Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
The Wii U Premium deal for the first 2 years or so was better. $7 AUD for every $70 spent, with those $7 counting towards the next $70.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Didn't know they expired, but I end up buying enough games digital on switch each that I usually end up with 2-3 free games a year.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
it's pretty hard to complain, it's just getting money back for buying a game I was gonna buy anyway. I'm totally down with that.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
- I don't buy that many of their games each year because they remain so highly priced.
- Redeeming points at retail is time-sensitive.
- The points expire on your account.

It's this combination of factors or "rules" which means I don't personally benefit much.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're nice for what they are but they would be better if they didn't expire, were worth more for physical purchases, and offered more bonuses for preorders, during sales, and NSO subs.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Why am I not surprised that people are complaining about free money?
Your threads premise is that they don't get enough credit for a system that Sony used to do better and Microsoft does immensely better.

If you're just going to complain when people point out the issues with Nintendo's implementation (especially compared to Club Nintendo) you should really take a step back and consider why you made a thread inviting discussion.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It's really hard to complain about free money. Over the course of a few months I've often had enough for a cheap game, DLC or just use it as a small discount, it's nice.
It's not free, you have to buy content for it to apply and the goal would be people will spend more over time than they would have because of the points, it's a marketing gimmick to entice people to spend more.

Free money would be not having to do anything and Nintendo just depositing money in your wallet. Nintendo isn't a charity.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
It's not free, you have to buy content for it to apply and the goal would be people will spend more over time than they would have because of the points, it's a marketing gimmick to entice people to spend more.

Free money would be not having to do anything and Nintendo just depositing money in your wallet. Nintendo isn't a charity.
I think you know what they mean though. You get money for doing something you were gonna do anyway. It saves me money, not makes me spend more.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Maybe for some people that's true, but I never bought a game I wasn't going to buy on Switch because I'd get gold points. Considering I wouldn't get anything in other stores for spending the same amount of money, I'd say it's fair to consider it free, same as the Steam trading cards.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
It's nice, adds a little more to physical purchases, which are already the better value. I always check used games when I get them for gold coins, and have got a bunch that way.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I miss the digital deluxe program…..but I also regret my digital purchases from the Wii U era

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
They're great, and combined with the voucher system means that (if you don't live in NA) you can get a decent price on digital games.

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
Not only do the Points expire, but the only "guarantee" of even getting points is through digital purchases.

If your physical copy of a game is older than 1 year, then you can't even redeem points on it. Doesn't matter if New or used.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Think I'd prefer actual sales - that would actually be money in my pocket.
They do have sales on their digital games usually 2-3 times a year for 20%-30% off, and that's not counting when retails stores do their own sales independent of Nintendo. Heck if you're lucky you can get a digital code on sale from a store like gamestop that is cheaper then it cost on the eshop and get full gold coins for it. You really only get screwed if you're buying a physical Nintendo game at full price a year+ after it came out.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Not only do the Points expire, but the only "guarantee" of even getting points is through digital purchases.

If your physical copy of a game is older than 1 year, then you can't even redeem points on it. Doesn't matter if New or used.
I have also had some games never get properly set up with the system.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Yeah they don't deserve credit for how many rules had attached to it. Using microsawft rewards I had enough points in roughly two months to redeem 25 bucks worth of cash to use. I may have spent money on my hardware and waiting for gamepass to expire, but I have the choice to use rewards for bigger sums of cash or straight up extend my subscription for free.

Nintendo doesn't compare. Points expire lol. The free points are usually for silver coins, which obvs can't be used in the eshop.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA

Yeah, I bought Disgaea 4 Complete physically from the NIS store, tried to redeem the gold points but I got a error message saying the points had expired.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People getting angry over a 5% cash back scheme is always funny.

The entitlement level of video game enthusiasts is unparalleled.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Better than nothing for sure! Microsoft does it the best though with it's rewards, but of course you have to actually put effort into that. Free money is free money. Sony does nothing in this aspect, do they?

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Because just because something is free doesn't mean it's worthwhile. The Nintendo rewards program is like they've checked a box on services to offer, like most stores and restaurants do. It's so little, has so many caveats and limitations that it's practically worthless. The limitation on the age of the game is absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary, for one.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Better than nothing for sure! Microsoft does it the best though with it's rewards, but of course you have to actually put effort into that. Free money is free money. Sony does nothing in this aspect, do they?

They used to have a playstation/sony rewards program but I believe its changing to only be if you have a sony credit card.

People getting angry over a 5% cash back scheme is always funny.

The entitlement level of video game enthusiasts is unparalleled.

C'mon this is needlessly reductive. Anger is obviously dumb (as it is for most things video game related), but there are plenty reasons to be disappointed about Nintendo's offering compared to the competition, compared to what Nintendo offered before, or when accounting for the fact that digital offers no resale optionality and that Nintendo's games typically go on sale far less frequently.

Especially when the OP is framed as Nintendo not getting enough credit for what they do. Like fuck, they kinda get credit in line with the amount of credit they give you, which is to say precisely enough and not much respectively.

Last edited:

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Switch games are consistently more expensive than equivalent games on other platforms, and the gold points in no way make up the difference. Getting a very slight rebate on your Switch Tax if you buy something else within a pretty short timeframe is not quite the slam-dunk for consumers that you might think.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, their game prices suck and never go on sale. So getting 60 cents back on a physical purchase or $3 back on a digital purchase honestly really doesn't deserve a whole lot of credit, tbh.

I will say, it WAS nice during the Black Friday sales to buy some of those Switch digital games from GameStop for $27.99 and still get the full $3 back in eShop coins. That felt like a pretty good deal.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's peanuts, but hey, better than nothing! Makes the biggest difference on smaller indies on sale.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I bought Hades and Hollow Knight with them so it's a great system. Kinda sucks that digital purchases on their 1st party titles give you more points than pshysical tho.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe for some people that's true, but I never bought a game I wasn't going to buy on Switch because I'd get gold points. Considering I wouldn't get anything in other stores for spending the same amount of money, I'd say it's fair to consider it free, same as the Steam trading cards.

Except MS often has events where you get points if you buy from the digital store. Couple that with all of the free MS points already available and the Nintendo offering gets the proper amount of credit which is minimal.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
No, considering I'd save that money if a lot of titles on Switch had decent sales. Plus, like moeman said, this summer I bought Mario Odyssey but I couldn't retrieve any points.

They're small consolation prizes honestly. It's better if they exist obviously, but I must say I wouldn't really notice if they stopped giving them

Yup. Its nicer than nothing. But their games are often more expensive that buying them elsewhere or used saves you much money

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you daddy Nintendo for your small pittance on games that tend to be full price until the universe's heat death

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Except MS often has events where you get points if you buy from the digital store. Couple that with all of the free MS points already available and the Nintendo offering gets the proper amount of credit which is minimal.
I was mainly talking about the PS Store / Steam, never buy anything from the MS Store so wouldn't know. Not really sure how that's supposed to change anything though.

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
Not to be an echo factory but I'd much rather actual first party sales than these coins. They don't "deserve more credit" cause it's a band-aid to the cut that never heals which is piddly discounts on their own games. 5% back is pretty good in the grand scheme of rewards programs but still.

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. You even get the full value if you buy a code from outside the eShop like at a retailer. Where as the eShop will give you 5% of what you pay (so if it's on sale you get less coins).

It's not much, but it adds up and I'm sure grateful it even exists.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Good there's something, but given pricing of their first party games over time, it feels pretty inconsequential in terms of a rewards program.

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
I was mainly talking about the PS Store / Steam, never buy anything from the MS Store so wouldn't know. Not really sure how that's supposed to change anything though.

In the case of steam they will let your refund games within 2 hours of playtime and most games on the service go on deep sales up to 90% off, including valve's own games.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I think I did make a thread before about it and being happily surprised by how it worked. I'm mostly physical, but those points you get still count. I didn't know they expired though, gonna check my balance rn.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Lotta shit talkin' but you're right OP. I forget about them adding up, but there have been multiple times I've either been able to unexpectedly knock 4-6 bucks off a new game I'm buying, or else get a game for free if I'm picking up an indie on sale.

As someone who goes 95% digital, it's been awesome for me.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
It's better than nothing!

But as a physical buyer the savings are way less, and the fact that you can't claim after just 1 year from release is shit.

I'm sure digital is better but I'm not about that life.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
If you are buying a lot, especially soon after they come out then it is a sensible way to keep the user invested in the ecosystem I suppose. Would strongly prefer proper sales though.

I cannot afford games regularly, certainly not near launch so this system is almost entirely worthless to me. I did get a lot of use out of Club Nintendo rewards though. The majority of the rewards you could get were a bit gimmicky but most were well made and it kept me really satisfied with the Nintendo 3DS in particular. I especially loved those multi cartridge boxes!

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
I like it a lot, my main two issues with it are points having an expiration date and retail copies get barely anything. I mainly switch over to digital now, so that sorta solves one issue. Even with the expiration date I usually hit $40 of points, so that takes a huge chunk off a full price day one game or all of my dlc/ stupid online is free for the year.

Not as good as the Wii U program, but they were trying to get anyone to buy anything. lol

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather get real discounts with frequency than get these 10% cashbacks. Terrible trade off.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
The great thing about it is Nintendo actually lets retailers sell codes, so when GameStop sells Xenoblade for $26 you can still get a full $3 back. I love it.