• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
EDIT:

Okay so all of my updates are working normally. I was able to download a demo just fine. It's pretty slow without Rest Mode, but in Rest Mode I was able to download 7 GB in less than 1.5 hours.

The problem is Final Fantasy XV. I uninstalled it because it's 499203920390239 GB. I decided to re-install it. Upon installation it tells me that it's downloading Patch 1.29. It gets stuck in "preparing to download" for a LONG time, and then it downloads super slowly. I put it on Rest Mode and it doesn't download at all in Rest Mode, and in fact it begins "preparing to download" all over again!

wtf? Pls help

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I empathize, especially since I have a launch model with the older, crappy wifi radio.

That said, yours sounds faulty. I'd call Sony.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Download speeds are good for me. It took me much less than 2 hours to download 90+ GB of RDR2.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I have one of the most basic Internet package available in Mexico, and downloading 21 gbs will take me at WORST, like 3hrs. I am wired tho.

Sounds like your PS4 is actually faulty.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Try a speed test on the PS4 browser, something like fast.com

If the speeds there are acceptable then you are just in a poor location for PSN CDNs, nothing more you can do except complain to Sony. If you also get bad speeds on those tests then you need to look into your network, even possibly (but doubtfully) a faulty PS4 network card.

I'm assuming you are Wired, if not... you need to be.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks but I all boils down to your location rather than your internet speeds.

I hope this shit is improved next gen, but I am not holding my breath.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this sounds like a device issue.

But...Sony are notorious for using shoddy wifi. It took for the mid gen refresh for them to use 5Ghz, the PS3 couldn't do Wireless N...

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that sounds faulty. No way it's 4-5 hours bad for 21GB much less 21 hours

That's not the PS4 that's either your internet speed or something wrong with the system.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah either you have a faulty device or poor internet.

It reliably hits 10MB/s for me as long as I'm wired and not playing a game.

Solobbos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that sounds faulty. No way it's 4-5 hours bad for 21GB much less 21 hours

That's not the PS4 that's either your internet speed or something wrong with the system.
Nope, if you don't have a CDN close by the download speeds are pathetic. I get about 30 megabytes per second with my Xbox One X, and about 1-3 megabytes per second with my launch PS4 and my PS4 Pro, even using the same wire I use on my Xbox. The download speeds on Sony can be a slog and even rest mode or pause/resuming doesn't always help.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Download speeds for ps3 and PS4 have always been absolute garbage for me. I've lived in multiple cities and had multiple providers with always the same result.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
There certainly seems to be an issue on your end.

Installation times are more of a pain for me.

Download 2GB Siege update in 5 mins, takes 5 times that to install. Next gen can't come soon enough.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about right, I always have to watch PS4 downloads like a hawk because they'll run full speed for a few mins and then drop down to sub-100kb, pausing the download for a few seconds and restarting gets it back up to 6-7mb again but it's a ridiculously tedious process and unbeliveable that after years of complaints they still can't be bothered to sort it out.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I downloaded both The Division 2 and BFV(latest digital games) and both only took like 4 hours to download.....so *shrug*

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
I had extremely slow pan download speeds till I switched to a newer modem with my isp and it was instantly faster. Not sure why though, but might be worth a try to contact your isp and see if they have newer equipment available for you.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes it's as fast as my PC, and sometimes way lower. It's fast most of the time, though. Seems random. Downloading from steam is consistently pretty fast and smooth.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I get about 600-700mbps wireless over 5Ghz on my Pro. It's ways been double to triple my Xbox speed

Acridmonious

Oct 31, 2017
Make sure you close apps that use internet including the store app. The PlayStation will throttle download speeds in certain cases.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
When I did have a PS4, I used PSX Download Helper to download stuff on my PC with a download manager and transfer them to console later. That meant I had full download speed and scheduling. Made life much easier.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I've come to despise using my PS4 Pro after using my Switch so much, everything takes ages and is a total mess of a UI. Yeh the Switch is barebones but I'm playing a game 5 seconds after picking up a controller. PS4 might as well go put the kettle on first.

Anyway I have no advice for you, only to add that my PS4 is kind of the opposite problem whereby it totally hogs every available drop of bandwidth when its downloading. Want to navigate around the PS Store once a download has started? Nope sorry. Want to use your laptop thats on the same network to open up Restera? Nope sorry. It literally kills everything else on the network. Don't have this issue with PS3 / Switch / Laptops / Mobiles - yeh I'm sure I could alter some router settings and fix it but its joke its an issue in the first place. Once I'm done with my backlog I'm going to be severely tempted to get a One X to replace it

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
PS4 has no speed issues, this was a factor years ago for me but has not been an issue any longer. They fixed whatever the problem was, maybe it varies by location. Xbox is a lot slower for some reason now.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 has no speed issues, this was a factor years ago for me but has not been an issue any longer. They fixed whatever the problem was, maybe it varies by location. Xbox is a lot slower for some reason now.
There are definitely speed issues, you and I both just happen to be lucky that our speeds are good.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Used to be bad for me. Switched to ethernet/wired. Totally fine now. Don't know what it's like now on wi-fi.

Is wired an option, OP?

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
So after about 3 1/2 months of not having my PS4 with me I was excited and ready to fire it up.

Until I remembered the dreaded download speed.

I've done everything I could (I think). I went to Settings, Rest Mode features, enabled stuff to be downloading during rest mode. I'll close all applications. I'll pause and unpause the download. I'll put the system on Rest Mode. I'll come back like 2-3 hours later, and it didn't fucking download anything.

And when I have it download while my PS4 is on, it's ridiculously slow. 73 hours for 21 GB. Beforehand, it used to be pretty bad, but at least I would be able to download gigantic files with Rest Mode in like 4-5 hours. Now I'm not sure what to do?
Wired or WiFi?
Hard-wired is the only way.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm used to waiting day(s) for things to download. It sucks, and drives me to drink and depression, but I can't change it.

I feel your pain OP.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
For me personally, once I figured out the "Close Application" trick it greatly helped my download speeds, sucks though because you can't have a game running + have fast download. :/

Also, the jittery Store solved itself once we upgraded to 1Gbps fiber. Pretty much smooth as silk now.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
With Steam, it has my fastest download speed. It was the same with PS3. I really don't know what you're all talking about.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
How is that any different than on PS4?

Booting up and getting into a game on my PS4 Pro is always a way lengthier process than doing the same thing on Switch? So its not the same....!

I don't leave it in "rest mode" because its uses more energy sitting there doing nothing than the Switch does when playing a game

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Booting up and getting into a game on my PS4 Pro is always a way lengthier process than doing the same thing on Switch? So its not the same....!

I don't leave it in "rest mode" because its uses more energy sitting there doing nothing than the Switch does when playing a game
Ahh, I get ya. I thought you were just talking about straight from the loaded UI.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Op sounds like your ps4 has problems, or your connection check your router, and your connection. I can download red dead redemption 2 in like two hours and that game is like 100GB.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Hard wire your PS4 to your router and switch the PS4 to Lan. If that doesn't fix it, it's most likely the CDN like people have said.
Whenever I've spoken to anyone with this issue, it's almost always due to the PS4 not having great wifi signal.
Seriously, try it.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I never used hard wired. Maybe that's the issue. Hopefully Sony fixes their wifi download speeds on the ps5. It's brutal on the ps4