• $1 million +

Votes: 390 39.3%

• Total voters

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Maybe $10 million +
I mean one of the reasons I make money is to enjoy luxuries. Removing my ultimate luxury (videogames) defeats the purpose.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Hard decision, but I'd probably take the 10k, even if that's only because I'd be forced to take a break from thinking too much about games lol

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
$100K sounds good enough for me, maybe even 50K.

Not being able to go back to play the games after that gen is over sounds harsh in theory. But let's be honest, I bet over 75% of great next gen games will be ported for next-next gen.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
The "getting paid when the generation ends" bumped it from 100k to a million. If the money was given at the start of the generation, I would've taken 100k and run. I can very easily keep myself busy with other tasks for 6~7 years with a hundred grand.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
I could do it for a relatively low price among those listed, so 10k or 50k but I want the money right now and not at the end of the generation because the future is always uncertain.

I may actually have time to finish to play all those Steam games which came from bundles or old games in general, do more gardening, play D&D, finally paint an entire W40k army and the like.
Seems doable.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like a some of you are stuck on Rule 2 (PC games and games for current gen consoles count if they're released after the cutoff date).

The point of the question is not to be logically consistent with whatever your definition of next gen is, it is to gauge how much you value playing contemporary games are - I just used the next gen moniker because it was most convenient and applied it as a time frame. It wouldn't be much of a question if I asked - "How much money would I need to give you to sit out the next console generation, but you can play all the PC games you want?" Shit, you'd likely have access to 90% of AAA titles released just by sticking to PC. Where's the fun in answering a question like that?

PC is a mess. You can leave it out without making an arbitrary cutoff for consoles like that. So if somebody releases one of those new retro games like you see on SNES, Dreamcast, and other retro systems, that's off limits too? That's stretching the definition of "contemporary" really thin.

And if you want to ask about contemporary games, why bring the next gen transition into it? That's a different question and when we have stuff like timed exclusives and late ports, you get weird things like the exact same game being cut off on some platforms but not on others. Going by generations instead of release dates makes it a lot more clear cut. Then you're not only cutting off dates, you're limiting actual features. No new CPUs and GPUs, no next gen SSDs, no new controllers or any other changes that next gen makes.

"How much money do you need to keep all your PS4 and other current gen games except the ones released after next gen launches?" doesn't make a lot of sense either. There's not really going to be a huge difference between a PS4 game released this year and next year. Just look at late localizations. Ys 9 was a 2019 game in Japan, but the localized release is 2021. There aren't going to be any huge differences between the PS4 releases other than the language.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people willing to pass up on $100k is insane. You either a) haven't worked, b) don't have any bills or c) are filthy rich because acquiring a sudden, tax free $100k doesn't just happen.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If I'm getting the money at the end of the generation, and I'm still not allowed to go back and play that generation, how is that rule being enforced?

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
$10,000 is chump change. That is only 1250 a year. If you get paid up front, 50k is where I think about it. The wife and I are saving up for a down payment for a house and we'd love to have around 20% if at all possible. That would get us there real fast. I'd be bummed though. I have the backlog that I could actually still do a lot of gaming during that time but I would be sad missing out on the new stuff. Especially Halo.

Mazzo

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
10k to spend the following years playing my backlog? could think of worse things

edit: nevermind, those rules are too stressful

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I'd easily take the minimum in that poll

I buy fewer than ten games most years and a good chunk of them are old games I missed out on anyway

I could easily sit out a whole generation and just catch up on old classics

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Never being able to go back after the fact makes it way worse. I'd probably need at least 200k to consider it.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way I'd do this for under a million.

4) The generation will be considered ended when the PS6/XBOX2 generation of consoles are released. At that point, you can resume buying contemporary games, you cannot however go back and explore what you missed unless they port the game over to the next generation.
Maybe this was already answered (haven't read the whole thread yet), but how does that work when games will likely be forward compatible from here on out and won't need "ports". Do next gen updates count like what they're planning on for Cyberpunk?

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, the money isn't even given to me until the end of the generation? Fuck that. If you're giving me the money now then cool but if I have to wait years before I benefit just fuck that. We're looking at like a 10 year generation here. I could be dead by then.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I'd take $50,000 if I could break your rule and play the games in the generation after the next generation is out.

Since I can't, I'd probably need like $500,000. I'm only 28 now, but I could seriously think about living very modestly and retiring at like 40 or 45-years old with that money plus what I could save in the next 12 years (and offset through purchase of a home with the money).