• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I keep hearing Troy baker, Travis Willingham, Laura Bailey, Nolan North.

For example Gta, I hear the main characters, I have never recognized them except for Samuel L Jackson. So my disbelief is suspended and on some level I believe these digital characters are their own.

But like Desmond from infamous, and Abby I'm like boom, I'm now hearing the VA playing a character in a video game.

Not say they're bad, they're great but I really appreciate my immersion in the medium.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Troy is way worse, at being noticeable. Dude has like no range compared to Nolan.

What on Earth are you talking about?

nib95 said:
Troy Baker isn't versatile? Have you even seen THIS?!

Joker, Joel, Ocelot, Yuri, Kanji Tatsumi, Sam Drake, Vincent, Pagan Min, Delson Rowe etc. To imply Troy Baker doesn't have range is utterly laughable.

Troy Baker is arguably one of the most talented and accomplished there is in gaming with respect to range and/or differences in performances, characters, accents etc.

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
Of all the people that are recoginzable, i would give these 3 a pass. Alli Hillis, Gideon Emory, and Ashley Johnson have less of range and are easily standoutish when their character speaks.

Kroz

Jul 4, 2019
I sort of agree.
Though as others have mentioned I think its mostly that we are hearing a lot of performances using mostly their normal tone of voice. I think Nolan North once said especially after doing Nathan Drake directors would ask cast him and say 'Do the Uncharted voice' which he plays using his natural tone of voice. These Voice actors have a ridiculous amount of range to their voice but they are usually told to 'just do the troy baker voice' and what not.
That being said I am tired of instantly recognizing Laura Bailey since I think she gets it the worst. Laura Bailey I feel is always the same 2 voices all the time, 'serious tough girl' (black widow, Nadine) or friendly young girl (Serah Farron, Maka from Soul Eater).

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
I'm glad I'm enjoying the Avengers game so far, but it's pretty terrible playing as Iron Man and having to listen to Nolan North doing a Deadpool impersonation. Troy does fine as Banner, but my holy shit Nolan was either given terrible direction for or is being given too much freedom to do what he wants.

And no, I'm not looking for a RDJ impersonator, not the point either. I have issues with lots of the voice actors they chose, but man they really shit the bed with Tony.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Chloe is also a POC character played by a white actress, so it seems like a theme for Naughty Dog.
Uh Chloe wasn't PoC until lost legacy. Until then, she was considered just Australian like her VA. There was a big retcon to her background, but it wouldn't be fair to just boot out her long time VA.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What on Earth are you talking about?
Less that Troy has no range, and more so that directors aren't taking advantage of it outside of a few cases. Like, he was instantly recognizable in God of War vs. Nolan North who had a way more distinct voice during the same scene.

Uh Chloe wasn't PoC until lost legacy. Until then, she was considered just Australian like her VA
Based on several pieces of concept art from UC2 I don't think there was ever a time when Chloe wasn't a POC.

The specifics were never stated but she definitely was meant to be a direct contrast to Elena in every way including physical appearance.

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Less that Troy has no range, and more so that directors aren't taking advantage of it outside of a few cases. Like, he was instantly recognizable in God of War vs. Nolan North who had a way more distinct voice during the same scene.

Based on several pieces of concept art from UC2 I don't think there was ever a time when Chloe wasn't a POC.

The specifics were never stated but she definitely was meant to be a direct contrast to Elena in every way including physical appearance.
It never was specified and she was less tan/darker toned in 2/3. I just don't personally see it problematic in the way Nadine definitely is.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It never was specified and she was less tan/darker toned in 2/3. I just don't personally see it problematic in the way Nadine definitely is.
The art director described her as having "dark, olive skin" when talking about maintaining appearance consistency in UC3. She's definitely problematic, just not as noticeably problematic because Nadine is from a much more recent game and around the time Chloe was created white actors playing PoC was not a spoken about topic anywhere near as often as it is today. She's an example of how far we have to go representation wise since LL expanded heavily on her status as a PoC but again, same actress.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
was Chloe always a PoC? I remember thy never mention it and it's implied she's just kinda tan until lost legacy where she got a huge retcon backstory
Uh Chloe wasn't PoC until lost legacy. Until then, she was considered just Australian like her VA. There was a big retcon to her background, but it wouldn't be fair to just boot out her long time VA.

Her character design hasn't really changed, so to be fair to ND it is hard to tell if it's a retcon or something then knew about the character but didn't put in the text of the games until later.

Feb 6, 2019
Imagine looking at this person and thinking they're caucasian.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I'm never going to tire of Laura Bailey. It's funny that everyone says she has the same voice, because the most iconic role for her for me now is as Jester in Critical Role Season 2 (Russian chaos murder child?). Same with Matt Mercer, whose roles have a distinctive Matt Mercerness, and Travis Willingham. Her generic British (Jaina) or Texas or American (Gears 5, perhaps) is all very competent, but it's the roles where she gets to bring something interesting where she really stands out. I will forever love her as being my canonical, and best, voice for the President in Saints Row The Third. So, so fun.