King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I found this game incredibly underwhelming except for the exploration while flying around. I'm a big fan of this team and have bought the collectors editions of all their games but this game has no redeeming quality for me outside of the music and flying your robot around. Wooden characters, and bad story that lacks any real punch. I expect a lot more from this team and this was quite a misstep.

This game was never really designed with storytelling as its primary focus. It was more about world exploration, and on that front, it's an undeniable success story.

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
This game. I need this game, I have 300h in and from time to time the itch to play it again resurfaces, even if I was never able to truly understand how to beat all superbosses and barely scratched the infinite overdrive technique.

SciFi Xenoblade is the best thing ever and I want more. Nintendo what u doin'.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
So: Real Talk

This game came out during the real low point of my last major bout of depression, which began in September 2015 and lasted into January 2016. At a point where I was spiralling - like reliant on acohol, letting a new relationship fall to pieces, barely interacting with anyone, falling way behind on the PhD I was doing - this game came out and completely transported me to another world.

While lots has been said about the slightly flimsy narrative, the quality of life issues in the way progression is gated, obstinancies in the UI and in the game communicating its deeper systems, I still think it's a magnificent game. When the games exceptionally deep array of interlocking systems come together, and when you're left to explore Mira on your own terms - gradually completing quests as a fairly natural by-product of eager exploration - it becomes one of the most convincing role-playing games I've ever played. Mechanically and thematically, I felt like an explorer as part of an expedition on an utterly alien world. I sank some 130 hours into it and adore it despite the flaws. While some people want a stronger or more overt narrative focus as a fix, I want the opposite - let the exploration and the interlocked systems remain at the forefront, remove the gate-keeping main-story, and tie progression to exploration, quests and community building (though maybe save that for a spiritual sequel).

I really want an enhanced Switch port which aims to resolve some of the game's original issues. And, importantly for me, that's not just because I loved the game and it gave me a dose of relatively healthy escapism (well, healthier than drinking myself into a stupor and sleeping half the day) during a difficult time. But it's also because I want to experience it without all of the baggage poor mental health brings. I played in binges that could last 8 to 10 hours a day, and I've never really done that before. I want to experience the game in a sound, healthier state of mind; to take my time mastering it over months.

So I really hope we get the 'Definitive Edition' treatment for this, and I hope someday Monolith Soft are able to make a spiritual successor which is exploration-centric and which adds greater depth and emphasis the themes and structures of community and discovery.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I think would've really improved this game was stronger social systems. I love how you can make friends with various BLADE members and take them on out on missions and stuff and unlock quests for them. But I remember it taking a long time. It would've been cool if it had some Three Houses-like stuff like letting you have meals together in the cafeteria or have an after mission beer together or something.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish it would be ported to Switch. I have no idea why it's one of the few Wii U first party titles without a port :/

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see online multiplayer for this game and see it become a MMORPG branch of the series.

Almasy

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it yet, but I read some people that despise Xenoblade 2 and adore X...

It makes me feel not as excited for this game than the numbered Xenoblade games.

I hope it is just people hating on Xenoblade 2 and making X look better.

If it comes to Switch, I'll buy it at 20%-30% discount.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would absolutely love a fully realized XCX2 on Switch. The world and scale was really unlike anything, I just wish it was more "alive".

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
It took me some time to realize that it's almost seven years old

The game came out in December 4th 2015 in both NA and EU so it came out a bit over 4 years ago. And if you played the Japanese version then it still hasn't passed the 5 years threshold. The game is not that old lol

Aug 12, 2019
I wish Nintendo would just fund this project. I know it would be expensive and probably Nintendo's most ambitious port to date from Wii U to the Switch... but goddamn does it deserve it.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Replaying it atm. The world is just gorgeous, best open world JRPG. I don't understand why XC2's world is way inferior than X although they uses the same engine and the former hardware is better.

n6ldnFz.jpg

lOgwYjw.jpg

UgbTtIv.jpg

EaMoMYI.jpg

nXwWE9U.jpg

If anyone can tell me how to take 4K screenshot with Cemu please do.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018
I haven't played it yet, but I read some people that despise Xenoblade 2 and adore X...

It makes me feel not as excited for this game than the numbered Xenoblade games.

I don't hate Xenoblade 2 but it felt like a step back gameplay and exploration wise from XCX. When X launched it got a lot of flack for not being very story focused especially after Xenoblade 1 being such a cult hit. So Xenoblade 2 felt like a rushed effort by some fans to appease the more traditional story driven jrpg fans. Xenoblade 2 is still pretty good imo but X is my favorite for sure.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

All 3 games are great in their own ways. When X was new back on GAF it was getting shit on every week. Since they're all different it's led to this thing where each game has formed its own fanbase

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Ok, not exactly Xenoblade Chronicles X related question, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna.

XC2 made me a fan of the series, and XC1 is definitely going to be day 1.

But is it worth buying XC2 Torna? It's not exactly expensive, but with XC1 coming in 2 months (less, even) is XC2T worth it?

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, not exactly Xenoblade Chronicles X related question, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna.

But is it worth buying XC2 Torna? It's not exactly expensive, but with XC1 coming in 2 months (less, even) is XC2T worth it?

If you liked 2 I'd say so, yes. It's also considerably shorter than the "main game" so you will probably have no problems finishing it by then.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

it's worth it for the feeling of "why couldn't the main part of Xenoblade 2 be like this?"

Feb 16, 2018
Man this thread made me relisten to the soundtrack, its so good. All of the exploration themes are on point, Sylvalum Night and Noctilum Day are among the best in the series as far as I'm concerned.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

yeah it's pretty sweet. If you're into the postgame of XB2 there's even a new set of superbosses and stuff in Torna

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
You're not totally wrong, I too think that some of that can be removed (and keep in mind that 4 of them, like Yelv or H.B, were originally DLC in the Japanese version), but at the same time I never thought that the quest for each character were too few, they have at least 3 kizuna quest each.
Hopefully is an aspect that will be expanded or changed in an hypothetical sequel.
What I meant, tho, it's that they're not blank or hollow characters to me and I loved their characterization even during the battle, when the game has a lot of quotes thanks to the soul voice system.
They have fun battle quotes, yeah.

Torna is a prequel to Xenoblade 2 that's roughly 15 hours long. Since you liked Xenoblade 2, you'll probably enjoy Torna as well. Since Torna doesn't have an enormous playtime like the full sized Xenoblade games, it might be something good to check out before Xenoblade DE releases.

My main point against Torna is that you're required to complete a lot of sidequests to finish the main story. That said, I think most of the sidequests have better writing than the ones in Xenoblade 2, and I think the story in Torna is well worth experiencing.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
They have fun battle quotes, yeah.

Torna is a prequel to Xenoblade 2 that's roughly 15 hours long. Since you liked Xenoblade 2, you'll probably enjoy Torna as well. Since Torna doesn't have an enormous playtime like the full sized Xenoblade games, it might be something good to check out before Xenoblade DE releases.

My main point against Torna is that you're required to complete a lot of sidequests to finish the main story. That said, I think most of the sidequests have better writing than the ones in Xenoblade 2, and I think the story in Torna is well worth experiencing.

15 hours is perfectly doable then lol

Is the combat system more "refined"? Gotta say I didn't even like that part of XC2.

And finishing a 50+hour long JRPG without enjoying the combat, shows how much I liked the carachters, story and world (oh man, the world is so good).

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I think the thing that got me to take notice of the game was the moment in the initial reveal trailer with the fanfare that reveals Hiroyuki Sawano as the composer. At the time, I had no clue who that was (and this was before he really hit it big with Attack on Titan and Kill La Kill). I knew of the original Xenoblade, mainly just through the massive campaign to get it localized in the US. But from that moment onward, the game was planted in my subconscious. Then the E3 trailer hit and I was blown away by everything else. Of course, it took a couple more years for the game to come out, and I would probably consider it the climax of everything the Wii U built up over the years, becoming my favorite game on the console.

Oh yeah, and the soundtrack is one of the best of all time. So many memories listening to it again.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017

Is the combat system more "refined"? Gotta say I didn't even like that part of XC2.

And finishing a 50+hour long JRPG without enjoying the combat, shows how much I liked the carachters, story and world (oh man, the world is so good).
Torna's combat is similar to 2, but you have a set party instead of the core crystal system for blades and some parts of combat are simplified (any element combination can be used for a blade combo in Torna). The main difference in combat is that instead of your driver switching weapons, you switch between directly controlling the driver and directly controlling the blades.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018

The combat system is different and faster. Personally I liked the slower pace of XC2. However if that wasn't for you then torna might be.

Torna skips the Pokémon like blade colectathon for having two set blades for every driver (more traditional class system) and makes it easier/faster to do full driver combos within each class by swapping

It's a good narrative choice and the combat system is definitely more active

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I loved this game so much, even with its flaws. The music and the exploration was top-notch, and I loved that you could build your character in all kinds of crazy but still really good ways if you tinker with the system enough.

I'd love to see this get a Definitive Edition like XC1 is.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I'd love a remaster of this game. It's got a lot of potential but also a ton of tiny flaws holding it back on a technical and game level.

Cool setting and characters, amazing world to explore, MECHS, and more. But the idea of replaying its current state is just ugh. Randomized crystal pick ups for items... which are RNG based in a single player game where you need to find items for quests just is mind boggling.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I dont even care if it's X2. Just bring back mechs in the next game.

upgrading your mech and flying in the open world in X was one of the greatest things ever.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Another month, another "I miss Xenoblade Chronicles X" thread. I'm with you, OP. This game is a flawed masterpiece. It deserves to be set free from the Wii U.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Being real, I'd much rather replay XCX than ever touch XC2 again. And I put about 100 hours into XC2 to 100% give it a fair shake.
Good for you.

I wouldn't personally do the same with such obtuse system. I liked Torna for what it was but I sure as hell wouldn't try to complete it again, it's a chore. The only reason why I want XCX ported to the Switch was because my Gamepad broke and I never managed to finish it on WiiU and maybe, just maybe this time they will make it more intuitive to play (The story and characters will most certainly still be garbage though).

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Man, what I would give for a Xenoblade Chronicles Online :|

MMO in the gorgeous worlds that MonolithSoft creates, in the likes of Guild Wars 1 (towns are HUBs, rest is instanced).

Sigh...!

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found this game incredibly underwhelming except for the exploration while flying around. I'm a big fan of this team and have bought the collectors editions of all their games but this game has no redeeming quality for me outside of the music and flying your robot around. Wooden characters, and bad story that lacks any real punch. I expect a lot more from this team and this was quite a misstep.
I think the game has some glaring flaws but most of them stem from the fact that everything is so overwhelming. You start the game and nothing is explained really well. I mean I guess there is information hidden in menues, textboxes etc. but you have to figure out so many things by your own.

Once you are able to operate he game its incredible though. Primordia, Noctillum, Oblivia can be accessed fairly early in the game and you could swim over to sylvalum as well if you want (i think).

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Torna is Xenoblade's greatest map and that should be all the answer you need (... well, plus in your case how it's a shorter experience and that's really not a bad thing at all).

I never really understand the complaint about sidequests being necessary, there's not some insurmountable number of them like most Xenoblade games since this one is a much tighter experience, and they really make the continent come alive. Haven't had as strong affinity for a word since Majora's Mask , probably still my favourite Zelda game with the same flare for sidequests (not that I'd call it Torna's focus though since the mainstory is still).

Man, what I would give for a Xenoblade Chronicles Online :|

MMO in the gorgeous worlds that MonolithSoft creates, in the likes of Guild Wars 1 (towns are HUBs, rest is instanced).

Sigh...!
I'll never forget the initial announcement trailer where you could see characters far off in the distance of the screen fighting entirely different monsters, and the characters were even named like "Player 1" and "Player 2", etc. It definitely feels like a full-world multiplayer was on their minds at the very least and good god I want it so much, whether it be added to an enhanced port or I have to wait for X2, whatever it takesss.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Torna is Xenoblade's greatest map and that should be all the answer you need (... well, plus in your case how it's a shorter experience and that's really not a bad thing at all).

I never really understand the complaint about sidequests being necessary, there's not some insurmountable number of them like most Xenoblade games since this one is a much tighter experience, and they really make the continent come alive. Haven't had as strong affinity for a word since Majora's Mask , probably still my favourite Zelda game with the same flare for sidequests (not that I'd call it Torna's focus though since the mainstory is still).

I'll never forget the initial announcement trailer where you could see characters far off in the distance of the screen fighting entirely different monsters, and the characters were even named like "Player 1" and "Player 2", etc. It definitely feels like a full-world multiplayer was on their minds at the very least and good god I want it so much, whether it be added to an enhanced port or I have to wait for X2, whatever it takesss.
my problem with torna is that
it ends so abruptly once you fall in love with the characters.