Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
F534-AA95-581-D-4-B3-E-8-BE1-5-C0-FFE8-DF265.gif

:P
Thank you for the laugh😆
I'm guessing pushing such major update gonna break alot of games and they are working to minimize that.

To which I say, good luck with that Sony.
Apparently it's happening with current-gen builds so I'm not sure if it's a BC issue.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
What exactly is the problem with copying? Longest wait while installing an update was a few seconds to a minute (including downloading) for me on the following games: Astros Playroom, Spider-Man, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Immortal Fenyx Rising, Control Ultimate Edition, Dragon Quest XI S, Ace Combat 7, Outriders Demo, Werewolf The Apokalypse, Final Fantasy XIV, Borderlands 3, Maneater, Godfall, Warhammer Chaosbane.

All PS 5 Versions except DQ XI, Ace Combat 7 and Final Fantasy XIV.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
What exactly is the problem with copying?
PS5 thankfully needs less time than PS4 to copy, but without copying things would be faster and copying still results in needing more space than necessary. And that's annoying, especially with the small size of the PS5 SSD.

Last edited:

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
I haven't noticed it as much on my ps5, so hopefully its just alot faster because of the ssd, or I just havent run into it. Regardless, it was hella annoying on the ps4 and disappointing its still an issue with the ps5

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am so tired of this "copying" when downloading updates with PlayStation. I know they said this was going to go away. When I have very little time to game at night to try and get in a few rounds of cod with my buddies and I'm just sitting at "copying". Makes me just want to stick to my Series x and just play exclusives on PlayStation. Not worth it to me!
People mistook what Cerny said, he only said it wouldn't require double the space of the game to install patches. But copying did not go away, it's something with their file system. Thankfully it's not as bad because the SSD, but it still stinks.

Thecrisisking

Mar 24, 2020
Only game I've noticed this on is Warzone.... and it does take a bit. 106gb copy/install for a damn 240mb update. 🙄

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Huh, now I'm curious to see if there are data blog posts with average install times for various game patches between PS4/X1/PS5/XSX/PC

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing this for the first time on PS4 and thinking "Sony does not have good engineers".
This improved somewhat with the PS5 but there's still enough reasons to warrant this assessment.

Still, it's nothing compared to the allure of their exclusives.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Huh, now I'm curious to see if there are data blog posts with average install times for various game patches between PS4/X1/PS5/XSX/PC
Here is the install of a patch on Xbox Series X:
20210302_063643_1e3kxy.gif

After the download the patch is installed in a split second. Perfect 👌

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020
Yes, this is disappointing since Cerny promised we wouldn't need to have to deal with copying on SSDs in his initial PS5 tech talk. The speed on the internal drive for PS5 games is not too bad but it shouldn't be needed.

Also, updating PS4 games on an external SSD (500MB/s speed) takes way longer than it should. It doesn't seem like it's getting anywhere near 500MB/s
It likely doesn't actually utilize that speed to the fullest considering how slow and ancient the ps4 truly is.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what's actually happening. Does PS5 first download a massive compressed archive to only then decompress it, while Xbox downloads and decompresses on the fly?

That might also explain why Xbox massively throttles download speed while playing a game, because that decompression can use much more of the CPU if no game is running. Maybe PS5 doesn't leverage the full CPU regardless of having a game open or not. No clue.
Not looking to Console War it up, but I'm glad I went with the Series X for the time being until I guess at least my 3 years of game pass expires (though MS Rewards may prolong that). My hope is that by that point all the exclusives I want to play will be out, a hardware revision will be on the horizon and it'll be smaller and a little prettier than the OG model PS5, and that some of these OS/platform kinks are worked out as PS4 support starts dropping and the system matures.
Same here, it's Game Pass all the way 'till PS5 slim comes along.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
It likely doesn't actually utilize that speed to the fullest considering how slow and ancient the ps4 truly is.
Downloading and installing games shouldn't need to account for the limitations of the old console, I think... again, at least on Xbox it doesn't really matter if the game is enhanced or not when it comes to download and install time.

I'm just really confused about what Sony's doing at the file management side that seems so inefficient.

JhOnNY_HD

Dec 13, 2020
Let me guess warzone right?

The largest game on PS4 library and tedius update system.

Hundreds of others game with instant patch doesn't count

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Didnt Cerny say in one of the keynotes that copying wont be a thing on ps5?? or am i tripping?

Dec 21, 2020
Downloading and installing games shouldn't need to account for the limitations of the old console, I think... again, at least on Xbox it doesn't really matter if the game is enhanced or not when it comes to download and install time.

I'm just really confused about what Sony's doing at the file management side that seems so inefficient.
Yeah that's a fair call to make I haphazardly and hastily applied one situation to another in this case.

It probably is something on their end that needs to be sorted out.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
User Banned (2 Weeks): Hostility, antagonizing other users over a series of posts
Who gives a shit? Are you looking for something to bitch about?

It's not even a decision, Sony gave me no choice.

I had no problem finding and organizing games on PS4, but on PS5 I found myself using the Store to launch games I already had installed.
What??! Why would you do this?

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's a fair call to make I haphazardly and hastily applied one situation to another in this case.

It probably is something on their end that needs to be sorted out.
If there's actually a difference in download speeds between PS4 and PS5 games, one likely explanation is that Sony is simply using faster datacenters to serve PS5 games. But in order to test that idea, we'd need several people to test their downloads.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What??! Why would you do this?

- Because only the 8 most recent games I played are on the home screen
- There are no folders for me to organize by genre, etc.
- I have 273 games installed on Extended Storage and there is no SEARCH function (and 931 games total which makes the issue even greater)
- I can only sort alphabetically, by install date, or by file size
- I only see icons, no names underneath icons, unless I hover over a tile (a LIST view would help here)
- When you scroll down the library and have it set to Alphabetically, it doesn't show the active LETTER you are on like how Steam (and maybe Xbox) does it. So you can't quickly scroll through.

So if I want to find a game I haven't played in a while I need to set it to Name (A - Z) and scroll down until I recognize the icon.

Who gives a shit? Are you looking for something to bitch about?

Are you OK?

Seriously! This isn't rocket science, go to your game library, go to installed....voila!

See above.

And if you're still wondering WHY?!?!?!!? WHAT?!?!?!?! WHO?!?!?!?! ask Sony, they figured all of the above out on the PS4. So yeah, why did we downgrade our software when we upgraded our hardware?

Because he still can't work out what "sort by" means

Reported.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
- Because only the 8 most recent games I played are on the home screen
- There are no folders for me to organize by genre, etc.
- I have 273 games installed on Extended Storage and there is no SEARCH function
- I can only sort alphabetically, by install date, or by file size
- I only see icons, no names underneath icons, unless I hover over a tile (a LIST view would help here)
- When you scroll down the library and have it set to Alphabetically, it doesn't show the active LETTER you are on like how Steam (and maybe Xbox) does it. So you can't quickly scroll through.

So if I want to find a game I haven't played in a while I need to set it to Name (A - Z) and scroll down until I recognize the icon.

Are you OK?

See above.

And if you're still wondering WHY?!?!?!!? WHAT?!?!?!?! WHO?!?!?!?! ask Sony, they figured all of the above out on the PS4. So yeah, why did we downgrade our software when we upgraded our hardware?

Reported.
Calm down bud, seriously. There were no folders initially on the ps4 either, I'm sure it will get there. Also 273 games installed? Jesus Christ, the vast majority of players aren't having the issue you are having and find finding theirs games a breeze. So yeah.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Calm down bud, seriously. There were no folders initially on the ps4 either, I'm sure it will get there. Also 273 games installed? Jesus Christ, the vast majority of players aren't having the issue you are having and find finding theirs games a breeze. So yeah.

You asked.

Sony doesn't deserve much slack here, there is no reason why they couldn't learn from their last generation - they chose to disregard their own lessons. It is bad planning and design.

And we haven't even talked about how awful the Store is. (Besides the loading speed which is great). They deserve the criticism.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I too thought it was supposed to be gone.
Honestly, I find the PS5 user experience pretty miserable. Nothing is simple. It looks cluttered. Just a mess. But yeah the copying shit is the worst

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Download a game or an update is incredibly fast on the ps5 though, so I have no problem with this. I buy a new AAA game and 5-10min later I'm playing it.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
the copying thing seems to be like PS4-PS5 API or engine issue since not all games do this
I prefer it over xboxs implementation tbh. I like to play games while the update is downloading which is not possible for xbox

but the other stuff

I mean sony clearly knows people want folders and search, its there on PS4, why not just design the damn thing from the get-go
it took months for them to add a deals section on the store, months, I'm not expecting these basic af features for years tbh
the app and webstore not having the wishlist, it's all a shitshow
Sony deserves all the flak .. its THE market leader and breaking sales records
I deserve an experience that is at least as good as the previous gen

Oct 27, 2017
Updates are pretty quick in general though? Far cry from the ps4 where it was often intolerable.

And to all the people weirdly bringing up the Xbox update process, let's not forget that it's hardly perfect there also. The series x will throttle download speeds incredibly aggressively if a game is running or even in quick resume. And you can't play a game if it's updating (not sure if they've fixed where it would just boot you to the dashboard without warning if an update was released and you were playing said game. That was always super fun with rdr2 particularly).

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
What I want to know is why you can't update a game unless it's on the home screen. This means I need to launch a game in order to bring it to the home screen but since I launched it, that means it'll grab the patch anyway. For games that are disc based, I need to actually pop in the disc into the system before I can check for an update because putting the disc in to the system means the icon moves to the home screen. If I want to patch multiple disc based games, that means I'm swapping discs just to patch games. I really have no idea why the context menu is different between the home screen and the library view.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
What I want to know is why you can't update a game unless it's on the home screen. This means I need to launch a game in order to bring it to the home screen but since I launched it, that means it'll grab the patch anyway. For games that are disc based, I need to actually pop in the disc into the system before I can check for an update because putting the disc in to the system means the icon moves to the home screen. If I want to patch multiple disc based games, that means I'm swapping discs just to patch games. I really have no idea why the context menu is different between the home screen and the library view.
This was the same on ps4. Its to stop the drive filming up with updates for games you aren't actively playing

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
This was the same on ps4. Its to stop the drive filming up with updates for games you aren't actively playing

That doesn't make sense though. Auto updating is a different concept all together. I leave that off because of not wanting to grab a ton of updates, but regardless having the "Check for Update" in the context menu shouldn't be dependent on that at all. It should just be one of the options in the context menu regardless if you're in the home screen or the library view.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
That doesn't make sense though. Auto updating is a different concept all together. I leave that off because of not wanting to grab a ton of updates, but regardless having the "Check for Update" in the context menu shouldn't be dependent on that at all. It should just be one of the options in the context menu regardless if you're in the home screen or the library view.
Ahh my bad thought you were taking auto updates.