Should tattoos be easily hidden?

• Of course, have you no shame?

• Nah, YOLO

Results are only viewable after voting.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting a quarter sleeve, but I'm debating on whether I want some forearm bands. For jobs where it will matter, I'll probably wear a long sleeve shirt to hide the bands.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't care about tattoos being visable or not but I have had jobs where they were not allowed to be visible.

If you want to be employed by someone I would never get a visible one because people do judge them and it is against some company rules.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
do you have many other tattoos OP? Most artists won't do hand or face unless you're absolutely covered and know you're commited. They call them 'jobstoppers' in the shop.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
why be a judgemental creep? it's their skin.

as long as it's not a goddamn swastika or some shit I don't care.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a non creepy way to say I always thought women look amazing with tattoos?

Shit..already said it out loud.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
5-10 years ago it may have been considered more necessary in a professional environment.. I think it's largely a non-issue these days. There will still be some older folks turned off by it though.

My actual tattoo idea, I guess
OP
OP
Yasuke

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
what tattoos are you planning to get OP?

Guess here's as good a place as any to see what people think of it.

I'd like to have an acoustic guitar partially designed on the backs of each of my hands. I imagine it starting with a bisected sound hole near my wrist, and having the strings extend up (I'm undecided on how far) towards my fingers. I'd like the same design on each hand, with the only difference being that the diagram on my left hand will denote a certain chord (representative of my first initial), and the one on my right another (for my last initial).

I've started learning guitar this year, and I just really love music in general, so it seems like a neat idea. And I've always liked tats of names/initials on others and am glad to have thought up my own spin on the concept.

What do y'all think?

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As an individual I kind of like the idea of an inner thigh tattoo that only I and the people I 'know' (in the biblical sense) would know about.

But yolo. Obviously the content of the tattoo matters but things don't follow hard and fast rules. I'm sure I've even seen a handful of face tattoos that I thought were unambiguously neat.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
If I Pretty much owned any non service industry place and you are client facing I'm not hiring you with neck and face tats.. Call me predudice For questioning your decision making. When you do that you already cut yourself out of lots of jobs willingly.

Face and neck tats are not the norm, though. That I understand. I mean simple, smaller tats that aren't encroaching onto ones face. At that point, it's like alright, let's dial it back. However, if it's subtle and tasteful, and in now way am I beaten over the head with EDGE, then it's not the serious.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Face and neck tats are not the norm, though. That I understand. I mean simple, smaller tats that aren't encroaching onto ones face. At that point, it's like alright, let's dial it back. However, if it's subtle and tasteful, and in now way am I beaten over the head with EDGE, then it's not the serious.

There are a lot of people coming in here talking about face tattoos but man those are just not even common at all. I'd say less common than even half sleeves.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
There are a lot of people coming in here talking about face tattoos but man those are just not even common at all. I'd say less common than even half sleeves.

Right, exactly, I wrote that original post of mine with more subtle tats in mind that tend to have a stigma around them, but they are far from obtrusive, in your face, etc. To be prejudiced off of a tat or two that's more subtle and chilled out is over the top.

Dec 31, 2017
Don't really care about visibility, unless it's something real inappropriate/ridiculous and you're in a professional setting.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to say but you will not be hired at my company, the National Institute for Conservative Family Values, if you have a visible tattoo

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Speaking in the most general sense, OP, it's all about the content of the tattoo. If you've got a naked mermaid being railed by the tentacles of a giant squid or something tone-deaf like an AR-15 in a visible location, you have no one but yourself to blame for people thinking poorly of you. As long as it's tasteful, my response is typically "meh".

And if it's a hate symbol, it shouldn't be anywhere on your damn body.

But we still live in a world controlled by boomers (and in your particular circumstance, white boomers), so YMMV when it comes to what employers will and will not accept.
Cuz let's be clear, at least a fair number (probably more) of the people who are all "my employer was cool with it, I say you should go for it" are white folks whose privilege makes them forget how social stigmas like the tattoo stigma may be exponentially (and unfairly) compounded by your race.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I'm not a prude, but other people are, including people who make hiring decisions for corporations. As sad as it is, there is still a "job stopper" factor to hand tattoos, neck tattoos, and face tattoos. If you're good with taking that risk, then go for it. Who cares what the general public thinks of your ink? Fuck anybody who's got a problem with you.

Oct 25, 2017
Getting always visible hand and neck tattoos [though minimally visible, and very tasteful] was one of the best decisions I ever made.

But, I don't work in an office or traditional work environment where they would subject me to judgment.

Being visibly tattooed is an important part of me communicating who I am to the world, so I have zero shame about it.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Guess here's as good a place as any to see what people think of it.

I'd like to have an acoustic guitar partially designed on the backs of each of my hands. I imagine it starting with a bisected sound hole near my wrist, and having the strings extend up (I'm undecided on how far) towards my fingers. I'd like the same design on each hand, with the only difference being that the diagram on my left hand will denote a certain chord (representative of my first initial), and the one on my right another (for my last initial).

I've started learning guitar this year, and I just really love music in general, so it seems like a neat idea. And I've always liked tats of names/initials on others and am glad to have thought up my own spin on the concept.

What do y'all think?

It's up to you what you think, it is your body. A lot of jobs that you would need to see clients you would not be considered with hand tattoos. Almost every company I have worked for has had a no viable tattoo policy, even ones where I did not see clients.

Kohlbiri

Apr 3, 2019
Whoa, is lower back of neck trashy because that's been a place I've considered if I were to get a tattoo lol. Like, low enough that it would be easily covered by something with a collar or slightly covered even if I'm wearing something like a T-shirt.

Honestly never even considered that place for a tattoo until I saw some girl at school with one there and I thought it was cool.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Tattoos have been completely normalized. There is a parlor in my local mall between the candle place and a baby gap. I find it hard to believe anyone cares in the slightest anymore. It also makes me wonder why they're still popular. Counterculture usually swings back the other way, so maybe it will take another decade or so before the youth drop the idea. I guess when Gen X is in their 60's tattoos will be uncool again.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'll never ever get one myself, but I don't find them bad at all unless the design is tasteless.

Well, probably face tattoos, too.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I personally don't care. I think a lot of them are down right stupid looking though.

But like others have said, be prepared to not get job offers by some companies if they're visible while wearing clothing.

My wife and I both work for companies that don't hire based on visible tattoos.

My wife has a few on her back. I don't have any. Don't want any.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I don't personally care, you do you, but in a professional setting they are looked down upon.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just made an appointment for next week to get Ellie's tattoo from The Last of Us: Part II. In a unique style of course so it's not a photo copy. It covers the whole underarm but also proceeds onto the hand, and I'm kind of second guessing now, if I should just end the tattoo at the wrist so I don't lose out on job opportunities in the future. Hmm.

ellie05w4k71.jpg
ellie028ek0o.jpg

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Don't care, it's your body and you're not hurting anyone. Just be mindful that not all employers are as accepting unfortunately.

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weigh your job prospects before tattooing your hands. I have tattoos but mine are easy to cover up. I know a dude who has two hand tattoos and can't find work. If you have a real secure job with no plans on leaving or work in an industry thats cool with it knoc yourself out.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I have never seen a tattoo that looks good. They are universally not something I want to see on anyone. But even with that extreme opinion about them, it isn't any more offensive to me than a bad haircut or an ugly sweater. If it makes you happy, put it wherever you want.

OP
OP
Yasuke

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
It's up to you what you think, it is your body. A lot of jobs that you would need to see clients you would not be considered with hand tattoos. Almost every company I have worked for has had a no viable tattoo policy, even ones where I did not see clients.

Oh, for sure.

But to be honest with you, I feel like the Venn diagram of employers who'll turn me away for hand tattoos overlaps fairly evenly with those who'd find an excuse not to hire me anyways (namely due to my hair and skin tone).

I actually just made an appointment for next week to get Ellie's tattoo from The Last of Us: Part II. In a unique style of course so it's not a photo copy. It covers the whole underarm but also proceeds onto the hand, and I'm kind of second guessing now, if I should just end the tattoo at the wrist so I don't lose out on job opportunities in the future. Hmm.
ellie05w4k71.jpg
ellie028ek0o.jpg

What do you guys think?

This is dope as fuck. Ellie's piece (and journey) is part of what inspired this, actually.

I say go for it. It feels like everyone here agrees to be wary of employers you might wanna work for one day.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I think with few exceptions tattoos are trashy. My opinion shouldn't matter whether it be you getting a tattoo, a prince Albert, huge gauges, whatever. You do you.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I used to find a lot of tattoos off putting. Even corny, especially when they were poorly drawn or had random cartoon characters.

But as more and more people younger than me began entering the workforce with sleeves and even neck tattoos, it just became commonplace and I don't even notice any longer. I see that they're tattoos, but I couldn't tell you what the tattoos are of the many new young people we hired before lockdown because I stopped bothering to even examine them in detail. I'm just like "Oh yea Jane, from accounting, has a neck tattoo. No idea what it is but it's colorful".

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I generally hate tattoos but will have two different reactions. 1) Wow, that's original, elaborate and artistic - well done or 2) Oh look, another brainless millennial idiot gets a meaningless or utterly banal piece of shit just because everyone else is.

Fact is that if you see a load of 20-35 year old Westerners on a beach, anywhere in the world, very few if any, won't have a tattoo. It's so utterly ubiquitous and uninteresting.

/Moaning Gen X

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Couldn't give a shit, honestly I'm glad society in general seems a lot more accepting of facial hair/tattoos in "professional" environments over the last decade or so.