Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Steve Blum doesn't show up as a main character very often anymore. He does have a very recognizable voice though. For some reason he feels more like a fun cameo than anything else. Like "oh hey, that guard is totally Steve Blum!"
He mainly does background voices in games, yeah. But he's everywhere.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, he's great, I love his Yosuke. But he's just so recognizable that it's offputting, especially when you hear him in random NPC's.

"Oh there's Yosuke complaining about the weather"

"Oh there's Yosuke threatening to break my legs"
The new Hitman games are just full of Yosukes.

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like Steve Blum doesn't show up as a main character very often anymore. He does have a very recognizable voice though. For some reason he feels more like a fun cameo than anything else. Like "oh hey, that guard is totally Steve Blum!"

Steve Blum is 60 now so he's not getting any younger compared to his modern contemporaries/colleagues who are prevalent these days and are still relatively young compared to him.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
Publishers who want to save money is the problem, dubbing in the most european countries languages costs money (and time). often this becomes apparent when the european language dub is way badder than the original language because there are good dubbing actors you can use for games in every language(like the people dubbing cinema movies) but often they go the cheaper route.
You could argue this way and tell everyone to start learning chinese, once the great chinese wave of games hit the US/EU market. Japanese companies have eventually also caved in to translate their games into english/eu-languages to expand their audience.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
You could argue this way and tell everyone to start learning chinese, once the great chinese wave of games hit the US/EU market. Japanese companies have eventually also caved in to translate their games into english/eu-languages to expand their audience.
But have they? It feels like that has happened AFTER those games got significant traction in the west, despite not having great translations first. Not all of them, of course, but it certainly wasn't an obvious or smooth transition. In fact, most of the games in Japan probably still don't get localized much, if at all. It's just that we don't hear about those games, so we don't know to miss them. So I would make say there's an not insignificant argument that perhaps the arrow should go the other way - the games are somewhat popular in the West, SO they get localized. Not the other way around.

Let's not pretend like most Chinese media ever gets translated or localized for the West, either. If you want to fully enjoy Hong Kong cinema or the slick productions of modern Shanghai, you're going to need to learn Chinese, yes.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
They are very good voice actors. Half of the time I dont even know its them unless I specifically go check on IMDB. As long as you got the range to vary your performances, i dont see the problem.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
They are very good voice actors. Half of the time I dont even know its them unless I specifically go check on IMDB. As long as you got the range to vary your performances, i dont see the problem.
Troy Baker sticks out like a sore thumb in virtually everything he does. Could probably say the same for the other two as well.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Troy Baker sticks out like a sore thumb in virtually everything he does. Could probably say the same for the other two as well.
I disagree. For example, In the last two years ive played Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire, Uncharted 4 and Last of us 2. Laura Bailey voices big characters in all three, but I had no idea until I actually checked it out. She sounds completely different in all 3. Nolan North also has fantastic range, even though he usually did his "normal" voice a lot in older games, pre Uncharted mostly. I havent played that much with Troy Baker, but he sounded completely different in Uncharted compared to TLoU.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. For example, In the last two years ive played Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire, Uncharted 4 and Last of us 2. Laura Bailey voices big characters in all three, but I had no idea until I actually checked it out. She sounds completely different in all 3. Nolan North also has fantastic range, even though he usually did his "normal" voice a lot in older games, pre Uncharted mostly. I havent played that much with Troy Baker, but he sounded completely different in Uncharted compared to TLoU.
Yea, when they aren't using their "normal" voices, they show how much range they have.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a fan of Laura Bailey at least.

But I can agree some voice actors are getting spread across too many games.
Part of why I REALLY like FF7 remake is because the main cast isn't the part of the main people you listed. They put some fresh voices that killed it and were fit for their roles.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
tfw I learned like a few months ago he's the sassy movie star on the Hollywood Map on Overwatch, shattering my reality that I finally had a game without any of these white anime voice actors in it lol.

TFW I learned that he and Laura Bailey are married, ensuring a dynasty of white anime voice actors for years to come.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They aren't just cast for their voice, which seems to just be ignored, voice acting in games is more than just voicing a character (especially in AAA), mocap acting is something they are very good at too and will probably be one of the main reasons they get cast in lead roles for AAA (western) games so much.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't just cast for their voice, which seems to just be ignored, voice acting in games is more than just voicing a character (especially in AAA), mocap acting is something they are very good at too and will probably be one of the main reasons they get cast in lead roles for AAA (western) games so much.
Yea. Troy's and Laura's mocap in TLOU2 is amazing.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Troy is way worse, at being noticeable. Dude has like no range compared to Nolan.
Agree that Nolan has more range, but his delivery is still all very Nathan Drake-y. Iron Man might as well have been Nate.

I used to like all three in every game they were in (loved Laura in RE6 and Troy in BioShock Infinite), but yeah I think they're overplayed at this point. It's fine if they're in one game a year, but it's starting to get ridiculous. There are other good voice actors out there ya know, let's get some of them in these games.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
But have they? It feels like that has happened AFTER those games got significant traction in the west, despite not having great translations first. Not all of them, of course, but it certainly wasn't an obvious or smooth transition. In fact, most of the games in Japan probably still don't get localized much, if at all. It's just that we don't hear about those games, so we don't know to miss them. So I would make say there's an not insignificant argument that perhaps the arrow should go the other way - the games are somewhat popular in the West, SO they get localized. Not the other way around.

Let's not pretend like most Chinese media ever gets translated or localized for the West, either. If you want to fully enjoy Hong Kong cinema or the slick productions of modern Shanghai, you're going to need to learn Chinese, yes.
there is a point to this way of argue.
but i think, thanks to the great translation of ff9, the 90s nintendo rpgs/action-adventures these games are still being recognized as one of the best games of all time.
of you go by japan, they have their own games being considered GOAT.
if you translate/sub/dub the games, you get a higher chance of games not just being played but also being preciously remembered.
i know people in germany or italy not playing games at all, because they simply are in english or are not dubbed.

kingdom hearts1+2 were dubbed into german(even by the original disney dub company)
the rest was not taken care of. i wished kh birth by sleep or dream drop distance or 3 would had been dubbed, but no. why dub the game,(FUCK SE).

on the other hand, there was project x zone, which was only available in english and the second game was eben translated into german.
this game is so niche, yet it was translated. the translation is also quite good, for such a trashy game(i loved it).
there were also other niche games getting dubs, but big AAA are not getting that. the same goes for VA. i mean there are tons of them out there, whats the problem in making use of them?

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Thread had me look up what else Troy has done besides what I know him for.

It is fucking hilarious that there was not only a TMNT vs Batman movie, but that he played Batman AND Joker in it. That's both amazing...and incredibly dumb. And I see he's played both before for movies, but not at the same time in the same film.

I love Laura in NieR, she's so good there, but I'm indifferent to her everywhere else.

There really needs to be some new blood

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
I guess with someone like Ashly Burch it isn't so bad since she usually plays supporting characters. I love her voice so much though that I personally don't mind her being oversaturated.

The three mentioned in the OP are great at their jobs but also their voices are kinda basic (Borth and Baker moreso). I'm sure that's kinda intentional but I can see why it's so tiring for many.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree OP. And that's not to say nothing mean but I mean, there are other actors who need a shot. One dude can't just be it and racking up all the awards and money.

It's just like Chris sabat. Like my boyfriend is a huge fan but boy am I tired of hearing his voice in ever anime dub. Give more actors a chance.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
I quite like both Laura and Nolan. I've always been lukewarm on Troy. Laura's Abby in tlou2 was so fuckin good. Absolutely loved her.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I think people are being a little dismissive of the whole profession in here. The reason all 3 are so popular is because they are damn good at their jobs. You can't simply roll someone into the studio, give them their lines, and watch them go. You notice a poor performer far more than you do any actor accused of being overused. Also Troy seems like a perfectly likeable dude to me, even if he does have the occasional diva moment.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

No one is ignoring that. It's just irrelevant to the point. People just want to hear different voices as well as see other people get chances. Throwing out 'well, mocap!' doesn't really change anything about that sentiment.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
  • Nolan has a normal Drake voice he does. I can pretty much pick him out of most roles now a days main or npc. The only one was the Penguin which shocked me.
  • Laura is unique but I think my mind has regonised her voice too much now, it's the same as Jennifer Hale once you know that voice, you know it.
  • Troy has surprised me a lot more, he is pretty diverse but again like Laura having him appear in three major games in 2013 you kind of regonise his voice after. He does still surprise me with certain voices.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
They are amazing VO actors but the only insufferable one out of the three is Troy Baker.

Anyway, this has more to do with the lack of representation in the industry tbh. The last big AAA games I played with a person of color as a lead probably had to be Watch_dogs 2 and Assassins Creed Origins.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Who voiced Dina on Part2? All I will say is she sounded like the voice actor for Ellie. I found myself asking who was talking on certain scenes when they were together and kept screwing me up. Lol.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Who voiced Dina on Part2? All I will say is she sounded like the voice actor for Ellie. I found myself asking who was talking on certain scenes when they were together and kept screwing me up. Lol.

Shannon Woodward, an actress who's largely been in TV her working life and most recently in Seasons 1 and 2 of Westworld.

She actually launched a Twitch channel a month ago:

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
No one is ignoring that. It's just irrelevant to the point. People just want to hear different voices as well as see other people get chances. Throwing out 'well, mocap!' doesn't really change anything about that sentiment.
As I said there's more to it than just voicing, if you think that has no relevance to casting I don't know what to tell you. It changes a lot about the job and role. God of War (2018) was a good example of this, one of the reasons they recasted Kratos was TC Carson couldn't really mocap Kratos due to his size and the way he moved around.

The sentiment means very little when you think it's just the voice work that they are hired for. It's not like they just turn up to the studios and start recording, they audition like everyone else.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are being a little dismissive of the whole profession in here. The reason all 3 are so popular is because they are damn good at their jobs. You can't simply roll someone into the studio, give them their lines, and watch them go. You notice a poor performer far more than you do any actor accused of being overused. Also Troy seems like a perfectly likeable dude to me, even if he does have the occasional diva moment.

People being dismissive of voice actors? Whaaaat? In here? Never.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely an issue for me in the sense that there's already a somewhat big size of voice actors for media among cartoons, video games and Anime dubs. Studios used to dive into pools for one another much more often than now. It seems harmful to the industry to cultivate these super stars and not allow others to grow their strength and range.

Liam O'Brien was a voice i used to enjoy seeing used more and now I'm genuinely surprised when I hear him.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I'll be honest, I dont ever remember voices so I never knew it was the same actor for the whole AC series.

Didnt realize that they were in games like bioshock, mass effect either...

I dont pay attention to credits nor do I look for info on who voiced who lol.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Shannon Woodward, an actress who's largely been in TV her working life and most recently in Seasons 1 and 2 of Westworld.

She actually launched a Twitch channel a month ago:

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.
Omg no way haha!

She was great in Westworld! Anyways I still got them confused so it was a little difficult keeping track who was shouting stuff. ("Did Ellie say that? Or was that Dina?" X100)

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
As I said there's more to it than just voicing, if you think that has no relevance to casting I don't know what to tell you. It changes a lot about the job and role. God of War (2018) was a good example of this, one of the reasons they recasted Kratos was TC Carson couldn't really mocap Kratos due to his size and the way he moved around.

The sentiment means very little when you think it's just the voice work that they are hired for. It's not like they just turn up to the studios and start recording, they audition like everyone else.

I never said that, you're just missing the point. People are saying they want to hear new voices as well as have new people get chances. What you're saying has no baring on this and is really besides the point. Unless you want to make the argument they are the only three actors who are even capable of doing mocap work, which good luck with that argument I guess

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

Few people here are being dismissive of any of the three's talent. Even the OP said he thinks they are talented. But what people are saying is they want to see more people get these spots, and get a chance to hear fresh voices especially from POC VAs. I don't see how having a handful of actors have a strugglehold on most major parts and roles in video games and wanting to have a wider pool of talent is 'dismissive,' it's the opposite if anything.

While I don't think you mean it this way, the natural conclusion to the logic to your post is that only these three are talented enough to do a good job and everyone one else in the industry as a VA is too subpar to even be given a chance at bigger roles. Ironically, I think you're being far more dismissive of the talents of VAs with this even if it's unintentional.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
While I don't think you mean it this way, the natural conclusion to the logic to your post is that only these three are talented enough to do a good job and everyone one else in the industry as a VA is too subpar to even be given a chance at bigger roles. Ironically, I think you're being far more dismissive of the talents of VAs with this even if it's unintentional.

Yeah, that is fair. I think there are far more than three talented VAs in the industry, but I honestly do think there is an elite tier, which these three certainly occupy.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah I really do like all three of them, but they're pretty played out at this point. I get the benefit of having a tried and true tested vo over a newbie, but the downside is every new game all sounds more or less the same after a while.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I never said that, you're just missing the point. People are saying they want to hear new voices as well as have new people get chances. What you're saying has no baring on this and is really besides the point. Unless you want to make the argument they are the only three actors who can are even capable of doing mocap work, which good luck with that argument I guess
Nah people here are just saying they want less of them 3 specifically, it's not like they are the only widely used actors in games.
What I'm saying is they aren't just hired for the voice, they are some of the most experienced actors when it comes to working with full body mocap and know how to audition with it in mind, if people think their experience isn't a factor when companies are casting and they should just cast someone else instead because reasons that's their problem.
Funnily Druckmann/ND didn't want to cast Laura as Abby, "because she's in everything" but it wasn't until she auditioned and her body language is what made them change their mind.

Deleted member 45468

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
There are so many talented voice actors that it's a shame we get the same voice over and over. It won't prevent me from buying a game but it definitely impacts my enjoyment of it.

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many talented voice actors that it's a shame we get the same voice over and over. It won't prevent me from buying a game but it definitely impacts my enjoyment of it.

Yeah exactly. I don't get why this is so controversial here
I have favorite (visual) actors, but I don't want to see them in every movie I watch
There are actors who are super experienced and talented, but I don't mind less experienced actors playing roles if only to bring some difference

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
These people are very good at their jobs. There is a reason why they cast them for voice jobs/mocap. I don't see a problem with this.