• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Pretty shitty in elementary school, so my mom usually packed a lunch. In middle school it improved dramatically for a year or two, but they switched vendors and it went back to being terrible. It was straight up awful in high school, but most people just opted to leave campus for lunch, so we'd either go to the university nearby or a Mexican restaurant that always had an amazing student lunch special.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Most of my schools in England and US growing up were bring-your-own.

My second high school which was in Maryland was family style. Every day would be a new "main" course - tacos, chicken breasts, fish and stuff like that - but the best thing was there was a huge salad bar.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I went to several different schools and they were all terrible.

I just exclusively ate my mom's food after a point and it was much better.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
I ate from the snack bar at my high school since the lunch was mostly ass. The snack bar was a lot like Diddy's studio... shut down at least once a week because if fights.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Looking at these American lunches... Incredible lol, no offense but no wonder you guys grew fat...

Ours (Belgium, EU) was pretty varied, did not always taste that well but eh it was healthy most of the time.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Quite nice.
Traditional Finnish food, some surprises once in a while.
So soups, potatoes, pasta, fish, meats, sausage, blood pancakes etc.

Most of it was fully made in school kitchen and varied enough.
Water, milk, buttermilk as a drink choices.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
The ones in Japan were mindblowingly good. The ones in the US not so much (although the high school one was way better than the elementary school ones)

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
8546053033_e95eaad450_k.jpg

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/87238/what-school-lunch-looked-each-decade-past-century

Michelle is like, "You'll eat it and you'll like it".

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Garbage. Sure, our parents thought it was great, dunno what the sample food they were given was but all I can say is that army food was better. In the military all the other recruits were complaining how terrible the food was, I considered it a marked improvement over the school trash.

For some reason parents were even telling each other that the school had a reputation for good food. I honestly have no idea WTF. The unspecified juice we had to drink was even worse. Had nicknames like hippo piss and ichor.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Looking back, I wish my school's lunch program looked like that instead of the crappy meat & carb meals they offered.
Sure, kids will eat pretty much anything that's set out for them. Add a little hummus to that or something and they'll be fine. The crap we had in the '80s was inedible. That was when Pres Reagan declared Ketchup was a vegetable. lol

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Didn't have it much but was alright. The rice pudding looked like lumpy albino diarrhea with a dollop of blood in the middle. Tasted like heaven though, fuck me.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
I`m always surprised when I see posts talking about school lunches. My school didn`t have a cafeteria or anything. The closes we got was once a month a bunch of pizzas were bought and sold for 2 bucks a slice. Everybody either brought lunch or went to mcdonalds or what not.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Cali. I was a super picky kid so when my family stopped packing lunches I often didn't eat lunch at all unless it was Domino's day. Choices were usually a sandwich with a cold cut of cheese, some chicken nuggs, and one of those tiny little puck pizzas. Occasionally there were other things like sloppy joes but I don't remember liking much of anything

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Went to public school in a small town in South Dakota and most of it was pretty bad but there were several days I looked forward to a month. We usually had chicken nuggets a couple times a month, pizza a couple times a month, and then we'd have some variation of taco salad, garbage burritos and something else I'm forgetting where I would load up on salsa, that was great! The spinach was absolutely disgusting and smelled so bad.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I recall the most amazing crispy little burritos ever. They came with this amazing red sauce poured all over them.

These don't exist anywhere in the world anymore. Or at least I can't find them.

Oh what I would give to taste just one more of these. Just one.

Alright, let's get this out onto a tray

Nice!

lol. Love that guy

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I swear it's almost a Mandela effect thing. I can't find a single picture on the internet of the original (or at least 80's) packaging for Beep. I know it didn't look like the image I posted though.
The packaging looks a lot like I remember in that pic. I had it around 1980-1981 so maybe they updated their '60s style logos after that.

Aeriscloud

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The burgers always tasted... not quite like beef? Maybe the fat ratio was weird, or something was mixed in? They were good by the standard set by the rest of the lunches, but they were definitely off.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I don't remember liking/eating much of cafeteria food. In middle school I spent $1.50 almost everyday for this really good pizza from the lunch store instead. If I had an extra dollar, I'd get the chow mein option.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
in elementary? i enjoyed the peanut butter and jelly sandwich and some chocolate milk. bout it. lmao.

pizza was you know, edible.

i didnt do school lunches after that.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty terrible from elementary to high school. Yet the school superintendent had enough money to drive a new Mercedes.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
It was OK, got better as time went on. Sometimes some poor dish choices like rice porridge or pancakes which isn't really lunch food imo, but overall can't complain too much.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I had it throughout elementary school. It was fairly balanced I thought, with all properly cooked pasta, fish, meat stuff, and whatnot. We had pizza once every two weeks I think, which was pretty damn good. I only remember the soup being terribly disgusting (barely tasted like anything).

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Our school tried to sell "pizzas" that were basically cheese and sauce baked onto pieces of bread lmao.

Generally I stuck to burgers and chips. Terrible.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
My mom made it for me, and it was mostly poor people stuff.

Grated cheddar cheese and a bit of mayonaise sandwich or a chef boyardee in a thermos.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I went to both a private and public school.

The public school lunch was pretty bad. The only thing they had that I liked was a chicken patty with gravy that was actually alright and the good ol rectangle slice of Cheese Pizza which was terrible but it was pizza and I was a kid.

Private school lunch was way more expensive but it was actually pretty good. They had a shepherds pie that was great, roast chicken, a really good cheeseburger, chili, roasted turkey...it was all pretty darn good.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
As a kid in the 90s, I had no complaints. It was better than some of what was posted in this thread at least. High school was a huge jump in quality, but they also allowed us to go off campus for lunch, so I don't even remember most of what they served.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Bad enough that when your parents bring in McDonalds for you, you become the popular kid for the rest of the day.

Oct 27, 2017
Went to public school in a small town in South Dakota and most of it was pretty bad but there were several days I looked forward to a month. We usually had chicken nuggets a couple times a month, pizza a couple times a month, and then we'd have some variation of taco salad, garbage burritos and something else I'm forgetting where I would load up on salsa, that was great! The spinach was absolutely disgusting and smelled so bad.
I grew up thinking I hated spinach. That's because all I was ever exposed to is that godawful creation canned spinach. How people eat that gloopy shit is beyond me.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I skipped school lunch for the most part if I could help it.

I remember in elementary school liking it a lot, but then again I was like 6-11 during that time.

Middle school I usually had a turkey sandwich packed for me.

High school was a whole different beast though since I was on a college campus during that time, so you bet your ass I always skipped the school lunch and got food from all the other places around (Panda Express, Chick-Fil-A, Auntie Annes...)

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
We moved around a lot and the first school I attended that even had a cafeteria was high school. I never tried the food, not sure how many did, most just went across the street to the mall food court. Before high school at the various schools I attended you either walked home for lunch, or you brought your lunch and at it at your desk.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It was great, the Turkey Burger was my personal favorite and it was huge too, like almost too big for even some Football players in my school. Looking at my little cousins menu, and it is kinda saddening what they server them. Like I get wanting the kids to eat more healthy, but why the fuck did you get rid off chocolate and strawberry milk.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we had multiple options and I always remember going in the make your own wrap line. I would usually get a turkey w/ bacon, tomatoes, lettuce, and ranch wrap

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It looked like garbage. So my mom packed me grapes, bread, and a cupcake for lunch most days instead. Looking back that's actually pretty unhealthy but I turned out fine and it tasted great.

Geeko

Oct 27, 2017
San Jose, CA
Rectangular pizza. Breaded chicken sandwiches, chicken nuggets. Shitastic burgers. Regular or chocolate milk. Canned fruit and green beans in a gigantic troughs. Iceburg lettuce and ranch. That was the majority of hot lunches here in Cali, early 90s.

I brought my own lunch...

Godsfather

Jul 14, 2019
I enjoyed public school lunch for the most part. I dunno where else they do this, but we used to have these great value mcribs and I'm still nostalgic for them sometimes.

KingTrainJumper

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2020
Mostly shitty. The hot dogs they had at my school were so god awful. They occasionally had some good stuff. The chicken sandwiches were alright.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I was in a poor school district in Arkansas in the 80s.

I wouldn't eat it now but I usually cleaned my plate

except the pizza. I'd eat a few pieces of that

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Mediocre to kinda decent except for the "hamburger" patties which were mostly textured soy protein and cooked in water. Usually skipped lunch in high school, which in hindsight probably cost me a few grade points and fucked up my metabolism to boot.

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much one of the weekly meals in our school district. Only we had just white/choccy milk

One good thing about school was the nacho/salad bar. You could opt for that instead of the regular school lunch and pile as much food on your plate as you wanted. I usually went for that instead.

a0ab6ec2e93c7a069f4d67568403b9c0.jpg

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I just remember taco snacks and french toast pizzas being the only things worth it. Beyond those two things, I was at the snack bar grabbing some hot fries and a sprite until I reached middle school, where I switched to french fries, a pretzel, and a peach snapple from the snack bar.

That later turned into Funyuns, Ruffles, and a blue Powerade in high school, which eventually turned to me not eating at school at all and simply going to Wendy's around the corner afterward.

I don't remember the costs because 97% of the food was trash, and what I did eat was no more than $3 daily.