• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
nogoodnamesleft
Oct 25, 2017
120 FPS is more than enough for me on my oled, the 24 frames can die in a fire if i have to sacrifice the excellent picture and deep blacks of an oled.

Oled120>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>144

i agree and i have both! but the issue is its really hard to run games at native and 120fps on the c9 :( even with a 3080 and 1440p TO ME (please see: to ME) looks pretty bad on the 4k display

but native 1440p144hz is so nice im sometimes prepared to sacrifice the blacks for dat smoooooth

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried 120+ FPS with my C9 and my AOC 24G2 and I don't feel any difference at all except for Windows.
For me it's more than feel, and more that I'm able to track and be aware of a lot more, especially in chaotic games with a ton of effects going off. My first time testing 144fps was in Warframe and I felt like I was in a Quick Silver X-Men scene almost. I could see past the crazy chaos going on and keep up with enemies a lot better.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Going from the 120 FPS Doom to the 30 FPS Final Fantasy X legitimately game me motion sickness. I'm not even a framerate snob but it took me some time to readjust

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
As a recent convert to a nice PC and preorderer of a next gen console

Nah bro, AoC will be lit. Framerate doesn't matter so much when the game is that fun.

in this day and age sub 30fps should be illegal. LOL

I can't believe nintendo allowed Hyrule Warriors to be demoed like that. They used to have standards, now its all about the money.

OP
OP
nogoodnamesleft
Oct 25, 2017
one thing that i remain firm on though-i really dont like ultrawide and i REALLY dont like curved screens lol

120+hz though? you got me. im in.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
120 vs 60 is going to be the new insufferable 60 vs 30 for the next few years isn't it.

giphy.gif
Not really, because 60 FPS isn't a slideshow, and the only thing insufferable is 30 FPS games that have no business running at that slow frame rate.

Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed for instance. The console version was absolute shit solely because of its frame rate. Same goes for Sonic Generations.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I still have yet to experience anything above 60fps.

Turns out my TV can support 120hz (at 1440) so I guess I'll find out next gen, whenever I can find one of the new consoles.

Dec 4, 2019
Its nonsense. Then again youre all probably sensitive.SoTC on PS2 isnt trash to me because of SoTC on PS4. You all be acting like youre throwing up all over when you watch a stop motion movie.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think it depends on the game but first person shooters are just stuttery at 60 FPS when you're used to 100+. That's the genre that benefits the most as far as I can tell in the 6 months I've had my 144 Hz Freesync monitor.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anytime I see one of these threads I always have to question exactly what is wrong with me, I have a 144hz gsync monitor with a computer that crushes nearly any game at max setting but I still cant see the difference in a game running at 144 to a game running at 30 fps.

The only time I see frame issues is if it drops below 30, anything at or above that threshold I can't tell the difference.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've been playing the DOOM Eternal DLC at 144fps thanks to the 3080 and it's been great. I bumped it down to 60 to see how it felt...and it was fine. Obviously the higher FPS is better but I don't think 60fps it totally ruined for me yet.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
After about a year of playing nothing but PC games on my 120Hz display I checked out Death Stranding on my friend's base PS4 and was completely thrown by how choppy it looked. It was fine to play but in the time I spent with it it never once looked smooth. The concept of a "smooth 30fps" is totally lost on me at this point.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
one thing that i remain firm on though-i really dont like ultrawide and i REALLY dont like curved screens lol

120+hz though? you got me. im in.

I actually just went from a 1440p 144HZ to a 1440p 144Hz curved ultrawide lol idk, it's been neater more immersive than I expected. Multitasking outside of games is easier, but man, the extra real estate when you ARE gaming is pretty cool. I wouldn't say MANDATORY, but a cool upgrade

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I went from a 1080p 60fps monitor to a 1440p 165hz G-Sync monitor and now nobody will EVER get me back to gaming at 60fps willingly!

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
30 to 60 FPS is like 200% increase in responsiveness. 60 to 120 feels like 20% at best.
It's neat, but not as game changing.
This is what I don't get.
Yes, higher frame rates are more responsive. I'd argue that it's quite a bit more than your 20% though - especially with a mouse.

But the main driver of high frame rates for me is how much smoother and clearer the image is in motion.
Responsiveness is a distant second behind how much better it looks.

Its nonsense. Then again youre all probably sensitive.SoTC on PS2 isnt trash to me because of SoTC on PS4. You all be acting like youre throwing up all over when you watch a stop motion movie.
I can use motion interpolation to fix movies.
It doesn't work well for games with unstable frame rates or unpredictable camera movement, and adds too much latency.
That said, I can't think of the last time I watched a stop-motion movie. Perhaps Coraline or Fantastic Mr. Fox over a decade ago?

Games running at less than 60 FPS do make me motion sick though.
But motion sickness doesn't mean that I'm throwing up. I get feelings of nausea; bad headaches or migraines; dizziness; sometimes it feels like the room is spinning - or is on the precipice of doing so; I might break out in a hot sweat.
It can be bad enough sometimes that I have to go lie down in a dark room for the rest of the day. It literally ruins my day.

Just about anything that people attribute to a bad VR experience, I've had from 30 FPS too.
But people here seem to at least accept that it can be a problem for VR.
Personally, I have no problem with room-scale or teleportation in VR. I was able to do that for hours with my first experience of it, and felt fine.
But as soon as there is smooth locomotion (traditional video game movement using the analog stick) I have an immediate reaction and need to stop.

Control is very well optimised it's just a next gen title out now in the current gen, and requires bleeding edge hardware to run well
Bullshit. People said the same about Quantum Break too, and it still runs terribly two generations of hardware later.
Remedy are just bad at optimization and use horribly ugly low sample-count effects with temporal accumulation which results in ghosting and noise everywhere.

It's like kerning. Once you notice it, you notice it a lot.
What is keming? I had to do it.