• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
chubigans

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot remember for the life of me a flamethrower in TLOU haha

Also yeah, the Killzone 2 one, not bad not bad.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Only flamethrower I can think of I didn't think was crap was the one in Axiom Verge.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
There is one game that has ever had a good flame thrower -- Zero Tolerance for Sega Genesis. It was a 16-bit first person shooter. All the guns we're pretty weak against the aliens but the flame thrower was OP.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
5b7.gif

TwelveJaguar

Nov 1, 2017
The drakefire gun in vermintide 2, while not a 'good' gun is fun and suitably 'flamethrowery' in effect.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

This is so fucking doofy I can't help but like it.

Also using a flamethrower to ward off the alien in Alien: Isolation is liberating as hell. It's not destructive, but it nonetheless feels great.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I remember the flame thrower in Time Splitters 2 just kept the enemy burning until they were dead if you could get a hit in (same when used against the player) - no need for continuous fire. You could get rid of the fire only with water or a fire extinguisher - it didn't vanish by itself. TS Future Perfect had it as a more standard weapon though, with the fire disappearing shortly afterwards.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like Pyro's Backburner from Team Fortress 2. Sneaking up behind people and crit killing enemies was always satisfying.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Killzone 2 says hi:

Edit: seems it's already been talked about, but the video serves as important reference precisely because it counters what was mentioned as bad practices in having a flamethrower in a game.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
the flamethrower guy in black ops 3 was so OP me and my cousin banned him lol from using it

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
TF2 has the best ones. Crits from behind or air blast to reflect projectiles, there are others but I don't remember them all.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it, I'm not sure I ever even used the flamethrower in The Last of Us across my three playthroughs...

I'd say Alien: Isolation and the Dead Space games have flamethrowers that have pretty good uses.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a pretty satisfying one in Remnant From the Ashes.

The only downside is that it's not neccessarily a game you want anyone all that close to be within flamethrower range.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
What about that Far Cry 3 mission with the weed and dubstep?
I literally posted that seven minutes ago:

www.resetera.com

Hot take (heh): There has never been a decent flamethrower in video games.

This is so fucking doofy I can't help but like it. Also using a flamethrower to ward off the alien in Alien: Isolation is liberating as hell. It's not destructive, but it nonetheless feels great.

And yes, that shit is hilarious and is almost worth the FC games post-2 completely losing what made it great.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
I mean gears was op and had to be nerfed more than once in 2 and judgement.

Lou 1 and 2 are amazing too

Jan 4, 2018
I've actually come to the conclusion recently that I tend towards Flamethrowers and characters who use them in games.

The Ironbreaker in Vermintide 2, Pyro in Team Fortress 2, Firebug in Killing Floor, and Driller in Deep Rock Galactic are all my favorite classes.

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
Alien Isolation felt good, not OP bc fuel management and good sound from release to the Aliens scream which both always delivered.

Edit: Alien Isolation the thread.

Runner up - Far Cry 3 weed mission felt great

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I actually think the better topic would be: "Is there a game where the flamethrower makes you feel as fucked up for using it as you should?"

Because as far as tools of wars go, that is a monstrous one. Murder is such a common verb amongst video games that literally setting people on fire is treated as something that can be cool and excitingly different instead of horrifying and inhumane.

Sorry to be a buzzkill.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Alien: Isolation has an excellent flamethrower because it is able to most effectively repel the alien. You become a fucking superhero once they drop the flamethrower on you. Checkmate.
It was a bit "too" effective in my opinion. Once you got in all the terror of the alien was sucked away since you just needed to do a quick burst and it would scurry away.