Are you more interested in current gen right now or next gen?

• My attention is still largely on what this gen is doing.

Votes: 356 68.1%
  • My interest is leaning toward what we will begin seeing for 2020 and it’s new generation.

Votes: 167 31.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I'm not worried about next gen at all, and I don't even really pay attention to new stuff until pre-orders go up and we know more about what the launch is looking like. There's some absolutely incredible shit coming out on current consoles.

Miopia

May 10, 2018
Yeah, dude, you need a PC. Where the concept of generations is completely blurry and you can play de best possible version of each game. Actually, a capable gaming PC can already output graphics on par to what tou can expect from next gen consoles. Maybe It ends up reducing ir eliminating your anxiety.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
You gotta think about the now OP. Otherwise, you'll never be happy.

"Yeah RDR 2 on PS5 at 4K 60FPS is great, but if it releases on the PS6 it'll be 8K 60FPS!" Used to be me but now I've just come to terms to enjoy what's out now and not think about future titles as criticism for current ones.

You can always get a PC if you want to be ahead of the curve.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I still remember when Quake 1 came out on PC and I thought, "Wow, they did it. Graphics have reached the level of real-life now. Now they just need to improve the resolution."

I've been thrilled with how good games look nowadays. I was perfectly happy with how they looked on 360/PS3. I'm still perfectly happy with how they look on Dreamcast, tbh. I guess I'm easy to please...

But yeah, if you're not satisfied with current-gen graphics anymore, I second the thought of "why not switch to PC?"

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I like fancy graphics too, but I can't relate to being tech-focused to this degree. Generational turnover in console tech doesn't automatically bring with it anything particularly new in terms of game design and mechanics, which is what you're left actually playing once the novelty of prettier graphics wears off.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Your cross gen nightmare is going to last a long time this time. PS4 and Xbox One are going to be supported by new games for a Long time.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I've played too many bad games that looked amazing -at the time- to care any more.
I'd much rather play something that looks like a last-gen game but is fun and runs well, than some boring technical showpiece at ≤30 FPS. Or a good game which runs poorly because they started chasing tech.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you OP. I want to see what games can do with physics and AI once they have those fancy Zen 2 cpus to base themselves off. I am always thirsty for tech progress.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I generally get bored of the new fancy pants graphics so I don't really care about the jump to next gen really. I have a pc for that.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
People downplaying new gen hardware because they don't care about graphics need to seriously hook up a PS3 or Xbox 360 today and try to navigate their front ends and storefronts.

Everything from the ability to stream natively from a console to the controller improvements... PS4 & Xbox One were more than just 'shiny graphics.' I remember dropping $400 for a PS4 and loving the simplest tweaks, like the damn headphone jack in the controller, or the screenshot button, or SharePlay.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Entering a new gen early has proven to be a bad idea time and time again so I'm going to wait as long as possible until I get a PS5. My backlog being huge is certainly going to help.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The older I get, the less I care or get excited for new generations, tech upgrades etc.

Still on a 1080p TV and in no hurry to upgrade that and in no hurry to buy a PS5 and hope most things I want to play will be cross gen for a while. I've just got other things I enjoy more that I'd rather spend my money, pumping more money into retirement funds etc.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
There's too many great games that come out during the last few years for me to worry about the next gen. Most likely the games that launch on PS5 will not be as awesome as the slew of great games we got this year and last year, it's just the way it is.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Death Stranding has shown me that this gen still has a lot to offer tech wise
It looks bloody CGI like in cutscenes
I'm also excited for next gen and my mind is ready to be blown away by horizon 2 reveal

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I mean, I'm interested in new tech as well, but tech is meaningless if the games aren't there. Why worry about a console that will come in a year when I can play something now?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Tech is such a boring thing to chase in day-to-day gaming enjoyment. It's extremely exciting over the long run, especially when new consoles are being announced & released ... but overall graphical fidelity is very low on my reasons for playing a game. If a game is fun to play, it shouldn't matter what it looks like or what the tech behind it is.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I'm pretty much done with this gen even if there's still games to play. I just want to play everything on a new console now. I probably won't touch Cyberpunk until I can play it on a new gen for example.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really care about graphics. Thats why I play most of my stuff on my PRO over my X or PC.

What I do care about however is performance. And right now there are so many games that are just fundamentally broken on a technical level that I find it hard to look forward to anything coming out on these systems in 2020.

Jedi Fallen Order for example is HORRIBLE on Xbox One X. Thought it would be nice to play this game on my huge TV (no I cannot hook my PC up there) but the perfomance sucks the fun out of this game completely. Meh.

Guess I'm ready for Next Gen.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
As long as games are coming out that I want to play, I really don't care. Will buy a PS5 when it has games I want to play, this is what I always do

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
RIght now I'm playing Broken Sword 2, which originally came out in 97. I think next I'll play Jade Empire, from 2005. So I have a bit of trouble relating to this. I hope you appreciate free time you have!

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'm drowning in games to play. Just play fun games, idc about any gens.

To say I'm excited about new consoles would be lying. I'm excited to see new games though. I have a current problem where I'm so behind on all the games I want to finish and play and there is still so much good stuff coming for this gen.

This is me. And not just with this gen either - with EoL / past gen systems too. PS3, 3DS, and Vita all still have a lot of titles I want to play. That and the tail end of a generation tends to have some really good games.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
One thing at a time, although I will buy a next gen console day one, this gen games still great games, and I have a lot of them bought yet to play..
I will enter the next gen with a handfull of games of this gen to play, and I will play it (having enhancements or not)

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I still remember when Quake 1 came out on PC and I thought, "Wow, they did it. Graphics have reached the level of real-life now. Now they just need to improve the resolution."

I've been thrilled with how good games look nowadays. I was perfectly happy with how they looked on 360/PS3. I'm still perfectly happy with how they look on Dreamcast, tbh. I guess I'm easy to please...

But yeah, if you're not satisfied with current-gen graphics anymore, I second the thought of "why not switch to PC?"

Remember how crazy it was that you could actually look up?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Just because a new generation is coming doesn't mean the initial games will be worth it for the overall improvement in graphical fidelity (unless you're a PC only gamer who objectively thinks that a locked 30 FPS is a "bad" game)

Gameplay > graphics all day

Also, you mentioned not picking up God of War (2018)... the gameplay is quite excellent and will probably be just a good or better than most games that come out this year and next from a story and gameplay standpoint. Graphically it's still a top tier game from a visual stand point.

It's cheap too so I suggest picking that up to help supplement the wait until next gen.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
And honesty once you get into PC gaming all of this generation stuff feels asinine. You just play what you want to play, and upgrade when you feel like you need to.

But the PC doesn't have that wonderful feeling of a new console launch. It's certainly nowhere near exciting when nVidia or AMD bring out new GPUs. No, sir.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Of course next-gen will be exciting but its the last thing I'm thinking about. Just look at what has released every week for the past few weeks.

Oct 31 - Luigi's Mansion 3
November 8 - Death Stranding
November 15 - Jedi Fallen Order and Pokemon Sword/Shield

Don't even get me started on how stacked 2020 is so far with FF7, Doom Eternal, Cyberpunk 2077, Last of Us 2, Avengers, Elden Ring, etc. Next gen is the last thing on my mind.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I have a PC so I don't have any real cravings for next generation consoles tbh, I don't feel any hype for the tech, they'll most likely just bump up console exclusives to where PC gaming already is. And I have Game Pass so even though I've only bought two AAA games this year I'm still pretty much drowning in games to play.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I primarily game on switch, so I'm always stuck with something to play.

The one game I've wanted (open world in Japan) is the only thing that has me impatient.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I find it really weird to be impatient for next gen when it's going to just bring slightly nicer looking games

Games look so good already that you won't see much benefit from waiting

A new gen will likely bring years of cross gen games and even more years of rushed early games that fall short of being great

Just look at the last 2 gens. Weak early years and then it hits it stride about 3 years in. From a few years in you get years of consistent quality and then it all comes to an end when the new generation starts

2005/2006 (for 360/PS3) were not that great, and 2013/2014 were not that great this gen

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
this is the best time of gen though. games are cheaper AND the new ones are pushing the consoles we have now to the limit. Once you get your next gen console, it'll be pretty and all but honestly speaking there won't be many games exclusively on them until 2022 and on.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I find it really weird to be impatient for next gen when it's going to just bring slightly nicer looking games

Games look so good already that you won't see much benefit from waiting

A new gen will likely bring years of cross gen games and even more years of rushed early games that fall short of being great

Just look at the last 2 gens. Weak early years and then it hits it stride about 3 years in. From a few years in you get years of consistent quality and then it all comes to an end when the new generation starts

2005/2006 (for 360/PS3) were not that great, and 2013/2014 were not that great this gen

I think SSDs could bring more to the table than just improved visuals. Reduced load times and better performance could be huge for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I just got a fancy new 4K OLED last week so I'm itching to really be blown away. I love that the PS4 Pro and XB1X are a thing though because the wait would be excruciating otherwise.

Games now look genuinely stunning (playing SotC in 4K right now and holy shit) but I truly can't wait to see what the advances in CPU and storage tech bring us when it comes to gameplay possibilities.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
There is already too much to play and not enough time to play them in this current gen alone right now that I am not focusing at all at the next gen. I will maybe get a PS5 or the Next Xbox a year or more into its cycle.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
The SSD alone is going to be massive. Even faster than what you get on PC. No games have been designed exclusively for SSD so we don't truly know what to expect yet.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Its pretty common but meh im fine with this one, 360/PS3 one was annoyingly long and games suffered but now games look so pretty i don't care about a new gen, just curious about what new CPUs can do.

Also as games take longer and longer to make fewer come out so longer console cycles would be preferable. Next gen would be truly the top of game graphics to me budget and design will determine how they turn out not console limitations

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I was extremely desperate last gen around the end?, but not this time at all.

Plenty of great looking titles out and still more to come.

The gen is ending on a super high note.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Especially when performance is starting to look shaky on current gen.

That being said I like new tech

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
I missed a gen and I'm literally drowning in games right now. I won't be getting ps5 atleast for another two years.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
All I want from next-gen consoles is high quality in-home streaming.

I almost never just sit in front of my TV and play a PC or Console game anymore, I play my PC games streaming to my iPad while I watch TV using Moonlight (it uses Nvidia's streaming method, which I find works a lot better than Steam Link).

I've tried XB1's in-home streaming, but even wired directly too the router it's pretty jerky and I haven't had a very playable experience with it.
Tried PS4's streaming back when God of War came out and the latency was too low and the video quality wasn't very good.

As a result I barely play my PS4 or XB1. So if XB2 and PS5 are able to get that stuff working really well I'll be really happy.