• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
there were a bunch of things that separated the cool kids from the not so cool kids back when I was a kid. Having lunchables for recess, wearing heelys, owning a city scooter etc. etc.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My little bro is 18 and wears crocks and has a hydroflask. I remember using VSCO 4 ish years ago (they had better filters and photo editing features than instagram) but it really blew up.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
My daughter does this, she has the hydroflask, the shell necklaces, the weird little backpack shaped like a square, etc

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Any water bottle where you have to screw off the whole dang bulky top to drink out of is a massive failure. A spill waiting to happen. Never understood the obsession with Nalgene for this reason and now Hydroflask.

My daughter has a straw lid on her hydroflask water bottle. [shrug]

Hydro-Flask-Straw-Lid-Fits-all-Wide-Mouth.jpg

Also, Hydroflask has been around for ten years now.

Last edited:

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Just to be accurate here, this aesthetic is popular (apparently) with people who are about ~15-20 years younger than millennials. In this thread, the dad in the OP is probably a millennial.

That's the joke. By blaming it on millennials I sound even more ancient then by not getting the fad. Old people have been known to falsely not "get" millennials even though its been other generations they've been talking about for a long time already.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hydro flask are expensive for their price, you can get to thermo flask for the price of one and has better reviews than a hydro flask

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I mean honestly they are good products and they look nice. There are much stupider "status symbols" that people could latch onto.

But yeah, the whole "VSCO Girl" thing is completely baffling to me even as someone who is extremely online

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Great quality water bottles from dozens of brands are all over the place these days. Don't get why Hydro Flask is getting all the love from the tweens. What they got that the other nice ones don't have? Featured by some celeb or TV show?

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a middle school teacher I will say that you're saying it wrong, it's Hydro Flasksksksksksksk.

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
In my day It was OP(Ocean Pacific), Lighting Bolt, Vans, Levi's legit shrink to fit 501 jeans, and a Trapper Keeper.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I know most people are just kidding around, but I'm happy that since kids are always going to have a "thing" that sometimes it's something like "drinking water is good." The expensive water bottle being part of it is a small price to pay, imo.

My kid is 7, so he cares about water bottles, but doesn't care what brand, as long as it matches his stuff. He's using a grey one we got at Target this year.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I can't fucking stand the sound of one of these hitting the ground. Good luck getting your class back on task every five minutes when you have multiple PANGs occuring because children cannot be trusted to keep things in a reasonable place.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I mean honestly they are good products and they look nice. There are much stupider "status symbols" that people could latch onto.

But yeah, the whole "VSCO Girl" thing is completely baffling to me even as someone who is extremely online

It's because this isn't an online thing so much as it's a 13 year old thing. I only know about it because I was browsing Tik Tok for a weeks before I raised I was about 15 years older than the average user and decided to stop. In that time I saw many a variation of a teenage girl pretending to shame others at her lunch table for not having a Hydroflask or reusable straws while inserting a sksksk between every three words.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
My wife got me one of these cause I was just drinking out of a gallon jug. It has made drinking all my water easier. I doubt a less expensive one would have been any different but I appreciate that it is nice and durable.

My kid has a cheaper water bottle cause they lose shit sometimes. That said, he is 11 and in no way has water bottle elitism reached his school yet lol

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had hydroflasks for a handful of years now, they're more than just a status symbol. They insulate insanely well for either hot or cold drinks.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember when I went to a new school with all new kids in sixth grade. If you didn't have at least one Coca-Cola shirt you sucked.

yep, mid/late 80s Coca-Cola had a damn clothing line. Not just the licensed t-shirts you see today with brands, it was full on normal "designer" clothing with like a Coca-Cola logo on it. And it was a huge fad.

I came in not even knowing it was a thing. All of a sudden to get these new kids to think i was ok I was begging my mom for Coca-cola shirts and fucking K-Swiss tennis shoes.

Not my best year.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll die if my kids start the sksksksk thing.

My son keeps requesting Tik Tok and I keep telling him to piss off.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Honestly, there are far worse trends than reusable water bottles. Help your daughter ride the wave of the social stratum and save the planet at the same time, boom, everyone is happy.
I've been out of that scene for decades, but I've had a few Hydro Flasks for a couple years now.

mv4k6PR.gif
I literally do this dance every single time that I remember how out of touch I am at twenty-fuckin-five

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also why are we calling foul on people with Hydro Flasks, it wasn't that long ago people were all about YETI bottles/mugs for the same reason. I didn't get that either, drinks don't last long enough with me to no longer be the desired temperature.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Never knew Hydroflasks were a symbol of status lol. I'm just glad I have easy access to well insulated cold water; also helps me regulate my weight when I'm glugging 5x 32oz's of water per day after a heavy meal.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Well when I was in middle School the fad was thongs lol.

The school even had to send out a letter that was basically like "we can't tell you what to buy your kids, but any student with visible thongs are violating dress code and will sent home". Also everyone blamed Sisqo.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I received mine as a gift and was surprised to find out how big of a deal it was for kids(and some adults). My co-worker took a picture of me at my desk and sent it to a shared old work friend and she (and her niece) replied back asking about my water bottle of all things that just happened to be in the shot. I was like, "are these things really that popular?"

They are good bottles though. I have the larger one and it can be a little too heavy at times though when full.