• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This count?
Theres more love put in this single sprite than all of EA games from the past 5 years.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
It's the lack of feedback. Like in TLoU ideally, you'd want to use enough ammo until they catch fire but you always end up feeling like you used too much

There shouldn't be any ramp up.

It was a bit "too" effective in my opinion. Once you got in all the terror of the alien was sucked away since you just needed to do a quick burst and it would scurry away.

The difficulty mode they added as DLC (I forget the name) greatly limits its ammo. I don't remember having many opportunities to use it. I get why it's so effective but they probably should have saved it for later in the game. Those middle sections would have been pretty lame if you could just spray a tuft of fire at the Alien and go back about your business.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
Flamethrowers in Valkyria Chronicles got me out of many sticky situations when surrounded by enemies with high defenses.

Dogo Mojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember the flamethrower in Dead space being one of my favorite guns in the game. It's been awhile since I played it though.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So disappointed to see that no one mentioned the flamethrower in Battlefield 1. It's the most fun flamethrower I played with in any videogame.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
TF2 has the best ones. Crits from behind or air blast to reflect projectiles, there are others but I don't remember them all.
I remember Pyro always felt really fun to play as if you don't care about underpowered characters, but was always a balancing nightmare for the devs.

I wonder if they ever found the right balance.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pyro's flamethrower in TF2 is a fantastic ambush weapon and a living nightmare for Spies in the hands of a good Pyro (the afterburn exposes disguised and cloaked spies easily), but it also has the air blast secondary fire, which is way more useful than you'd think - not only can it reflect projectiles to frustrate Soldiers and Demomen, it also can be used to send enemies into death pits and separate medics from their patient to deny them ubercharge.

Don't take my word for it, let LazyPurple show you:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

The flamethrower in this game was great. You couldn't just charge in and use it anywhere, but when you caught a group of enemies turtling and got in there and wiped them out it felt fantastic. As psychotic as that sounds, lol.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
flame1.jpg

Best weapon of the whole game but yeah...it's only in one specific level and you only have 400 ammos.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You know, I kind of agree with you.
It's not that every flamethrower is trash, but so many are disappointing and I can't think of a single one where I'd rather use it over the shotgun.

Plus, ammo is usually too sparse, you can't really enjoy using it, you usually end up saving it for one or two fights.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of TF2 Pyro is having hit sounds turned on and setting the pitch range to absurd levels with tf_dingaling_pitchmaxdmg so it would sound like an orchestra of gong hits when you critted an entire team at once

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno about TF2 guys the lack of feedback compared to regular guns is always a turn-off for me

*turns on hit sounds, proceeds to light half a team on fire*

hohohohohohohooho

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The OP is probably a flamethrower fetishist and we're all just playing into their hands.

I, for one, won't give him the satisfaction.

jvfiC4P.png

I mean technically it's not a flamethrower.

/Diablo 3 Firebats.