Votes: 188 19.0%
  • $100,000+

Votes: 214 21.6%
  • $1 million +

Votes: 390 39.3%

• Total voters

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Yeah 1 mil. If someone wants to take away my main hobby for such a long period of time, I better be set for a good portion of my life lol. Not sure I'd even take 100k tbh. It really needs to be enough to pay off a mortgage. Like one of my most hated things is like rn I have exams coming up in a few weeks so I have to hold off on new stuff until they're done and I just find that ridiculously painful lol.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I already pretty much only play games from 1995 so I'd do it for free. But since that's not an option - $10k.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
You couldn't play any new Switch game that launches after November this year.

What about service games? Can you continue to play games that will continue to see updates for years to come, OP?
I mean that's not fair. Any Switch game that releases the next few years isn't 'next gen' by any definition.

As for your second question, I assume any gas game that releases for any current console doesn't count either since it's still a current console and not next Gen.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's not fair. Any Switch game that releases the next few years isn't 'next gen' by any definition.

As for your second question, I assume any gas game that releases for any current console doesn't count either since it's still a current console and not next Gen.
But that's OP's rule 2.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
50k pays off my student loans and lets me pocket a good chunk, which I'd probably start as a down payment saving for a house. 50k would work.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're being offered not to play video games beyond 2020 and you're complaining about fair?

hersheyfan

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
100k would be OK for me. I have a gigantic backlog, so as long as I have assurances that the 100K would actually be credited to me at the end of the generation I would do it. The extra savings every month from being forced to not buy any new games would also be an awesome side effect, I'd be rolling in cash by the end of the gen as I don't really have any other major hobbies that cost a lot of money.

That said, I would assume that this "deal" would allow for hardware replacement in case shit breaks down. Like, if my PS4 broke down late into the gen, or my PC's GPU suddenly gave out, I should still be able to get new hardware to replace as long as I stick exclusively to playing last-generation games. If that's off the table, then no deal haha.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100k would be OK for me. I have a gigantic backlog, so as long as I have assurances that the 100K would actually be credited to me at the end of the generation I would do it. The extra savings every month from being forced to not buy any new games would also be an awesome side effect, I'd be rolling in cash by the end of the gen as I don't really have any other major hobbies that cost a lot of money.

That said, I would assume that this "deal" would allow for hardware replacement in case shit breaks down. Like, if my PS4 broke down late into the gen, or my PC's GPU suddenly gave out, I should still be able to get new hardware to replace as long as I stick exclusively to playing last-generation games. If that's off the table, then no deal haha.

Yeah, buying old hardware is fine. If you wanna buy a used Xbox360 or new Switch, it's fine. It just can't be an iteration of the console released post November 2020 which looks like the starting date for the next generation. Like you wouldn't be allowed to buy a Switch Slim or a Special Pokemon Branded Switch.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, buying old hardware is fine. If you wanna buy a used Xbox360 or new Switch, it's fine. It just can't be an iteration of the console released post November 2020 which looks like the starting date for the next generation. Like you wouldn't be allowed to buy a Switch Slim or a Special Pokemon Branded Switch.
The hardware rule should really only be if you get a new form factor or significant performance increase. A new Special Edition Switch where it's just a paintjob should be allowed.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I voted for 1 million + but in reality I'd probably take the amount remaining on my mortgage. I've still got that many current and last gen games to play that I probably wouldn't miss next gen anyway.

Edit - I didn't see your last caveat. Hell no I want it up front, not in 7 years thanks!

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked that in an enthusiast gaming forum a lot of people would do that for 10k. I would totally take the 1 million, but 10k is just not a lot of money these days. What would you do with that? Get a used car? Pay off your credit card debt? Is that worth not playing any new games for 6-8 years?

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
The question is so obviously console-centric that I feel kind of insulted.

What does this even mean for a PC gamer?

Airi

Oct 27, 2017
This is hard. I was going to say enough to cover a college degree and fund some other hobbies to make use of this time away from gaming, but if the payment doesn't come until the generation ends, that doesn't work out as well.

hersheyfan

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
The hardware rule should really only be if you get a new form factor or significant performance increase. A new Special Edition Switch where it's just a paintjob should be allowed.
Yeah, but how would that work if I can't get an equivalent replacement? Like in my example, my PS4 breaks late in the gen. It's possible that PS4s will have stopped production by then. Under the rules, can I get a PS5 with BC if I'm only limited to playing PS4 games on it?

The question is so obviously console-centric that I feel kind of insulted.

What does this even mean for a PC gamer?
I'm a PC gamer too, and I would assume it means no buying new hardware (CPU, GPU, etc.) or games that released after the "next gen" cutoff.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
You say don't worry about the logistics but I think the matter a lot here. Can't you physicaly do it even if you try or do you just not get the money if you mess up somewhere?

In the second case rule 4 makes it realy complicated because it affects what you have to do after you already have the money. Do you have to pay it back if you mess up there?

Thinking about rule 4 where you can't play games from ps5 generation even after the time is over. Do this apply to the other rules as well where you still aren't even allowed to talk about it? Especialy if you have to say you don't play mordern video games in 40 years if you talk about ps5 games.

Rule 4 makes pc gaming kind of messy as well, for example if one of the forbidden games is on sale after the time is over and you buy it by accident would you have to pay the money back?

The other thing is what if someone tells you that a game has something bigoted in it and one of your friends is hurt by it do you still have to say you don't play mordern video games? Because saying that in this situation would be realy realy bad. And would be like "why does this matter for what we are talking about".

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you gave me the 10k upfront I'd do it in a heartbeat. 7 years from now though... eh. Not that appealing if I don't get the benefits of it until that much later. 100k would do.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys so so everyone is aware for those of you saying 10-20k...

You're getting the money in a lump sum at the end. Say the next generation lasts 10 years, that's only an extra $1-2k a year. For you to save up that much, that's only, $85-170 a month. That's like 2.5-5% of your take home pay every month for 10 years assuming you make $40,000 usd a year. That's not as much as you think. You'd probably save up that money on your own sitting out next Gen and not buying any games.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
$500k up front or $1mil at the end of the gen. Sure why not. I can finally play FF14 and have a whole selection of current gen sims to keep me occupied.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. I've got plenty in my backlog to keep me occupied. I'd do it for 10K easy.

TwoPikachus

Nov 15, 2018
With the knowledge I have of what's coming right now, I'd do it for a million. Though I'd hate to miss out on the new Zelda.

If a new banjo game comes out during this period I will never forgive you. Why is it stipulated that we can't come back to these games after the generation ends? How you gonna stop me from buying those games on Steam in 2030? :D

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Like 8 whole years of never playing a new game regardless of what it is. Could literally be my dream game of all time. And all my friends would be playing PS5, and gaming is my primary hobby.... would be tough. On the other hand I could patch up my gaming blind spots, explore some obscure older shit.

Honestly feel the social aspect with my friends would be the hardest part. It would have a decent impact on my life, so the amount of money would have to have a decent impact on my life as well to make it worth it. $1M is too extreme. I'd take the $100K.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So replaying missed out games on PS6 is legit? Does backwardcompatibility count as ports? What about PC? Then 100.000. I could just focus on my backlog for a long time and replay essential games on PS6/PC later.

Otherwise 1.000.000, lol.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
+1mil.

It isnt even about the games. Youre basically banning me from doing something for 10 years. So im essentially in "jail" and cant do a thing because someone told me to. Yea im not taking anything less than the maximum amount offered.

Udreif

May 29, 2020
You're telling me in this hypothetical I still have to work my ass off to pay rent through the generation without having access to my favorite hobby to make things better? Hell no.

Voted for 1mil before reading that but I'm not sure I'd even take that, specially if it means I miss EldenRing 1,2 and 3

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a PC gamer too, and I would assume it means no buying new hardware (CPU, GPU, etc.) or games that released after the "next gen" cutoff.
That makes absolutely no sense. Even games that would run trivially on last-gen consoles? How are you gonna just blanket categorize everything released after a certain date as "next-gen" when "next-gen" has never been used in that fashion?

Certainly no one is gonna consider any sprite-based 2D game released in 2021 "next-gen"; doubly so if it's only released on PC because it's a low-budget indie game. PC basically ends up getting triple-penalized here because it has a significantly higher overall volume of releases and most of them are lower-budget indie games with long tails and service lifespans.

This whole exercise simply does not sit right with me. I'd easily refuse this for the offered amounts of money. No, thanks.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
10k easy. I'll use that money to fuel other interests instead.

Also the premise is fine. Just don't play games after the PS5/XSX releases until PS6/XSX2. It's not that hard to understand.

Oct 25, 2017
Enough to finish paying off my house, so around 200k

I'm pretty sure I'd do it for 100k to be honest. That's just too much money that I could get a lot done with. And my backlog is so massive that I'd for sure be able to keep myself entertained. Just sucks to not be able to go back even once the gen ends. If it wasn't for that point, I'd easily do it for 50k....likely less.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gimme dat 1 mil, especially if I can't go back and play what I missed.

Last edited:

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
At least 100k. I would buy my parents a house for that kind of money. It would suck not be able to play the newest games, but i could entertain me somehow else. I think.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That makes absolutely no sense. Even games that would run trivially on last-gen consoles? How are you gonna just blanket categorize everything released after a certain date as "next-gen" when "next-gen" has never been used in that fashion?

Certainly no one is gonna consider any sprite-based 2D game released in 2021 "next-gen"; doubly so if it's only released on PC because it's a low-budget indie game. PC basically ends up getting triple-penalized here because it has a significantly higher overall volume of releases and most of them are lower-budget indie games with long tails and service lifespans.

This whole exercise simply does not sit right with me. I'd easily refuse this for the offered amounts of money. No, thanks.

It's "unfair" but it wouldn't be much of a challenge if I gave everyone a convenient out of playing modern PC games. Like if Witcher 4 came out sometime during the 2020's lets say, it would presumably be released on all the major platforms. How hard would it be to just be like "Lol, PC games don't count, I'll just buy a GTX 4080TI and play it on PC." The whole point of the question is to see how dedicated to the hobby people are.