Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Big fucking congrats to Arrowhead. As someone who've been following them since the Magicka days, they absolutely deserve it.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I think it's less about how console fans feel and more of the fact that they have multiple consoles they want to sell lol.
Especially when their first party output is going to increase in the next couple years which will guarantee more console sales.

They would still sell similar amount of those consoles regardless, and we're at the latter-half of PS5 life anyway.

As for their studio outputs; their GAAS titles will be console+PC day-1, Marvel titles would benefit greatly for being multiplatform (and make Disney happier), and rest can be evaluated per title basis and measure ROI% between PlayStation-first vs multiplatform release. Only thing guarantee to increase console sales significantly is GTA6.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats on delivering an incredible game, Arrowhead. I would have never imagined this level of accomplishment in my wildest dreams for this game lol.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Sony are looking at this and will now seriously consider releasing every game day and date on pc i reckon

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
One metric I like to look at that foreshadowed this is subreddit members.

Before the game's release it had around 20k members and within 1 month this 25x to 500k. Few games manage that kind of growth (BG3 is another example).

Of course it depends on the type of game as well. Both BG3 and Helldivers went viral thanks to memes which their respective subreddits are filled with.

Yeah i already linked the trailer earlier
I think that poster just remembered the first half
Gotcha, makes sense.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Sony's live service pivot is off to a goddamned great start with HD2 beating every other PS franchise.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Happy for Arrowhead. Please don't interfere Sony & just let them cook.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
yeah kinda fascinating they managed to hit such a golden goose on their first gaas outing.
hopefully it won't set unrealistic expectations for the stuff that follows.
lol who am i kidding.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
Arrowhead definitely tapped into some netherworld-like Goldeneye magic with this game. Pure, unadulterated multiplayer fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if I was Playstation I'd go to Arrowhead and ask them if they'd have any interest in the Warhawk IP.

Helldivers gameplay feels like it would be absolutely perfect for the basic ground gameplay of a new Warhawk.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Hopefully this gets Sony to rethink things. Obviously there is a strong market for a game of reasonable scope and price that they seem to of abondoned over the years in favour of huge budget games that never see the light of day like Tlou online.

Oct 27, 2017
That beats God of War Ragnarok's record right? Just wild.

Sort of. Ragnarok sold 11 million copies from launch in just under 3 months (9th November to 1st February when it was reported: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...smashes-through-a-staggering-11-million-sales), so they're on a very similar sales trajectory for sure - although Helldivers 2 has experienced sales growth after launch while I'm betting Ragnarok was front-loaded like most AAA releases.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Massive numbers, and seemingly healthy legs as well. This has a great shot at being this year's best selling game.

Any chance Sony buys them now ?

I certainly hope not, considering all the acquisition-related layoffs and studio closures the last few years. Let Arrowhead manage themselves, as they seem to be doing a solid job at it.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this gets Sony to rethink things. Obviously there is a strong market for a game of reasonable scope and price that they seem to of abondoned over the years in favour of huge budget games that never see the light of day like Tlou online.

This is a huge budget game that was in making for 7 years with studio that 100 plus people .
It be cheaper due to fact that arrowhead is in a cheaper place than ND but this will be more reason for them to double down on GaaS and big budget games.
This is what they were planing . make GaaS games and put on PC an d PS and hope one blows which happen sooner than people though would happen .

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
I remember saying right at the start of the year that this game has a chance to hit it off with streamers and being more succesful that SSKTJL and getting some pushback and my view being called optimistic

this isn't me trying to gloat, it's just funny how those two games weren't even in the same stratosphere in terms of success, which even I would have never predicted

anyway, congrats to AH, they spent a long time developing this and they've made a truly fun game to play

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Sony are looking at this and will now seriously consider releasing every game day and date on pc i reckon
It's a tough equation to balance. First of all, Sony shouldn't expect that all their IPs will perform in similar PC/console ratios as Helldivers. In addition, there are very specific financial benefits from keeping certain games exclusive to one platform (30% from each game sold and Plus subs).

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
It's a tough equation to balance. First of all, Sony shouldn't expect that all their IPs will perform in similar PC/console ratios as Helldivers. In addition, there are very specific financial benefits from keeping certain games exclusive to one platform (30% from each game sold and Plus subs).
True however i think they will try and bring Plus to pc at some point

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Me and my five other friends all bought in.

Wouldn't it be funny if this is the game included in the Winter 2024 PS5 bundle?

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
giphy.gif

Jul 2, 2021
Sony's live service pivot is off to a goddamned great start with HD2 beating every other PS franchise.
Yeah MLB The Show 24 keeps trucking along with good sales and microtransactions. Helldivers 2 is great. Destiny 2: The Final Shape is looking really good. Now let's see how Concord and Fairgamedollar are.
TLOU Online getting canceled was bad. But it's better for Naughty Dog imho. Focus on what you do best. Great singleplayer games.
That beats God of War Ragnarok's record right? Just wild.
Unit sales? Yes, it's a little bit better. But God of War made more money.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sort of. Ragnarok sold 11 million copies from launch in just under 3 months (9th November to 1st February when it was reported: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...smashes-through-a-staggering-11-million-sales), so they're on a very similar sales trajectory for sure - although Helldivers 2 has experienced sales growth after launch while I'm betting Ragnarok was front-loaded like most AAA releases.

And Ragnarök was full priced, so kinda have to cut Helldivers' sales in half 😂

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they are preparing some kind of big event/mode for the later half of the year and also expand the team. I also hope that the financial model gets adopted by their other GaaS games in the future. Helldivers basically by having a lower starting price and mild microtransactions probably generate less money per player than sth like Destiny does BUT generate a massive player base which probably makes more money and costs less to develop.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
As someone who covered this game very early on, I can tell you that there was very little buzz even a week before launch.

To see that it's now the fastest selling PS Studios game ever is wild lol.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Meanwhile, at Sony HQ: "Those are great numbers! We've got to find a way to stop them from increasing!"

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
They struck pay dirt and should do their utmost to keep it rolling for as long as possible.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember saying right at the start of the year that this game has a chance to hit it off with streamers and being more succesful that SSKTJL and getting some pushback and my view being called optimistic

this isn't me trying to gloat, it's just funny how those two games weren't even in the same stratosphere in terms of success, which even I would have never predicted

anyway, congrats to AH, they spent a long time developing this and they've made a truly fun game to play

It's interesting to look at because between development + marketing Suicide Squad probably had about 3 x the budget of Helldivers 2, while people have been saying for years now it was an undesirable concept and it probably hasn't even sold 20% the number of copies.

And Ragnarök was full priced, so kinda have to cut Helldivers' sales in half 😂

Well sure, but Ragnarok was also part of a much, much larger franchise than HD2 so it had a guaranteed minimum sales number based on that alone. HD2 probably wouldn't have succeeded as a $60 or $70 game but it just goes to show that the release strategy was pitch-perfect (lower priced release + day one on PC).

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm waiting for Sony to somehow fuck this game up.
They tried to. But they failed.

I wonder if sales are affected by the drama/publicity of the past week. Player count have not seen an increase and not really a decrease other than expected.

And I REALLY hope it becomes available in all countries again

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I still have yet to bite. I know I won't be able to put time in and it kills me because it looks so fun.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
They tried to. But they failed.

I wonder if sales are affected by the drama/publicity of the past week. Player count have not seen an increase and not really a decrease other than expected.

And I REALLY hope it becomes available in all countries again
Sales are absolutely affected seeing how most of the world can't buy the game anymore on steam