• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which digital 'media subscriptions' do you currently have active?

• Television & film (Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, etc.)

Votes: 1,115 78.4%
  • Game subscription service (Game Pass, EA Access, PS Now, etc.)

Votes: 534 37.6%
  • Music streaming (Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc.)

Votes: 729 51.3%
  • Gaming infrastructure (PS+, Xbox Live, Nintendo Online, etc.)

Votes: 1,041 73.2%
  • Online media video content (Twitch sub, Patreon, Giant Bomb, etc.)

Votes: 330 23.2%
  • Other (Digital newspapers, digital magazines, Apple News+, paid newspapers, etc.)

Votes: 170 12.0%
  • None

Votes: 98 6.9%

• Total voters
Nov 4, 2017
Much better kids selection than Netflix, Disney, Showtime shows... But most importantly an endless Seinfeld channel.
Nice, Seinfeld is always a good get. The Disney stuff is good too. My daughter is only 2 at the moment so we don't let her watch much TV, but I imagine when she's older we'd want that Disney content.

Also "No Activity" is good for a chuckle.

Nov 8, 2017
  • How many subs do you have active at the moment?
  • How much do you pay per month for these services?
  • Which services are you subscribed to?
  • And most importantly, how do you feel about the amount of subscription services you are subscribed to?

Too many. At least one of each in the poll.

A lot. I can't be bothered to figure it out. My wife and I currently well enough off.

I'm not listing them when on mobile.

I'll sub to something if I use it. I'll sub to more if it's worth it. Yes, I realize I'm the problem.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Xbox Live, Game Pass, PlayStation Plus, Nintendo Online, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, Amazon Music, Youtube TV

...and combined it cost about what cable by itself cost me 10 years ago. So I'm fine with it.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I pay

A third of a Netflix sub at £4 a month.
PS+ yearly, usually get a deal so £30-35 or so.
Just subbed to Amazon Prime for a year, splitting cost so £30.

That is it.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
UFC Fight Pass
DAZN (for "free" UFC PPV's)
WWE Network
Amazon Prime
PS+
Final Fantasy XIV
Patreon
and now AEW PPV's

Some subs will probably go soon because it's getting too crazy, especially now with AEW. WWE is first on the chopping block if they don't improve. I already cut down on Patreon and only use Netflix occasionally. FF XIV is temporal, too. Amazon I need mainly for free shipping for the family business and for PS+ I always buy a year on top when it's really super cheap.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My monthly subs are about $100 a month, I don't count things I buy a year at a time though (PS+, Nintendo Online, The Athletic)

I'm easy though, as long as Hulu/Netflix have one thing I care about I'll keep subbing.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
40€ a month and it covers all of my media consumption.

Subs are life for me.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Right now I have an active Nintendo Online, Gamepass, FF14, and Spotify sub. I just use my parents Netflix and Hulu, but I will be getting Disney+. Overall not bad I think. I definitely use them and get value from them all. I let my PS+ sub laps a while ago because ain't nothing there for me.

Overall I'm not paying a lot for them. I pay $5 for Spotify, $12 for FF14, and penny's for Gamepass and Nintendo Online technically monthly.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Only PS+, and that's only on sale yearly.

No other subs, don't have a TV and we're totally fine with it. Still got to watch prime, netflix etc via trials and promos. Most of my media consumption is through youtube.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Only XBL and Gamepass, which basically cost me nothing thanks to the latest XBL to Gamepass ultimate conversion program.

I'm usually pretty conscious about subscriptions since it's easy to lose track of them.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
We have Amazon video simply because it's free with Prime. Personally I wouldn't pay for it on it's own.

Netflix, we bum the password off a friend's account. $0.

Game Pass Ultimate, the $1 trial right now. Then I've got some free months thanks to AMD.

Honestly the only sub I'd pay for is Netflix. I feel it's worth the money. Game Pass is also excellent, and something I may eventually sub for here and there.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Spotify
NYT
WaPo
Easy Allies Patreon

I might opt for YouTube Premium. I had their trial a year ago; being able to close the app but still have audio was fantastic.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Only 1, Game Pass Ultimate. I don't watch TV (this includes Netflix and the like) and I think I have seen maybe 8 movies in a theater in my nearly 30 years of existing and none within the last 12 years. Games (board and otherwise) and books are my entertainment mediums of choice. If there is a movie that I think is interesting, I will acquire it on Bluray when it is available. I have a Spotify account, but I don't pay for it as my brother has a family plan for him and his wife and added me to it.

And I did the $1 conversion when it became available to Insiders, I am good till like 2022 for like $60 total.

I only do a 1 month Prime membership as needed for when I know I am going to be buying a lot of stuff from Amazon within a short amount of time.

Oct 27, 2017
Under the bed
Netflix 4k: $16/mo
Gamepass Ultimate: $15/mo (paid through 2022 through the recent consolidation promo, actually paid <$5/mo)
PS+: $60/yr (buy subs on sale for no more than $40/yr)
Hulu: $1/mo (promo for one year at this price, will cancel before the year is up)
Amazon Prime: $120/yr
Nintendo Online: $35/yr

Actual cost broken down per month: $37/mo

When the Gamepass Ultimate is paid at actual cost starting in June 2022 it will be more, but still worth it to me. Hope Netflix and Prime stop increasing prices, it's getting obnoxious. I may cancel Prime or Netflix for Disney+ this fall. I have three young children, so it would make sense.

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just Netflix and PS Plus. Not very fond of having a bunch of subscription services that I have to keep up with. These two pretty much cover all my needs. I rarely watch Netflix outside of anything Netflix exclusive animes or movies tho.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJPW World
DDT Universe
Spotify
Netflix
Crunchyroll
Gamepass
Nintendo shitty Online
Xbox Live Gold
Giant Bomb Premium

It's honestly too much

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix- $13 (not that I use it but my siblings will kill me if I drop it)
AMC AList- $22
PS Vue- $55 (looking at going back to Sling)
ESPN+- $5
Dazn- $10
Xbox Gamepass PC- $5

Annual
Nintendo Switch online- $7
EA Orign- $30

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll, Funimation and PS+.
Pretty hefty but I get PS+ for cheap every year and I do the yearly option for Crunchyroll and Funi so I save like $3 on each for every month.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
I'm surprised the game subs is only at 40%, would have expected more on an enthusiast forum

Mine are

Netflix
Amazon Prime (Includes Prime Video)
SlingTV
Game Pass PC

I also use Humble Bundle on and off. Depends on the month.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
  • Netflix via family (but eventually, I'll have to pay up)
  • Spotify via family (probably won't get this when the current family plan ends)
  • Xbox Live Gold (amazing Costco deal where Xbox Live was about $50 CAD for 12 months and came with $45 CAD Xbox Live credit)
  • GamePass (3 years for $1 CAD via merge to GamePass Ultimate; I don't use this much, right now)
  • Nothing else, yet. I don't really like most subscriptions.
  • I used to have PS+ before Xbox Live Gold.

Oct 25, 2017
I have TV with Sling, Netflix, ESPN+, and Hulu, and I have PS+ and NSO.

I'd consider buying access to Game Pass if it found its way onto Switch because it would be worth it for having those games streamable off-TV in my house.

I don't pay regularly for news, but I do give donations regularly to The Guardian in the UK.

I keep meaning to buy a GB Premium sub for a month as a thanks to GB for their free content that I do use (basically the Giant Bombcast that I listen to via Stitcher and Ranking of Fighters via their YouTube channel). That's the only media content that I would probably pay for that I can think of off-hand, though I've given spot donations to a couple of podcasters who I like.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Netflix Premium - £11.99
Amazon Prime - £7.99
Spotify Family - £14.99
PlayStation Plus - £4.17
Xbox Live Gold - £4.17
Game Pass - £7.99
UK TV Licence - £12.88
Total Per Month: £64.18

Though in reality it's less with discounts, for example I pay around £2.90 per month for PS Plus, and upgraded to Game Pass Ultimate using the promotion exploit, making it just £3 a month for both Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold.

That said, I think I'm done with subscriptions and can't imagine paying for or adding any more, unless Sony did something similar to Game Pass, but even then, only if their exclusives were there day one. This is on top of Internet, mobile bills etc, which also add up to maybe an additional £50 a month on top.

Last edited:

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Nintendo Switch Online and Netflix are the only big ones. I also support a couple of people on Twitch and Patreon.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I ditched my PS+ and am decided not to get Nintendo Online because I got sick of paying for the right to borrow games (potentially temporarily) and play online (And Nintendo's online on Switch is shit - Splatoon friend partying anyone?). I went and got a PC instead to avoid all that shit.

I have one movie service and one music service and that's it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And I think I played 30 minutes of of Red Dead Online in my year of owning PS+.

Complete waste of $40 so far 😂

What about the free* (*more like part of the fee) monthly games? Detroit, Heavy Rain, Overcooked, Modern Warfare Remastered, For Honor, Hitman, What Remains of Edith Finch, OnRush, Yakuza Kiwami, Destiny 2, Mafia III, XCOM II, Mad Max, Rayman Legends, Bloodborne, RiME etc. There's been some pretty decent stuff here and there.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix
Hulu
Xbox Gamepass Ultimate
PlayStation Plus
VivePort Infinity
Origin Access Premier
Spotify
Nintendo Online

I feel like they save me a lot of money but when I typed out the list I didn't feel so sure anymore...

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PSN - $3.33
Switch Online $2.91
Prime $12.99
Spotify - free

$19.23 total. Get on my level

Last edited:

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Waaay too many:
  • XBox GamePass Ultimate (have 1.5 months left, not sure if I'll renew)
  • PS+ (annually)
  • Nintendo Online (annually)
  • Giant Bomb (annually)
  • Netflix (monthly)
  • Adobe Creative Cloud (monthly)
  • YNAB (annually)
  • Backblaze (annually)
  • 10% Happier (annually)
  • Amazon Prime (annually)
  • iCloud (monthly)
  • G Suite (monthly)
Probably missing a couple, and I'm excluding some yearly costs like website domains and hosting as I don't necessarily see them as subscriptions, even though they act the same. I sporadically might subscribe to places like Lynda or dating sites for a month here and there, but not too often.

Next gen, I'm looking to cut one console out of my life. Not sure if it will be Playstation or XBox.

RobertM

Oct 31, 2017
PS plus: $3.33
Spotify: $9.99
EA access: $2.5
Amazon Prime: $6.49
Total a month: $22.31

Not bad at all ( I divided yearly subscription )

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Currently
TV: Prime, Hulu.
Music: Prime music (free version)
Gaming: Nintendo Switch Online

In the past I've used PSN, XBLG, HBO, CBS All Access, Netflix, Funimation, Crunchyroll, Direct Now, PS Vue.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo Online and that's all. I paid for one year to play MH online. I don't plan on renewing my subscription.

I tend to avoid having too many subscriptions at the same time. I wouldn't have the time to rentabilize them all anyway, and I hate wasted money.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Currently I have
  • Xbox Ultimate up to some time in 2020
  • Netflix
  • Nintendo Online (thanks to my brother)
  • Crunchyroll
  • Amazon Prime
  • Spotify
All of them used by 2+ people for the exception of the Xbox stuff as thats only for me.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Just netflix, with sony pushing an amazing single player game initiative lately I feel I dont need to pay for multiplay right now.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Netflix $15.99
Spotify Premium $9.99
Huku (no adds) $11.99
Crunchyroll Premium $59.99/yr
Amazon Prime $119/yr
Funimation $5.99
ESPN+ $4.99

Too much but I needs it.

No gaming subscriptions though. Never.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
xbl, patreon, and i guess game pass ult counts tho that was a 1 time 1$ fee and i won't be renewing after that runs out, just going back to default xbl. if xbox multi ever stops requiring gold, ill cancel that too.

edit: prob just like 20 bucks CAD monthly total

Last edited:

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
Netflix (4K) - $17/mo
Amazon Prime Video -
Hulu (no commercials) - $13/mo
HBO GO via DirecTv Now via AT&T
CBS All Access (no commercials) - $99/year
Xbox Gamepass Ultimate - $15/mo (eventually)
Xbox Gamepass Ultimate - $15/mo (eventually)
EA Access - $30/year
EA Access - $30/year [probably canceling one of these]
Apple Music Family - $15
SiriusXM - $27

Movies and TV shows generally purchased through Vudu

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Canadian Here
Amazon Prime - Yearly sub $79.99
Crunchyroll - Yearly Sub $69.99
Funimation - Yearly Sub $80
Spotify - Monthly Sub $9.99

Could probably do without the amazon prime but I like to have it when I need it + theres some stuff on prime video I watch sometimes. Use everything else almost every day and very satisfied with them