• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Alright, let's get this out onto a tray
6624229_square_cafeteria_pizza.jpg
Nice!

Oct 27, 2017
Here in Sweden it was great tbh, always cooked food. Can't speak for how it is now since it was almost 20 years since I went to school. And it was free.

Sweden, Stockholm to be more specific. Generally excellent, and any Stockholm kid can probably vouch for the highlight, "kebabskav med pitabröd".

Aww, we never got it here down south. I doubt kebab had made it's entrance in Sweden when I was young.

JBucc

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty typical US school food in the main cafeteria. I didn't mind most of it though. Chicken Nuggets were always popular. Making a sandwich out of the roll, chicken nuggets, and mashed potatoes was pretty common. Our high school also opened the concession stand for lunch and we had an a-la-carte line that had pretty good salads and some other stuff.

When I was very young I went to a private school and all I remember is lots of vegetables and you couldn't leave until you ate them all.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Depending on the day it was ok. Pizza, chicken sandwich, and ham sandwich days were good. It's the only time in my life when I'll eat pizza, corn, mash potatoes, and chocolate milk in one meal though lol.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Same as it is now, self made slices of breed with different spreads.

We didn't have schools that made lunch for is here in the Netherlands.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Weren't to my liking in elementary and middle school. In high school they had a separate line for special stuff like pizza that was actually good and boneless chicken with teriyaki or buffalo sauce on it. Completely dropped eating the tray lunch for that. Folk would race towards that line because they would run out relatively quick, but I usually never had a problem with that. But damn, the annoying assholes who would cut in line for that shit, trying to take MY PIZZA.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
When I first met my wife in the '90s, I remember mentioning drinking Beep as a kid. She totally thought I was imagining things since we both grew up in Vancouver, and she never heard of it. It wasn't until later searching on the internet, I could prove it existed. At least she remembered Super Socco, though.

I swear it's almost a Mandela effect thing. I can't find a single picture on the internet of the original (or at least 80's) packaging for Beep. I know it didn't look like the image I posted though.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
France. Up to 2hours lunch break.
Choice of starter/salad, a fruit or dessert, a yogurt or real cheese, and a hot entree with carbs/veggie and a choice between two kinds of protein, usually meat or fish. And the entree used to be pretty diverse.
Also unlimited shitty bread

You could get as many portion of the carbs/veggies as you'd like if you finish it. But portions were reasonable. Still it was nice for those days where you were hungry

great overall. We also had options for sandwiches or Panini.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So in the California elementary school I went to in the late 90s and early 2000s, about 90% of students got free lunch. That lunch typically consisted of reheated, packaged food.
That food could be Tony's Pizza brand, or maybe a brandless chicken sandwich, or a bean and cheese burrito I can't remember the brand of but being really good. And calzones! I've never found anything comparable to the ones I had there.
Also, milk and juice were standard and usually came in pouches.
Lunches always took place outside and even the food was picked up there. We'd collect the food in these paper trays with sides on them. Sometimes they'd be smooth white with red stripes, and sometimes they'd be a cardboard brown.
There was no "cafeteria".

Oct 29, 2017
We had those doughy, rectangle pizzas and I miss them so much.

We also had shrimp poppers on fridays which, for some reason, was always the hypest shit in the world lol

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I thought it was fine. Lots of my friends complained but I never understood why, mostly thought they were just picky and to be honest a bit whiny.

We had an salad table as well as some kind of heated dish. (it was not cooked at site but relatively close)

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
The chicken patty sandwiches and pizza were good. The burgers tasted ok, but didn't look good. Don't remember much else.

The chicken patties were so good it really makes me want to see if I can find something like them. They were seasoned just right and really quite delicious.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Chips most days. there was a Tesco right next to my school so you could just buy something else. The food in school wasn't free anyway, it was more like a cafe

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
pretty damn good, always had good memories of their all you can eat spaghetti

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
It was amazing and then it was trash suddenly. Idk what year exactly or why it happened... probably some new regulation. On fridays we used to get deep dish pizza and a cinnamon roll with like 2 cups of cream cheese frosting. Oh and chocolate milk of course. Looking back it was unhealthy as hell but idc it was delicious.

p_xavier

Jan 8, 2018
There was a frozen food factory nearby and we were served the rejects from the factory, basically overburnt or ugly pizza. I'm from a poor rural town. We had unlimited chocolate milk though.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
I'm from Australia and went to public school and I remember our canteens used to have stuff like baked potato with bacon, pizza, pizza pockets, meat pies, pasta and spaghetti, lots of sandwiches, sushi, burgers, vietnamese meat rolls and loads of other stuff. Mostly brand drinks and snacks as well. I always enjoyed it (unless there was seafood), so I guess here it's more like a cafe or something where you buy what you want?

Dec 22, 2018
All I can remember are the chicken nuggets that could bounce five feet in the air, and the milk you could buy for ten cents that sometimes came out as a solid rather than a liquid.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
From what I could remember from the late 80s through the mid 90s, I lived for pizza Fridays. We also had some good ass chicken tenders, and decent hamburgers. My high school had a pizza station, salad station, baked potato station, or you could just get whatever entree they were serving. My college had a Chik-Fil-A, Pizza Hut, TCBY, and a station that made some of the best handmade pretzels I've ever had.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
OP lunch looks delicious. I went to Catholic school so I had to bring my own lunch. I didn't even know schools gave lunch.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, it was alright I guess. Bog standard stuff until I got to High School.
My first two years when i was in California, there was an a la carte line where they had a selection of microwavable stuff.
They had those Don Miguel THE BOMB Burritos that were a huge step up from cafeteria fare.
When I moved to Germany for my final two years, the school on the military base used the same food service contractor as the mess halls (Sodexo maybe?) That was surprisingly decent.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really loved the Chicken a la King they would serve.

They got Lil Caesars tier pizza at my elementary school. Also they sometimes serve a Dorito's back with meat and melted cheese in it.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
2 chocolate milks and a big ass salad with every topping under the sun, then whatever the main "meal" for the day was

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was awesome!! We had Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Miguel's Jr, in addition to soft drinks in high-school. For like 2 bucks you would get a soda, a side, a desert, and whatever menu item you wanted. You had the choice of either a slice of pizza, a miguels burrito, or two taco bell burritos. Or you could get the school entree's which were pretty good, like a cheeseburger, chicken sandwich, chicken nuggets or whatever specials they had.

Breakfast was awesome too. For like a buck you got a drink, an entree and a hashbrown. But it all ended once Arnold became Governor of California. Food became hot garbage and increased in price. Fuck that guy. Thank God I got to leave campus for lunch and eat whatever I wanted.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
When I was in 8th grade my school served french fries literally every day no matter what the entree was. If they served pizza you got a side of fries with that. School lunches were always pretty poor to the best of my memory.

I remember one school served breakfast too. Usually toast with a slice of processed cheese on it but sometimes cereal bowls with milk.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly loved those rectangle pizzas. There's something about them that I sincerely miss and have never found in any other pizza.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
In elementary school I went to 3 or 4 different schools (family moved around) but I just remember the square pizza around that time.

Middle School for me was cool as hell, we had a place we could buy like premade subway sandwiches (it might not have been subway branded but I remember it that way) and slices of hershies pie, or you could get like normal cafeteria food in another line.

Highschool food I just remember these overcooked burritos and awful pizza.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
The elementary school I studied at when I was in Guam was legit. They would actually make cooked food, like bbq chicken thighs. I really miss my childhood there.

Middle school and high school were awful when I moved to America. I remember one of the lunch options being a burrito covered in sauce and cheese and the burrito was hard.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Elementary school highlights were hard shell tacos with beef.
Pepperoni pizzas for lunch and pizza bagels for breakfast.

Middle school, dont remember much.

High school I didnt really get the school food other than $1 burritos every day.
We had personal size pizza hut and subway for the first 2 years I was there.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty bad. I usually brought lunch from home.
Where I'm at it's ridiculously expensive for those of us that have to pay for it (half the district is free or reduced lunch). If both my kids ate school lunch everyday I'd be spending more on that than I do groceries.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
We didnt have school lunch. You made it yourself at home. Not sure i understand why school should provide that.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
6624229_square_cafeteria_pizza.jpg

This image I found is pretty close to the same thing I ate in rural central PA 91-97.

Good days were ham patty or chicken patty. On very rare days Mashed potatoes and turkey.

The horrific days were the taco boats and pizza like above, never with anything but cheese.
This is pretty much what I remember of school lunches. The pizza rectangle, canned veggies and fruit, small milk cartons.

I think the mushy canned peas probably turned a lot of kids off the whole concept of peas. (Garden fresh peas that aren't cooked into mush are great!)

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Unless you bought sandwiches in, or were someone who had free school meals due to coming from a low income family/unemployed, then school meals were paid for by parents. Usually meant bullies targeted kids for their money at times.

School meals were mostly chip focused, but did offer other variations of potato. Including boiled, roast, jackets and mash. We had roasts on offer once, maybe twice a month. And in my last year, they introduced a salad bar. Was surprising how much you could get for £1.50/£2. Could get a decent sized meal (Jacket, or various choice with chips), pudding (chocolate slab and pink custard was the staple) and a drink (tip-top or squash) for that money. We had vending machines which kids mostly popped to get a Pepsi or Coke instead.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't have a canteen all the way through school.

Primary school junk food was banned, no crisps/chips, chocolate etc. My biscuits/cookies were often confiscated.

Secondary school we could go into town and get food. I didn't bother just had sandwiches and tackled mount homework during my lunch.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
School lunch was never a thing when I went to school. We brought our own and it was only until high school where we could buy lunch (limited options).

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I enjoyed pizza day even though it was just basically a cheesier Ellios.

I really loved salad bar day. I love salad but only when I load it up with all the bad shit so it's no longer healthy.

Chicken nugget day was terrible because the nuggets felt so gristly like it was just a wad of fat.

I can't really remember any of the other lunches we had. These are just the ones that were all the time.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
We would go the kitchen and make our own sandwiches or the lunch ladies would make them for us. For drinks we had pomegranate tea and chocolate milk. We had no canteen, we would take our sandwiches and walk around the outside of the school or walk to the nearest bakery. On some days, mostly fridays, we'd have pizza or hot-dogs. As you grew older, parents would give you more money and you would mostly buy your meal at the local bakery or get yourself a nicer sandwich at the local grocery store.

After the lunch would end, we would form 8 lines in front of the school depending on which grade you were in(1-8). A teacher would let each line inside separately.

That was elementary school. In high school, everyone bought their own meals at the nearest bakery/store. There was no canteen/kitchen.

Last edited: