that we don't require for example the HPV vaccine. It prevents a form a cancer for fucks sake.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If the experts say it is necessary and they can produce enough of the vaccine (not sure that's possible in the short term) and make it affordable and accessible, then yes.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still wondering how are they are going to distribute it. I'm guessing they'll start from oldest to youngest.

Oct 25, 2017
Has it? We haven't even use the smallpox vaccine on the population in the past 37 years.

Because smallpox was declared eliminated in 1980 with the last cases occurring in America in the 40's. That's the end goal for any vaccine, to use it to element the disease entirely.

I'm still wondering how are they are going to distribute it. I'm guessing they'll start from oldest to youngest.

Not necessarily, school children, for instance, should be prioritized. Because schools are generally a hotbed for disease transmission and because preexisting school infrastructure will make it easier. You need to get the biggest chunks of the population vaccinated as quickly as possible. Doing that will protect at risk groups more than giving them the vaccine directly.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Not necessarily, school children, for instance, should be prioritized. Because schools are generally a hotbed for disease transmission and because preexisting school infrastructure will make it easier. You need to get the biggest chunks of the population vaccinated as quickly as possible. Doing that will protect at risk groups more than giving them the vaccine directly.
actually younger people are bigger spreaders so it depends on how prevalent the virus is at that time
I agree.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I'm aware of the facts. How exactly do you see mandatory vaccination of adults working out post in post-2020 America?

I was super confused by your question, so I stuck with the basics.

I am not sure how the cessation of the smallpox vaccine relates to the fact that state-issued, mandatory vaccinations have been the understood law of the land for over 100 years. Why would one of the greatest examples of the efficacy of mandatory vaccine programs be a piece of evidence against mandatory vaccination programs?

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was super confused by your question, so I stuck with the basics.

I am not sure how the cessation of the smallpox vaccine relates to the fact that state-issued, mandatory vaccinations have been the understood law of the land for over 100 years. Why would one of the greatest examples of the efficacy of mandatory vaccine programs be a piece of evidence against mandatory vaccination programs?
A law being on the books is different than it being "enforced" for 100 years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one's been vaccinated under that law for at least 37 years.

We're not in the 70s anymore. Sure, you start the US's largest free vaccination programme, roll it out across the country. What do you do with the people who refuse in a country sitting on almost 400 million guns?

Oct 25, 2017
A law being on the books is different than it being "enforced" for 100 years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one's been vaccinated under that law for at least 37 years.

We're not in the 70s anymore. Sure, you start the US's largest free vaccination programme, roll it out across the country. What do you do with the people who refuse in a country sitting on almost 400 million guns?

Not a law on the books, a landmark Supreme Court ruling. Currently 31 states have some sort of mandatory vaccine law that has no exemption for personal philosophical reasons. Those states have varying levels of religious exemptions. This has been the established status quo and the trend over the last decade has been in the direction of further narrowing and eliminating exemptions.

The two states that have mandatory vaccination laws with absolutely no exemptions of any kind are Mississippi and West Virgina, which kind of runs counter to your theory that gun owners are going to rise up against forced vaccinations.