• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm replaying RE2 in anticipation of RE3, exploring and taking in the environment more than usual since it's been awhile since my last full playthrough, and I couldn't help but notice this place behind RPD.
4yCMEmu.jpg
That's right: It's a restaurant... called RESTAURANT. The devs, for whatever reason, didn't bother coming up with an actual name for the place. It's especially weird when you consider that, not far from "Restaurant", there's a place called Mikhail's Pierogies, which is at least a cool reference to an RE3 character, plus something that sounds like it could be a real business.

Here's two more examples, both from Yakuza 0:
A coffee shop called Coffee Shop? A popcorn shop called... Popcorn Shop? Come on, man. The least they could do is make up some decent sounding fictional names, because this is some barebones worldbuilding right here (if you can even call it worldbuilding).

Would anyone here eat at a restaurant called Restaurant? Be honest. Me personally, I'd at least like to know what type of food they serve, because "Restaurant" just tells me nothing at all except that they do indeed serve food.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it is worldbuilding. Maybe being really boring is part of the local culture. Did you ever think of that, OP?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I've legitimately seen a few places in real life that were just called "Restaurant", especially in small towns.

Jan 21, 2019
So I'm replaying RE2 in anticipation of RE3, exploring and taking in the environment more than usual since it's been awhile since my last full playthrough, and I couldn't help but notice this place behind RPD.

That's right: It's a restaurant... called RESTAURANT. The devs, for whatever reason, didn't bother coming up with an actual name for the place. It's especially weird when you consider that, not far from "Restaurant", there's a place called Mikhail's Pierogies, which is at least a cool reference to an RE3 character, plus something that sounds like it could be a real business.

A coffee shop called Coffee Shop? A popcorn shop called... Popcorn Shop? Come on, man. The least they could do is make up some decent sounding fictional names, because this is some barebones worldbuilding right here (if you can even call it worldbuilding).

Would anyone here eat at a restaurant called Restaurant? Be honest. Me personally, I'd at least like to know what type of food they serve, because "Restaurant" just tells me nothing at all except that they do indeed serve food.

In a Japanese setting like Yakuza, I don't think it's too crazy to assume that these shops are called just that.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it is worldbuilding. Maybe being really boring is part of the local culture. Did you ever think of that, OP?
I guess "GUN SHOP KENDO" is also sort of a dull name. At least the owner has his name in there, though. It's not just "GUN SHOP".
I've legitimately seen a few places in real life that were just called "Restaurant", especially in small towns.
They need to get a real name!
Doom eternal caught my attention with a store in level 2:
waddaya buying
That's actually a great reference! I love it when looking at the environment for stuff like that pays off.

Jul 24, 2018

With regards to Yakuza, I'd say the names are accurate as a lot of shops in Tokyo have very boring, broken, English typed names.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
There's a dentist building in my area just named "DENTIST", so I don't think I can be shocked at any generically named place.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
What's amusing is that we're talking about them, while a creatively named shop would get no thread or recognition.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
There's a pub not too far from me actually named "Local Public Eatery."

I could believe in a restaurant named Restaurant.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017

The Yakuza sample is more of an outlier just because even in your screenshot, it's surrounded by other storefronts with (assuming) more creative names. The fact that that store's name is in English makes it stand out more, which is probably the mindset a local business owner would have in naming it.

And to be honest, sometimes, it does feel more real to see a few boring, uncreative businesses thrown into the mix. If they're ALL like "restaurant" or "grocery store" it'd be boring, but seeing a store called "Popcorn Shop" in the middle of all these other Japanese businesses does make you stop and think about what the story behind it can be.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I remember a really sketchy computer repair shop nearby that all my friends and I assumed was some sort of front. Some Russian people ran it.

It was just called, "Computer."

Jan 21, 2019
Yeah, especially since it's in English. I wonder if naming convention is similar if it's just written in Japanese? I do feel like most places have descriptive names there, though.
Well on pop corn shop it says ice cream in Japanese. And considering Yakuza is set in a district with a lot of tourism, having these generic names makes a lot of sense since most tourists can't read kanji or the kana.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
We have a warehouse that sells carpet and the name on their building is Warehouse Carpet.

lamalande

Feb 9, 2019
And in the opposite, you have Frontier games and the amazing Planet Coaster with its customed brands which got their own mascots and all...

aa68dw67kpwx.png

CwmallYWEAQNSzM.jpg

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
What was the 80s or early 90s movie that had every product had "product" written on it? Or maybe it's just a reference to the No-Brand brand.

lamalande

Feb 9, 2019
Man lamalande, now that's what I'm talking about. I love that Foxy Coffee brand and mascot especially.

In fact, this one was created by a fan during a contest and reworked after by Frontier devs.
But yeah, the attention to details put by Frontiers made me think they're one of the top-tier dev team on the world right now.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
We always used to laugh at this in Seinfeld...

Tom%27s_Restaurant%2C_NYC.jpg

...I know it's Tom's/Monk's, but the generic 'Restaurant' just seemed perfect to us in a show about nothing.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
There is a Chinese restaurant down the street from my apartment that literally only has a sign saying restaurant on it. We didn't know what kind of food it was until we went in.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
This is not uncommon OP.
There is a Chinese restaurant down the street from my apartment that literally only has a sign saying restaurant on it. We didn't know what kind of food it was until we went in.
I wouldn't be surprised if its just because the space came with the sign already, and it's expensive to make and install a custom sign.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
I 100% agree OP, it's very very frustrating and doesn't help with my immersion. I get a lot of people's examples saying "oh yeah this place in my town has a super generic sign with no real name" but I would bet every single one of those examples has an actual name but the company didn't splurge and get a custom sign - especially in a small town with only one Chinese restaurant.

Most of these "coffee shop" examples in games could be sidestepped with calling them "The Coffee Shop" or "The Coffee Place" or just adding a generic area-appropriate name to the front and get "Joe's Coffee Shop" and the like. Are they interesting names? No. But it's an easy solution to a nearly irrelevant issue.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Okay, but how do you feel about REAL businesses being inside games?

Need for Speed Underground 2:
nfsu_bestbuy.jpg

Burnout Revenge:
ingameadvertising.jpg

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I appreciate the sign in kendo's gun shop saying ballistics. That's all I've got to say about that.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
You just have to put that disclaimer that's on a lot of books and stuff that it's all ficitious and any similarities to persons or business real or fictious are purely coincidental.