Jan 20, 2023
wondering where camgirl sex workers fall on your "parasocial scam" scale, seeing as they will very often accept tips purely on a parasocial basis, not even transactional like this apparently is.

and for far larger values too.

are they scamming people too? naaaaaaah didn't think so.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.webp

This sequence of posts was beautiful.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Who cares? Not hurting anyone, they're having fun, the viewers are having fun, ain't no different than you watching your Pokémon, Oppenheimer, Breaking Bad, K3 or Ladybird.

Honestly, if someone is paying for some thing and it's entertaining them, and they have no qualms about and they're still paying bills, then why not?

I honestly find this less offensive been gambling.

It's just really fucking weird, as a Gen X person.

This sequence of posts was beautiful.

It honestly had made my day.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This has been fascinating me for at least a month now. There's a lot of angles you can go about with dissecting it but it starts with the uncanny valley effect for me. It's kind of disturbing and highly compelling at the same time.

View: https://twitter.com/SkinnyTuna/status/1671538647349309441

Like, to me there's kind of a vague horror aspect in this one (someone else said it feels like puppeteering a corpse), but also the dexterity is impressive.

LOL this is crazy because you can pinpoint the exact 2D skeleton based animation style they're emulating. They're doing great job of it too.

I think making clips like these is really cool. It only becomes freaky when you imagine them doing it for hours on end with an audience watching attentively the whole time.

Oct 27, 2017
wondering where camgirl sex workers fall on your "parasocial scam" scale, seeing as they will very often accept tips purely on a parasocial basis, not even transactional like this apparently is.

and for far larger values too.

are they scamming people too? naaaaaaah didn't think so.

Camgirls are catering towards 18+ audiences.

These NPC steams on tiktok presumably have a relatively younger audience. Which is where I'd think there'd be gray areas.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I overheard some school kids a couple of month ago calling some of their classmates NPCs. Apart from the mean spiritness of course I thought that was genious

My niece studied in Toronto this last school year and according to her NPC was a super common insult.

Funny thing is she couldn't really define it because she's not a gamer.

I find the insult pretty disturbing tbh, like in a dehumanizing kind of way.

Regarding the Tik Tok videos kids have always liked to watch stupid shit, so nothing new.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I thought this was about people taking pictures of their shoes in public. But this shit is extraterrestrial.

But can anyone explain the pictures of shoes and shins that they then share on social media or text? Saw it at the theater and multiple times at a soccer game in the rows in front of me.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm more amazed how these particular streamers can keep up this act without cracking up, because I'd be laughing 30 seconds in trying to do this weird stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes....making fun. It's all an elaborate joke...

I wonder if the people spending money are aware of this joke.
I like how everyone's clutching pearls when the conversion rate for 90% of the sent emojis are literal pennies and cents. People all over are dropping cash every second of the day on indulgences like sugar, alcohol and tobacco which are literal poisons for the body, but someone spends a infinitesimal amount on the harmless activity of watching someone react to an emoji and we need to stop the world, I wanna get off. Sprinkle in some parasocial something something and we have an Era member starter kit.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Omg these are so bizarre, but also somehow incredibly fascinating??
That elf girl one especially is almost hypnotic, I've watched it like three times now help jfk;asfd

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
What did I just watch. What is this shit, why do people watch this. What's wrong with this world, I don't know anymore.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
These videos make me want to write letters to the members of congress pleading them to ban tiktok.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Funny and also unprecedented cringe levels. Very impressive. I wonder what's next.

Last edited:

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Commentary Around Ableist Rhetoric
Let me rephrase then.

You shouldn't be calling anyone smooth brained. That's fucked.
Nah calling people dumb is fine. It's just a more fun way of saying dumb imo.

This TikTok shit seems weird to me but what do I know. Probably not hurting anybody

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
Nah calling people dumb is fine. It's just a more fun way of saying dumb imo.

This TikTok shit seems weird to me but what do I know. Probably not hurting anybody
"No, actually. I'm double downing on my ignorance and choosing to continue to use words that are hateful toward the disadvantaged."

I just realized that was a 4 day old post too. You really went back that far to pick that one post out to take a stand for. That's pathetic.

Last edited:

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
TikTok is where I crossed the line into old man who is baffled by the younger generations.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Similar responses to vtuber threads in this thread. This time I'm on the "wtf" side, but I'm not judging.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
"No, actually. I'm double downing on my ignorance and choosing to continue to use words that are hateful toward the disadvantaged."

I just realized that was a 4 day old post too. You really went back that far to pick that one post out to take a stand for. That's pathetic.
it's not that deep, I just clicked the thread as it popped up in my feed. I'll try to be more online in the future 🫡