• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
No, try harder to be what they claim the game is - an MMO. They call it an MMO and make zero perceptible effort to give us the basics of an MMO like in-game LFG so that more than a tiny percentage of the player base feels like they have access to content such as raids. Do you honestly think that's too much to ask for?

What does this have to do anything with this thread? Almost every new activity introduced is match made. Raids won't receive matchmaking or LFG anytime soon until Destiny 3 probably...
That sure seems like a convoluted monetization scheme. Maybe intentionally so you'll just buy Shadowkeep just so that you don't have to think about it?

I mean you get season 8 for free with shadowkeep (which includes this battle pass).... so yea.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Strakt this section might be worth popping in the OP as it positions it well:
We want to make sure that each Season has multiple, complementary reward sources, because we all play Destiny differently, and we want to be able to customize our Guardians the way we want to. We will continue to have RNG rewards as a part of our activities, and we also want to add a direct track of rewards each Season that you can progress every evening. The best weapons and armor will still live in the treasure chests of our toughest monsters and villains, but we hope now there will be fewer nights where players feel like they logged into Destiny and got nothing done.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
That sure seems like a convoluted monetization scheme. Maybe intentionally so you'll just buy Shadowkeep just so that you don't have to think about it?

I would bet there are more people who want to buy Shadowkeep than there are that want to just buy seasons and not the new expansion. Including one season with Shadowkeep makes it easier to show the seasons will play out, letting people buy more seasons if they want to continue.

I mean they're still gonna have to raise the cap each season. The power you get from the artifact goes away after each season.

Are they? I thought the power cap increase is coming from Shadowkeep.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm bothered by their design philosophy of the seasonal content activities/story. Making things disappear does not add momentum to the story. If you did the theoretical change to last year, Ada would have been some rando who just came in and fucked off and then we move on to the next thing where little occurred. I felt like they started to understand how to tell a story in Destiny but deciding "the story is moving forward because we delete parts of it at a time" is just sad.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
thanks don't know how I missed it. I'll probably just buy the premium anyway but I still don't quite get what the extra $20 gets you in the deluxe edition

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Thanks. I guess that's an endorsement for getting back in. Should I just hold off on paying since I'll be overwhelmed with all the catching up?

There's not much of a reason to jump back in now unless you just have an itch to play because when New Light comes out on October 1st every new and returning player will be raised to the current power level cap of 750. You won't have to worry about grinding in order to start Shadowkeep.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
thanks don't know how I missed it. I'll probably just buy the premium anyway but I still don't quite get what the extra $20 gets you in the deluxe edition

Three more season passes and some cosmetic items.

The artifacts (which provide the bonus Power) are seasonal. They will go away at the end of each season and you'll get a new one with new benefits and a reset power bonus.

Right, but that isn't increasing the power cap like they did each time with Y2 seasons. Unless that means that each new seasonal activity will be at 960+.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I'm bothered by their design philosophy of the seasonal content activities/story. Making things disappear does not add momentum to the story. If you did the theoretical change to last year, Ada would have been some rando who just came in and fucked off and then we move on to the next thing where little occurred. I felt like they started to understand how to tell a story in Destiny but deciding "the story is moving forward because we delete parts of it at a time" is just sad.

Unless it leads to stories actually being concluded. Right now the forges are open and ada just stands around. I would rather they conclude her story so we can move on.

demi

Oct 27, 2017

The "Digital Deluxe" edition gives you the Season Pass (So you're guaranteed to be on the "Premium" pass of the Battle Pass) + Shadowkeep + some frivolous cosmetics/skins

Digital Deluxe items include:
• Four Season Passes*, each offering a unique set of exclusive Seasonal activities, artifacts, and rewards
• Exclusive Eris Morn themed items:
o Exotic Emote
o Exotic Ghost Shell
o Emblem

If that's what you're referring to

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
They're really going the try every monetization strategy imaginable then. Really not interested in seeing every game have a battle pass and add-ons. It's definitely souring me on Apex.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I would bet there are more people who want to buy Shadowkeep than there are that want to just buy seasons and not the new expansion. Including one season with Shadowkeep makes it easier to show the seasons will play out, letting people buy more seasons if they want to continue.

Are they? I thought the power cap increase is coming from Shadowkeep.

There is a power level increase coming in Shadowkeep (it's going from 750 to 960), but the additional power you can earn from the artifact is only available during that specific season. Once the season ends a new artifact will come out and the power bonus will be reset.

StefanShepard

Feb 9, 2018
I like it. Considering that Destiny 2 has been my main game for the last year I'll probably be getting a lot out of the Battle Pass.
Hopefully this is another step in pushing the Eververse to the wayside.

So far I can't complain about anything regarding Shadowkeep. Now I only need to know wether I still need PS Plus to play Destiny 2 after the New Light Update.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
the big complaint last year was that there were too many storylines that started and never went anywhere. Now, there is a big narrative for expansions and a seasonal story that may play a part but is resolved during the season, or it is expanded on in the next season. This is a great addition And allows the game to stop being as bloated as it has been. They're focusing on making the game deep not wide. I'd say this is a great change. Plus there's still going to be ways to get certain rewards after the season is over.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Loving the systemic changes coming to Destiny 2.

Now I just wish they would migrate to adding things to make the Destiny experience more RPG like and give us proper open-world maps in PVE. More character/face customization options and more character slots should come right after that. But Bungie seems to be avoiding those type of "big-leap"- like changes like a plague.

Last edited:

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I get why they're doing it but I really don't like the idea of the activity just going away at the end of the season.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
10 week seasons will be nice. The three we had this year all felt a bit too long (though the Shadowkeep delay did affect that a bit for this season).

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Unless it leads to stories actually being concluded. Right now the forges are open and ada just stands around. I would rather they conclude her story so we can move on.

Her story is concluded. Only difference is that we can still do the activities. The story wouldn't change, just the fact you can't do it anymore. That's not momentum or actual impact on the world.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the content youre paying for being time limited and going out with FOMO. With the annual pass the black armory was always there, gambit prime as well. Didnt play the last seasom though.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Loving the systemic changes coming to Destiny 2.

Now I just wish they would migrate to adding things to make the Destiny experience more RPG like and give us proper open-world maps in PVE. More customization options and more character slots should be come right after that. But Bungie seems to be avoiding those type of "big-leap"- like changes like a plague.

The talk was that all the big RPG systems and changes were coming with next year's big release (whether that's still Destiny 3 or however it manifests).

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also worth noting that this post confirms that the Artifact power boost is uncapped (and is an account-wide boost)

So Power is essentially limitless now. We're gonna see some craaaaaaaazy numbers.
Possibly. IIRC, Diablo 3 has something similar where you can endlessly level up your stats, but the higher you go up, the longer it takes to gain a new stat point (up to a point).

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Possibly. IIRC, Diablo 3 has something similar where you can endlessly level up your stats, but the higher you go up, the longer it takes to gain a new stat point (up to a point).

Even then, you see crazy high paragon levels in Diablo seasons. Some people are just that committed to the grind. lol

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I guess they were already on this model then with the Season Pass +Add-ons. They're just using the battle pass vocabulary. Regardless, it's too much to keep paying in for me.

Shadowkeep is $35 (You don't need to own previous expansions to play it). A season costs $10. Shadowkeep itself will have ALOT of content which is good value. A season not only includes new gear / activities/ but this battle pass on top of it. The value is great IMO compared to other games.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of the content youre paying for being time limited and going out with FOMO. With the annual pass the black armory was always there, gambit prime as well. Didnt play the last seasom though.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but eventually, they're phasing out either Gambit or Gambit Prime. I'm pretty sure they mentioned that recently.

More on-topic though: I don't like the idea of the activities going away either, but there are already enough things to do in the game that I'm not too terribly bothered by it, especially since it sounds like most of the gear from those activities will eventually find their way back into the loot pool somehow.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has already been asked, but would you recommend getting back into the game to a guy like me that has not fired the game up ever since the first expansion to the game (I played quite a lot for the first 3-4 months)?
Is there stuff to do, are the newer expansions interesting?

Now that it's going FTP I'm sure there will be a lot of peoole playing.
And I'm not averse to purchasing the expansion, but should I just hold off until I catch up with all the stuff I missed?

On PS4 if it matters.
I started playing a few months ago, after not playing since shortly after launch, and the amount of content in the game is fucking INSANE. There is always something new to chase, and the gunplay is still unmatched.

Nov 28, 2017
There's not much of a reason to jump back in now unless you just have an itch to play because when New Light comes out on October 1st every new and returning player will be raised to the current power level cap of 750. You won't have to worry about grinding in order to start Shadowkeep.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not really that impatient, so I'll take your suggestion and wait for October to roll in.
I went to download it now and my HDD is full anyway, I need to delete something first, so I might just try to finish some of those games.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
the big complaint last year was that there were too many storylines that started and never went anywhere. Now, there is a big narrative for expansions and a seasonal story that may play a part but is resolved during the season, or it is expanded on in the next season. This is a great addition And allows the game to stop being as bloated as it has been. They're focusing on making the game deep not wide. I'd say this is a great change. Plus there's still going to be ways to get certain rewards after the season is over.

That still doesn't make the story go anywhere though. I care less about the activities leaving and more of the framing of "it's an evolving world and story". Ada arriving and then leaving would not had made the story better. It would just suck and then it would be gone. Also imagine if she did and then we were stuck with only Gambit Prime/Reckoning the next season. That sounds god awful.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Shadowkeep is $35 (You don't need to own previous expansions to play it). A season costs $10. Shadowkeep itself will have ALOT of content which is good value. A season not only includes new gear / activities/ but this battle pass on top of it. The value is great IMO compared to other games.

Matter of opinion. Season passes and battle passes rarely pan out to feel worthwhile in my experience.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's basically no different than the Forsaken Annual Pass?

Just has a premium battle pass included? Does it do what other BP's do and give you enough premium currency back to repurchase it?

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but eventually, they're phasing out either Gambit or Gambit Prime. I'm pretty sure they mentioned that recently.
Luke had said support for one of the gambits will end at some point. I do wonder if that means 'content support' or removing a game mode entirely. Though there's a lot tied into gambit prime, I'd wager its safe at the moment.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep and seasons can be individually purchased now for $10.
Thats actually not too bad. I'd rather pay season by season (or have it as an option). I bought the AP last year and played a little of it but honestly it was mostly a waste of my money.

I think their solution now is better, and makes sense with the game pivoting to a F2P system with expansions.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry, if you opted out of the season or a period of time for playing the content you can't claim FOMO like its some sort of trump card.

The world like in reality moves on without you.

fiskyfisko

Mar 23, 2018
I'm still super mad for buying the destiny 2 limited edition. So much money for such a garbage fire, never gonna buy anything from them ever again