arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I think a lot of folks aren't aware of the convenience/quality life things that makes the series x a really nice experience. Threads like this remind me of what some folks are willing to tolerate
I think it's all in the name for the "next gen experience OS" and I am tired of it. Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3-5, Switch, Wii U, every so called next gen OS didn't have many features you'd expect in the generation and many bugs to begin with. But as long as people see something new and think "awww next gen", I don't think many complains will be heard. This includes reviews from journalist saying the OS feels next gen and just focusing on the positives, which undoubtedly were there with all those consoles too. But I think the negative outweigh the positives.

I dunno what it is, but on PC or mobile this wouldn't fly. Just imagine the next iOS having like 35% of the features and being buggy. The shitstorm would be trending on twitter, but with console gamers it seems like most, as you said, tolerate and even defend this. I honestly don't get why and I say this as someone experience everyone of those listed OS and UI ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The download bar is also install and copy, it's just a better looking way of showing progress. It's the same in Windows and I'd assume Android/IOS/Mac OS too.

Because an update just downloaded isn't going to do anything really is it, it at a minimum also needs to install.
Not entirely.
I think PlayStation downloads the file and then installs thereby requiring more free space to be available than the final install size of the game. I'm not 100% certain but I'm absolutely sure that I've seen atleast some PS games require like upto twice the installation size to be free in the storage. It may be less for some games depending on how it was packaged but download and installation are absolutely two different processes in PlayStation. They may be mixed together in some cases (like those games where you can boot with partial install but the "process" itself seem to be separate)

This does not happen on Xbox from what I remember and you pretty much only need to free up the space that the final installation takes as both the download and installation is part of the same "process". Much in the same way UWP apps work on windows.

Last edited:

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
it does installing, but with a patch as I proved earlier it takes less than 1 second after downloading. Copying is an entirely different thing than installing, because on PS a 43mb patch can require you to have 30GB of free space and it takes much longer. Xbox doesn't do that. If you have 2GB available on the SSD, then you can install a 1,9GB patch easily. Will be installed in no time, too.

Installing =/= copying! There are two major complains with PS. Copying takes up to much space and it is done after the download, hence it taking so much time.
Well Xbox also installs 20GB patches instantly, so its obvious it hides, or more correctly, merges the process of download and install. PS4/5 does this differently. That was the point of my post. The copying thing wasn't there for first 2-3 years of PS4 and no one complained about it. I don't think they changed the way games install halfway through the gen, just that the new FW started showing the entire process in multiple steps.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's all in the name for the "next gen experience OS" and I am tired of it. Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3-5, Switch, Wii U, every so called next gen OS didn't have many features you'd expect in the generation and many bugs to begin with. But as long as people see something new and think "awww next gen", I don't think many complains will be heard. This includes reviews from journalist saying the PS feels next gen and just focusing on the positives, which undoubtedly were there with all those consoles too. But I think the negative outweigh the positives.

I dunno what it is, but on PC or mobile this wouldn't fly. Just imagine the next iOS having like 35% of the features and being buggy. The shitstorm would be trending on twitter, but with console gamers it seems like most, as you said, tolerate and even defend this. I honestly don't get why and I say this as someone experience everyone of those listed OS and UI ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Because 95% of the time you just play games lol. The Shop and the UI has been criticized many times, but since it's not something you see 95% of the time while using the console, then i can understand why noone gives a shit.

Moodz

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that Warzone needs 107gb of free space to be able to update is becoming unbearable.
I don't understand how this shit has been flying for so long

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I've never had any problems? Just set for something to download.. walk off and your phone app tells you when it's ready to play. Pretty simple?

Seeks like such a small thing to ditch an entire console over tbh, some huge overreacting here.
I don't think OP said he wants to ditch the console, though. He just wants to buy third party games for Xbox going forward, because it's much more convenient.
Well Xbox also installs 20GB patches instantly, so its obvious it hides, or more correctly, merges the process of download and install. PS4/5 does this differently. That was the point of my post. The copying thing wasn't there for first 2-3 years of PS4 and no one complained about it. I don't think they changed the way games install halfway through the gen, just that the new FW started showing the entire process in multiple steps.
I remember people were complaining about the free space a patch needs from the very first day. This is not happening on Xbox and never has. I think it's besides the point, whether Xbox merged the install or not, because the end result is you can start playing instantly or very few seconds after downloading it and you just need the space the patch needs, instead of having some games requiring you to have 30GB for a 43mb patch as someone said. So the bottom line is, Xbox solution is way more convenient for the user.
When you play a gane that has constant updates, like Warzone for instance, its a massive pain in the ass. And it creates massive problems with organizing space on the console. A 17GB update will require 100+GB of free space. It's fucking ridiculous
That's the most annoying part with the copying on PS.
will say downloads are hell a lot faster on ps5 then on the xbox it take for ever to download updates
Close the games and then it shouldn't take forever.
Try having problems logging in to Xbox Live and with that not even being able to play any games on my Series X (because you have to be offline to do that and to be in offline mode you apparently have to be online first, god I miss how the 7th gen consoles handled stuff like this).
If you set your Xbox as the primary console, then you don't need to be online to play games.
but it's hard not to recognize how well MS has built up their new OS/HW this gen that I think get too little recognition.
Exactly and I sure hope PS6 doesn't have a new OS once again. Just keep updating and adding new features.
"Xbox does this too"

I can't say I've ever had to sit for 30 minutes after a 300mb with CoD, that's never happened that I recall. Seems to be a PS thing.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The fact that Warzone needs 107gb of free space to be able to update is becoming unbearable.
I don't understand how this shit has been flying for so long
I think one of the reasons is the fact that many think/assume other platforms do this, too (tm). That's enough for some people to not complain. But if you own multiple consoles flaws are way more evident on each device you own.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I remember people were complaining about the free space a patch needs from the very first day. This is not happening on Xbox and never has. I think it's besides the point, whether Xbox merged the install or not, because the end result is you can start playing instantly or very few seconds after downloading it and you just need the space the patch needs, instead of having some games requiring you to have 30GB for a 43mb patch as someone said. So the bottom line is, Xbox solution is way more convenient for the user.
Both approaches have its pros and cons. For eg since PS has hands off approach to updating, you can actually launch and play the game while its updating. Doesn't help with online MP part, but for offline stuff you're not blindsided with sudden update to a game you haven't played for a while and have to quit the game just to update. This is pretty great for someone who doesn't keep their console in standby all the time.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
- Because only the 8 most recent games I played are on the home screen
- There are no folders for me to organize by genre, etc.
- I have 273 games installed on Extended Storage and there is no SEARCH function (and 931 games total which makes the issue even greater)
- I can only sort alphabetically, by install date, or by file size
- I only see icons, no names underneath icons, unless I hover over a tile (a LIST view would help here)
- When you scroll down the library and have it set to Alphabetically, it doesn't show the active LETTER you are on like how Steam (and maybe Xbox) does it. So you can't quickly scroll through.

So if I want to find a game I haven't played in a while I need to set it to Name (A - Z) and scroll down until I recognize the icon.

Are you OK?

See above.

And if you're still wondering WHY?!?!?!!? WHAT?!?!?!?! WHO?!?!?!?! ask Sony, they figured all of the above out on the PS4. So yeah, why did we downgrade our software when we upgraded our hardware?

Reported.

Yeah, it sucks if you have a large library. Kinda feels like people with large libraries, and that take advantage of their ecosystem the most, get the shaft. I don't understand some of the criticism against you here. The solution is...don't have a large library? Whelp, I guess xbox/pc it is?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I don't understand some of the criticism against you here. The solution is...don't have a large library?
This made me laugh 😂
Apparently that's what it is and btw I acknowledge this issue the user had, isn't something that happens a lot... But then again you would imagine enthusiastic gamers on a gaming forum like resetera, would at least understand his problems. Because we are those with many games usually. I guess I was wrong...
Both approaches have its pros and cons. For eg since PS has hands off approach to updating, you can actually launch and play the game while its updating. Doesn't help with online MP part, but for offline stuff you're not blindsided with sudden update to a game you haven't played for a while and have to quit the game just to update. This is pretty great for someone who doesn't keep their console in standby all the time.
This is indeed great and the only pro out of many cons for the solution PS uses.

U Know Me

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
we were playing warzone last week and got hit with an update mid match. I was on the series x and my buddies were on ps5. We all downloaded the update around the same time but then they all had to copy which took longer than the download. Warzone is a Ps4 game so I thought that was the reason.

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
I was shocked when I was asked to clear 100+GB of space for a 240mb update for Warzone this morning. Is this normal with the file structure PS5 uses? Makes me a little worried about the size of the SSD in mine.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I was shocked when I was asked to clear 100+GB of space for a 240mb update for Warzone this morning. Is this normal with the file structure PS5 uses? Makes me a little worried about the size of the SSD in mine.
All games need to copy and so on, but it's not common to need 100+ GB and depends on the game. However all games need more space than the patch is big.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It does auto update stuff not on the home screen.

Ah, so it is how I thought it functioned. So turning off auto updates is the right choice for me then.

I think a lot of folks aren't aware of the convenience/quality life things that makes the series x a really nice experience.

Ya, I think a lot of people just aren't ware of all the quality of life features in the Xbox OS. It helps that they didn't throw it away too when using an OS for the Series X. It may be "boring" because it's the same UI, but man if it isn't fully mature and fleshed out with functionality that just works. I was hoping Sony would rectify some of their shortcomings by creating a new OS, but so far it doesn't seem like it.

Oct 25, 2017
it does installing, but with a patch as I proved earlier it takes less than 1 second after downloading. Copying is an entirely different thing than installing, because on PS a 43mb patch can require you to have 30GB of free space and it takes much longer. Xbox doesn't do that. If you have 2GB available on the SSD, then you can install a 1,9GB patch easily. Will be installed in no time, too.

Installing =/= copying! There are two major complains with PS. Copying takes up to much space and it is done after the download, hence it taking so much time.

Yep, this is how it works.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Ah, so it is how I thought it functioned. So turning off auto updates is the right choice for me then.

Ya, I think a lot of people just aren't ware of all the quality of life features in the Xbox OS. It helps that they didn't throw it away too when using an OS for the Series X. It may be "boring" because it's the same UI, but man if it isn't fully mature and fleshed out with functionality that just works. I was hoping Sony would rectify some of their shortcomings by creating a new OS, but so far it doesn't seem like it.

I hear this a lot. My understanding is they actually did change the underlying OS from being Win8 based to Win10 - so they changed a lot under the covers, and converged their SDK/GDKs and tool stacks. So while it looks like the UI there's a bunch under the hood that changed - these changes were done leading up to SX launch.

Sony's approach is definitely more legacy - and is even more odd considering the intent to be as backwards compatible as possible leading into the new generation - or at least being able to flex that quite a bit by staying on traditional x86 HW. Either way, making breaking changes between versions like this is pretty bad - and some paper cuts are acceptable - but some of these are behavior changing or requires the customer to compromise. Wish folks would hold them a bit more accountable as consumers - but, as it is it is more defended than not.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Between that and the limited storage space, the decision to make the Series X my 3rd party machine was quite easy.

Same. Plus preferring the Elite controller to the Dualsense. Will still end up with some online 3rd party games on PS5 as some friends I play the most with probably won't get XSX.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
I think it's all in the name for the "next gen experience OS" and I am tired of it. Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3-5, Switch, Wii U, every so called next gen OS didn't have many features you'd expect in the generation and many bugs to begin with. But as long as people see something new and think "awww next gen", I don't think many complains will be heard. This includes reviews from journalist saying the OS feels next gen and just focusing on the positives, which undoubtedly were there with all those consoles too. But I think the negative outweigh the positives.

This. The whole "at least the PS5 has a next gen UI" is just nonsense. What the hell is a "next gen UI"?? People seem to prefer taking a downgrade in features and usability because "look! new and shiny!"

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there is any "copy" process on Xbox.

I'm basing this assumption on the fact that you can still download updates with less than 2x the update space available.

People in this thread are conflating copying and installing. They are different things. Both systems install games, but the PS also copies, which is why people like the OP need to free up space to download patches. With the Xbox you don't need to do this.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
This is one of the (many) reasons I made the switch to PC gaming late last year, but definitely towards the top of most compelling reasons. Nothing was more infuriating than having a couple hours to play, just to find that I had to do a large update (eg. Overwatch) that would take 30+ minutes because of copying.

I hope they change it, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll be getting a PS5 eventually to play with a few friends, but that's really all it will be for if this sticks around.

Dec 21, 2017
I am so tired of this "copying" when downloading updates with PlayStation. I know they said this was going to go away. When I have very little time to game at night to try and get in a few rounds of cod with my buddies and I'm just sitting at "copying". Makes me just want to stick to my Series x and just play exclusives on PlayStation. Not worth it to me!
You should def get CoD on Series X. Better version of the game and you can still play with PS4/5 friends. it's win/win

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
For people saying xbox, didnt x1 do it as well but didn't label it? I heard it was intertwined with install. Not sure if SX does it too.

No, when the Xbox is done downloading, it is also done installing. It's actually pretty remarkable. I'd love to know how it works.

In fact, some games are ready to play before they are done downloading. "Ready to play!"

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
No, when the Xbox is done downloading, it is also done installing. It's actually pretty remarkable. I'd love to know how it works.

In fact, some games are ready to play before they are done downloading. "Ready to play!"

I'm not sure this is completely true. I've had cases where a game is slower to launch and says something to the effect that it's getting the game ready.

Sep 29, 2020
That's a weird issue. Did you contact the support to see if they can fix it?

Nope it resolved itself after a day or so. And I'm really holding out on contacting support of it should come to sending the console in as long as there's a shortage of them. It's an annoying issue but at least I have other stuff to play on when it occurs.

RobertM

Oct 31, 2017
I am annoyed that my PS5 complains about space even though I have selected external hdd for PS4 games.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I'm using my PS5 on a daily basis since release and i'm not having any issues at all. No clue what you on about lol. Those issues are extremey overblown

Trophies listing
Psn ps4/ps5 versions mixing up
Redownloading games
Copying/installing
Compared to ps4, barebones store (at least they added sale tab after months, yay...)
External storage
Messed up UI where they fucked up a few features/settings
No folders or editing your library with fixed unplayable demos or games.. no search engine so i am really happy to always look for some game when I own over 450 games. So much fun.

And its just problems that exist within system and that are a top of my head. I am srsly missing quick resume feature and vrr.

So yeah some have really big problems with ps5.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
It makes no sense either. Cerny has a good chunk of his conference last year on the patching system and how the new one works and is improved. Instead it's the same shit

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I also meant to add that even with updates, they're still reasonably fast to install for me and this is with 15+ games installed directly on the SSD.

The OP is taking about "copying" to install updates on a game. Here's an example:

Only game I've noticed this on is Warzone.... and it does take a bit. 106gb copy/install for a damn 240mb update. 🙄

So if you don't have 106GB already free you're going to have to delete something in order install that 240mb patch. It's annoying and really isn't about how fast it takes to install something. I hate this aspect to my ps pro. I guess it's still a thing on the PS5.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I am annoyed that my PS5 complains about space even though I have selected external hdd for PS4 games.
PS5 can't install games directly onto the external drive, thus you need free space on the internal to install stuff on the external. Poor design, because no matter what you do it first goes to the internal SSD.
I have no idea what this is about. I don't think I've ever had this issue.
So you never installed games (to be fair some of them only copy shortly) or had to free up space, because the console wants to install a patch? If you are not aware PS5 due to copying needs more space than the actual patch needs.

This can go to extreme scenario's, like CoD where you need 100GB free space to apply a 150mb patch. Another person mentioned installing a patch for another gamer (43mb in size) needing 30GB of free space. Bottom line is you can't manage data on PS efficiently and that's annoying some people.

Last edited:

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I believe that the reason "Copy" existed on PS4 was to defragment the game, and ensure that the patched game is always a continuous area on the disk so that the data streaming speed can be guaranteed to developers, who wouldn't have to worry about slow HDD seeks creating hitches during the data streaming. Otherwise, if the game has been patched a lot, the data would end up getting scattered around the disk. It was not the worst idea, as it ensured predictability and dependability to developers who could design games knowing that the maximum streaming speed will always be available to them. Downside is of course that this requires some time upfront, and demands enough free disk space.
If the same system exists for PS5 games (I haven't so far noticed it with PS5 games, but I don't have many), I have no idea what purpose it would serve.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The OP is taking about "copying" to install updates on a game. Here's an example:

So if you don't have 106GB already free you're going to have to delete something in order install that 240mb patch. It's annoying and really isn't about how fast it takes to install something. I hate this aspect to my ps pro. I guess it's still a thing on the PS5.

Yep, still hasn't really been an issue for me on the PS5!

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 can't install games directly onto the external drive, thus you need free space on the internal to install stuff on the external. Poor design, because no matter what you do it first goes to the internal SSD.

What? That's crazy. I had not encountered this yet, but I'm sure I was going to find out about it soon if this is the case. The internal SSD is a bigger bottleneck than I realized.