• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you know for sure the "cities" in BOTW are already exactly the size and level of detail they wanted and not compromised by Switch hardware?
So you know for sure the "city" in AC/FFXV/Spiderman is already exactly the size and level of detail they wanted and not compromised by PS4 hardware?

Every single game ever made is "compromised" by the hardware it's on. That's not a convincing argument.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Without the portability, this machine wouldn't be anywhere near as successful. There's no alternate universe where Nintendo released a PS4/5 killer and captured the market.

I already said at least twice in this Nintendo will never chase specs again and that the Switch portability is the best outcome that we could realistically hoped for. They're never going to get proper third party support at this point so there's no choice in just copying an Xbox or Playstation console. I'm just arguing against people saying Nintendo don't need more power and their games would still be the same.

So you know for sure the "city" in AC/FFXV/Spiderman is already exactly the size and level of detail they wanted and not compromised by PS4 hardware?

Every single game ever made is "compromised" by the hardware it's on. That's not a convincing argument.

That's literally what I'm saying, we are nowhere near maxed out and every single developer is compromising to the hardware and Nintendo are even further behind. There are people in here claiming that Nintendo games are already at their full potential and extra power wouldn't be utilised. The reality is that they are the most compromised by a mile and you can see it in all their games under the cartoony aesthetic.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
With them using Nvidia soc's I think they could release something with the shield box power or higher after the next revision. This solution wouldn't be high end compared to the xbox or ps4, but it would be a lot higher than the Switch. The problem is they haven't made their games forward compatible so they won't get that many enhancements. I hope they start making their future games future proof because we may be coming to the last generation of remasters especially if game streaming takes off.

SegavsCapcom

Aug 27, 2018
Can they afford to be on par with Sony and Microsoft hardware-wise? Those two have way more resources than Nintendo ever could have, and can afford to take a hit or two. One high profile failure can wipe Nintendo out.

ynthrepic

Oct 25, 2017
In fairness to BOTW, it wouldn't really make sense to have bustling cities full of people a mere 100 years after Calamity Ganon came and pretty much caused an apocalypse.

It would be the case regardless of the narrative though. Bustling cities or smaller townships can both benefit from having stronger hardware. We're talking about a game with some serious dropoff in detail and disappearing models not too far from where you stand, having more things happening in the small towns helps too because its still reminding me of SNES era RPGs where npcs are mostly either static or on a basic path.

Thats also a budget thing, but the hardware also limits how much is going on at once as demonstrated by the Korok forest struggling to maintain 30fps.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Artists benefit from limited mediums, and I feel like Nintendo's best work won't come with One X like power
I believe this as well. Nintendo created and creates absolutely beautiful games despite the lack of hardware power. I always imagine that their games turn out so great because of the lack of power, as in they have to be creative and clever about how to approach game design.
Looking at how bloated other games are on more powerful hardware, I think the tight focus Nintendo has to have actually helps them, even though it might limit what third parties can do in terms of multi plat games.

On the other hand, games that are tailor made for the hardware - Octopath eg and others - are absolutely beautiful as well. That's where and when third parties tackle the limitations head on and sometimes produce their best games imo.

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
This console would sell like garbage so most of those games you guys are dreaming of wouldn't even be made.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I think BOTW could have used some additional horsepower. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice looking game with great art direction, but imagine if it looked like the original announcement trailer vs what we actually got?

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
If I could choose between a hybrid system that's lower powered or a higher powered dedicated home console, I'd stick with the hybrid. Yeah I'd like to see what Nintendo could do with PS4 hardware, but I like only needing one Nintendo system for a generation even more.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
So you want them to make a flop of a console?

There is no need for a third console doing the same thing but there is clearly far more interest on systems with portability which is why it won't be long before the Switch outsells the XB1 which shows that not everyone is interested in having the console with the highest graphical fidelity.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Yea, not blown up on a full-screen TV.

Mario-Odyssey-Wooded-Kingdom-Rabbit-Screenshot-2017-10-25-15-48-50.png

smo163.png

smo199.png

super-mario-odyssey-inside-a-rock-in-the-forest-power-moon.png

Versus the kind of fidelity we're seeing on other consoles.

spyro-reignited-trilogy-screen-09-ps4-us-04apr18

Ratchet%20_%20Clanktrade_20160426074201.png~original
You also have to consider that SMO is targeting 60fps unlike those 2 games. Besides that, Crash N sane Trilogy doesn't look that bad next to the other versions, so if Spyro comes to the Switch I think it would look fairly similar at a lower resolution.

Nov 13, 2017
The only thing I hope they don't do is a TV only console. I don't want power to take precedence over portability for them.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I guess their reasoning for first party is that even if it doesn't compare to the competition in terms of horse-power it's still better than anything they had in their own ecosystem. And since there is no other place to play their games they will always have the best version of those games, and also be "better" (from a technical standpoint or w/e) than the previous generation, so it's still the best it can be. Therefore they have no reason to chase after the competition and can afford to go in their own direction, at least in terms of their own content.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Microsoft and Sony now wage a war Nintendo refuses to take part in.
They don't have the same economic model, Nintendo focuses on high margin, ms and Sony have much lower margins.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
The GC should've been the final proof that good graphics don't equal success, I mean Rogue Squadron 2 & 3 were absolutely staggering.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would also like to them to go for more power in their console. It would also make it easier to port games over to Nintendo consoles.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The GC should've been the final proof that good graphics don't equal success, I mean Rogue Squadron 2 & 3 were absolutely staggering.
This.

Plus people forget to factor in that power typically means minimal profit margin to taking a loss and Nintendo can only eat losses like that for so long (as seen when the 3DS was at a loss) unless the hardware is expensive, which would also impact sales.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
If more power was the obvious route to success, why are Sony and Microsoft investing so much in streaming?

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
The Switch is actually the most state of the art nintendo console since a decade. I mean, this thing is a fraction of the size of its competitioners and portable and I can still play Doom etc on it.
Also I will take portability easily over raw power.

edit:
and I really don't understand all the "could" posts.
Every game on earth could theoretically look better on something else.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I don't care for anything other than a portable system from them.

That said, the wait for a Zelda that looks like Horizon in portable mode is a long one.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Don't think many people are actually saying they would do better with more power, the OP certainly doesn't. We are just imagining a world where games like Zelda and Mario aren't visually gimped by lackluster hardware.

OP
OP
Guaraná

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Im not saying that more power means success, I just said that I would like a powerful nintendo console to see what they could do.

Plus, the fact that I would like them to do a powerful console doesnt mean that I think they should do it.

In fact, considering their financial health, I think should stay with this hibrid thing for a long time.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Nah, I have my PS4 (and to an extent, a PC) for graphic-whoring. I want to keep Nintendo the way they are now.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you OP. Would love to see a Nintendo console that's competitive in specs again, even if I know why they won't do it.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
As someone who dearly loves their Switch, I agree. Ocarina of Time was literally a mind-bending experience for me, and I wish a Nintendo game could do something like that again from a visual standpoint.
Which is basically impossible now because you can't do another 2D-3D jump.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Odyssey is a prime example of a game that probably would have benefited the most from better hardware. All the worlds all feel restricted in size and the IQ is terrible. New Donk City looks awful.

Odyssey wasn't the way it was because it lacked power though. Odyssey was the way it was because of the deliberate design choices made by the dev team that worked on it.

I cant believe its been a year and i am still so bitter about this game being awful. So much of that game is just bad design decision after bad decision.

If Nintendo had wanted to make larger worlds they could have. See BotW or Xenoblade X or any PS3/X360 open world game.

So you know for sure the "cities" in BOTW are already exactly the size and level of detail they wanted and not compromised by Switch hardware?

Sure, they were. Also, It's a Wii U game at heart, not one built from the ground up or optimised for the Switch. If anything, one could suggest that the Wii U version was compromised because it wasn't possible to use the GamePad's features on the Switch. Stop this.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I wouldn't mind a two-tier option, like a $300 option and $400 option, maybe one of them would be a hybrid like a switch and the other would be a dedicated higher horsepower device only for TVs, but they would run all the same games. It won't happen and it probably makes little business sense, but I would definitely like the option.

VR would also be something I'd like to see them get involved with after playing Astro Bot.

XNihili

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
More power means also more expectations and more development times, more developpers, more money invested and higher risk for the same money return, less innovation and less games on the same time frame.
Doesn't look very promising to me.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Sure, they were. Also, It's a Wii U game at heart, not one built from the ground up or optimised for the Switch. If anything, one could suggest that the Wii U version was compromised because it wasn't possible to use the GamePad's features on the Switch. Stop this.

So instead of The Switch just change it the Wii U, same shit. The game was compromised by whatever hardware they had. The Wii U was already outdated in 2012.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
What we all love about the Switch (it's hybrid nature) would not be financially feasible with more power, the tech just wasn't there for the price point

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the whole "Nintendo doesn't need photorealistic graphics" is dumb. Look at a pixar movie, you could give Nintendo 100 times the power of a PS4 and they would use it perfectly for amazing effects.
BotW doesn't says "Nintendo doesn't need more power" to me. It screams "Nintendo can do sooooo much more with more power"

Yeah. In some ways, BOTW is one of the best looking games I've ever played but at the same time it often feels like they could have done much more with a more potent console. Obvious stuff like resolution or framerate, but also bringing the game even more alive. Game would especially benefit from more wild life. Every time I see some birds flying away I think how cool would it be if this would be 100 big birds taking off and not just 3 or 4.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer that they got out of hardware altogether, or at least went multi-platform, than going for more powerful hardware.
Keep making low-end portable hardware, and build the games for that to keep costs down, but release the games everywhere else too.
Games like Breath of the Wild can actually look good when they're not running on Nintendo hardware.

Can they afford to be on par with Sony and Microsoft hardware-wise? Those two have way more resources than Nintendo ever could have, and can afford to take a hit or two. One high profile failure can wipe Nintendo out.

It wouldn't wipe them out. Not even close. It's also worth noting that unlike Nintendo, both Sony and Microsoft sell their home consoles for $100 more, sometimes $200 more, and at losses, too (That is a profitable $299 VS an at-a-loss $399 or $499). If they were making them profitable at their asking prices, then there would be even smaller differences.