• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
its gotten to the point where it actually puts me off the game. so many talented people out there and we are constantly subjected to these.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately it seem some publishers or casting people think these people help sell games like big budget actors in movies. I don't think I ever got a game because a certain voice actor played a part in it. I didn't even get MGS5, and Kiefer Sutherland was in it.

Nov 1, 2017
I totally get this complaint, but the only actor of the three whose voice I can sometimes find "annoying" is Nolan North's because he just sounds like Drake at times. (And even that's a little unfair - I'd played The Last of Us twice before I knew North played David)

Troy Baker tends to mix his voice up enough that he doesn't bother me. Joel in The Last of Us and Booker in BioShock Infinite sound nothing alike to me, and his Ocelot felt like a nice middle point between Josh Keaton and Patric Zimmerman.

To this day I don't know what Laura Bailey looks like and I've never encountered "samey voice" issues with anyone she's played.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I can't tell Baker and North are voicing sometimes because they have such a range you can't tell it's them.

NazzyQ

Apr 6, 2018
For me, I have no concerns about their range. They're all very talented and can do a range of accents and inflections. I do agree though it would be nice to have some new blood, especially POC.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Tbh I really enjoy being shocked when I dont know its them. Nolan did david and penguin that was pure shocking. When I notice him as an npc my eyes roll.

I would add Jennifer Hale to that list. She has one voice and fits with the rest.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Ben Diskin explains why you hear so many of the same voice actors in animated media.

PvO8UTC.jpg

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I totally get this complaint, but the only actor of the three whose voice I can sometimes find "annoying" is Nolan North's because he just sounds like Drake at times. (And even that's a little unfair - I'd played The Last of Us twice before I knew North played David)

Troy Baker tends to mix his voice up enough that he doesn't bother me. Joel in The Last of Us and Booker in BioShock Infinite sound nothing alike to me, and his Ocelot felt like a nice middle point between Josh Keaton and Patric Zimmerman.

To this day I don't know what Laura Bailey looks like and I've never encountered "samey voice" issues with anyone she's played.
I kind of feel the opposite. Besides his Joel role, I feel like you can tell who Baker plays all the time.
I don't mind them too much though, they're still really good actors.

I am tired of Johnny YB though, definitely lacks range. After years of listening to him, mostly in anime with the occasional game, I'm just done. It's almost distracting when I hear him play a role.

Dormammu

Banned
May 20, 2020
Most gamers out there (not us here) do not own or have not played all those games. That's a lot of titles and money and having all of those is not common.
Many of those gamers probably don't pay attention to VO names and won't know it's the same people.
Plus these people are very talented and are getting paid for their work. I don't really see the problem.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I never really notice them. I get so immersed into the story and characters, I'm not sure I've ever out right recognized a voice actor besides a few that are above and beyond gaming. Such as Keith David, for example. And I never get tired of hearing his voice and it's usually more distracting when some one besides him does a voice he's famous for...like the Arbiter in Killer Instinct.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
Ben Diskin explains why you hear so many of the same voice actors in animated media.

PvO8UTC.jpg
This is the unfortunate but undeniable truth that applies not only to VO but work in general. If you deal with a huge project that have a very stick deadline or project's nature can change at any time you want to have a stable and flexible person, its a rare find which is why you get him/her/them over and over because with each time they prove themselves stable and easier to work on communication level. I would not be surprised if studios will hire same VO at a cost of higher pay just because they pay for quality. And again thats a problem which applies not only to VO.

There is a youtube that does review and indepth analysis of Voice Acting called CdawgVA. He recorded a project where he made an online casting and directing for a Yaoi Manga VO its obviously not AAA game or famous anime DUB but a glimpse of how actually hard the process is.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I dont mind them at all. Probably more an issue of voice directors just having them play themselves

I did smirk when Nolan introduced himself as the voice of your ghost in Destiny in one of todays game streams though. #DINKLEBOT4LIFE

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why this thread randomly popped up again, but I figure that this is as good a place as any to ask this...

Are Nolan North and Troy Baker beefing right now? I got this impression by random comments I've heard some stuff indicating that they might be and I have no idea if it's just trolling or not. I know they stopped doing their youtube show together, but I assumed that's because of COVID.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Liam O'Brien

Liam I love you but I cant deal with you doing every character as Illidan anymore.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Are Nolan North and Troy Baker beefing right now? I got this impression by random comments I've heard some stuff indicating that they might be and I have no idea if it's just trolling or not. I know they stopped doing their youtube show together, but I assumed that's because of COVID.

They had a falling out. I don't think it has been announced over what though.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
They had a falling out. I don't think it has been announced over what though.

Creative differences. Troy put up a video explaining essentially that he just didn't want to do a structured "YouTube" show like that with the fluff and marketing and whatever. It came across a little pretentious to me (Troy's eccentric in that way) but at the same time I definitely understand why he would rather do his own thing free of structure.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Human performances in games have only been around about 25 years, give or take. If you look at Hollywood in the 40s and 50s, you will see the same thing you see with VG voice actors today. Give the medium some time to mature and develop some talent.
It's at least 30 now. Voice acting was common on the PC engine.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Creative differences. Troy put up a video explaining essentially that he just didn't want to do a structured "YouTube" show like that with the fluff and marketing and whatever. It came across a little pretentious to me (Troy's eccentric in that way) but at the same time I definitely understand why he would rather do his own thing free of structure.

Ah OK. It is strange though as he seemed to still be enjoying the show, judging by the last few episodes. I do remember an old episode where they had a pretty major falling out on camera (I think it was the modern warfare one?) and I can imagine both of them being spiky when it comes to an argument. It is a shame if their friendship has suffered though.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I mean, they're talented voice actors, with a shit ton of experience in motion capture at this point, so it's no surprise that they're going to get hired to voice a lot of characters in games. I also wouldn't put all the blame on them for "using their regular voices," when that's almost entirely up to the person in charge of voice direction. A lot of the time, Troy and Nolan are just told to "do the voice" because it worked for whatever character made them so popular in the first place, and considering that they're being paid to do a job, they "do the voice."

Is it problematic that they get offered a ton of roles? I don't think so. They're fortunate enough to be given that opportunity. If anything, I'd wish the industry would cast their nets larger and find a deeper, more diverse talent pool to bring these characters to life, but I'm not going to lay that at the hands of Troy or Nolan or Laura.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Damn I really enjoyed them together in Retro Replay :(

At least we still have Uncle Noly

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I find their prevalence sort of baffling. They can't be cheap to get, right? And it's not like a voice actor's name is going to sell copies of a game. Sure, they're absolutely great at their jobs, but I'm always confused why games, especially smaller games with smaller budgets, wouldn't try getting someone cheaper/less instantly identifiable instead. It would be better for the game (probably cheaper and it would help the game not fall into the sea of other games starring the same handful of people) and better for smaller voice actors who have trouble getting roles.

VO directors know them, directors are used to working with them, so they hire them. Simple as that. Sad but simple.

Jan 11, 2018
North sounds like he's totally phoning it in as Iron Man tbh. I'm sick of hearing them too, especially Troy. It's to the point where it's immersion breaking for me. NN was PHENOMINAL as David in TLOU though, I'll give him that, and I couldn't imagine anyone but him as Drake. They're all great of course, but it's just overkill.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I've been playing through the Master Chief Collection after that small Halo Infinite teaser, and started Halo 3 tonight. My god, Nolan North is fucking everywhere in this game. Super distracting.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
North sounds like he's totally phoning it in as Iron Man tbh. I'm sick of hearing them too, especially Troy. It's to the point where it's immersion breaking for me. NN was PHENOMINAL as David in TLOU though, I'll give him that, and I couldn't imagine anyone but him as Drake. They're all great of course, but it's just overkill.
To be fair, in some ways, Square Enix feels like they're phoning it in with Avengers.

That said, I think the reason why these actors get so many roles, aside from name value, is the same reason why actors like Tom Cruise are hired. They're really good at what they do. They're effective, time efficient, and are able to learn and perform lines and actions quickly. When you hire Troy, Laura, Nolan, etc., you're ensuring that you won't have to repeat a bunch of takes. You're guaranteed a strong performance

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Well Troy Bakers recent actions have annoyed me to the point where I'm good on hearing him on anymore games. There is a lot of starving voice artist our there. Let them get some work.

My favorite voice actor remains Lance Reddick. He is always popping up where you least expect him and immediately makes games good. Like when his voice popped up in Horizon Zero Dawn right when I was getting bored with the game. Made me push on.

Lance-Reddick-Goddamn-right.gif

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
This is how I feel about Yuri Lowenthal. Fallout: NV is my personal hell

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
I'm curious as to why the voice acting talent pool for video games feels so shallow. Is there a reluctance to work with newer talent? Are casting directors lazy? Is being a good reliable voice actor really, really hard? Is it geography based (not willing to hire any of the anime people from Texas or Canada)? Is it a pricing thing for big roles with a ton of lines, where they don't wanna pay the Hollywood prices for well known actors, but also don't wanna cheap out and get newbie voice actors, so it results in the same handful of people getting cast and re-cast?

Let's be real it's kind of weird that Laura Bailey and Troy Baker headline a game that also has Jeffrey Wright in it as a bit character.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Im surprised neither of them ended up in VII Remake. I'm glad they didn't though...I like the new actors they brought in

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I love all three and they are incredibly talented. That being said, I would love to see more Ray Chase and the whole FFXV cast in more stuff.

Oct 30, 2017
Nolan to my mind still has more "wait, that's him?" roles, so I don't find him quite as jarring. But yeah, overall I agree. It's a huge part of why I dislike that Avengers game.

Troy's Joker is also *chef's kiss*. The more they sound like themselves the more I hate it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
A bonus is I get to play games voiced by Laura, ones with good character customization, as characters from other games. Abby in Saints Row 3 and 4. It's happening!

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm tired of their vanilla voices but I blame the developers for that.

I'm not sure about Laura (Though I loooove her vanilla voice) but Nolan and Troy have RANGE. Let them use it!

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite voice actor remains Lance Reddick. He is always popping up where you least expect him and immediately makes games good. Like when his voice popped up in Horizon Zero Dawn right when I was getting bored with the game. Made me push on.

Lance-Reddick-Goddamn-right.gif
He's seriously the best part of the game, or at least the story. I hated how rude Aloy had to be to him.