Should tattoos be easily hidden?

• Of course, have you no shame?

• Nah, YOLO

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do I personally care? No. I think tattoos are cool and expressive and make people feel/look more unique and they're fun to compare and talk about.

100% guarantee tho that any professional-level career will be impacted, even if only slightly tho. I know as a doc, if I showed up to an interview with tattoos visible, even tho I'm a pathologist and never see patients, there's a very solid chance it would be counted as a mark against me. Do I think that's logical or fair? Not really, but that's just the current reality, particularly in suburban/rural areas of the US.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
If you have tattoos, you're not welcome in my public bath you filthy Yakuza! Get out!

(leave hands and neck/face alone and go to town is my take).

Speaking of criminals, one of those Yakuza Dragons on your entire body is what I would do if I wanted a tattoo. Go big or go home I say!

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
I work in a government department and plenty of people have visible tattoos. It's not an issue. If you have tattoos you should show them off.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the appeal personally but it is your body do what you want 🤷

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Depends on the content of the tattoo. If you want to have a giant skull with tentacles you might want to put it somewhere you could put a shirt over.

If you have a triforce or something on your wrist nobody but boomers are gonna care.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Not a fan of tattoos personally, but I'm not gonna tell anybody how to live their lives either.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
This forum is gonna be predominantly people who are not just OK with it, but think it's a positive piece of self expression and encourage you. That's how I intuitively feel about it.

You should just probably consider the kind of people you're likely to encounter/depend on in some way, not just now but in the long term, and assess if they will likely feel the same way, or if they don't, whether that could cause a problem for you.

Related: One of my close friends has many visible tattoos and piercings, has since late teens (were now mid 30s). He used to get quite upset when people, in our conservative British small town, would stare at him. While I agreed they shouldnt do that, my sympathy was tempered by the fact that: hes made those cosmetic adjustments precisely so he will stand out, draw attention. Cant have your cake and eat it in that regard.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I think face/neck tattoos look hideous personally but I also don't care what people choose to do with their own skin

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
I have 4 tattoos right now and I plan on getting more.

3 of them are visible, and I haven't yet had any issue because of that at work or otherwise.

Mar 3, 2018
I have face tattoos and work as a teacher and about to get my masters in child development and mental health. Haven't had any issues when it comes to career and professional life. Actually get lot of compliments, almost on a daily basis. Sorry for the flex :) hehe

but yeah, haven't had any issues

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
On the hand where its always visible? Nahh, I wouldn't do it.
Leg / Back / Arm tattoos are mostly accepted even by older folk, as long as they can be hidden, but hand tattoos are still regarded as a bit scruffy, and undesirable in higher ranks of the professional ladder.
At the very least, people may think you are the sort of person who makes impulsive and poorly-thought-out life decisions. At worst, well, lets not go into the worst that I've heard people say about tattooed folk.

Just get the design done somewhere you can hide it. You have plenty of skin left surely?

Oct 27, 2017
As part of my overall outlook that people should just leave each other be, and that there is as little place for this sort of judgement in 2020 as any other, they're absolutely fine.

Trying to imagine the warped mindset of someone who has come this far through 2020 and still gives a shit about this..

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't have any tattoos and don't plan to get any because I am bland and massively repressed in self-expression and cowardly as fuck about the pain of the procedure of getting tattoos, but let them fly free! They don't bother me on other people.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
"It's 2020 already!". Not here in Japan :x It really depends on where you are.

Personally? I don't care one bit, but I wouldn't get any hand/face/neck tattoos myself, if I ever get a tattoo.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like tattoos, but you have a white collar profession and hand tats will hurt your career. It's not just about being visible, but the location

People say oh it's 2020 only boomers care, but who do y'all think are hiring accountants?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
People can do whatever they want with their bodies and they shouldn't have to worry about not being able to find work because of how they choose to express themselves.

Personally though, I don't like tattoos. They gross me out and I can't explain why. I wasn't raised by old-fashioned prudes or anything, I've just always thought clear skin looked the best. It would be difficult for me to be attracted to someone who has them.

Regarding the OP, I really don't think it's a good idea even putting my biases aside.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't bother me in the least. I have two myself and I'd love to get more (I've been telling myself "as soon as I lose some weight" for a decade though, so I don't know if "more" will ever be on the horizon).
I can't even say something like "face tattoos are always trashy" like some people here are though because there are plenty of people from the Pacific Islands or parts thereabouts who have tattoos on there faces that are done in the style that is traditional to their people and they look badass.
It always depends on the tattoo itself, but I'm generally not gonna judge anyone over what they get or where unless it is some related to white supremacy or gang-related or anything like that.

But yeah, "face tattoos are always trashy/ugly?" I can't find anything trashy or ugly about something like this:

Last edited:

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I know of a few instances where people are passed over for jobs as a result of them> is that exactly legal? no. Is it still happening? absolutely.
Why would that ever be illegal? Immoral, maybe. Speaking as a former employment lawyer, I'm interested if there actually are any jurisdictions where this would be unlawful.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with 0 tattoos, I would never want to work somewhere where I couldn't get a job due to having one.