Status
Not open for further replies.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I approach threads from the opposite direction. Blocking threads just because it's about something that doesn't interest me seems like a much worse time than just curating my Watch list of threads I follow.

But I also think this forum would be a much less interesting place if all I saw were things I was already interested in. I'm here to talk to people and see what others have to say about stuff. I'm not here to just post my opinion on something I already know all about and then move on.

But this is also the forum where I was dogpiled for saying I hadn't seen a show before in a thread about it that was interesting, because people felt it wasn't worth me saying that. So I do think there is some fundamental disconnect between why I'm here and why some others are here.
Well it's not like I have an automatic filter going. I'm still looking at each thread title as I go, and there are plenty of times I'll see something new and give it a look. If anything, my process makes me MORE likely to look at new threads, because I gotta decide if I wanna ignore or not (mostly for trailer/announcement threads). But at the same time, I'm just never gonna go into a Call of Duty or "what did you think of anime character doing thing" thread.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Well it's not like I have an automatic filter going. I'm still looking at each thread title as I go, and there are plenty of times I'll see something new and give it a look. If anything, my process makes me MORE likely to look at new threads, because I gotta decide if I wanna ignore or not (mostly for trailer/announcement threads). But at the same time, I'm just never gonna go into a Call of Duty or "what did you think of anime character doing thing" thread.
I mean my post wasn't saying you're wrong to block threads, it's just something I find wild and counter to what I personally enjoy about forums, specifically the people with thousands of blocked threads.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
45 users, only 22 of which are active anymore. Lots of deleted and perm'd. Funny how that works.

248 threads. Star Wars spam got me using the ignore thread feature apparently, around fall 2019.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
42 users, 2500 threads.

There were a few years there when every single day there were DOZENS of Star Wars threads clogging up page 1 of OT at the same time, each one dumber and more pointless than the next. And as soon as I ignored all of them, 12 different ones would be there the next day.

Pretty much everything I have on ignore is Star Wars, Marvel or Anime related.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
0 Users
25 Threads

Some of yall are wild. Legitimately don't get the point of being in a discussion forum if you try and block every single person you disagree with once or thread that isn't to your exact taste. It's like the people who put threads on Watch and then get annoyed when people talk in it rather than it just being updated for news.
Just off the front page, I don't care about: MLB, Football, NBA, F1, Ru Paul's Drag Race, V Tubers, NFL, Eurovision, Elon Musk's bullshit, or Maga assholes.

What benefit do I get for keeping those on my feed and scrolling past them?

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
470 users, 17,017 threads.

I'm not surprised it's that high, I ignore things all the time. Things that could be blog posts (I don't like ___), expectation/prediction threads, all anime and Star Wars and all of that, bad news for the sake of bad news. It has made it much more enjoyable.

If I could get a better source of gaming news in one place, I'd use that. But here we are.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Just off the front page, I don't care about: MLB, Football, NBA, F1, Ru Paul's Drag Race, V Tubers, NFL, Eurovision, Elon Musk's bullshit, or Maga assholes.

What benefit do I get for keeping those on my feed and scrolling past them?
I don't know. I could tell you what benefit I would get from threads I'm not already previously interested in. But you aren't me. I think some of you took my post to be some kind of attack. That's not what I was doing.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
No users and I only ignore spoiler threads so I don't accidentally click on them like I almost did with a few film/book/game spoiler threads. But I unignore them when I've finished said piece of media.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I mean my post wasn't saying you're wrong to block threads, it's just something I find wild and counter to what I personally enjoy about forums, specifically the people with thousands of blocked threads.
Oh sure, and I'm not trying to convince you to start or anything. I'm just saying that I don't only see the stuff I'm already interested in, like your second paragraph suggested. I still see plenty of new and different things. I just then decide if I want to keep seeing those things or not.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure. Maybe ignored one thread. I just scroll what I don't like. This place can be weird with that. I have replies from threads where I no longer want to engage. I just ignore the notification. Again, this place can be weird.

Jan 29, 2018
2292 threads. Wow. I wonder if that includes threads hidden due to ignored tags (that no one seems to use)? I do manually ignore a lot of threads though.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Zero users, hundreds of threads. Usually topics I just don't want to even topically read about, nothing against the users that started them.

Oct 25, 2017
Users who are just overly negative about everything.
I have zero users blocked but I'm close to starting for this reason. Just consistently certain posters gunk up threads about something they hate in every single thread like an obsession to spout the same points every time. Exhausting and I'm having less and less patience for negativity these days.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
For me it's almost never "things I don't agree with". Things I don't agree with are often very interesting.

Some things aren't interesting. Seeing them every day is a waste of my time. I can understand people who want an overview of what's "trending" even when they don't click on it, but that's not me.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Probably half of the people I have on ignore are banned, many of those perma I'm sure. Maybe I should go through the list. or maybe not because who cares. I have 75 threads on ignore. I don't use that feature very often I am actually surprised it is even that high. Mostly I use it if I worry I might get too heated and risk a ban.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Users (161) Forums (0) Threads (3431)

Cot dayum I didnt realize I had that many threads on ignore. It makes sense tho because along with threads I know will have weird posts I also just like cleaning up the first page, keeping topics I'm interested in near the top.

The users tho? A good chunk are banned, were permanently banned or asked their accounts to be deleted...lol.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
1 user. They mentioned their profession once and I decided I didn't want to hear their opinion on anything lol. Otherwise I find it better to have as many users not on ignore as possible. I'm not perfect about practicing what I preach, but I try to just read and not engage with those I would *consider* putting on ignore.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Zero people and zero threads. Even people I don't necessarily like I still won't ignore because everyone has something that they can contribute or that I can learn something from. If you put yourself in a bubble avoiding things you don't agree with you will never grow as a person.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
53 users, 31 are currently banned. Went through a few of the others, 10ish haven't posted in over a year so I assume they caught a short term ban and never came back.

Ché

Oct 14, 2022
Canada
1 user. They mentioned their profession once and I decided I didn't want to hear their opinion on anything lol. Otherwise I find it better to have as many users not on ignore as possible. I'm not perfect about practicing what I preach, but I try to just read and not engage with those I would *consider* putting on ignore.
What was the profession?

Status
Not open for further replies.