Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Playing it right now for the first time, and I find the game to be pretty bad? Story is superweak, combat is really slow, you keep dying to mobs, story progression is gated behind sidequest and exploration.

The general feel is kinda like an MMO which was not what I was expecting when I begun the game.

Is the whole game like this? Is there a point where the game actually takes off?

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Playing it right now for the first time, and I find the game to be pretty bad? Story is superweak, combat is really slow, you keep dying to mobs, story progression is gated behind sidequest and exploration.

The general feel is kinda like an MMO which was not what I was expecting when I begun the game.

Is the whole game like this? Is there a point where the game actually takes off?

If you only play the main story, then I'm afraid you will end up disappointed. The last few chapters are pretty great IMO. I suggest doing the side contents such as Affinity Missions, Normal Missions, & Heart-to-Hearts to get a more satisfying experience.

Last edited:

OskarXCI

Banned
Nov 11, 2018

The game doesn't have the same story flow as Xenoblade 1 & 2 and it doesn't hold your hand. It's an open-world game where the focus is on exploration and world-building. The best parts of the game can be found in the side missions.

Imagine taking the rebuilding Colony 6 feature from Xenoblade DE and make a whole game around it but massively expanded. And yes, the whole game is like this.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

A good amount of rewarding story comes from the character specific side quests. I loved them.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I bought this not long after it came out and played it for a few hours and enjoyed it, but found it difficult to keep going and eventually dropped it.

The same sort of thing happened with XC2 but not to the same extent. I think I mostly dropped that because other stuff came out and I just forgot to go back to it. I got XCDE a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely love it, and I'm on the final chapter and shit is wild haha. But my enjoyment for it is 100% making me want to play X and XC2 again once I'm done with Future Connected, though I think I might wait a little so I don't burn myself out.

But I really don't fancy digging my Wii U out for it and wish there was a Switch port instead, but I've heard they've made comments saying that's probably unlikely which is a shame. I worry that I might not get into X as much due to the sort of game that it is, but hopefully if I do play it again I stick with it because it does intrigue me quite a bit. Regardless, I will definitely be going full on into XC2 at some point.

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
Me too! My BotW before BotW. The best decision I could make was to decide to go as far as I could on my feet and without getting the jetpack.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Great OP. I played Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition - my first MonolithSoft game - a couple of months ago and it was a great experience. I was going to look into Xenoblade 2, especially as I had watched ~half of the game when my roommate played it a couple of years ago, but I kept thinking back to Xenoblade X.

I still have my Wii U.

I think I'm going to get into that one next sometime before 2 or Torna or even their new game (if it releases in 2021, which I think is happening 100%)

Also Sawano da god doesn't disappoint, even if the music direction is all over the place :P

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
How the fuck have I not posted in this thread yet

My favorite Xenoblade, my favorite Wii U game and one of my favorite games of all time, genuine contender for top favorite. The world, art direction, exploration gameplay and music blend together into something so much greater than the sum of the parts, transcending its (many) faults with story progression, obtuse UI and cliffhanger ending that might never get a freaking conclusion.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

My favorite Xenoblade, my favorite Wii U game and one of my favorite games of all time, genuine contender for top favorite. The world, art direction, exploration gameplay and music blend together into something so much greater than the sum of the parts, transcending its (many) faults with story progression, obtuse UI and cliffhanger ending that might never get a freaking conclusion.

Couldn't have said it better myself. My favorite ever.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017

you're thinking about the game kinda backwards

the sidequests and exploration are the main draw, not the story

shadoclone

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So as someone who played the other Xenoblade Chronicles games for the story, skipping sidequests, strongly disliking the combat and exploration part, I pretty much put myself in this situation?
Not really, it's just quite different in what it tries to do compare to either XC1 or 2. Though I don't see how the combat could be seen as slow compared to either XC1 or 2, unless you're misremembering how combat feels early in those games. It's somewhat different but I would never even begin to think to call it slow comparatively.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
you're thinking about the game kinda backwards

the sidequests and exploration are the main draw, not the story
This is true, but I still ended up enjoying the story in the end.

Said it better than I could, it's an amazing game and I love going back and playing it from scratch which is surprising since I almost never replay games that don't have NG+.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Not really, it's just quite different in what it tries to do compare to either XC1 or 2. **Though I don't see how the combat could be seen as slow compared to either XC1 or 2**, unless you're misremembering how combat feels early in those games. It's somewhat different but I would never even begin to think to call it slow comparatively.

Oh sorry, I wrote my question poorly. I don't like the combat system in any of the Xenoblade games. I just find it too slow and uninteresting with all the cooldown watching.

On the flipside, XCX is a pretty decent podcast game so I'll try to stick to it a bit longer.

shadoclone

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh sorry, I wrote my question poorly. I don't like the combat system in any of the Xenoblade games. I just find it too slow and uninteresting with all the cooldown watching.

On the flipside, XCX is a pretty decent podcast game so I'll try to stick to it a bit longer.
Ah that makes sense, yeah they can be on the slow side particularly early on, I will say that XCX opens up combat wise later to a much greater degree than either 1 or 2 imo so that could be a hook, but whether that's worth the time investment or not is another question of course lol.

The exploration does lend itself to podcast listening or watching something on side quite well.