ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, for as backwards as Nintendo is about pretty much everything, the ability to gain money from every purchase, to then later use for future purchases is pretty darn awesome, and I don't think they get enough credit for it.

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
Hard disagree. Getting 1% on physical game purchases is laughable and barely worth the effort. In addition, if you buy new games that are older, you don't even get that. I got an error code for my Kirby star Allies copy I bought new saying the redemption was "expired".

The gold points system is their way of curbing used sales and the disparity in physical vs digital makes that clear. The 5% you get from Nintendo purchases doesn't justify that Nintendo games are often more expensive even with discounts. Club Nintendo had far better prizes.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who is mostly digital on Switch it's been great and resulted in getting a lot of indie games on sale for very cheap.
Hard disagree. Getting 1% on physical game purchases is laughable and barely worth the effort. In addition, if you buy new games that are older, you don't even get that. I got an error code for my Kirby star Allies copy I bought new saying the redemption was "expired".

The gold points system is their way of curbing used sales and the disparity in physical vs digital makes that clear. The 5% you get from Nintendo purchases doesn't justify that Nintendo games are often more expensive even with discounts. Club Nintendo had far better prizes.
Worth the effort ? You don't have to do anything lol.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be more inclined to agree if the points didnt expire.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I basically got every Mii costume DLC pack for Smash Bros for free from this

they were points I'd earned on games I just naturally bought anyway, so the costumes were essentially free

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is mostly digital on Switch it's been great and resulted in getting a lot of indie games on sale for very cheap.

Worth the effort ? You don't have to do anything lol.

Fair enough. I feel like it's a pretty raw deal for anyone who buys physical but I will still buy physical for resale value.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
It's nice to get a bit more back from digital games since I'm paying more on average for them

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have normally depreciating prices on games than pennies to the dollar discounts tbh.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
No, considering I'd save that money if a lot of titles on Switch had decent sales. Plus, like moeman said, this summer I bought Mario Odyssey but I couldn't retrieve any points.

They're small consolation prizes honestly. It's better if they exist obviously, but I must say I wouldn't really notice if they stopped giving them

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno how it comes to other storefronts, but I get a bunch of stuff on sale at Dekudeals and then get a bunch of other stuff which is also on sale for free, so I can't complain. Don't own any physical game on Switch whatsoever.

Oct 26, 2017
In addition to expiry, you get particuarly shafted on retail games too. Regardless of the fact that you can only register a game once to your account, the registration of the individual cart is unique too, That means no second-hand registrations (Unless the original owner didn't do it in the first place) which is fair enough, but you only get 1% of the retail value for a physical cart rather than the 5% you get for digital.

As a European, I say "Bring back the Stars Cattalogue!"

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even the best of the console manufacturers. Xbox Rewards is 10x as good. I earn hundreds of dollars a year doing essentially nothing.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Oh Jesus people are already complaining about it.

klauskpm

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Eh. The ability to earn back pennies that expire isn't something I think is praisable. It is a nice bonus if you buy enough games and make that become a good discount for a single game. Yet, I prefer they wouldn't be so backwards on doing discounts to the point that that is a solution people think is praisable.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What you actually get back though is pretty fucking terrible. Especially for physical. It's better than nothing I guess but not sure that's worth any praise.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
I keep forgetting to use them. I really should do more often. I pretty much only buy indie games digitally so they're pretty good for that.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I've gotten a bunch of discounts and even free games because of the points, so yeah, I'm a fan. It would be better if they didn't expire, but just because something isn't perfect, it doesn't mean it's not good. Saying it doesn't matter because prices don't drop a lot doesn't make sense, there are loads of games with big discounts all the time, only first party games don't get big price drops.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It's better than nothing but I'm not sure it really deserves any praise either. The arbitrary expiration dates and stipulations like not being able to earn gold points on physical games that are a year old makes the whole thing kind of whatever. I guess if you're stacking them up over a year and spend them before it expires then it's a nice bonus, but ultimately you get such a small return on gold points compared to what you paid that it just ends up being free tax (or just a portion of it) on purchases here and there and not much else. Xbox has a much better rewards system.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
So out of curiosity, I checked my nintnedo account and saw that a handful of points will expire at the end of January, so I went and used them all to buy some gem things in Pokemon Unite. No plans to buy any other Switch games.

Honestly, it sounds like anybody who likes the Nintendo points hasn't tried any other storefront.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
It's awful compared to club nintendo which was what it had to live up to.

It's the bare minimum as far as reward programs go. Like 1% back is less than a lot of credit cards ffs.

The only time its decent is for the digital purchases, but even then it's not great and is small compensation for losing resale optionality.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
ations like not being able to earn gold points on physical games that are a year old makes the whole thing kind of whatever. I guess if you're stacking them up long-term then it's a nice bonus, but ultimately you get such a small return on gold points compared to what you paid that it just ends up being free tax on purchases here and there and not much else. Xbox has a much better rewards system.
The time limit makes sense since some physical games are heavily discounted or on clearance so the exchange rate would be whack without it.

One of the things with the old ClubNintendo points system is people who hoarde shitty games for $1 or the Ds or something and get the same amount of points as someone buying a new release , collect those points, buy out the merch on the store then flip it on eBay.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Yeah I love it. Sony doesn't do anything - at least Microsoft have their rewards program if you're proactive

FinalRPG

Oct 27, 2017
It's too little to really matter. I'd rather they put older 1st party games on sale occasionally

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's too little to really matter. I'd rather they put older 1st party games on sale occasionally
i barely but anything and have $10 saved up in 12 months, that's from buying a few physical games and cashing in the free points, and most of the points came form a few full priced digital games.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Considering I can't trade in my digital games, I am at least getting something for purchasing said digital games. Physical games offer two for one, in the sense that I can claim 1% of the purchase value in gold coins while also being able to trade it back/sell in the future. Not really sure why people would complain about the physical side when you can at least trade it and get some money back.
Why do people talk like Nintendo has never put a sale on ever? Certainly they keep the first party hostage to high prices, but I've also seen plenty of their first party games discounted during sales time.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It's really hard to complain about free money. Over the course of a few months I've often had enough for a cheap game, DLC or just use it as a small discount, it's nice.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard the Xbox rewards program is so lucrative that people are using it to easily cover their Game Pass subs every month.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
What do you mean? It gets about 300 Gold Coins of credit :)

yeah nah, I like the system as someone who buys digital often enough. I got Doom '93 and all the Mii Costumes in Smash with gold coins.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Prices going down over time isn't limited to shitshow launch games.

To cherrypick, compare the price of BotW and HZD on their respective stores.
no, but it's highly correlated and if you buy physical you can resell them at near full price. And mind you, the minimal (33%) discounting generally applies to their 1P releases only.

3rd party stuff get the shitshow discount all the time and since gold points sytem applies to every game, if you buy a shitshow game for full price you at least get something out of it. lol.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
I've heard the Xbox rewards program is so lucrative that people are using it to easily cover their Game Pass subs every month.
Requires a bit of effort but yeah you can get some insane rewards with the MS program.

They have the best rewards program. Nintendo slots in second easily since Sony doesn't have one. I didn't realise my points expired on Switch. Probably lost heaps as a result.

Simone

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I honestly only find them useful when I add the discount on top of a sale, I got Okami for 5 Euros some months ago.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
I have no complaints either considering Gold Points were originally used only on My Nintendo to redeem coupons for 3DS/Wii U games even during the Switch's first year. They were worthless in that aspect.

Microsoft Rewards however can't be topped.

Last edited:

FinalRPG

Oct 27, 2017
i barely but anything and have $10 saved up in 12 months, that's from buying a few physical games and cashing in the free points, and most of the points came form a few full priced digital games.

That's less than a single $60 game being on sale for $40

Why do people talk like Nintendo has never put a sale on ever? Certainly they keep the first party hostage to high prices, but I've also seen plenty of their first party games discounted during sales time.

Because the 1st party sales are very infrequent and rarely substantial. There are a bunch of Nintendo games I'd be interested in for $20-30 but they just never hit those prices so years later I still haven't bought them

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
Better than Sony Rewards, especially in light of the upcoming changes.

But yeah, Microsoft is obviously the best. Microsoft Rewards and the ability to get free Gamepass was one of the reasons I got a One S. Now I'm a loyal Microsoft user.