• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
I dont even have a super fast internet and i just downloaded Far Cry 5 in like 2 hours, you should definitely try with ethernet

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I had years of slow PS4 download speeds but a quick Google search revealed my regional ISP wasn't playing nice with the PS4 - obviously, since most people have perfectly fine internet speeds on their PS4 devices.

All my PC game services were able to utilize the full speed of my connection. To make it short: Now, said ISP was bought by another big company, which also offered a new contract to me. Same speed lower price. A few days later: perfectly fine download/ upload speeds on my PS4. Case closed.

There can be plenty of reasons for slow download speeds but the device itself is almost never the issue. Unless you think the WiFi module is defective which doesn't seem plausible to me.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never had problems with PSN speeds, but holy crap copying after downloads takes ages. 1 minute to download a patch, 45 mins to copy.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is such a variable thing for so many people that I'm fairly sure that whatever Sony uses for CDNs probably has a bunch of faulty nodes somewhere. It would explain why it sucks for some people while it works fine for others.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even hardwired it's awful. I download at 30 MB/s on my desktop. It must be like 4-5 on my PS4.

I can download a 80GB game on steam in probably around an hour. On PS4 it takes 7-8

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I had a launch ps4 and the Wi-Fi could easily get interference by other wireless devices, for example my wireless headset. I have a Pro now and it's much better now. I'm still on wireless and can download a full 50GB game is around 90 minutes, maybe even less, my og PS4 would take twice as long.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Me and my roommate each have a PS4 and they're absolutely trash at downloading anything unless they're plugged directly into the router.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of "works fine for me must be at your end"-posts after many people telling their exact circumstances is quite sad.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Wired connection. Buy a 50' Ethernet cable off amazon and staple the dam thing to the ceiling if you have to ;)

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of "works fine for me must be at your end"-posts after many people telling their exact circumstances is quite sad.
Honestly quite tame in this thread. It is abput Sony afterall.

People have to realise that ypur location and its PSN servers also play a huge factor. I have fantastic Internet, I load big GB numbers in few minutes. And my PS4 is not faulty or all PS4s that I experienced are faulty. The downloadspeed of a PS4 is dogshit, maybe the OP is overexaggerating but it is indeed too slow and next gen needs to fix it.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I have to do that pause, restart thing sometimes to get the speed going well again. Otherwise it seems to get congested.

The thing getting on my nerves lately is that copying it does after a patch downloads. That's taking longer than the actual downloading did.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Never understand this.
I am in France with ethernet connection and I download at 5 Mo/s easily.

Oct 25, 2017
PSN and XBL download speed are a joke, both consoles connected via Ethernet and I'm never getting full download speed, regardless of my internet connection.
On Steam and Battle.net I'm getting my full 45 - 50 MB/s, while PSN, XBL and the Windows Store are often around 10 - 20 MB/s.

Stopping and restarting the download helps sometimes.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Mine's been fine on PS4 lately, able to get about 50MB/s (400Mb) pretty much any time. I think the speed is mostly related to location and if you've got access to a nearby CDN.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
A PC with an SSD and 1gb internet made download speeds on the PS4 dreadful. I truly don't know the last time it took more than an hour to download a game on my PC.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely location and how many people are online accessing. I'm in Seoul and get 2Gb a minute daytime, 1Gb a minute on evening, and awful when Fortnite just releases a patch.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Theyre good for me, as i have decent speeds. Especially in rest mode too, I barely notice them. Unlucky, hopefully PS5 will be better.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
My Pro gets like 10 Mbps in the den on WiFi and 600 Mbs in the living room wired up.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I downloaded Days Gone last week and it took my ps4 pro around 40 minutes.

That's 67GB in 40 min. So almost 28 mbyte per second.

Most of the time my speed is absolutely fine but sometimes i need 20 minutes for measly 5GB.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
I feel ya. My speeds were like 2MB/s at worst couple years back. Had to pause/unpause to get decent speeds at least. Now I get full 70MB/s speeds and whole games download in minutes.

Xbox on the other hand hovers between 5-10MB/s and takes ages to download all the gamepass games.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
It has been improved greatly for me since like... I dunno, 2015? But it was bad before that. Did you change to google's DNS?

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it was dreadful. For me, things got better since last year or maybe late 2017. I don't have to pause/unpause anymore now, and I'm on Wi-fi.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not getting my full BW on my PS4 Pro but it's manageable. I got a 500Mbit/s connection and I'm getting 20-30MB/s from PSN using Wireless. But I do remember how it was when I first got my OG PS4, the speeds were horrendous. I think they improved a lot with SW4.0 or something.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
Sony was kind enough to hook me up with a code for Days Gone and on wifi it took around 40ish mins to download. So with the day one patch it was around 60 gb I want to say. But my PS4 Pro definitely has better speeds hard wired but it's always been slower than my One X and my pc be it hard wired or wifi.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Sony really needs more data centers. It's absurd how widespread this problem is.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
On my 300mb (BT FTTH in UK) connection, my Pro downloads at around 15-25 MB/s. So it's not great but certainly faster than what you're experiencing. Whereas my X and Steam max out my connection at ~37MB/s.

I remember a few years ago being with Virgin and they throttled PS3 (possibly PS4 too?) download speeds, and I (and many others) had to connect via proxy server on PC to get fast speeds. So it was the ISP and not Sony. No idea if they still do that because I haven't touched them again with a barge-pole.

EDIT: I feel very lucky to have 300mbps looking at many of the responses. That said it was only a couple of years ago when I was stuck on 4mbps at my old place.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
My PS4 Pro is never as quick at downloads as my Xbox One X.

I laugh at people handwaving stuff away as "must be your location" etc.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
I have a gigabit line and PSN gives me 90mbit on a good day. Honestly all 3 consoles download and upload speeds are fucking embarassing

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Its a PSN infrastructure issue

But the way the PS4 prepares downloads.... downloads... then finally installs is awful

You are better off setting it to do all this shit when you sleep

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
WoW not to brag. But I didn't even care with extra disc Space.
I Think never had a download that last more than 30 minutes. 200/200 ethernet.

Frank

Oct 25, 2017
I find it's only slow if I have a game running. As soon as I close it the speed maxes out.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
My speeds used to be horrible, far slower than every other service. It once took me 3 hours to download a 2GB update for Ark while my friends had it downloaded in about a half hour. Thankfully speeds have improved for me and while still slower than everything else, it's no longer taking 8 hours to download a whole game.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
EDIT:

Okay so all of my updates are working normally. I was able to download a demo just fine. It's pretty slow without Rest Mode, but in Rest Mode I was able to download 7 GB in less than 1.5 hours.

The problem is Final Fantasy XV. I uninstalled it because it's 499203920390239 GB. I decided to re-install it. Upon installation it tells me that it's downloading Patch 1.29. It gets stuck in "preparing to download" for a LONG time, and then it downloads super slowly. I put it on Rest Mode and it doesn't download at all in Rest Mode, and in fact it begins "preparing to download" all over again!

wtf? Pls help