Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Probably my favourite Ubi-style open world game. It's got its faults for sure, but the highs are really high and the ranged combat and enemy design is sublime.

If you want to have the most fun (though maybe not be the most optimally effective), use the Shredder weapons. They are an absolute blast.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How do people feel about the combat in HFW? Is it an upgrade? Heard handling mods are missing, which I find a bit worrying. HZD for me is a 10/10 robo-dino combat game with lots of 4-9/10 other aspects and if the game just delivers on that front alone, once more, I'm already happy. Just waiting to hear whether it's a good port or not and I'm likely taking an early dive.
There is a lot more weapon variety in HFW compared to the first one, and the game pushes you to explore those wider options.

If you really like specific things about HZD's combat, you might find that they are de-emphasized here for better or worse, depending on your tastes.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed my play through on my PS5.. looking forward to my PC run.. Pre loaded and ready to go.

Deleted member 15471

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 9, 2023
Super excited for this. I'm currently playing Yakuza 0 on my PC, but once I'm finished with that I'll be playing this.

Loved the first game, and I'm glad the sequel is coming to PC too.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I'm just holding on for the PC port impressions before i grab this. Very excited, loved the first one.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I beat the first game on PC back in 2022 and got partway through the DLC (Frozen Wilds) before life got into the way and I never went back to finish the DLC story out.

Can anyone recommend a good recap video of the whole story so far to get prepared for Forbidden West?

Yogi.

Feb 3, 2023
Enjoy those who have been waiting for a PC port. I don't understand why this series gets so much POINTED indifference (try being more indifferent about it). I understand it's not game-changing in any manner but damn it hits some good checkboxes for me and looks absolutely stunning. Excited to see how this one runs on someone's beastly rig.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
The ropecaster got nerfed and there's too many elemental strengths/weaknesses to keep track of but the new spike thrower is awesome so it's kind of a wash.

There is a lot more weapon variety in HFW compared to the first one, and the game pushes you to explore those wider options.

If you really like specific things about HZD's combat, you might find that they are de-emphasized here for better or worse, depending on your tastes.

I'll have to see but it sounds like I'll probably enjoy it. In HZD ultra hard mode I was amazed at how relevant nearly all weapons were for the one or other specific but very helpful use-case (with the sole exception of the rattler, basically). I mostly need decent balance and some more cool weapon mechanics.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017

Gravelord

Jul 19, 2023
is Forbidden West harder than Zero Dawn?...I hear it's more of a grind to get your weapons upgraded so I take that to mean you'll be underpowered for longer...in Zero Dawn once you got your various elemental arrows and bows you were unstoppable

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
is Forbidden West harder than Zero Dawn?...I hear it's more of a grind to get your weapons upgraded so I take that to mean you'll be underpowered for longer...in Zero Dawn once you got your various elemental arrows and bows you were unstoppable
Are you talking about Ultra Hard or Medium difficulty in Zero Dawn?

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think so. I never really bothered with grinding and I did my first run on the highest difficulty. You have a much bigger toolset than in ZD and the new Valor Surges are devastating. New weapon types like the Shredder and whatever those spike things are called slap as well.

Gravelord

Jul 19, 2023
Are you talking about Ultra Hard or Medium difficulty in Zero Dawn?

one step above the default difficulty

I don't think so. I never really bothered with grinding and I did my first run on the highest difficulty. You have a much bigger toolset than in ZD and the new Valor Surges are devastating. New weapon types like the Shredder and whatever those spike things are called slap as well.

is Forbidden West + Burning Shores a longer game than Zero Dawn + Frozen Wilds?

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Hope this does well so we keep getting single player PS ports, but damn that was a bad release date choice. Then again, the OG had good legs, so maybe this will pick up the pace with the first few 10%-ish discounts.
#14 in wishlists and #26 in top sellers. I suspect that launch numbers won't be "great" (probably 5 digit CCU) or close to HZD. But long term, will be a successful and a lot of people will be getting this through out the year.

Just really not a great launch window for this, the mind share on PC is currently all eyes on Dragons Dogma 2 and even Helldivers 2 still atm.

it should be successful long term. As I posted above, #14 in wlishlists so there is a lot of interest in the game. Just not right now

Only needs to sell 36K copies in the US to break even based on estimated costs from Insomniac leaks, which is nothing lol. The major IP Playstation PC ports have exceeded well over a million each; God of War, Horizon, and Spider-Man.
To quote myself from earlier

xenosys83

Mar 19, 2024
I imagine Nixxes will do a great job with this one.

They're been in the business of PC ports for a while now, and their most recent Ratchet & Clank port was excellent.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting on Humble to come through, hoping for some beautiful port optimization by Nixxes. Held off on really investing more than 20ish hours on console, so I'm excited to explore away from the comfort of the PC. I also really loved the Kb/m control scheme in their first port, hoping this is just as solid with the feel of aiming and dodging!

Bill

Oct 29, 2017
The news of this is inspiring a replay for me on ps5.

Ready to be blown away again by the quality of the performance character. The first NPC on the cable car is still one of the most ridiculously incredible things I've seen a game so. Character felt like they were real

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Oh shit I totally forgot about this. I loved the first one. My 4090 is ready - hope there's no performance-related nonsense at launch.

Phionoxx

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Interested in playing this at some point in the future. I've got too many games I'm (poorly) attempting to juggle and split time between. So I'll hold off and give time for patches and sales to come along before adding it to the backlog.

Hoping it's a good port. Really enjoyed the first game on PS4. I bought HZD on PC during a sale to replay it and go through Frozen Wilds for the first time but I still haven't actually done that.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Heads up for people who bought from cdkeys and are waiting to pre-load the game, they send out the keys now.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Well, maybe this game will have good performance to make up for the Dragon's Dogma 2 performance blues! 😭

AzureSky

Dec 11, 2017
loved this game a lot.
I know people often rant about open world being boring and i often agree (*cough* Ubisoft *cough*). This one is the real deal though, its good.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
How did the first game on PC bode with mouse and keyboard controls?

When I played on PS5 I had a VERY difficult time with aiming and had to stop my play-through because I couldn't get past it.

It's the only game I've had an issue with like this - likely due to the constant precision shots you need to make to very specific and tiny parts of the body.

Is the game alright with m+kb or is controller preferred?

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017

When I played on PS5 I had a VERY difficult time with aiming and had to stop my play-through because I couldn't get past it.

It's the only game I've had an issue with like this - likely due to the constant precision shots you need to make to very specific and tiny parts of the body.

It played well with m+kb, just about what you would expect from a 3rd person shooter game.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

The kb&m controls are fantastic. I originally played the game on PS4 back in the day and was very pleasantly surprised how much better it played with kb&m. I couldn't go back.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

I'd argue Horizon plays a million times better with a mouse and keyboard than on a controller. Fine precision aim required to hit small, fast moving weak spots on enemies was always a dumb move for a console game but it's a cinch with a mouse.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017

I never got around to getting stuck into it properly on PC but from what I have played it is really good with keyboard and mouse. I played though it on PS4 originally and I think it plays better on PC with k&m (though that comes down to preference more than anything else I think.)

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It played well with m+kb, just about what you would expect from a 3rd person shooter game.

The kb&m controls are fantastic. I originally played the game on PS4 back in the day and was very pleasantly surprised how much better it played with kb&m. I couldn't go back.

I'd argue Horizon plays a million times better with a mouse and keyboard than on a controller. Fine precision aim required to hit small, fast moving weak spots on enemies was always a dumb move for a console game but it's a cinch with a mouse.

I never got around to getting stuck into it properly on PC but from what I have played it is really good with keyboard and mouse. I played though it on PS4 originally and I think it plays better on PC with k&m (though that comes down to preference more than anything else I think.)

Fantastic news, thanks for the lighting fast replies haha!

I've owned the game on PS5 since release and only played a handful of hours so this will be a nice change!

Thanks again!