spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Super niche. If you knew who they were, you probably liked them on some level. However, very few people knew their name. I liked King's Field a lot, so I was aware of them.

Spaggy

Oct 26, 2017
I played Otogi, but by the time Demon's was getting a lot of word of mouth, I did t realize they were the same developer.

My friend played one of their early cycle PS2 games, but I didn't know at the time about the developer, only later on when FROM got bigger.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Extremely niche. Like Seinfeld before season 4. I'd say it wasn't until Dark Souls that they enjoyed a wider appeal, even though even at that point, relatively speaking, you couldn't say that they'd hit the big time.

D4rth Man7iz

Mar 30, 2018
Xbox players knew them for this little gem.

c08517626f0ee51f21bc7e2907b85040.jpg

+1

Such a gem! The sequel too.

Rezae

Oct 28, 2017
I was a huge King's Field fan, ever since the original in '95 I think it was. FROM has always been on my radar.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I only knew they did Tenchu after the fact as I was too young to care about who developed what back then.

Armored Core 3 was the first game that made me really take notice of them. It was one of those games that I found so appealing from a design point but the gameplay was incomprehensible to me yet I could not drop it just because everything else about the game was pulling me in. Eventually I got to grips with the game and became good at it and that was when I knew of From Software. It was also one of the early games I remember playing where the scope of the boss battles blew my mind. Here you have giants robots duking it out and then here comes and even more giant spaceship/robot thing that covers the distant sky.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Had no clue who they were. They had something to do with the armored core series, right? I had played the shit out of those, but had no clue who made them until after the Souls games brought them to my attention.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I didn't know who they were before I played 3D Dot Game Heroes. Even then I don't think I really took notice of them until after they blew up with Dark Souls.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, knew them since the PS1 days with armored core and kings field.

They were the developer of really niche games.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Otogi and Lost Kingdoms were two of my favorite series, and were actually the reason I had high expectations for Demon Souls when everyone else was luke warm on it before release.

Oct 25, 2017
I never personally cared about Armored Core, but everyone I knew generally considered it a solid series, and it was fairly well known. So, before Souls, I would have been like "FROM? Oh, the Armored Core guys, cool."

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
They were niche, but it was the kind of niche that I'm in. Love the Armored Core and Lost Kingdom games, and played a fair bit of King's Feild and Eternal Ring as well. And with stuff like Metal Wolf Chaos and Chromehounds, they were always the solid mecha game team. But those games weren't really in the conversation, except for enthusiasts.

I would have never expected them to achieve mainstream success here in the States, but I'm glad to see it happened anyway. Strangely enough, I still haven't played a Souls game (I know, I know), though I've been interested since Demon's Souls -- just one of those essentials that somehow keeps passing you by. I'm in on the Switch version of Dark Souls, come hell or high water, so it'll be a really interesting return for me.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played a lot of Chromehounds on 360 -- but I didn't really think about who the developer was. I didn't realize it was Fromsoft until years later when they were a thing.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
These types of situations fall into 3 tiers.

Same thing that happened with FROM happened with Mark Cerny.

1. Didn't know them before but love them now.

2. Knew them before as a relative no name but appreciated their work.

3. Didn't know them before but want to be part of an echo chamber so you yell their accomplishments past and present at the top of your lungs claiming to be a true fan before they were hip.

Edit: I guess more tiers if you didn't know them prior or after and don't like their work, but generally the above 3 apply.

Me, I'm group 1, didn't know them prior to dark souls but they are now on my radar.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Otogi was all I had really played from them before DeS, I really enjoyed it.

Man, Miyazaki really did put Fromsoftware on the map. His promotion to president makes a lot of sense, the team over there is incredibly talented, but Miyazaki's vision really helps them shine really bright.

1512617862679.jpg

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Despite playing like 2 Armored Core games I didn't know who they were until they made Demons. Miyazaki put From on the map. What an incredibly talented man.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
To me, they made awesome games from mecha to Japanese mythology. I grew up on the Armored Core series, and I still love it to this day.

Then, on Xbox OG, From put out this amazing title called Otogi. Outstanding music, graphics, water effects, environmental destruction...it had it all. Then they made a sequel which as arguably better, where you could play a floating tree stump with a pirate ship steering wheel for a weapon, and summon crazy magical dragons and butterflies.

From used to make amazing games to me. Lately they've all been focused on the soulsborne games. It's cool for some people, bitchin I wish we could get a revival of their earlier projects.

Most people probably didn't know who they were. Lol at all the people pretending they knew about them before Souls.
Are people doing that? That's kind of sucky. Or are you just dismissing people who actually did know who From was pre Dark Souls? The Otogi games were superb and I was a huge fan. The atmosphere, the lore, the action and destruction. Incredibly well done. Those games are the reason Dark souls was even on my radar. So for me it was quite the opposite. I'm still waiting for an Otogi sequel. That would be fucking awesome!

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They made tons of good titles before Souls, but they were always niche. Lots of mech games, first person RPGs, horror titles, and action games.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I knew them due to Tenchu, and then Tenchu started to do weird things like remove the protagonist Rikimaru as a playable character or release on 360 with horrible HD PS2-tier graphics (given the 360 standards of the time, even) and janky gameplay.

After that, I just kinda forgot about them.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I still prefer their mech games to Dark Souls, if I have to be honest. Armored Core for Answer was perfection, and V and Verdict Day were great in their own right. I still haven't beaten Dark Souls.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I knew about armored core and such but never paid too much attention who was behind the games.

one gamespot review and blockbuster rental later - I was hooked on Demons Souls and now From is my favorite developer.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Never have good impression of From Software even now.
I tried 2 of their games on PS2: Forever Kingdom and Evergrace.
Both are ARPG and to be honest they are very boring games.
I'm also not a big fan of Soulsborne gameplay

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'd never heard of them (had played their games though). I first saw dark souls on Xbox live, the game was still relatively unheard of as this was soon after release.

I literally saw a single image of darkroot forest and was instantly like "wait that's it, the game I've always wanted.". I watched Keza's IGN review and it was clear my first impression was right, this was a game about a wonderful/horrible world. I played the game all night, only stopping after finding the hydra, to call my brother round "This is the best game I've ever played, it's horrible and I'm basically there". He brought the game immediately after seeing it.
This is how modern day fromsoft become what it is, word of mouth, the only marketing you need when nobody else is making the games you can only dream up in your head.

This is the best description of Dark Souls I've read in a while.

It's like playing a Hieronymus Bosch painting.

On Topic: I remember being aware of Otogi since it reviewed well and I even considered buying it, but I always thought of it as a Sega game since they were the publisher. I had no idea who the developer was and only in retrospect, post Dark Souls did I find out they developed Otogi.

Last edited:

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
I had never heard of them before Demon's Souls even though i played with Armored Core 3 and Eternal Ring in the past. Now they are my favorite dev.